Just Trying To Figure This Out | The Boneyard

Just Trying To Figure This Out

Reaction Score
Playing time is usually the reason given for players going elsewhere but Enoch and Jackson were on tap for major PT next season. As far as guards go we have 3 and with season injuries and game fouls you have to have 4. My head is about to explode. Don't expect anyone has answers to what's going on here.

Reaction Score
It will come out eventually. Could be months or years. And you will see a large thread labeled as such when it does come out. Another thread isn't changing that we don't know.

Reaction Score
The only explanation is that there's some really bad/toxic stuff going on behind the scenes. Kids are not lining up to play for KO at the moment...
That or word has got out that Ollie can't coach. Not saying that's the case, but it's a plausible explanation.

Reaction Score
drrrrrrrr
SuperStock_4186-4127-225x176.jpg

Reaction Score
Vance was not necessarily in line for major PT next year.
He wasn't? He would at worst been the first off the bench. We were looking to play small ball and he would have been a big piece of it. I understand KO probably had no say in as the kid's father was in his ear every step of the way.

Reaction Score
That or word has got out that Ollie can't coach. Not saying that's the case, but it's a plausible explanation.

I don't think that's it. There's always been guys who can recruit but can't coach worth a damn. Look at Romar at UW, they raked in the talent even though I'm sure most of those kids knew he wasn't a top of the line coach. Kids will come play for you if have a great relationship with them, can be like a father-figure, etc.

What's happened in the last two weeks, and who knows if it's over, can't be explained via the typical reasons (kids leaving due to playing time, fit/style concerns, etc). We're practically looking at a mutiny here. This is about more than the usual college turnover stuff.

Reaction Score
I think what you're looking for is a rationalization rather than an explanation. Though it doesn't feel like it stuff like this has a relatively short half life. In my view just file it under it is happening.

Reaction Score
I don't think that's it. There's always been guys who can recruit but can't coach worth a damn. Look at Romar at UW, they raked in the talent even though I'm sure most of those kids knew he wasn't a top of the line coach. Kids will come play for you if have a great relationship with them, can be like a father-figure, etc.

What's happened in the last two weeks, and who knows if it's over, can't be explained via the typical reasons (kids leaving due to playing time, fit/style concerns, etc). We're practically looking at a mutiny here. This is about more than the usual college turnover stuff.
honestly idk what's going on but it's definitely not good

Reaction Score
Someone from the program needs to step up and say it's over and everyone else is committed to next year. Until they do I feel like it's not over. The situation is bad, but it isn't a complete disaster yet. Knowing that this may not be over makes me feel like there is potential for this to get a lot worse.

Reaction Score
Everything happens for a reason and in life, as we all know, change can be good. I think Chillious will bring in some folk and this will be a net positive over the coming years. That said we still have some talented players to be excited about for next year even before we get some additions. We are lucky fans, whatever happens. Silly (buzzed) me thinks we'll be lucky again.

Reaction Score
Someone from the program needs to step up and say it's over and everyone else is committed to next year. Until they do I feel like it's not over. The situation is bad, but it isn't a complete disaster yet. Knowing that this may not be over makes me feel like there is potential for this to get a lot worse.
If it gets any worst we won't be have enough players to play with 5 guys. LOL!

Reaction Score
Conference Realignment is UConn' terminal affliction. It's not nust football that been diminished. CR will ultimately pull all sports at UConn down (the girls are safe while Geno is there). Power Conferences will be the only big time programs in 10 years. Too bad, UConn got in the game too late - they let the 70s, 80s & 90s pass by.

Reaction Score
Conference Realignment is UConn' terminal affliction. It's not nust football that been diminished. CR will ultimately pull all sports at UConn down (the girls are safe while Geno is there). Power Conferences will be the only big time programs in 10 years. Too bad, UConn got in the game too late - they let the 70s, 80s & 90s pass by.
It doesn't seem to be hurting schools like Cincy, SMU and Houston. I hate people using this excuse for how bad things have gotten.

Reaction Score
It doesn't seem to be hurting schools like Cincy, SMU and Houston. I hate people using this excuse for how bad things have gotten.
These schools were not platformed as high as UConn with its four NCs. Uconn's basmetball program is on a gradual downward slide, heading towards UConn football.

Reaction Score
These schools were not platformed as high as UConn with its four NCs. Uconn's basmetball program is on a gradual downward slide, heading towards UConn football.
No but Cincy has been good in both basketball and football and we haven't seen their programs fall off the face of the earth like UCONN. Cincy for basketball has stayed in the top 3 of the league while UCONN is floating somewhere in the middle. Not a good way for your basketball program to go.

Reaction Score
My guess is that the exodus demonstrates players total lack of confidence in the coaching, development, visibility, and go-forward prospects. Mucho playing time for this once proud brand is unattractive if we cannot rise above the middle of this awful pack. If it were merely a few malcontents, you would not have heard Vital and Gilbert's names mentioned along with the others. The players certainly have a much better view of things than we do and they are deciding to jump off the sinking ship. I don't buy the Miller departure rationale; he's not running the team. Probably a convenient excuse. We've seen players leave before, but not players with ample playing time so readily available.

Due to present circumstances, Adams, Larrier, Durham, and Diarra cannot afford one or another year of not playing. These guys are trapped; they have to make the best of it.

Wish this scenario was not the case, but it sure seems that way.

Reaction Score
Why does something toxic have to be going on? Maybe KO realized how bad the talent is on this team and decided this path simply won't work. First, you don't bring a guy like Chillious on to coach and fill scholarships with marginal talent. You let guys like Chillious earn their paychecks by fishing "tuna". I am quite sure that Ollie painted a rather bleak picture for both Jackson and Enoch and they decided to leave. Only the Boneyard thinks these two are impact players. I assure you they are not. While I admit MAL came as a surprise, I doubt KO granted the release without a plan in mind. Maybe its Harris. Maybe is Waters. Maybe both. I get that the optics right now look bad. But this is the best thing to happen. We needed to blow this roster up and start fresh. We need Killings and Chillious to have as many open scholarships as early as possible. Now its time for them to go to work. If their reputations ring true, UConn will be better than ever. If not, well, we weren't going to win much with this roster anyway.
Here is a silver lining: I applaud KO for taking such an abrupt about face. This isn't easy to do. To many times, coaches remain stubborn and stick to their ways. Look at Boeheim at Syracuse. This crazy off season to me shows the fire KO has to get better. This off season shows that KO admitted past mistakes. He saw opportunities and took a chance. Thank god. Personally, I can't take much more of the past three years. It was empty of much talent and inspiration. Who knows what next season will bring. I am just excited as hell that it won't look at all like last season.

The Funster

What?
Reaction Score
VJ: KO wanted him to play stretch 4 and his dad wanted him to play as a 3

MAL: was promised minutes but JA is coming back for year 3 and CV emerged as a legit back court option

Enoch: was always a reach to perform at this level

These guys are not a reflection of what his happening now, per se, but are a reflection of a flawed recruiting process. These guys were not vetted properly. One came with expectations of how he was going to be used and has a meddling father. You should never promise minutes to a guy that isn't a sure bet to force himself into your starting five. Enoch should be playing in Bridgeport for the Stags.

Sure there are other factors, chiefly that the AAC is not the old Big East and we can't offer yearly games in the Mecca. That just means the staff needs to be more proactive and more discerning when profiling kids.

Reaction Score

I don't think these schools have accomplished anything more than UConn has over the last few years. They certainly haven't recruited better. UConn was bad this year. But for the prior 3 years, it had the better resume than these schools. Heck, none of these schools have advanced beyond the first weekend, and teams like SMU and Houston have been left out of the tourney in recent years because of their very weak OOC schedule. I'd say at this point that UConn fears becoming SMU or Houston, teams that don't land top talent, play weak schedules, don't advance. Cincy is a different story because they have been doing OK in recruiting and winning many games, but still not advancing in the tourney.

Reaction Score
Why does something toxic have to be going on? Maybe KO realized how bad the talent is on this team and decided this path simply won't work. First, you don't bring a guy like Chillious on to coach and fill scholarships with marginal talent. You let guys like Chillious earn their paychecks by fishing "tuna". I am quite sure that Ollie painted a rather bleak picture for both Jackson and Enoch and they decided to leave. Only the Boneyard thinks these two are impact players. I assure you they are not. While I admit MAL came as a surprise, I doubt KO granted the release without a plan in mind. Maybe its Harris. Maybe is Waters. Maybe both. I get that the optics right now look bad. But this is the best thing to happen. We needed to blow this roster up and start fresh. We need Killings and Chillious to have as many open scholarships as early as possible. Now its time for them to go to work. If their reputations ring true, UConn will be better than ever. If not, well, we weren't going to win much with this roster anyway.
Here is a silver lining: I applaud KO for taking such an abrupt about face. This isn't easy to do. To many times, coaches remain stubborn and stick to their ways. Look at Boeheim at Syracuse. This crazy off season to me shows the fire KO has to get better. This off season shows that KO admitted past mistakes. He saw opportunities and took a chance. Thank god. Personally, I can't take much more of the past three years. It was empty of much talent and inspiration. Who knows what next season will bring. I am just excited as hell that it won't look at all like last season.
Bless your heart. I hope the Easter bunny brings you lots of goodies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom