K-K-K-K-Kiah | The Boneyard

K-K-K-K-Kiah

Status
Not open for further replies.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Waited a while to throw this out, and if someone else noted this earlier I missed it and kudos to you: BUT, in the space of 90 seconds late in the first half on 4 defensive plays Kiah had a Block, a Block, influenced shot miss, Really Insane Influenced shot miss. Big time stuff. Not to be lost.

Geno-ista

Embracing the New Look!!!
Reaction Score
She has been so dominant on the boards and in the paint- it is almost unfair. Our role players are what is making us almost unbeatable. Kiah was a monster again. And I also loved Chong's minutes. She looked in control out there vs Duke. The moments didn't overcome her at all. She was a calming influence and she really helped run great offense.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
I'm glad you typed 4 "K's" before typing her name! :)

I've been sort of keeping my thoughts to myself on Kiah. But for better or worse here goes...

It seems the staff still feels at times she's not giving the right effort - even last night they brought in Gabby before Kiah, even tho Gabby got pulled right away. I do get that PT is earned in practice, but Kiah is what she is. A terrific defensive player who may never reach the "potential" that Geno thinks he sees in her. Or maybe she's satisfied going as hard as she feels she can go, not as hard as Geno feels she can go.

Either way she's a defensive force and I love seeing her on the court. in a tight game where more offense is needed, I can see him putting 5 pure scorers on the floor, but if you don't need all 5 positions to score, there's no one on defense I'd rather see out there more than Kiah.

I wish that Geno would accept who she is and play her for what he knows he'll get. Maybe I'm misreading it, but after 3.5 years, if she's not "gotten what the staff things she needs to get", it ain't gonna happen.

Reaction Score
Man, if Kiah could ever develop a consistent offensive game to just approximate her extraordinary defense and rebounding skills, she would be a member of the Huskies of Honor and a perennial WNBA all-star, no doubt.

That Gabby came into last night's game before Kiah was disappointing, but I'm sure practice play still dictates playing time, and Gabby must have earned the earlier minutes. :(

Last edited:

BigBird

Et In Hoc Signo Vinces
Reaction Score
I really love watching this young lady. Her post defense is amazing. But it isn't really an "offensive game" that is missing. It is her frustrating inability to hit those layups and 2-3 foot bunnies that get clanked regularly. I don't know the cause nor the cure. But UConn, as a team, leaves a ton of points untallied because of very short-range missed shots. And missed free throws too. Other than at Stanford, this hasn't had a consequence -- yet. I'd guess the Husky braintrust is more than a bit aware of the problem.

bschwartz

Popular Im-Poster
Reaction Score
Waited a while to throw this out, and if someone else noted this earlier I missed it and kudos to you: BUT, in the space of 90 seconds late in the first half on 4 defensive plays Kiah had a Block, a Block, influenced shot miss, Really Insane Influenced shot miss. Big time stuff. Not to be lost.

Just for you...
Kiah Blocks 1

Kiah Blocks 2

Reaction Score
I really love watching this young lady. Her post defense is amazing. But it isn't really an "offensive game" that is missing. It is her frustrating inability to hit those layups and 2-3 foot bunnies that get clanked regularly. I don't know the cause nor the cure. But UConn, as a team, leaves a ton of points untallied because of very short-range missed shots. And missed free throws too. Other than at Stanford, this hasn't had a consequence -- yet. I'd guess the Husky braintrust is more than a bit aware of the problem.
Well it's like Geno says about the difference between men and women: the men don't miss layups. That's not entirely true as I see men miss short jumpers and layups, but it's not nearly as bad as the women's game.

BigBird

Et In Hoc Signo Vinces
Reaction Score
Well, as I admitted above, I don't know with certainty what the fix is. But I have noticed, with help from my DVR freeze-frame, that when a bunny or layup is missed, it is often because the shooter doesn't get a visual fix on the rim. Looking at the backboard can work, but not as well as looking at the rim. Right?

Reaction Score
If the staff can convince Kiah to be more aggressive on offense, and Gabby Williams gets more meaningful minutes in important games, UConn will be eight deep and they will be the prohibitive favorites, if they aren't already, to win number 10 and three in a row.

bschwartz

Popular Im-Poster
Reaction Score
I think it makes two games in a row that Gabby came in before Kiah, though in fairness, Kiah came in like less than a minute later. On another thread, it was suggested that some players avoid passing it to her down low, and it does appear that way some times though not all the time. The thing is if she gets it in the paint, she almost always looks to pass it to the wing. It is frustrating to watch.

Kiah is my favorite story and player on this team. I have decided to focus on her strengths rather than her weaknesses. Good players find ways to make contributions and she does that. The team still needs her, and I think she will come through with her defense. Frankly, with the all the offensive firepower this team has, we're pretty fortunate to have such a defensive playmaker.

Reaction Score
If the staff can convince Kiah to be more aggressive on offense, and Gabby Williams gets more meaningful minutes in important games, UConn will be eight deep and they will be the prohibitive favorites, if they aren't already, to win number 10 and three in a row.
I think with Gabby's upside, you have to play her more than Kiah at this point. Kiah is what she is and likely isn't going to get much better no matter how much she plays.

BigBird

Et In Hoc Signo Vinces
Reaction Score
Good comments. A rotation of the two could work (and has).

Reaction Score
I'm glad you typed 4 "K's" before typing her name! :)

I've been sort of keeping my thoughts to myself on Kiah. But for better or worse here goes...

It seems the staff still feels at times she's not giving the right effort - even last night they brought in Gabby before Kiah, even tho Gabby got pulled right away. I do get that PT is earned in practice, but Kiah is what she is. A terrific defensive player who may never reach the "potential" that Geno thinks he sees in her. Or maybe she's satisfied going as hard as she feels she can go, not as hard as Geno feels she can go.

Either way she's a defensive force and I love seeing her on the court. in a tight game where more offense is needed, I can see him putting 5 pure scorers on the floor, but if you don't need all 5 positions to score, there's no one on defense I'd rather see out there more than Kiah.

I wish that Geno would accept who she is and play her for what he knows he'll get. Maybe I'm misreading it, but after 3.5 years, if she's not "gotten what the staff things she needs to get", it ain't gonna happen.
Kiah really does change the offensive mindset of the opponents. Where they feel that they can freely drive the lane when she is not out there, just her presence keeps them out, and alters the shots that they do get. Her timing and body control are the best that I've seen in a long time.

Reaction Score
Well, as I admitted above, I don't know with certainty what the fix is. But I have noticed, with help from my DVR freeze-frame, that when a bunny or layup is missed, it is often because the shooter doesn't get a visual fix on the rim. Looking at the backboard can work, but not as well as looking at the rim. Right?
It's like hitting your target on a spinning kick in martial arts. First the head comes around, spots the target, THEN the foot follows.

Reaction Score
I think Geno is playing Kiah and/or Gabby depending upon the situation. When he needs a spark and perhaps a threat to open up the defense, he can go to Gabby. But when the focus is defense and stopping the opponents penetration - Kiah gets the call.

When Kiah is in either the other team doesn't adjust and challenges her and she picks up a bunch of blocks (or poor shots) and rebounds, or they almost comically slam on the brakes and shoot from the outside.

ChicagoGG

Windy City Kitty
Reaction Score
When she hit that three, I was wondering if that is the first one she has ever made in a game? It was very cool to see her do that.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Kiah really does change the offensive mindset of the opponents. Where they feel that they can freely drive the lane when she is not out there, just her presence keeps them out, and alters the shots that they do get. Her timing and body control are the best that I've seen in a long time.

"Apprapos" of that point: In the last minute with a Dookie on the foul line, the Dookie clanked the shot and it came off hot an high. Kia casually stuck one are up, the ball stuck like to the foot of a Gecko (!) and she passed it along. Mind blowing - the only part of her that moved was that arm. :)

Reaction Score
Thanks for the clips!!

As I remember those blocks, they were absolutely devastating psychologically to Duke. Duke had some momentum, and Kiah, essentially by herself against attacks that could have further jump started Duke, absolutely smothered :( :eek: :confused: any hope that Duke might have been starting to build. They were game changers. :D Duke body language changed :oops: and UConn was energized!!! :p

Loved them and her game (yes, I wish the offensive part was fuller, but I'll take what she seems so pleased to deliver)

Reaction Score
Thanks for the clips! Kiah works so beautifully around the basket. She makes it look effortless.....except the slam in the preseason tourney..... and the Jewel Loyd block. Those were a little bit spicy.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score

Without those plays UConn still wins. But without that 3-pointer, my friend and I aren't getting out of Buffalo Wild Wings tonight after 4 drinks and 2 orders of boneless wings for $20.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Without those plays UConn still wins. But without that 3-pointer, my friend and I aren't getting out of Buffalo Wild Wings tonight after 4 drinks and 2 orders of boneless wings for $20.

Don't understand this at all, but I still love it!

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
They have a promotion, free wings to ticket holders if UConn scores 82 points. Kiah hit the improbable 3 for the freebie. It was funny in context as the men held the ball late on 81 the day before, much to the displeasure of the crowd.

Reaction Score
I think with Gabby's upside, you have to play her more than Kiah at this point. Kiah is what she is and likely isn't going to get much better no matter how much she plays.

Sorry, I have to disagree here. Yes, Gabby has a wonderful upside but Kiah just completely changes the complexion of a game. I don't think she has to get better to make the dynamic contribution that she makes. I feel totally confident when she's in the game. Her intimidation factor alone disturbs the offensive flow of the other team.

Someone else mentioned her timing and body position. On the defensive end she reminds me so much of the great Bill Russell

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom