Kansas Scouting Report

Reaction Score
Kansas (6-1)
#8 in KenPom

This year’s stat highlights:

31st in Offensive efficiency

• 1st in A/FGM (76.9%)
  • 13th w/ a 59.8 2P%
  • 37th w/ a 38.2 3P% (but just 32% of FGAs are from three, 293rd)
  • 41st in offensive tempo
  • 163rd in FTA/FGA
  • 212th in turnover prevention
  • 266th in offensive rebounding rate

4th in Defensive efficiency
  • 8th in opp 2P% (40.4%)
  • 22nd in FTA/FGA prevention (22.5%)
  • 32nd in Block %
  • 94th in opp. 2P% (29.9%), but 293rd in 3PA/FGA (42.3%)
  • 102nd in defensive rebounding rate
  • 144th in opp. A/FGM (47.9%)
  • 183rd in steal rate
  • 311th in non-steal/block turnover rate

Results from key games (all games at neutral locations)
  • W 89-84 v Kentucky (KP 17)
  • L 59-73 v Marquette (KP 6)
  • W 69-60 v Tennessee (KP 9)

PROJECTED STARTING LINEUP:

Dajuan Harris 6’2 170 senior
  • 6.0p, 2.9r, 7.4a, 2.6 TO, 39.1 2P%, 40.0 3P%, ⅓ FGAs from 3, 1.4 FTA, 66.7 FT%

Elmarko Jackson 6’3 195 freshman, #20 in 247 composite, South Kent grad
  • 5.7p, 1.1r, 3.6a, 1.6 TO, 44.4 2P%, 1.9 3PA, 23.1 3P%, 40% FGAs from three, 1.0s

Kevin McCullar 6’7 212 fifth-year
  • 18.1p, 7.3r, 5.7a, 1.1s, 0.9b, 60.9 2P%, 1.1 3PM, 29.6 3P%, ¼ FGAs from 3, 4.9 FTA, 73.5 FT%

KJ Adams 6’7 237 junior
  • 10.9p, 3.4r, 2.6a, 1.1s, 0.7b, 1 3PA, 75.0 2P%, 25.0 FT%,

Hunter Dickinson 7’2 260 senior
  • 21.7p, 12.7r, 2.1a, 1.6s, 1.1b, 67.9 2P%, 1.1 3PM, 61.5 3P%, 15% FGAs from three 73.3 FT%

I’ll be honest, this is the first game all season where I haven’t been totally confident that we are winning the game. The #1 reason: Bill Self has a 292-16 record at Allen Fieldhouse. Whether it’s the environment, the fans or…the refs, Kansas simply wins at the Phog.

Before we delve into Kansas’ players, let’s focus on what makes Kansas one of the top title contenders. The program’s strengths are in its elite defense (its greatest strength is their interior defense) and free-flowing offense that shares the ball well and does most of its scoring inside the arc. However, as was apparent in the Marquette game, Kansas is turnover-prone and looked very ordinary in the halfcourt against Marquette’s pressure defense. Considering the similarities between Shaka Smart’s and Hurley’s halfcourt defense, the Huskies have a shot to agitate the Jayhawks, especially since Kansas limits transition offense opportunities. Of course, in Marquette’s win, Oso Ighodaro played 35 minutes and was the main ingredient in holding Hunter Dickinson to just 13 points. Incredibly doubtful that Clingan will play that many minutes, but he did hit 30 minutes in the Indiana game.

Speaking of Dickinson, his commitment to Kansas solidified their title aspirations as his skill set nicely combines the toolbox of Self’s classic low-post bigs with his adaptation to embracing spacing and ball-movement. Dickinson is not only an elite low-post big: over the offseason, Self called Dickinson the second-best passer on the team, behind Harris.

Now in his fourth year at Kansas, Harris has steadily gained the reputation as one of the most poised and selfless two-way point guards in the nation. An efficient perimeter scorer (career 39.6 3P%), Harris is more of a penetrator than a shooter, however, according to @HuskyHawk , his “limited hops makes it hard to score in traffic. Newton is a really tough matchup for him on both ends, but Harris is quicker with the ball. I'd expect Harris to look to pass off penetration and get free for spot up 3s.”

Fifth-year returnee Kevin McCullar is my favorite player on Kansas and honestly one of my favorite players in college basketball. McCullar is one of those veteran, positionless players who combines elite two-way “glue guy” attributes with an ability to score in a variety of ways. McCullar is yet another great passer in the starting lineup and has stepped up in a scoring role in his second year at Kansas.

While Elmarko Jackson is Kansas’ highest touted freshman, he possesses the lowest usage rate in the starting lineup. Yesterday, South Kent head coach Raphael Chillious was kind enough to share his insight on Jackson and his adjustment to the college game: “I think he’s adjusting quite well in the role that they have him playing. To be a starter at Kansas as a freshman is a really weighty assignment. The good thing for him is that he is playing with extremely talented and experienced players. Therefore, what they need from him on a nightly basis may not be the same as it would be if he were playing on a team where they need him to get 15-20 points every night to have a chance at winning. He is guarding like crazy, attacking when the opportunity presents itself, sharing the ball, and being a terrific teammate. All of that contributes to winning.”

Few teams have four capable distributors in their starting lineup like Kansas and an elite athlete like KJ Adams provides above the rim balance to the offense at the power forward position. HuskyHawk writes “He can attack off the bounce, but more often cuts without the ball to finish at the rim. He's a good defender, quick feet and a very quick leaper. He's not as good a rebounder as he should be. Even playing center last year only averaged 4.3 rebounds a game. Adams is a poor FT shooter… It may be tempting to foul him.”

Screen Shot 2023-11-29 at 8.35.51 AM.png

BENCH DEPTH 11-15 mpg; only 25% of team’s minutes come from the bench (313rd in nation)

• Johnny Furphy 6’9 202 freshman, #35 in 247 composite
    • The Australian “big guard” is a high BBIQ, smooth shooting bench option.
  • Jamari McDowell 6’4 180 freshman, #88 in 247 composite
    • Athletic, undersized “wing” with potential, but now mostly a defensive option and secondary ball-handler.
  • Parker Braun 6’10 235 fifth-year, Santa Clara grad transfer vis Missouri
    • Efficient interior scorer with some perimeter game. Solid backup who can rebound, defend and protect the rim.
  • Nicholas Timberlake 6’4 195 fifth-year, Towson grad transfer
    • We all know about his scoring potential, but hasn’t broken out yet in Kansas as he is playing inconsistent minutes (just 9.3 minutes/game over last four). Not a strong defender.
Of course I’m biased, but this is arguably one of, if not the biggest game in college basketball so far this season. Battle of the last two National Champions. I’ll end with Manhattan head coach John Gallagher’s prediction: it will be a one possession game.

Let’s do this!!!

Reaction Score
I agree this has to be the most anticipated matchup so far this season in college hoops. Most excited to see how Clingan performs against a big like Dickinson and watch the chess match between DH and Self. On Dauster's podcast a Kansas focused writer for the Athletic said that Self may have Harris guard Cam and put McCullar on Newton. Really interested to see what Self does there. So many different ways for both coaches to attack can't wait!

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Fantastic work as always! Was looking forward to this one. It's a huge game for so many reasons, but one I rarely see mentioned is that these teams won the last two National Championships. If we had Castle, I'd say UConn would and should be favored given the lack of offense KU is getting at SG. Without him, it's very close.

Both teams will get better as a result of this game and will be dangerous in March. It's a terrific test for Clingan. Dickinson saw Edey enough that he's used to playing a guy that size. His last 3 games vs Edey 21, 28 and 22 points. He outscored Edey in all of them. He really is a very good offensive player. I think his defense looks worse than it is because he's avoiding fouls to stay on the court.

Reaction Score
Clingan has to be strong and forceful in this one. I noticed in the 2nd half last game he almost settled for shooting over the smaller defenders rather than dig into them. It works against them, but likely won’t against a guy just about his size. Gotta go into Dickinson’s chest and make him make a play.

Reaction Score
Our defense has a real chance to stifle them. A couple thoughts from someone that watches a lot of both teams.

Tristen has a huge opportunity on Juan. Juan struggles against bigger physical guards, and that is exactly what Tristen is.

Who guards Kevin McCullar? Is it Cam or is it Alex? Everything runs through him and Hunter, and if we can slow him down, that is good news.

Depth. Kansas has none. Furphy off the bench is starting to develop and he can shoot the piss out of the ball, but if we can get a solid game from Diarra and Samson, that should bode well.

I think this will be a low scoring rock fight. Can Dan Hurley finally beat a ranked team on the road?

I will be there with my uncle and cousin who are flying in from CT. I will start at The Wheel and then come up to the Bird Dog.

I hope everyone has an awesome time. Allen is a truly special place, and I am excited to watch my two favorite teams play.

Reaction Score
As the saying goes cut the head off the snake and the body will die. The head of course is Harris and 7.4 assists a game is extremely impressive. This makes Diarra a key piece if not the key piece for the Huskies. It was interesting after the New Hampshire game that Hurley specifically mentioned that Diarra was more important to the Huskies success than fans realize. I think it was foreshadowing. If Diarra with help from Ball can makes Harris's life miserable it will bode well for the us.

Of course, the stripe shirts will have their say.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
As the saying goes cut the head off the snake and the body will die. The head of course is Harris and 7.4 assists a game is extremely impressive. This makes Diarra a key piece if not the key piece for the Huskies. It was interesting after the New Hampshire game that Hurley specifically mentioned that Diarra was more important to the Huskies success than fans realize. I think it was foreshadowing. If Diarra with help from Ball can makes Harris's life miserable it will bode well for the us.

Of course, the stripe shirts will have their say.
It would not shock me if Diarra starts over Ball and takes Harris. Newton on McCullar. Cam on whoever is at SG because none of them are dangerous. There are a lot of interesting individual matchups here. KU actually needs Harris to start shooting more.

Reaction Score
It would not shock me if Diarra starts over Ball and takes Harris. Newton on McCullar. Cam on whoever is at SG because none of them are dangerous. There are a lot of interesting individual matchups here. KU actually needs Harris to start shooting more.

I think Ball will still start but Diarra will have more minutes assuming he can stay out of foul trouble. Some of his quick handed reaches will probably get whistled at Kansas, all the more reason to have Ball start off on Harris as well.

Reaction Score
@Hey Adrien! , thank you as always, I am taking a closer look at this scouting report than some others, so it's a solid read.

Seeing that Kansas likes to score inside the arc, and passes well, with cuts to the hoop and penetration, I think Coach Self will try to limit Clingan's minutes by drawing fouls on him. That changes the game immensely.

DC has gotten better quickly at not fouling very much; Kansas will test this. I'm sure Hurley has a counter for this.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Kansas (6-1)
#8 in KenPom

This year’s stat highlights:

31st in Offensive efficiency

• 1st in A/FGM (76.9%)
  • 13th w/ a 59.8 2P%
  • 37th w/ a 38.2 3P% (but just 32% of FGAs are from three, 293rd)
  • 41st in offensive tempo
  • 163rd in FTA/FGA
  • 212th in turnover prevention
  • 266th in offensive rebounding rate

4th in Defensive efficiency
  • 8th in opp 2P% (40.4%)
  • 22nd in FTA/FGA prevention (22.5%)
  • 32nd in Block %
  • 94th in opp. 2P% (29.9%), but 293rd in 3PA/FGA (42.3%)
  • 102nd in defensive rebounding rate
  • 144th in opp. A/FGM (47.9%)
  • 183rd in steal rate
  • 311th in non-steal/block turnover rate

Results from key games (all games at neutral locations)
  • W 89-84 v Kentucky (KP 17)
  • L 59-73 v Marquette (KP 6)
  • W 69-60 v Tennessee (KP 9)

PROJECTED STARTING LINEUP:

Dajuan Harris 6’2 170 senior
  • 6.0p, 2.9r, 7.4a, 2.6 TO, 39.1 2P%, 40.0 3P%, ⅓ FGAs from 3, 1.4 FTA, 66.7 FT%

Elmarko Jackson 6’3 195 freshman, #20 in 247 composite, South Kent grad
  • 5.7p, 1.1r, 3.6a, 1.6 TO, 44.4 2P%, 1.9 3PA, 23.1 3P%, 40% FGAs from three, 1.0s

Kevin McCullar 6’7 212 fifth-year
  • 18.1p, 7.3r, 5.7a, 1.1s, 0.9b, 60.9 2P%, 1.1 3PM, 29.6 3P%, ¼ FGAs from 3, 4.9 FTA, 73.5 FT%

KJ Adams 6’7 237 junior
  • 10.9p, 3.4r, 2.6a, 1.1s, 0.7b, 1 3PA, 75.0 2P%, 25.0 FT%,

Hunter Dickinson 7’2 260 senior
  • 21.7p, 12.7r, 2.1a, 1.6s, 1.1b, 67.9 2P%, 1.1 3PM, 61.5 3P%, 15% FGAs from three 73.3 FT%

I’ll be honest, this is the first game all season where I haven’t been totally confident that we are winning the game. The #1 reason: Bill Self has a 292-16 record at Allen Fieldhouse. Whether it’s the environment, the fans or…the refs, Kansas simply wins at the Phog.

Before we delve into Kansas’ players, let’s focus on what makes Kansas one of the top title contenders. The program’s strengths are in its elite defense (its greatest strength is their interior defense) and free-flowing offense that shares the ball well and does most of its scoring inside the arc. However, as was apparent in the Marquette game, Kansas is turnover-prone and looked very ordinary in the halfcourt against Marquette’s pressure defense. Considering the similarities between Shaka Smart’s and Hurley’s halfcourt defense, the Huskies have a shot to agitate the Jayhawks, especially since Kansas limits transition offense opportunities. Of course, in Marquette’s win, Oso Ighodaro played 35 minutes and was the main ingredient in holding Hunter Dickinson to just 13 points. Incredibly doubtful that Clingan will play that many minutes, but he did hit 30 minutes in the Indiana game.

Speaking of Dickinson, his commitment to Kansas solidified their title aspirations as his skill set nicely combines the toolbox of Self’s classic low-post bigs with his adaptation to embracing spacing and ball-movement. Dickinson is not only an elite low-post big: over the offseason, Self called Dickinson the second-best passer on the team, behind Harris.

Now in his fourth year at Kansas, Harris has steadily gained the reputation as one of the most poised and selfless two-way point guards in the nation. An efficient perimeter scorer (career 39.6 3P%), Harris is more of a penetrator than a shooter, however, according to @HuskyHawk , his “limited hops makes it hard to score in traffic. Newton is a really tough matchup for him on both ends, but Harris is quicker with the ball. I'd expect Harris to look to pass off penetration and get free for spot up 3s.”

Fifth-year returnee Kevin McCullar is my favorite player on Kansas and honestly one of my favorite players in college basketball. McCullar is one of those veteran, positionless players who combines elite two-way “glue guy” attributes with an ability to score in a variety of ways. McCullar is yet another great passer in the starting lineup and has stepped up in a scoring role in his second year at Kansas.

While Elmarko Jackson is Kansas’ highest touted freshman, he possesses the lowest usage rate in the starting lineup. Yesterday, South Kent head coach Raphael Chillious was kind enough to share his insight on Jackson and his adjustment to the college game: “I think he’s adjusting quite well in the role that they have him playing. To be a starter at Kansas as a freshman is a really weighty assignment. The good thing for him is that he is playing with extremely talented and experienced players. Therefore, what they need from him on a nightly basis may not be the same as it would be if he were playing on a team where they need him to get 15-20 points every night to have a chance at winning. He is guarding like crazy, attacking when the opportunity presents itself, sharing the ball, and being a terrific teammate. All of that contributes to winning.”

Few teams have four capable distributors in their starting lineup like Kansas and an elite athlete like KJ Adams provides above the rim balance to the offense at the power forward position. HuskyHawk writes “He can attack off the bounce, but more often cuts without the ball to finish at the rim. He's a good defender, quick feet and a very quick leaper. He's not as good a rebounder as he should be. Even playing center last year only averaged 4.3 rebounds a game. Adams is a poor FT shooter… It may be tempting to foul him.”

View attachment 93509

BENCH DEPTH 11-15 mpg; only 25% of team’s minutes come from the bench (313rd in nation)

• Johnny Furphy 6’9 202 freshman, #35 in 247 composite
    • The Australian “big guard” is a high BBIQ, smooth shooting bench option.
  • Jamari McDowell 6’4 180 freshman, #88 in 247 composite
    • Athletic, undersized “wing” with potential, but now mostly a defensive option and secondary ball-handler.
  • Parker Braun 6’10 235 fifth-year, Santa Clara grad transfer vis Missouri
    • Efficient interior scorer with some perimeter game. Solid backup who can rebound, defend and protect the rim.
  • Nicholas Timberlake 6’4 195 fifth-year, Towson grad transfer
    • We all know about his scoring potential, but hasn’t broken out yet in Kansas as he is playing inconsistent minutes (just 9.3 minutes/game over last four). Not a strong defender.
Of course I’m biased, but this is arguably one of, if not the biggest game in college basketball so far this season. Battle of the last two National Champions. I’ll end with Manhattan head coach John Gallagher’s prediction: it will be a one possession game.

Let’s do this!!!
On the efficiency numbers and Ken Pom ranking, would it be too big of a PIA to add Connecticut's numbers in blue on these? If it is, don't worry about it. I appreciate these write ups. They are "must reads" before the game.

Reaction Score
Dear God no. Why? Our slowest and worst on ball defender against their quickest guy? Cam has a perfect situation with Jackson and Timberlake, because neither are strong offensively (at least so far).
I thought Jackson was a strong, athletic guard that maybe Solo would match up better on. I also think Cam is better on ball than off ball. But you’re the Kansas guy so I will concede.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
I thought Jackson was a strong, athletic guard that maybe Solo would match up better on. I also think Cam is better on ball than off ball. But you’re the Kansas guy so I will concede.
Jackson is fairly athletic and has some size, but he's not really a threat to score yet. Harris is very quick laterally, a really good ball handler and would blow by Cam. Like a better version of RJ Cole. Since he shoots 40% from 3 and is a distributor, he's way more important to defend well. I think Solo will start on him, Diarra when he's in. But we do switch some, so who knows?

Reaction Score
DC has gotten better quickly at not fouling very much; Kansas will test this. I'm sure Hurley has a counter for this.
My guess is they try to drag Clingan away from the basket as much as possible. Dickinson is a top notch shooter and passer for a big and on top of opening up the lane, it will save wear and tear on a guy that has a tendency to get gassed pretty quick. Clingan having to play defensively on the perimeter and Karaban guarding Adams are my two biggest concerns. Going to be a tough matchup.

Reaction Score
Jackson is fairly athletic and has some size, but he's not really a threat to score yet. Harris is very quick laterally, a really good ball handler and would blow by Cam. Like a better version of RJ Cole. Since he shoots 40% from 3 and is a distributor, he's way more important to defend well. I think Solo will start on him, Diarra when he's in. But we do switch some, so who knows?
He doesn’t shoot much at all though, at least not this season. Cam won’t be guarding McCullar, but him/Solo/Has on Jackson/Harris/Timberlake would seem pretty interchangeable.

Reaction Score
My guess is they try to drag Clingan away from the basket as much as possible. Dickinson is a top notch shooter and passer for a big and on top of opening up the lane, it will save wear and tear on a guy that has a tendency to get gassed pretty quick. Clingan having to play defensively on the perimeter and Karaban guarding Adams are my two biggest concerns. Going to be a tough matchup.
I know Dickinson has played against Edey plenty, but DC is much more mobile....does that impact Dickinson's outside shot? doesn't this also help DC stay fresh as he's still working on conditioning?

Reaction Score
I know Dickinson has played against Edey plenty, but DC is much more mobile....does that impact Dickinson's outside shot? doesn't this also help DC stay fresh as he's still working on conditioning?
DC is more mobile than Edey but he’s not more mobile than Dickinson. It’s a tough matchup for anyone. DC in space against Dickinson is gonna be really tough.

Reaction Score
Dickinson has the edge on the perimeter - Clingan should be able to match up well in the paint.

Reaction Score
I don’t have concern with Clingan’s ability to defend Dickinson 1-on-1 in a vacuum. Dickinson is a good outside shooter but he’s not a guy that’s going to pump fake and take it to the hoop. My concern is that we’re going to have to toe the line of defending Dickinson and leaving the paint open or have Clingan defending the paint and give Dickinson a lot of good looks from the outside. A lot of Clingan’s value evaporates if he can’t protect the hoop.

Reaction Score
@Hey Adrien! , thank you as always, I am taking a closer look at this scouting report than some others, so it's a solid read.

Seeing that Kansas likes to score inside the arc, and passes well, with cuts to the hoop and penetration, I think Coach Self will try to limit Clingan's minutes by drawing fouls on him. That changes the game immensely.

If by some act of sorcery Dickinson gets in foul trouble, what will Kansas do? They rely on him for a ton of points. I don't think UConn has to necessarily rely on clignan to score, since we have a handful of shooters. Samsons ability to run the court could also tire out Dickinson who will have to play major minutes

Reaction Score
Great analysis!!
Initial thought is Clingan staying out of foul trouble is super-key to game and/or Samson impact on both ends vitally important. At Allen Field House it is even more likely that Kansas gets some whistle benefits early.

And as first road game of season not to mention careers for various Huskies I don't anticipate UConn shooting the ball well. Need to win this one with defense. That means great defensive games from either DC or Samson, + Karaban, Newton, Ball & Diarra.

Reaction Score
If by some act of sorcery Dickinson gets in foul trouble, what will Kansas do? They rely on him for a ton of points. I don't think UConn has to necessarily rely on clignan to score, since we have a handful of shooters. Samsons ability to run the court could also tire out Dickinson who will have to play major minutes
Great point.

49% of Kansas' scoring comes from Dickinson and McCullar.

On the other hand, UConn's top-four scorers average between 14.6 and 16.3 ppg. Our top two scorers, Spencer and Newton, attribute to just 36% of UConn's scoring.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom