Kansas braces for changing consumer climate with ESPN3 deal | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Kansas braces for changing consumer climate with ESPN3 deal

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
...you do realize that the Pinstripe will be a Big Ten vs ACC match up right?

It makes sense for the ACC since they now have 4 teams to slot into that bowl (Pitt, Syracuse, ND, and BC)

Yes. It was a joke about a conference claiming NYC. The B1G is not going to claim NYC either. Just having fun. Of course it makes sense for the B1G and ACC to secure this match up.

Reaction Score
Actually, you know what - I think you're right. Looks like IMG bought out Host communications later so both links might be the same deal.

It's hard to tell if part of the original $6.5M/year deal was kept when IMG made that second deal f0r $7.2M or if it's all in.

They only have one deal. IMG pays Kansas a guaranteed price, and then goes out and tries to generate deals in excess of the guaranteed payouts. Some schools see nothing additional. Some schools share in the amounts above the guaranteed amounts. UCONN IMG deal pays more than Kansas'. Both you and Frank have problems coming to terms with the value of UCONN's licensing rights. How else could UCONN generate so much in rights and licensing when generating so little in their conference revenue?

It's right there in plain English. . ."At its core, Kansas' new deal with ESPN3 is under the umbrella of the school's seven-year agreement with IMG worth $6 million annually for its third-tier television, multimedia and advertising rights."

pj

Reaction Score
It just dawned on me what the BTN strategy is in New Jersey and Maryland. They don't give a damn if Rutgers or Maryland can draw flies - it's Michigan, Ohio St., Penn St., etc. that will draw the eyeballs. Rutgers and Maryland are essentially "Team X here" in this equation - in the middle of densely populated areas.

Brilliant.

Yes, and this is also why further penetration of the 7-state New England / New York region which has 35 million people and lacks major conference penetration (BC and Syracuse - 0.1% mindshare) makes sense for the B1G. It is UConn's major attraction. We have to build research/AAU and football/fan base.

Reaction Score
As I've been saying for some time now: KU and UConn to the BIG forever seals the basketball end & certainly strikes a major blow against ACC plans of being the "greatest ever basketball conference" or whatever Coach K was stirring up some weeks ago. (yes I'm loving this edit function, something conspicuously absent from FranktheTanks' site).

If you got to go with two more after KU & UConn, add the GD Red River Rivalry - then expansion is finally over and done with for the BIG. Plenty of basketball & football power & only two schools without AAU status (OU and UConn) - but they're flagships. All the pouting BIG fans complaining about "shifting demographics" can be joyful Tx is part of the BIG.

The desire of certain BIG fans to pick off the ACC is beyond delusional at this point, more so than OU & Tx to the BIG (people forget that Tx actually talked with the BIG around the time the SWC ran out of gas).. OU would genuinely consider the BIG if they knew KU was going or already in the conference - their ties with Neb are also understated.

Reactions: pj
Reaction Score
Easy, Texas, Oklahoma, Texas Tech and Oklahoma St. to the PAC12.
The B12 still has 6 members left, but they essentially become an AAC type outfit.

I got to say Big12 & Pac12 members wisely halted a Pac16 scenario in part because travel would be brutal . . . brutal. The West is not like the East Coast nor Midwest, far more spread out & the terrain additionally adds to commute times.

I'd say monkey around with Google maps and play out road trips between OU & Tx to much of the Pac12 - no one's going to make most of those drives. JHChrist, even TTech (Lubbock) has a nice little journey to the AZ schools.

Frankly, I don't see how UConn's going to absorb some of the costs in the AAC.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Do you really think people need google maps to know that people aren't driving from Oklahoma to Seattle or Eugene?

Guess what they aren't driving to Morgantown either.

Do people really drive from Austin to Manhattan or Ames or Lawrence?

Reaction Score
Do you really think people need google maps to know that people aren't driving from Oklahoma to Seattle or Eugene?

Guess what they aren't driving to Morgantown either.

Do people really drive from Austin to Manhattan or Ames or Lawrence?

Your last question, yes they actually do. Many of those Big12 schools road trip along I35. In fact, nearly every time Texas plays at Iowa State, Tx fans spill over into Minneapolis-Saint Paul. I've asked often enough if they drive. If they're driving to Ames, they're quite likely road tripping to the others, since they are shorter drives.

Austin to Ames can be driven in 14 hours, maybe less. Austin to Seattle, man that's more than a day - you bet I'd be flying - and that's the case for many other Pac12 schools if Tx joined. As for Morgantown, well it's pretty obvious why WVa has been called an island in the Big12 and travel expenses were raised as a huge concern after their first football season.

UConn would certainly have travel issues in the BIG, but at least Rutgers, Md, PSU, OSU and the Michigan schools would fall under 11 hours drive.

Reaction Score
I got to say Big12 & Pac12 members wisely halted a Pac16 scenario in part because travel would be brutal . . . brutal. The West is not like the East Coast nor Midwest, far more spread out & the terrain additionally adds to commute times.

I'd say monkey around with Google maps and play out road trips between OU & Tx to much of the Pac12 - no one's going to make most of those drives. JHChrist, even TTech (Lubbock) has a nice little journey to the AZ schools.

Frankly, I don't see how UConn's going to absorb some of the costs in the AAC.

You'd be surprised at what a RT ticket to Dallas, Houston, Orland, Tampa, New Orleans costs. Memphis is OK and only Tulsa is problematic. East Carolina on the other hand is both cheap and a nightmare. The flight down to Raleigh Durham is easy, but then a bus for many hours. Holy hell.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
You'd be surprised at what a RT ticket to Dallas, Houston, Orland, Tampa, New Orleans costs. Memphis is middling and only Tulsa is problematic. East Carolina on the other hand is both cheap and a nightmare. The flight down to Raleigh Durham is easy, but then a bus for many hours. Holy hell.

Greenville is like an hour and a half from Raleigh...

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Your last question, yes they actually do. Many of those Big12 schools road trip along I35. In fact, nearly every time Texas plays at Iowa State, Tx fans spill over into Minneapolis-Saint Paul. I've asked often enough if they drive. If they're driving to Ames, they're quite likely road tripping to the others, since they are shorter drives.

Austin to Ames can be driven in 14 hours, maybe less. Austin to Seattle, man that's more than a day - you bet I'd be flying - and that's the case for many other Pac12 schools if Tx joined. As for Morgantown, well it's pretty obvious why WVa has been called an island in the Big12 and travel expenses were raised as a huge concern after their first football season.

UConn would certainly have travel issues in the BIG, but at least Rutgers, Md, PSU, OSU and the Michigan schools would fall under 11 hours drive.

I'd love to see a real number of how many people actually drive from Austin to Ames.

Ames is 3 hours south of Minneapolis.
So they drive 15 hours from Austin to Ames and then tack on another 6 hours round trip by driving to Minneapolis? That's absurd. There is no way that people spill into Minneapolis as a course of driving to Ames IA from Austin TX.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Yes, by plane.

Dude what are you talking about. Look at a map.

Greenville is like 80 miles from Raleigh.

pyrybe3y.jpg

Reaction Score
and with the new by passes now in place. it's an easy ride from Raleigh. 4 lanes all the way. 1.5 hours is correct.

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
and with the new by passes now in place. it's an easy ride from Raleigh. 4 lanes all the way. 1.5 hours is correct.
By plane

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
By plane

I can't wait for Upstater's spirited defense of many hours between Greenville and Raleigh. Somehow I picture Greenville SC being involved.

Reaction Score
I can't wait for Upstater's spirited defense of many hours between Greenville and Raleigh. Somehow I picture Greenville SC being involved.

It's a special day indeed when Huskyfandan gets it and you don't. Then again, Dan always had a sense of humor.

Reaction Score
I'd love to see a real number of how many people actually drive from Austin to Ames.

Ames is 3 hours south of Minneapolis.
So they drive 15 hours from Austin to Ames and then tack on another 6 hours round trip by driving to Minneapolis? That's absurd. There is no way that people spill into Minneapolis as a course of driving to Ames IA from Austin TX.

Dude, I have nothing to lie about here, nothing at all. I also agree, it's absurd to do a 14 hour road trip and another 2.5 hour drive to Mpls. But, I'm an older man now & any road trip beyond 10 hours is tough, though my wife and I travel to Denver and Ft. Collins at least 3x a year via car. Back in my younger days, a 15 road trip with two buddies was easy: three 5-hour-legs a piece - not exactly difficult. Have you ever been to Ames? How about Minneapolis-St.Paul? It's not that hard to figure out why there is spillover into MSP, far more to do, an interesting city to visit (MSP) once every 2 to 3 years via a road trip. You might as well nail two birds, one much bigger and more entertaining to explore, with one stone.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
It's a special day indeed when Huskyfandan gets it and you don't. Then again, Dan always had a sense of humor.

Sorry if it's some reference I'm supposed to get. I shouldn't make the mistake of reading words literally I guess.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom