Katz reported | The Boneyard

Katz reported

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Ollie Is Dream Scenario Case For UCONN. A Young Alum, Whom Recruits Love, And Is Unaffected With Following In Footsteps Of A Living Legend. I Think He Has Passed The Test Warde, Now Find A Way To Pay The Man. This Guy Outcoached Jay Wright And Tom Izzo, In This Tournament. Nuff Said.

Reaction Score
I really really really doubt Ollie is planning on leaving UConn. He's at his dream job. He's already made his statement. No more living under the shadows of JC. He's for real. We know it. The team knows it. The media knows it. The Kevin Ollie Era is HERE, and here to stay!

What satisfaction would Ollie get out of the NBA rather than UConn. He has no allegiance to any one team there. UConn, on the other hand, is the one place that always has loved him and wants him to stay forever.

A big extension is coming for Ollie. I'm seeing until 2025 at least.

Reaction Score
Just the type of person Kevin Ollie is it seems like he really enjoys helping kids develop. You don't get that in the NBA. He is here to stay.

Reaction Score
I really really really doubt Ollie is planning on leaving UConn. He's at his dream job. He's already made his statement. No more living under the shadows of JC. He's for real. We know it. The team knows it. The media knows it. The Kevin Ollie Era is HERE, and here to stay!

What satisfaction would Ollie get out of the NBA rather than UConn. He has no allegiance to any one team there. UConn, on the other hand, is the one place that always has loved him and wants him to stay forever.

All well and good, but they need to get his salary to acceptable standards. I believe that to be the 2 million a year range, which is a lot more thank I think he is making now. What did VTech just give Buzz Williams? That should be starting point.

Reaction Score
For all you youngsters that's how you get a raise! Ollie is teaching how to get it done the right, old school way.

Work hard, don't cut corners, don't complain, set and achieve goals, be committed, make a difference, provide positive contributions, etc.... Very hard to do, but most effective when done right.

He doesn't have to beg, his work speaks for itself and many others (teams) are hearing those words causing the right reaction.

Last edited:

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
Ollie Is Dream Scenario Case For UCONN. A Young Alum, Whom Recruits Love, And Is Unaffected With Following In Footsteps Of A Living Legend. I Think He Has Passed The Test Warde, Now Find A Way To Pay The Man. This Guy Outcoached Jay Wright And Tom Izzo, In This Tournament. Nuff Said.
No criticism intended, but not "nuff said." He did not get outcoached by Martelli, and he outcoached Hoiberg.

Reaction Score

There's another critical point here -- Ollie has already made $20 million in the NBA. That's probably close to (or even more than) what we paid Jim Calhoun in his entire career here.

So, while some young coaches who hit the big time are still paying down student loans and are otherwise under financial pressure to take more lucrative offers, Ollie lives a seemingly comfortable life in a place where he is loved, and has, literally, his "dream job."

That's not to say he would never leave, or that we should test his loyalty by low-balling him, but I think that he's not likely to insist that we break our bank -- especially while we're stuck in AAC land -- and if we're reasonable to him, he'll be reasonable to us.

Reaction Score
As for Ollie's current deal (the last few points are very interesting):
  • in calendar year 2014, he has a base of $400,000 and PR/consulting/media payments totaling $850,000, for a total of $1.25 million (this ramps up to $1.34 million in calendar year 2017);
  • car allowance of $15,000 per year;
  • a bonus of $5,000 a semester when the team GPA is above a certain threshold;
  • a bonus of $10,000 for an annual APR above 930, and a $50,000 bonus for a four-year APR above 930;
  • but if he gets an annual APR below 930, he gets NO bonus for post-season play and may get hit with a two-week financial penalty;
  • two consecutive years of APRs below 930 is just cause for suspension or termination;
  • bonus of one-month's annual base salary ($33,333.33) for winning a conference regular season championship;
  • bonus of one-month's annual base salary ($33,333.33) for winning a conference tournament;
  • bonus of one-month's annual base salary ($33,333.33) for making the NCAAs;
  • bonus of one-month's annual base salary ($33,333.33) for making the Sweet 16;
  • bonus of one-month's annual base salary ($33,333.33) for making the Final Four;
  • bonus of two months' annual base salary $66,666.67) for winning the NCAA championship;
  • bonus of one-half month's salary ($16,666.67) for being selected conference or national Coach of the Year;
  • buyout of $2 million in calendar year 2014;
  • either party can ask to re-open the deal after the 2015-16 season;
  • UConn can re-open the deal "within five business days of the last game of the season in any year for positive performance based reasons";
  • if UConn's conference affiliation changes, Ollie can re-open the conference and post-season bonuses

Reaction Score
From Jeff Jacobs' column today:

And that's why Manuel confirmed Monday night that he will enter discussions with Ollie for a contract extension at the conclusion of the season. He knows he has something special. He knows he wants to keep the magic rolling.

"At the end of the season, I'll sit down with Kevin," Manuel said. "We want him to stay our coach for many, many years to come. He's our coach."

Reaction Score
On day one of his hiring press conference when our program was in a challenging situation to say the least his comment was "this is my dream job" and he looked as if he was about to break down, that's how overcome with gratitude that he was getting this shot. On Sunday he told coach Calhoun "thank you for believing in me" as they embraced on the garden floor. Next year he's going to move into a Taj Mahal basketball facility and something good is likely to happen on his recruiting front after this year's final four. This summer a raise. I think we can put to rest loose talk about KO bolting to coach a bottom feeder NBA team.

Reaction Score
If he has a an agent, or some other advisor, it's tough to imagine signing a contract that doesn't allow for a change of heart. A great coach just might want a new challenge. However, any long term contract will need to include a clause that keeps him as one of the top 5 highest paid, or something similar.

Reaction Score
If he has a an agent, or some other advisor, it's tough to imagine signing a contract that doesn't allow for a change of heart. A great coach just might want a new challenge. However, any long term contract will need to include a clause that keeps him as one of the top 5 highest paid, or something similar.
Ollie has the benefit and leverage in that Warde Manuel is on an emotional high right now, subject to sign his life away. The time is so ripe for Ollie right now before Manuel comes down.

960x631

Last edited:
Reaction Score

The contract includes equal buyouts on both sides -- this calendar year, both sides' buyouts (his in the event of a pro or other D-I coaching opportunity, ours in the event of a termination without cause) is $2 million. The number ramps down after that.

As for opening things up, either party can reopen the deal for discussion purposes after the year after next (2015-16). Ollie can reopen discussions on his bonuses if we change leagues and we can reopen discussions on the compensation in view of "positive performance based reasons."

Frankly, I can see him leaving for the NBA someday, but not until after he's cemented our status as a permanent blueblood program, and not just a historical footnote associated with Calhoun. I'd say not earlier than five years from now, maybe ten, although that's his call and obviously subject to a number of extrinsic factors (like our conference affiliation, etc.).

Reaction Score
Until he gets 2-3 national championships he's not going anywhere. His goals are the same as Jim Calhoun's and KO is loyal number one and goal driven number two.

Reaction Score
This summer a raise. I think we can put to rest loose talk about KO bolting to coach a bottom feeder NBA team.[/quote]

The problem is, the team that wants him the most is far from a bottom feeder.

That said, I don't think he is going anywhere. But on the off chance he does....we probably end of with a guy named Calhoun as his replacement. I think that guy has some upside too.

Reaction Score
I don't know Ollie has bounced around in the NBA not knowing if the next year he would have a job. Coaching in the NBA would be the same thing. Warde and Freescotter were prolly the only ones that didnt want Ollie besides them Husky Nation loved Ollie form day one. This is where he planted his seeds 10 years or so ago this is home is where he belongs.

I'm no fan of Warde but giving Ollie is a first step

U

UCONNfan1

Not sure about 2025, but I do agree about the NBA allegiance. Didn't he play for 13 teams in 13 years? Or something like that? Either way he's said over and over UCONN is his dream job and he loves it here. He can make a ton of $ and not worry about getting fired if he has a bad year, like it seems you can be in the NBA. I just don't see his approach working with many of the primma donnas in the NBA either... They'd be like "10 toes what???"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom