Kansas Post Game Thread | Page 15 | The Boneyard

Kansas Post Game Thread

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
The report that Kansas can't shoot was way off the mark
They actually were shooting well from 3 between Dickinson, Harris and McCullar. Furphy is a good shooter too. But with Jackson and Adams, you have two non shooters in the starting lineup.

Reaction Score
I choose to believe Hunter Dickinson was pretending to not be able to hear the interviewer in the post game. Probably too much to ask, but if true, peak trolling and hilarious.

Reaction Score
Great game to watch. These games show where we're exposed and where we dominate.

Newton is a freaking dog. Man oh man what a college player he has turned into.

Low athleticism. Castle will help and so will coaching into February. Just remember how inconsistent Newtown was until then.

Excellent execution of extremely high level schemes on O and D. Again, coaching is dominant.

What lost the game was the home court first half burst, the lack of finding Clingan, Spencer injury, Alex's struggles and a hole at off guard.

Please do not simply cite FTs. Try to tell anyone on this team, who fought like hell, they would've won if they hit more FTs? A slap in the face.

Reaction Score
Adams going up for the alley oop and Karaban getting called for the foul for touching the ball, Kansas scores 2. Our next trip down the floor Karaban gets mauled under the basket no call Kansas goes down and scores. Completely changed the momentum
Exactly, and bilas commented on that poor no call as well as karabans phantom foul 5

XLCenterFan

CT, NE
Reaction Score
They don't make "must wins" in December. There is not and has never been such a thing. so let's not start with this.
Agreed. If last year taught us anything, it’s that you can take some L’s and still figure it out in the long run. No one game is a must win. However, you do have to win a bunch of them.

Reaction Score
UNC is a must win. Quasi home game. Should be ready to go
Man, so if we lose a December non-conference game the season is already over? What do I do with my tickets for the other games? Do I get a refund?

Calling basically any non-tournament game in CBB a must win is the height of lunacy

Reaction Score
Reaction Score
Such a fun game. Hope everyone enjoyed the atmosphere. It truly is the best in the country and it’s not particularly close.

The only thing that really matters as a take away from this game is that I hope Cam is okay. That foot injury is scary given his history.

Other than that, I would love for Dan to beat a ranked team on the road, but lucky for us the tournament in March is on all neutral floors.

Reaction Score
Agreed. If last year taught us anything, it’s that you can take some L’s and still figure it out in the long run. No one game is a must win. However, you do have to win a bunch of them.

Basketball is like everything else, right? Hurley puts a working model together and in order to improve it he's got to see where it fails the pressure test. Last year's Ls were so incredibly important to that team, opponents were exploiting their flaws until DH turned those flaws into strengths. Love my team, love my coach. They're going to be better than fine.

Reaction Score
I don’t get this argument, how does losing a big game on the road pay off over time? Did losing at creighton or at Marquette prepare us for the tournament last year? We won cuz we got on a roll and got out of the BE BS
Yes, pretty sure Dan Hurley specifically said it after the championship at some point. And Geno says it all the time

Reaction Score
Of course, last game there was a literal 6’7” mid-major guy guarding Clingan. An all-American candidate 7’ guy last night. Maybe there’s a difference there?
no kidding, of course there is a difference...but you take it to Dickinson, and force him to defend at times rather than limit Clingan to screen setting at 3pt circle alone...you think him getting 8 shots is good when we are struggling from perimeter other than newton???...what an arsehat response

Reaction Score
Clingan simply doesn’t seem ready for the lime light and all that comes with it.

It sucks to all the DC truthers out there, but he was fully out of his element. He needs a ton of work.
I actually think this may have been what he needed to move further in the right direction. He’ll get there. I think he’s on the normal UConn stud path. Lottery pick junior year.

Reaction Score
That didn’t stop him all game….,the REALITY is that Tristen made shots all game and Cam didn’t. So you want the guy shooting that DIDNT make them?

Smart

You don’t get to draw up a play off a missed FT with no timeouts. They were smart enough to run at Newton with multiple defenders, and there was no way he was going to get a look at the basket.

Reaction Score
no kidding, of course there is a difference...but you take it to Dickinson, and force him to defend at times rather than limit Clingan to screen setting at 3pt circle alone...you think him getting 8 shots is good when we are struggling from perimeter other than newton???...what an arsehat response

Setting a screen IS an offense and it DOES force Dickinson to defend. By the end of the game, Dickinson was exhausted from having to defend screens. It was the timely late 3s that beat us, not Dickinson's interior skill on either end.

Clingan can't post up effectively against a 7'2 beast of a man. He's not that good yet. His feet aren't coordinated enough unless he has exactly the right spacing, and he has meatloaf hands. You screen and roll hard and get Clingan the ball moving towards the hoop or give him an off-ball screen to get him to his strong hand. This worked twice with Clingan and once with Johnson IIRC.

This is exactly what the NBA wants from Clingan anyway. I doubt he spent last summer learning to post up like Sanogo. If he wants a paycheck, he needs to defend like a madman, rebound, be excellent in the screen and roll, and show some propensity for shooting from distance.

Dickinson is a darn good defender and with limited spacing last night because our shooting was so off, we didn't get as many opportunities as we would like putting Clingan in those positions he's comfortable in. It's unlikely we face a 5 as big, strong, and talented as him again unless we play Edey.

What we CAN'T have Clingan doing is banging for position in the low-post and making a post-move with 1-2-3 fakes to get a tough layup in. He's not Sanogo, and that's simply not part of Clingan's arsenal. We need to find him for a quick catch and turn or 1-dribble for a dunk, lay-in, or up and under. Otherwise, kick to it to a shooter. The longer he has the ball, the worse he looks.

Reaction Score
Clingan can't post up effectively against a 7'2 beast of a man. He's not that good yet. His feet aren't coordinated enough unless he has exactly the right spacing, and he has meatloaf hands. You screen and roll hard and get Clingan the ball moving towards the hoop or give him an off-ball screen to get him to his strong hand.
I guess other than the spin move, lefty mikan move that bilas complemented him about his footwork lol...

DH needs to give him more of a chance on low block, full stop...the lack of inside out game has us doing dribble handoff weave 25 feet from hoop against excellent D like last night....dickinson has much more chance to get in foul trouble by taking it at him...i do agree DC hands seem to be meatloaf like though

Icehawk

TFG
Reaction Score
That was a damn good game. To go in and get hammered by defense for the first 10-12mins, get down by a dozen and not give up? I've never heard such a loud game on TV, I can only imagine how hard that is for the players. I mean this is the Fieldhouse, Kansas has a 94.8% win record - it's never going to be easy.

No one thing lost the game, there were lots of little things that stacked up: Cam's foot, the noise, lack of foul calls (omg, poor Tristen must be bruised from head to toe; that "poke" OOB near the end that was clearly Diarra having his arm yanked), Karaban's continued shooting slump. There was a lot of good too though I think? DC met Dickinson and held his own, our team didn't fold under pressure, etc. This is definitely part of the forging process that will payoff later.

Tristen is one of the best guards playing the game today, screw anyone who says otherwise.

Props to Cam for grit but I honestly wish he had sat, the problem is that we don't have shooting off the bench really so I guess DH thought letting him play on was the best option. I hope the additional gametime doesn't worsen or lengthen the injury. Would have loved him to have passed back to Tristen for the final shot since he was shooting poorly but I don't blame him for the loss or taking the shot.

I have faith in AK, his shot was so off the last two games it's gotta be "something" and he'll get through it.

On to the next one, GO HUSKIES!

Reaction Score
I guess other than the spin move, lefty mikan move that bilas complemented him about his footwork lol...need to give him more of a chance on low block, full stop...the lack of inside out game has us doing dribble handoff weave 25 feet from hoop against excellent D....dickinson has chance to get in foul trouble by taking it at him...i do agree his hands seem to be meatloaf like though

Clingan is not an effecient low-post scorer. Get used to it. We have plenty.of inside out game, it just isn't a traditional post-up because neither of our bigs can do that.

Screen and roll, cuts, transition and putbacks. Kicks outs. Mid-post runner.

Also your use of ellipses is anmoying. Cut it out or you're getting put on ignore.

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
Such a fun game. Hope everyone enjoyed the atmosphere. It truly is the best in the country and it’s not particularly close.

The only thing that really matters as a take away from this game is that I hope Cam is okay. That foot injury is scary given his history.

Other than that, I would love for Dan to beat a ranked team on the road, but lucky for us the tournament in March is on all neutral floors.

Not only Cam, Clingan injured his forearm it looked like and the side line reporter said he had a foot issue too

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom