Katie Lou — Record Breaker | The Boneyard

Katie Lou — Record Breaker

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
You heard it here first. Katie Lou will leave UConn with the record for the most threes made. I know, I know, some of you don't want to hear that. But,

"Katie Lou Samuelson is off to one of the best offensive starts in UConn history and when I got home from Orlando I started checking around. The UCF win marked the 50th game in Samuelson's career and the only player in program history with more 3-pointers through 50 games is fellow Mater Dei (Calif.) High School graduate Kaleena Mosqueda-Lewis.

Mosqueda-Lewis had 128 points through 50 games, Samuelson has 122, Diana Taurasi had 118 followed by Bria Hartley and Maya Moore with 90."
-Jim Fuller

Jim's full article [HERE]

Why will Lou surpass KML? Because she sets up faster and has a faster release, and she has two and a half more years to ply her trade with much more confidence than her first year and a half. It's a fait accompli.

upload_2017-1-2_19-51-24.png

Reaction Score
I don't see it. It will be close, and I agree with Jim's observation. The thing is that Lou will be a central figure for her whole career, but the minutes won't be there. I think she will be an AA and be on the wall etc, etc, but she is not going to be playing 32 - 35 minutes/game after this season IMHO.

Reaction Score
50 game mark comparing KML and KLS is a bit deceptive. KML really heated up on 3's 2nd half of her soph year.

KML frosh 93 soph 118 jr 66 sr 121 = 398. KLS frosh 78 soph (128 pace based on 38 games) that would still put her behind KML after 2 years by 5. KML only had 66 3's jr year. That's where KLS can make up a lot of ground as KML had 121 senior year.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Hard to say. Right now Lou is a focal point of the offense and she is playing a lot of minutes. Next year the reinforcements get here. A lot of scorers and fewer minutes for Lou.

Reaction Score
Hard to say. Right now Lou is a focal point of the offense and she is playing a lot of minutes. Next year the reinforcements get here. A lot of scorers and fewer minutes for Lou.

It's also about efficiency beyond minutes. She will have to be really efficient. Look at last game she got just 12 shots. That's always what keeps UConn great scorers down from what they would be at other schools b/c you don't get as many shots. Stewie only avg like 14 shots/game last year as the best player in the country.

Reaction Score
You heard it here first. Katie Lou will leave UConn with the record for the most threes made. I know, I know, some of you don't want to hear that. But,

Why will Lou surpass KML? Because she sets up faster and has a faster release, and she has two and a half more years to ply her trade with much more confidence than her first year and a half. It's a fait accompli.

Don't really know whether she will break that three point record, not because she isn't capable of doing it but because the UConn offense will be less dependent on her shooting during her junior and senior years..........[/ATTACH]
[/QUOTE]

Reaction Score
I don't see it. It will be close, and I agree with Jim's observation. The thing is that Lou will be a central figure for her whole career, but the minutes won't be there. I think she will be an AA and be on the wall etc, etc, but she is not going to be playing 32 - 35 minutes/game after this season IMHO.

You may be right, I was thinking about this. With Stevens playing next year the whole offensive schema may change. Right now Lou is the "go to" shooter. She'll have her opportunities next year but I don't expect it will be the same. Guess we'll see.

Reaction Score
Actually, Lou may have MORE opportunity next year, as the defense will need to pack in tight.

But, why are we even talking about this? No way that someone who has been so humiliated by Geno will have the confidence to shoot well (see the thread Geno A show: episode 1). :)

Reaction Score

She's also the focal point of defense. Hopefully those reinforcements will help loosen up the defense played against her.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
I love KLS, but KML had 100+ treys in two of her seasons. True, 2013-14 was quieter for KML due to illness and injury, but 2012-13 and 2014-15 especially were two mammoth seasons for her from downtown . And 2011-12 wasn't as prolific but hardly shabby.

KLS isn't there yet. That's not to say she can't shoot at the clip Kaleena did, but the proof will be in the pudding for 2.5 more seasons.

I will say that KLS has become a multi-dimensional scorer in college, so she's on an arc to be historically devastating. I'm just pleased as punch to have gotten two national #1 high school prospects from the state of California...oh yeah, that Diana kid too...

Reaction Score
Actually, Lou may have MORE opportunity next year, as the defense will need to pack in tight.

But, why are we even talking about this? No way that someone who has been so humiliated by Geno will have the confidence to shoot well (see the thread Geno A show: episode 1). :)

Not trying to nitpick but I'm not sure about that either as Stevens does much of her damage from fifteen feet out from what I remember of her Duke days.

Frankly, the only records I'm really concerned about are the number of NCs UConn wins during the next few years..........

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
Not really true. Stevens will be a scorer however Touly average 5 last year in 18 min per for KY. Walker will be a freshman and we see how that goes based on KLS last year and Crystal Dangerfield so far this year. Kia, Gabby and NC will be better as well but KLS will get her touches just like Stewie did and KLM did in their Jr years.

Reaction Score

My thoughts, exactly! She may actually go back to shooting more three point shots than two point shots in the next couple of years (as happened last season) which would actually make it MUCH MORE LIKELY that she'd surpass KML. Another thing is that unless she suffers some long term injury (heaven forbid) that she'll have a much more productive junior year than KML.

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
Like Geno, I don't care much for that type of record.
But I very much appreciate how the Samuelson/Auriemma combine
has changed Lou from a soft, spot-up 3-point shooter
to a nasty, physical, toughie; willing to mix it up in the lane,
get into passing lanes...and even rebound?
Wowsa.

I''m sort of sorry the nasty segment aired.
But in 35 years, after a sterling career;
she'll proudly show it to her grandchildren
and brag how the greatest coach in the history of the game ragged her to become
the complete player that she evolved into.

Reaction Score
[QPUOTE="JavaMan, post: 1967988, member: 5562"]You heard it here first. Katie Lou will leave UConn with the record for the most threes made. I know, I know, some of you don't want to hear that. But,

"Katie Lou Samuelson is off to one of the best offensive starts in UConn history and when I got home from Orlando I started checking around. The UCF win marked the 50th game in Samuelson's career and the only player in program history with more 3-pointers through 50 games is fellow Mater Dei (Calif.) High School graduate Kaleena Mosqueda-Lewis.

Mosqueda-Lewis had 128 points through 50 games, Samuelson has 122, Diana Taurasi had 118 followed by Bria Hartley and Maya Moore with 90."
-Jim Fuller

Jim's full article [HERE]

[/QUOTE]

Reaction Score
I love KLS, but KML had 100+ treys in two of her seasons. True, 2013-14 was quieter for KML due to illness and injury, but 2012-13 and 2014-15 especially were two mammoth seasons for her from downtown . And 2011-12 wasn't as prolific but hardly shabby.

KLS isn't there yet. That's not to say she can't shoot at the clip Kaleena did, but the proof will be in the pudding for 2.5 more seasons.

I will say that KLS has become a multi-dimensional scorer in college, so she's on an arc to be historically devastating. I'm just pleased as punch to have gotten two national #1 high school prospects from the state of California...oh yeah, that Diana kid too...
I'd be stunned if KLS didn't have well in excess of 100 three point baskets in this and her final two seasons for UConn. I'd talked early last season about KLS being as pure a shooter as KML last year and potentially being more potent due to her quickness and her size (height) and her quick release and nothing has changed that. KML played more and scored more in her first season in Storrs primarily because the Huskies weren't quite as potent back then as they were during Katie Lou's freshman year. That gave a 15 trey advantage to KML but unless injuries limit KLS substantially, I am quite comfortable she'll base KML's numbers handily.

Reaction Score

KLS is on pace for over 100 3's this year...44 thru 13 games

Reaction Score
As much as I like Katie Lou shouting it will not happen because the next two years her minutes will diminish tremendously as she will to share playing time with all the other good players.

Gus Mahler

Popular Composer
Reaction Score
Yea and verily. Forty-seven percent is brutal.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Right now Lou is also getting a whole lot of defensive attention - teams are not doubling down low on Collier or Williams, but add in Stevens and Camara and you will see more guards cheating in, giving Lou an extra couple of feet. It will be interesting - I also think with fewer minutes her legs will stay fresher and she won't have as many games where she goes 3-5/4-6 in the first half and then 1-5 in the second. She may not get the minutes but she may be more productive in the minutes she gets.
If she stays healthy who know, but the NCAA record will probably be far away by then. The uconn record is possible but I'll wait to start a count down for a couple of years!

Gus Mahler

Popular Composer
Reaction Score
Abstracting away from her three-point shooting for a moment: Can you imagine her developing a post-up game including a baby hook? Things could get ugly.

Reaction Score
Based on 44 treys made in 13 games this season, KLS would have 128.6 treys assuming the Huskies advance to the Final Four and play 38 games. If that followed up for the following two seasons as well, she'd end up with 462 for her career. That would surpass KML by 64 treys. I'm not suggesting that will happen but it's sure in the realm of possibility and it gives Katie Lou a big buffer to break the UConn mark, don't you think????

Reaction Score
Right now Lou is also getting a whole lot of defensive attention - teams are not doubling down low on Collier or Williams, but add in Stevens and Camara and you will see more guards cheating in, giving Lou an extra couple of feet. It will be interesting - I also think with fewer minutes her legs will stay fresher and she won't have as many games where she goes 3-5/4-6 in the first half and then 1-5 in the second. She may not get the minutes but she may be more productive in the minutes she gets.
If she stays healthy who know, but the NCAA record will probably be far away by then. The uconn record is possible but I'll wait to start a count down for a couple of years!
I like your mindset and concur, that her possibilities might actually be better in subsequent years. As usual, well done!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom