Status
Not open for further replies.

pap49cba

The Supreme Linkster
Reaction Score

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
This is consistent with 16 and more teams in a conference.

Reaction Score
Well, don't you realize that they are taught from the crib that they are all "special"? We can't start teaching some of them so early in life that they are just average. How could they go through life thinking that?

Reaction Score
Should be starting five first team, second team, honorable mention and all freshman team. That would be 20 players total. Or get rid of the honorable mention and have 15

Reaction Score
Well, don't you realize that they are taught from the crib that they are all "special"? We can't start teaching some of them so early in life that they are just average. How could they go through life thinking that?
I think that it's safe to say that if you're one of the 15 best players in the Pac-12, you have a special talent.

Reaction Score
Let's just make everyone an All-American and be done with it. Not just players either. Everybody. Not just Americans either. The whole world. Dead folks too. Critters and plants as well.

Reaction Score
12 team conference should have 60 1st team players and 84 2nd team players with 36 honorable mentions. That covers the 5 starters and 7 subs as well as 3 walk ons. Everyone gets a blue ribbon..the "new" American way!

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I agree that each person should feel special and unique in some way. I also wish that everyone has unconditional love from their family. At the early ages, giving everyone a medal may actually be a good idea, but it should be phased out at later ages.

I'm ok with 10-player teams, especially in large conferences. But 15 is too many. I think a certain number of players should be recognized: If it's 20, there could be 4 teams of 5 or 2 teams of 10. Or 1 team of 5-10 and a bunch of honorable mentions.

The AP AA team still has only 5 players. That works for the purists. Maya Moore made that 4x.

Ozzie Nelson

RIP, Ozzie
Reaction Score
Carolyn Dweck, a fine and respected psychologist, has written about and conducted superb research on the perils of praise...basically she indicates parents/educators should minimize trophy mentality, and, rather, praise the effort involved. Such teaches a child to deal with failure, and indeed, encourages and promotes resilience.

http://www.ascd.org/publications/ed.../num02/The-Perils-and-Promises-of-Praise.aspx

ctfjr

Life is short, ride hard
Reaction Score
Who cares? If your conference makes the all (fill in the blank) team mean nothing, then it means nothing.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
The ACC had a 10 player first team, but only a five player second team.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
I can live with that - certainly there are years where there are more than 5 players worthy of first team honors and a total of 15 keeps it at an elite list of players. Some of the conferences are just ridiculous and it becomes sort of meaningless.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
I can live with that - certainly there are years where there are more than 5 players worthy of first team honors and a total of 15 keeps it at an elite list of players. Some of the conferences are just ridiculous and it becomes sort of meaningless.

I wish they listed the actual number of votes the players received. You figure Thomas, McBride, Loyd, and Liston were the top 4.... wonder who had the 5th highest total. I assume it was between DeShields, Howard (FSU), and Marshall.

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score

Justification for posters on ACC message boards to launch a big discussion about the All-ACC team having a "thin bench."

Or is that only done here?:rolleyes:

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Carolyn Dweck, a fine and respected psychologist, has written about and conducted superb research on the perils of praise...basically she indicates parents/educators should minimize trophy mentality, and, rather, praise the effort involved. Such teaches a child to deal with failure, and indeed, encourages and promotes resilience.

http://www.ascd.org/publications/ed.../num02/The-Perils-and-Promises-of-Praise.aspx
As with most things, I think a balanced approach is appropriate. Praising effort is great. Some kids don't get enough affirmation. But I've seen some, at the other end, who are stunned when they don't get admitted to Harvard. Life is full of wins and losses, success and failure. But kids, in my view, should be introduced to the negatives at an age when they can handle them. They also should get a hug from a loved one after a loss. At some point, ideally, the kids grow to the point where they can withstand the rigors of playing for Geno. Kids who got no affirmation, as well as those who were told they were perfect, will not survive playing for Geno.

Reaction Score
Ridiculous: there only five starters, period. Better to have a 1st team, a 2nd team and so on down to a 10th (to make some people happy).

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
As with most things, I think a balanced approach is appropriate. Praising effort is great. Some kids don't get enough affirmation. But I've seen some, at the other end, who are stunned when they don't get admitted to Harvard. Life is full of wins and losses, success and failure. But kids, in my view, should be introduced to the negatives at an age when they can handle them. They also should get a hug from a loved one after a loss. At some point, ideally, the kids grow to the point where they can withstand the rigors of playing for Geno. Kids who got no affirmation, as well as those who were told they were perfect, will not survive playing for Geno.

What Dweck is saying is that your affirmation should be directed in a different direction than in 'trophies' or relative 'success'. So actual winning or losing doesn't matter as much as the effort/work/persistence you put into something. The latter is rewarded, so affirmation is still there, just with a different emphasis.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
ACC's ten-person First Team is the basketball equivalent of "everyone gets a pony."

Just curious as to who you would pick as the fifth member of 5 player first team ? I assume we can agree on Thomas, Loyd, McBride, and Liston. Would you pick Howard, Marshall.. or someone else ? I think i would pick Marshall.... but its a coin-flip between the two

RadyLady

The Glass is Half Full
Reaction Score
Let's just make everyone an All-American and be done with it. Not just players either. Everybody. Not just Americans either. The whole world. Dead folks too. Critters and plants as well.

I have one cat whom I would need to leave off the list. He has been particularly

CamrnCrz1974

Good Guy for a Dookie
Reaction Score
Just curious as to who you would pick as the fifth member of 5 player first team ? I assume we can agree on Thomas, Loyd, McBride, and Liston. Would you pick Howard, Marshall.. or someone else ? I think i would pick Marshall.... but its a coin-flip between the two

DeShields.

I would have Marshall on my Second Team.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
DeShields.

I would have Marshall on my Second Team.

:oops: #23 is gonna be the bane of my existence until April of 2017. I might have to change my cell number to avoid the calls and texts from tarheel fans that I know :oops:

Reaction Score
Having coached HS Wrestling and other sports for 32 years, I have seen the best and worst of all-star teams! There are 2 schools of thought on the picking of all-star teams, you pick the best at each position, 1 Center, 1 PowerF, 1 SmF, 1 PointG, & 1 ShootingG; or the 5 best athletes no matter what position! 3 PointG and 2 Centers, for example! Personally I want 5 of each position for 1st team, 2nd team & honorable mention! 15 total players!
Wrestling is great because the Champion of each weight class in the Conference Tourney was the All-Star! When coaches vote as in WBB, politics always rears it's ugly head!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LocalHits

Top Bottom