Just wanted to remind everyone how great Geno is. | The Boneyard

Just wanted to remind everyone how great Geno is.

Status
Not open for further replies.

bruinbball

@biglurp
Reaction Score
Let's not forget he did lead a comeback win vs. the Kevin Ollie team on opening night. Not only did he lead a team to a National Championship he also beat the Men's NCAA Championship coach in a closely contested battle.

What a great way to start the season, and with the way it ended, I really hope they do it again!

http://today.uconn.edu/blog/2013/10/team-geno-vs-team-kevin/

HGN

Reaction Score
His greatness was on full display when he won the NC going 40-0 , with a short bench ; multiple injuries throughout the season , including the loss of one of his best players 8 games into the season ( Morgan Tuck ) ; and 2 walk-ons.

Reaction Score
His greatness was on full display when he won the NC going 40-0 , with a short bench ; multiple injuries throughout the season , including the loss of one of his best players 8 games into the season ( Morgan Tuck ) ; and 2 walk-ons.
To add one of his best 4 players at probably 60%, in KML for most of the season. This has to be one of Geno's best coaching jobs, to be so dominate with all the problems with injuries.

ctfjr

Life is short, ride hard
Reaction Score
To add one of his best 4 players at probably 60%, in KML for most of the season. This has to be one of Geno's best coaching jobs, to be so dominate with all the problems with injuries.

Please. . . I'm as big a homer as anyone but let's face it - He had 3 all-American starters in every game. He is a great coach but to me his greatest coaching job was DT's last year. His early 1990's were awesome coaching jobs even if he didn't win the big one till '95 (his 2nd best coaching year?)

Last edited:

CamrnCrz1974

Good Guy for a Dookie
Reaction Score
Please. . . I as big a homer as anyone but let's face it - He had 3 all-American starters in every game. He is a great coach but to me his greatest coaching job was DT's last year. His early 1990's were awesome coaching jobs even if he didn't win the big one till '95 (his 2nd best coaching year?)

I would put 2003 (Taurasi's junior year) as his best coaching job over 2004. Not to take away from what he accomplished in 2004, but for the reasons below, I think 2003 was his best ever.

Maria Conlon as a starter, the Valleys playing major minutes, a solid roleplayer in Jess Moore, and lots of talent, but unproven talent, in the freshman class (Turner, Strother, etc.). And this was after losing Bird, Cash, Williams, and Jones (the TASK class). Winning the national title and only losing one game, while beating teams that had a lot more talent (on paper) like Duke and Tennessee (and a lot of talent in the upper classes at Duke and Tennessee).

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
Geno delivered the moon that was expected of his team this year. It was a great team, one you might call the greatest ever, but to be at only six players deep and to unleash those six on Notre Dame to the tune of a 21-point victory- well, that's simply a masterpiece. IN fact, UConn's season and its team were also masterpieces, and Geno was behind it all. It's a fun debate as to which of UConn's glorious seasons was his best, but I can't help but feel anything other than utter gratitude and admiration for Geno. Thank you, good sir, for building a team that was supposed to be great and delivering the season we believed he was capable of.

Reaction Score
Let's not forget he did lead a comeback win vs. the Kevin Ollie team on opening night. Not only did he lead a team to a National Championship he also beat the Men's NCAA Championship coach in a closely contested battle.

What a great way to start the season, and with the way it ended, I really hope they do it again!

http://today.uconn.edu/blog/2013/10/team-geno-vs-team-kevin/
And in the final two minutes team Geno pulled all the women players and won with five guys on the court. Just saying..................

Reaction Score
I have always believed that Geno was the best basketball coach I have ever seen, women or men.9 and 0 in NCAA Championships. Are you serious!

Someone on the BY posed the question, "Could Geno coach the Sun. No doubt in my mind. He just has that something that no one else has. You can watch his practices and learn a little something. But he has that special something that cannot be emulated. Yes, he could coach the Sun. Hell, he could coach the Girl Scouts
to a champinship.

I am VERY proud to be a die-hard UCONN fan !

ChicagoGG

Windy City Kitty
Reaction Score
Geno delivered the moon that was expected of his team this year. It was a great team, one you might call the greatest ever, but to be at only six players deep and to unleash those six on Notre Dame to the tune of a 21-point victory- well, that's simply a masterpiece. IN fact, UConn's season and its team were also masterpieces, and Geno was behind it all. It's a fun debate as to which of UConn's glorious seasons was his best, but I can't help but feel anything other than utter gratitude and admiration for Geno. Thank you, good sir, for building a team that was supposed to be great and delivering the season we believed he was capable of.

Another great post, Alex. Totally agree!

Geno-ista

Embracing the New Look!!!
Reaction Score
I would put 2003 (Taurasi's junior year) as his best coaching job over 2004. Not to take away from what he accomplished in 2004, but for the reasons below, I think 2003 was his best ever.

Maria Conlon as a starter, the Valleys playing major minutes, a solid roleplayer in Jess Moore, and lots of talent, but unproven talent, in the freshman class (Turner, Strother, etc.). And this was after losing Bird, Cash, Williams, and Jones (the TASK class). Winning the national title and only losing one game, while beating teams that had a lot more talent (on paper) like Duke and Tennessee (and a lot of talent in the upper classes at Duke and Tennessee).
I concur! Him and DT figured out how to manufacture that NC- amazing!

Reaction Score
Those 2003 Final Four games were far and away the most exciting games we've ever played at the final four, collectively. DT's pass to Crockett against Texas was crazy and Ann's mini run while DT was on the bench in the second half against Tennessee in the NC game was awesome too.

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
Geno evokes memories of Bum Phillips's praise for Don Shula.

"He could beat your'n with his'n. And he could beat his'n with your'n."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog