Just Seem Like Pettiness to me Coach | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Just Seem Like Pettiness to me Coach

Status
Not open for further replies.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I've been reading through this thread and it seems to be based on the erroneous premise that any out of conference team wants a game with you, should be able to get it. That's kind of silly on its face.

Out of conference games against Connecticut are a very scarce commodity. They inevitably are a huge benefit, both in terms of finances and team development, to the team we play. Geno can't play everyone so decisions have to be made. It shouldn't be surprising to anyone that a team that accommodates he departing UConn senior would earn a marker of sorts.
That is neither petty nor petulant rather it is a recognition of how the world works.

Fans need to be cautious about applying in emotional overlay to what is in essence a business decision. More often than not that will lead you into a flawed analysis.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Frankly, I think that the perceived friction between Geno & Q is overblown. I think they actually get along pretty well. What I do believe is going on is that the master psychologist is weaving his magic by creating a conflict for several reasons.

By making himself the story, he takes pressure off this team, when he's not quite sure how they will perform in the tournament against a potentially dangerous opponent. Secondly he is challenging his team to shut down & shut up the Cuse's guards tonight. If that happens, game over.

He's pulled this act before, most notably when he got into a tiff with Muffet leading up to the 2014 championship game, which the Huskies won going away.

Reaction Score
I agree with Geno's point, but ain't it a little over the top to reply with:

"[removed in quoted post by mod edit]"

People like who? People who disagree? Isn't that one of the points of the board.

If I may make an observation, I have not ever seen the attitude of the board quite as acrimonious as it seems to be now. And I am not talking about just this thread here, but several others as well. People are going off about, almost literally, nothing. People who otherwise would disagree grumpily are tossing insults back and forth. This is true both among BY UConn fans and fans of other schools who have always been made to feel welcome here. You would think we were talking about presidential politics, not WCBB.

Folks, could you dial it back a bit? We all know how to insult one another, but it isn't going to shed any new light on a topic to add the insult to the POV, because the insult will keep readers from taking the POV seriously. That's just common sense.

Just my two cents worth, but it seems to me that this board has a reputation as being a fairly high-end place to hang out (and I know that's one reason why many of us are here). Maybe with about half the snark now being exhibited, it can retain that reputation.

Last edited by a moderator:

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I've been reading through this thread and it seems to be based on the erroneous premise that any out of conference team wants a game with you, should be able to get it. That's kind of silly on its face.

Out of conference games against Connecticut are a very scarce commodity. They inevitably are a huge benefit, both in terms of finances and team development, to the team we play. Geno can't play everyone so decisions have to be made. It shouldn't be surprising to anyone that a team that accommodates he departing UConn senior would earn a marker of sorts.
That is neither petty nor petulant rather it is a recognition of how the world works.

Fans need to be cautious about applying in emotional overlay to what is in essence a business decision. More often than not that will lead you into a flawed analysis.
If Syracuse' decision not to schedule UCONN in 2015 was a business decision it was a very poor one because:
" As pointed out by Sam Blum of the Daily Orange, Syracuse's average attendance of 649 fans per home game ranks last among the Power 5 conferences (ACC, Big 10, Big 12, Pac-12, SEC) in attendance."
How can Syracuse women's basketball improve attendance? Here are one fan's suggestions
By contrast when UCONN played at Colgate in Stewie's home coming.
" Attendance at Cotterell Court was 1,782, the first official sellout of a Colgate women's basketball home game"
Packed Cotterell Experiences Gate-UConn

Reaction Score
We are going to play Syracuse today and I am a bit scared. I want to win and I do not care about the margin. I hope Q's heavies do not mug our players.
I am afraid of injuries.

Reaction Score
As for the OP pressing his or her beliefs, that's what we all do. That is the point of a forum. Describing some action as "petty" is perfectly within someone's rights. No particular coach was mentioned, so it was not ad hominem. Ad hominem is bad argument and that's what saying, "you make me sick," is.

As for what Geno should do, my personal feelings is he should do whatever is in his mind best for the team. I don't necessarily agree with the OP, I object to attacking the speaker instead of the speech.

Who said it's not within anyone's rights? What if you don't agree with that OP's opinion and think he or she was initially speaking of Tenn too?. You are :"allowed" to express that opinion are you not? Or is it only okay when you or the OP say-so?

You need to re-read the title of this thread again imo and not only look at the narrow pov from the poster. If Geno or his family was hurt by Tenn claims, why wouldn't the OP's post be sickening in some manner? Who are you or the OP to suggest how much Geno needs to take personally? All the OP said "where did I mention Tenn." Not that the OP DID NOT MEAN Tenn. So I'm not allowed on a forum like this to believe the OP also meant Tenn? Surely on the post he or she was initially creating/writing, that person as a big fan as he or she is has to know Tenn still has many bad vibes on here.

And when you say this is a forum and then pretend that no coach was mentioned that the other posters are supposed to bury their head in the sand and not make a certain leap? This is a forum AS YOU SAY. Leaps are made all the time. It seems like you want to be the one that defines when it is correct to make the leaps?

Reaction Score

"*****."

People like who? People who disagree? Isn't that one of the points of the board.

If I may make an observation, I have not ever seen the attitude of the board quite as acrimonious as it seems to be now. And I am not talking about just this thread here, but several others as well. People are going off about, almost literally, nothing. People who otherwise would disagree grumpily are tossing insults back and forth. This is true both among BY UConn fans and fans of other schools who have always been made to feel welcome here. You would think we were talking about presidential politics, not WCBB.

Folks, could you dial it back a bit? We all know how to insult one another, but it isn't going to shed any new light on a topic to add the insult to the POV, because the insult will keep readers from taking the POV seriously. That's just common sense.

Just my two cents worth, but it seems to me that this board has a reputation as being a fairly high-end place to hang out (and I know that's one reason why many of us are here). Maybe with about half the snark now being exhibited, it can retain that reputation.

Agree - sometimes I'm afraid to post - lol!

Zorro

Nuestro Zorro Amigo
Reaction Score
This is all very well-trodden ground, but let me just clarify one more time the issue with Tennessee, which is; Yes, UT (CPS, specifically) did insult Geno personally, and did try to cause problems for the UConn program, but that is NOT what Geno has demanded an apology for himself as a condition for negotiations. What he IS demanding, is an apology to Maya and her mom for the UT impugning of THEIR honesty. However, that is all moot, as I am sure that UTWBB has absolutely no desire to sign on to get their butts kicked lop-sided by a coach and program that most of thier fans still hate fervently (judging by thier fan boards), nor is there any possible benefit to UConn from scheduling a game that would lower their sos. Geno much prefers to schedule the strongest possible ooc teams; UT doesn't fit that prescription.

Reaction Score

"*****"

I didn't say it--- but tell me-- if Geno and his family were hurt by Pat's comments -- what gives the OP the sanctimonious right to criticize Geno? It's as if - he or she just wants to watch a good basketball game and doesn't care that Geno or his family were hurt and then pretend it's about the kids.

And please read the title of thread again. It's a hard hitting title when you refer to pettiness - it's being personal is it not? So the OP can be personal but no hard-hitting replies are allowed in return?

cabbie191

Jonathan Husky on a date with Holi
Reaction Score
Apologies if this is written in one of the replies - I'm on a quick break at work and have only perused this thread.

I can understand Geno's not wishing to schedule Tennessee until the school apologizes to Maya and her mom. I agree with that. I can also understand his not initiating a request to play at Syracuse and have no problem with that, either. It isn't clear to me whether he would schedule Syracuse in the future should Hillsman request it, and I don't care one way or another.

However, I do agree with the general principle that being snippy in public and taking on personal grudges can come back to bite you (and your institution) where the sun doesn't easily shine. Case in point was Calhoun's antagonism towards Boston College when they pulled out of the Big East. Although certainly not the only factor, I think a case can be made that the way he burned his bridges made it almost impossible for UConn to be accepted into the ACC.

Bajan Best

Decades of Excellence = Legendary
Reaction Score
I agree with coco and some others. Geno's responsibility is to UCONN. He has not hurt the kids from UCONN. He has no responsibility for other schools. He has every right to say "he won't ask twice." Why should he keep asking? It seems you want him to to fit your own agenda. I can't believe you think he should keep asking once a team says no and once he stiops asking you want to call it "petty." . He has the premiere number 1 team and has to keep asking a team to play him?
Exactly where did I state he should keep asking ?
You guys are doing a great job of keeping this post busy but I still believe in my original post, haven't seen anything here to convince me otherwise...

Reaction Score
Apologies if this is written in one of the replies - I'm on a quick break at work and have only perused this thread.

I can understand Geno's not wishing to schedule Tennessee until the school apologizes to Maya and her mom. I agree with that. I can also understand his not initiating a request to play at Syracuse and have no problem with that, either. It isn't clear to me whether he would schedule Syracuse in the future should Hillsman request it, and I don't care one way or another.

However, I do agree with the general principle that being snippy in public and taking on personal grudges can come back to bite you (and your institution) where the sun doesn't easily shine. Case in point was Calhoun's antagonism towards Boston College when they pulled out of the Big East. Although certainly not the only factor, I think a case can be made that the way he burned his bridges made it almost impossible for UConn to be accepted into the ACC.

I don't think a case be made for this. I think it rather ridiculous actually. I think the case is more of not wanting such a close geographical rival which could affect their bottomline.

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
I consider myself one of the biggest UCONN women basketball fan there is
And I know that no one that walks this earth is perfect by any means..

But I just do not see the need for ANY Coach (Even if he or she is my Favorite) to hold personal grudges and refuse to schedule and play against another school simply because of some previous wrong doing or perceived injustice, That is just pettiness... Rise above please..

What is wrong with taking the high-ground if for no other reason, for the love of the game and for the fans who wouldn't mind seeing the match-up.. Why make it personal and lower ourselves to that level.. two wrongs have never made a right..

It is not pettiness on Geno's part. He stated simply that we asked, they said no so we move on.

Now Bajan Best - you are aware of the game several years ago when we had Maya and were plaing in the dome. Syracuse was playing thug ball and the team complained to Geno. He asked them what they wanted to due and the response way "bury them." I beleive Maya went off for over 40 points and Geno did not pull his starters when the game was in the bag. If not, then this is a little history for you.

If you do some research, you will find that many teams do not want to play UConn, even when asked. Geno moves on.

And has been stated, Syracuse is not a perennial Top 10, Top 15 team. No need for UConn to schedule them.

As to Tennessee, we should never schedule them. UT did try to take down UConn and Geno. The venom of some of their fans are legendary and disgusting to say the least. UT is not longer relevant and there is no need to schedule them.

Reaction Score
Exactly where did I state he should keep asking ?
You guys are doing a great job of keeping this post busy but I still believe in my original post, haven't seen anything here to convince me otherwise...

You are doing a good job of trying to cover up the title and hard-hitting from your title and your initial post. Please say then where is the pettiness from Geno coming from? Which teams is he being petty with? So Geno has a rule - "I only ask once." Please tell who you meant when you've accused Geno of pettiness. The title and the comments you made below suggest you are accusing Geno, are you not?

But I just do not see the need for ANY Coach (Even if he or she is my Favorite) to hold personal grudges and refuse to schedule and play against another school simply because of some previous wrong doing or perceived injustice, That is just pettiness... Rise above please..

Reaction Score
There was no insult in that article. Breanna didn't seem to consider it important, it said, specifically.

Drinking the Orange Kool Aid?

Of course it didn’t say anything “specifically”. This is from the Syracuse Propaganda – sorry, “Sports Information” department. How did you think they would spin it? Seriously? Because in the national press they took a beating, so a little downplaying and damage control would not be a surprise.

And of course Breanna didn't day much. They're taught that at Connecticut, unlike at Syracuse where the "coach" allowed his players to call out Geno and the team in the media leading up to eth game, which culminated in the famous Michaels' tripping incident.

There’s already a link posted to a more grownup article than Syracuse's from the Indy Star; so here’s a different one by Mechelle Voepel from the ESPN archives. Considering this is ESPN, it’s a pretty bold article and much more objective.

How Colgate made Breanna Stewart's homecoming game possible

"Which leaves us to speculate what the real reason(s) are that Syracuse turned down UConn. Because when the top program in your sport wants to come to your gym -- and almost certainly guarantee your biggest attendance of the season -- then "it didn't fit in our schedule" seems preposterous. The request came more than a year ago."

I can only assume that you're very new and don't remember any of the nonsense that has gone on in the past. There's a long and colorful history:

By the way I was going to call bs on the Syracuse Propaganda – sorry, “Sports Information” department’s assertion that their schedule is filled out two years in advance, seeing as Connecticut, the biggest program in the country, just scheduled Gabby’s homecoming game this week. But then I realized that there probably is a two year backlog to schedule Sienna and Stoney Brook and Coppin and Niagara before Maryland gets them.

Besides I have to give a shout out to Coach Hillsman; he did schedule Connecticut this year. Well, actually, Central Connecticut. There's probably a two-year wait for them as well

Last edited:

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
If Syracuse' decision not to schedule UCONN in 2015 was a business decision it was a very poor one because:
" As pointed out by Sam Blum of the Daily Orange, Syracuse's average attendance of 649 fans per home game ranks last among the Power 5 conferences (ACC, Big 10, Big 12, Pac-12, SEC) in attendance."
How can Syracuse women's basketball improve attendance? Here are one fan's suggestions
" Attendance at Cotterell Court was 1,782, the first official sellout of a Colgate women's basketball home game"
I believe Syracuse drew 11,000 fans for the game vs ND this season. For UConn, they could easily double that total plus a national tv audience. That's a whole lot of simoleans for one basketball game. You would think that would mean something to Syracuse, but I guess they get enough money from the ACC and men's basketball that it doesn't matter.

CL82

Reaction Score
Maybe, but people make bad business decisions every day. I suppose one could also argue that the benefit he was seeking to achieve wasn't to optimize the cash flow to the program, but rather to send a message to any other local kid who decides to play elsewhere. If that were the case, it is certainly his decision to make, but decisions have consequences in the real world.

Bajan Best

Decades of Excellence = Legendary
Reaction Score
You are doing a good job of trying to cover up the title and hard-hitting from your title and your initial post. Please say then where is the pettiness from Geno coming from? Which teams is he being petty with? So Geno has a rule - "I only ask once." Please tell who you meant when you've accused Geno of pettiness. The title and the comments you made below suggest you are accusing Geno, are you not?

I'm still waiting to see where I said he should keep asking..
Refusing in my statement implies he has been asked and refuses to grant said request not that he should beg..

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
"*****"

Folks, could you dial it back a bit? We all know how to insult one another, but it isn't going to shed any new light on a topic to add the insult to the POV, because the insult will keep readers from taking the POV seriously. That's just common sense. Just my two cents worth, but it seems to me that this board has a reputation as being a fairly high-end place to hang out (and I know that's one reason why many of us are here). Maybe with about half the snark now being exhibited, it can retain that reputation.
I'm all for more civility. This particular subject-renewal of the TN rivalry comes up occasionally I believe the last thread had to be locked and this one maybe heading for the same. Here is a my translation of that offending phrase: You don't understand what TN tried to do to us. You don't understand how many innocent people got hurt in the process. Because if you understand our hurt there is no way you would want anything but the worst for all things TN. In fact it's not that you don't understand you don't even want to take the time to find out what really happened. How could you even thinking about going to another block party when it was the next door neighbor who tried to burn down your house. There is real pain wrapped up in those offending words and words like "rise above" or "let it go", "high road" or "be the better man" only inflame. My advice is don't inflame, let the hurt people manage their own pain.

CL82

Reaction Score

Not so much, unless you assume that it the administrators of major universities have a child like petulance about them that they let govern their actions. I don't.

Regardless, we don't need it to speculate as the former Boston college athletic director has been quoted saying that they wanted to be "New England's school" and he viewed you cons entrance to the ACC as a "turf "issue.

Reaction Score
I didn't say it--and the poster doesn't make me sick - but tell me-- if Geno and his family were hurt by Pat's comments -- what gives the OP the sanctimonious right to criticize Geno? It's as if - he or she just wants to watch a good basketball game and doesn't care that Geno or his family were hurt and then pretend it's about the kids. That wouldn't make someone "sick?"

And please read the title of thread again. It's a hard hitting title when you refer to pettiness - it's being personal is it not? So the OP can be personal but no hard-hitting replies are allowed in return?

The answer to that one is simple: People are entitled to their opinions. I happen to think that renewal of the UConn-TN series would be good for WCBB. Geno disagrees, and so do many on this board. I'm sorry if THAT makes someone sick, but it's my opinion. I am entitled to it, and unless the purpose of the Boneyard changes in the future, I am entitled to express it. I respect those who disagree with me, and hope they will respect me. As to the OP's title, I disagree that it's petty, but if the OP thinks that's what it is, that s/he has a right to express it. There is a real difference between one person observing that a third party (in this case, Geno) is being petty, and a second party saying the first party makes him/her sick. One is an obser vation that may or may not be true and the other is a potentially hurtful comment designed to insult a fellow BYer.

Please remember that the OP specifically mentioned Syracuse. It was only after responders mentioned Tennessee that folks started going off on that subject.

You know, this UConn/TN thing is like all longstanding feuds. Kind of like the Northern Ireland situation, if you remember that mess. One side would say, "You started it with 'X'," and the other would say, "No. You started it with 'Y'." And that would go on and on and on. You don't make progress until both sides are willing to say, "To hell with who started it. That was 50 years ago. Let's move on." If Geno doesn't want to, that's his choice and I respect that. (How could any of us not respect that?). But it does not mean I have to agree with it.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score

By the way I was going to call bs on the Syracuse Propaganda – sorry, “Sports Information” department’s assertion that their schedule is filled out two years in advance, seeing as Connecticut, the biggest program in the country, just scheduled Gabby’s homecoming game this week. But then I realized that there probably is a two year backlog to schedule Sienna and Stoney Brook and Coppin and Niagara before Maryland gets them.
Besides I have to give a shout out to Coach Hillsman; he did schedule Connecticut this year. Well, actually, Central Connecticut. There's probably a two-year wait for them as well
Great post those lines about the backlog and central Connecticut are going to have me laughing for weeks.

Reaction Score
Like others, I have no problem with the OP expressing and defending an opinion. My problem is that his/her opinion, as stated in the original post is vague in the extreme. I had no idea what the concern was. Candidly, I still don't. S/he mentions "Duncanville" as if that might explain something. To me at least, it doesn't. I have no idea what Duncanville is and therefore nothing was clarified.

The problem with vagueness and ambiguity is they lead to assumptions and that leads to trouble. This thread would probably have been about 10 posts long with most in agreement if we all knew what the hell s/he was talking about.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
I consider myself one of the biggest UCONN women basketball fan there is
And I know that no one that walks this earth is perfect by any means..

What is wrong with taking the high-ground if for no other reason, for the love of the game and for the fans who wouldn't mind seeing the match-up.. Why make it personal and lower ourselves to that level.. two wrongs have never made a right..
I think there are some things to understand with scheduling:
1. It isn't hard for Uconn to fill out its OOC schedule with good teams most years - sometimes it gets a little tricky getting a match with another schools schedule especially if there is a fair distance to travel and time zones involved but Uconn doesn't lack for a list of schools interested.

2. Uconn schedules OOC specifically for regional exposure, player home games, friendship with other coaches (cuts both ways) and SOS. Playing additional games in the NE is not high on their priority since this is there local market and they already play about 16 games in CT and another in Philly and sometimes in NYC.

3. Geno also likes to expose his teams to varying styles of play and to as many of the P5 conferences as he can as it helps 'comparative scouting' - we played SC and SC played Miss St so comparing game film of those games gives you a better picture of Miss St even without playing them.

4. Personalities matter in all walks of life - if you don't like the people who work at one store, you probably shop at their competitor most of the time. Don't like a contractor, you hire another. Same goes with spending time with opponent coaches - most games involve an overnight, and having a nice dinner or after game drink with your opponent makes the trip more pleasant. Coaching against someone you admire is more enjoyable.

5. Some special circumstances occur - TN (the school) filed a complaint against Uconn and Geno saying he cheated and lied and that one of his players was corrupt and made a public stink about it. Not likely to be high on the list of the schools to be added to the schedule ever again regardless of who is coaching there. Another coach as Uconn was beginning to rise in WCBB ranks responded to a request for a game, by saying why would we ever schedule you and help you rise? When they called ten years later to inquire about a game when the tables were turned, Geno said no thanks, we don't need you.

6. Syracuse - specifically: 1) They play in a barn which even when Uconn came to town was empty. 2) There was some bad blood generated by a few incidents in games during the BE days that were not warm and fuzzy - not a show stopper but whatever. 3) They are in the NE, not needed for geographic diversity, we already play ACC teams so not needed for conference diversity. 4) Central-upstate is not exactly a hot bed of recruiting. 5) Syracuse has never hung in the top ten nor beaten Uconn since 1996 so they haven't been highly competitive for an SOS bump. 6) While the scheduling issue may have been real, they did decline a request for a home game for Stewart. (UGA also declined a few requests along those lines over the years by the way, and I think at some point said why would we schedule a game for any Georgia girl who chose another school, not just one who chose Uconn.)

7. Not sure that Syracuse falls into the 'special circumstances' of #5 and if they called and it made sense Uconn might agree. Coach Q said some really nice things about Geno that are in one of the Syracuse news links, but no one knows what Geno really feels.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom