Katie Lou to Indiana Fever | The Boneyard

Katie Lou to Indiana Fever

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
The Next reports KLS will be headed to Indianapolis this season. Both Samulesons are heading east: her sister, Karlee, signed with the Washington Mystics.

The Indiana have agreed to a two-year, full protection contract with Katie Lou Samuelson, adding the versatile forward as she returns to the WNBA after missing the 2023 season due to pregnancy — giving birth to Aliya Renae in August 2023. The Fever won a spirited bidding war for Samuelson's services, with six teams making serious offers to obtain the former University of Connecticut standout.

BTW, this is the first day free agents can sign with their teams in the WNBA. Active thread over in the General area if you're interested.

ochoopsfan

OC Hoops Fan
Reaction Score
From the Next article

The Fever’s on-court prospects, combined with a situation that is family-friendly — Samuelson’s husband, Devin Cannady, grew up just two hours north of Indianapolis, in Mishawaka, and has family in the state ready to help the young family — made Indiana’s pitch the winner.

“She’s a mom and she wants to go back and play professional basketball,” Auriemma said. “So
I’m really happy for because sometimes kids lose their love of the game when something like that happens. And I think she’s on the right team.”

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
I just might have to go see them when the Fever come to Vegas. It would be nice to watch two former UConn grads play. Kiah just resigned with the Aces and Lou with the Fever, both have NC rings.

Reaction Score
Go Lou!

She is only 26, lots of basketball to be played!
Agreed, Huskee11!

Before pregnancy, KLS was developing into an excellent pro, having shone in Europe, being a starter for most of the '21 and '22 WNBA seasons, and excelling in 3-on-3 ball leading up to the '20 Olympics before Covid likely cost her a medal.

If she's up to the challenge, she could well be stepping into a Fever situation that's soon headed for title contention. Aliyah Boston and NaLyssa Smith are two of the better young WNBA players, Grace Berger and Lexie Hull bring their own unique talents, veterans such as Kelsey Mitchell and Victoria Vivians bring lots of experience, and all of that in the pot could well be stirred come springtime by one Caitlin Clark.

Good luck, Katie Lou. I hope you finally get the good break you've sought in the WNBA!:cool:

Reaction Score
The Fever with the addition of CC or Paige could be a contender. Very young and talented roster that just needs someone to lead them.

Reaction Score
Just for information I read that Kia Nurse has been traded to the LA Sparks.

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
Just for information I read that Kia Nurse has been traded to the LA Sparks.
Yup.
3 p.m. ET: The Los Angeles Sparks have acquired All-Star guard Kia Nurse and the No. 4 pick in the 2024 WNBA draft from the Seattle Storm, who received the Sparks' 2026 first-round pick. Nurse was drafted by the New York Liberty 10th overall in 2018, and has averaged 9.7 points, 2.7 rebounds and 1.8 assists in five seasons in the league with the Liberty from 2018 to 2020, Phoenix Mercury in 2021 and the Storm in 2023.

FWIW, very active thread on WNBA in the General Section on all Free Agent/trade transactions on top of KLS/Kia and other UConn alums!

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Lou was definitely developing. I think I'd play her over Hull and Vivians. She will give them more balance with the front court of Smith and Boston. As Geno notes, she is smart, and she has always been a shooter/scorer. Add in the 1st overall draft pick, and the Fever should be a playoff team. Who will that pick be? My guess is Caitlin, who may prefer to stay in the Midwest.

Indiana has rarely had any Huskies on the roster. I think Kelly Schumacher many years ago, Bria when she was dealing with an injury, and Crystal briefly on a short-term contract. Of course, I'll support Lou. She's a candidate for MIP, in my opinion.

Blueballer

Transhumanist Consultant
Reaction Score
It amazes me how these WNBA players just bounce from team to team every year. No matter how well they did for a team they let them walk or trade them. There's so little continuity with these teams. Hard to develop chemistry let alone fan familiarity.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
It amazes me how these WNBA players just bounce from team to team every year. No matter how well they did for a team they let them walk or trade them. There's so little continuity with these teams. Hard to develop chemistry let alone fan familiarity.

The hard salary cap has been a major factor. Add in free agency, and you have forces pushing both management and players to make changes.

Reaction Score
The hard salary cap has been a major factor. Add in free agency, and you have forces pushing both management and players to make changes.
The dominance of NY in the east and LV in the west also has been a factor in teams looking for some type of change in order to diminish the talent gap between them and the two dominant teams.

Reaction Score
What a nice addition to the Fever's roster. If Caitlin Clark declares for the draft & she goes to Indiana, the Fever could be a huge problem in the East. CC teaming up with Aliyah, NaLyssa, and one of the best players in the game with the coldest mid-range games in Grace Berger. Throw in Katie Lou & Lexie Hull. The Fever could be pretty powerful.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom