Just Seem Like Pettiness to me Coach | The Boneyard

Just Seem Like Pettiness to me Coach

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bajan Best

Decades of Excellence = Legendary
Reaction Score
I consider myself one of the biggest UCONN women basketball fan there is
And I know that no one that walks this earth is perfect by any means..

But I just do not see the need for ANY Coach (Even if he or she is my Favorite) to hold personal grudges and refuse to schedule and play against another school simply because of some previous wrong doing or perceived injustice, That is just pettiness... Rise above please..

What is wrong with taking the high-ground if for no other reason, for the love of the game and for the fans who wouldn't mind seeing the match-up.. Why make it personal and lower ourselves to that level.. two wrongs have never made a right..

Reaction Score
Do you mean Tenn? If so, I agree (certainly not all BYers do) that it would be great if a game could be scheduled. But I think your point is one-sided. First, we're not sure that Holly and Tenn are on board. Second, Geno has said that Tenn must apologize to Maya and her mom. Whatever the "facts" in this situation (and what are "facts" after all these years?), that was Geno's stand, and, as a gesture of noblesse oblige, I doubt very much that he will back down. That's not pettiness...that's a matter of honor and of supporting your player. But in any case, IIRC, Geno has mentioned that something might be in the works with Tenn in the future.

Oh, so you mean Syracuse (from subsequent comments and the game tonight)? Again, they insulted one of Geno's players. He's passionate about that and it's he who is rising above pettiness by trying to teach fellow coaches that it's not about the coaches, but the players.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Until, when, or if we ever have another player from upstate NY there would be no reason to schedule a game at Syracuse. After all there are tons of places that get 300 a 500 fans at a game. So 1 ask was all that was needed.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
You would be wrong.

But I just do not see the need for ANY Coach (Even if he or she is my Favorite) to hold personal grudges and refuse to schedule and play against another school simply because of some previous wrong doing or perceived injustice, That is just pettiness... Rise above please..
It is not a personal grudge. It is not pettiness. It's justifiable honor.

What is wrong with taking the high-ground if for no other reason, for the love of the game and for the fans who wouldn't mind seeing the match-up.. Why make it personal and lower ourselves to that level.. two wrongs have never made a right..
The high ground IS to NOT ever schedule them again. EVER!

[mod edit: personal insult]

Last edited by a moderator:

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I would understand perfectly well if my Coach holds a personal grudge ,although I don't think he does. The injustices of that school were nor "perceived" they were a real attempt to destroy MY FAVORITE program and hurt many innocent people in the process. The higher road in this situation has been determined by the innocent people who were hurt in the process-AS IT SHOULD BE!

Bajan Best

Reaction Score
Do you mean Tenn? If so, I agree (certainly not all BYers do) that it would be great if a game could be scheduled. But I think your point is one-sided. First, we're not sure that Holly and Tenn are on board. Second, Geno has said that Tenn must apologize to Maya and her mom. Whatever the "facts" in this situation (and what are "facts" after all these years?), that was Geno's stand, and, as a gesture of noblesse oblige, I doubt very much that he will back down. That's not pettiness...that's a matter of honor and of supporting your player. But in any case, IIRC, Geno has mentioned that something might be in the works with Tenn in the future.

Oh, so you mean Syracuse (from subsequent comments and the game tonight)? Again, they insulted one of Geno's players. He's passionate about that and it's he who is rising above pettiness by trying to teach fellow coaches that it's not about the coaches, but the players.
Thanks for your comments as always.. You are a true Gentleman and scholar

My statement was in general and it's to ANY coach who feels the need to go this route
Yes it was brought on by what just reported with Syracuse, but I would feel this way no matter which team or which coach, we can't always get our way in life, any mature adult knows this.. returning one evil for another just amounts to foolishness, and doesn't really profit anything in the end..

In refusing to play a team because a coach made a "wrong decision hurts who, only the coach or the kids on his team?
If one person on the BoneYard makes a stupid comment, Should everyone here be punished for it by fans from other boards/teams?

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Thanks for your comments as always.. You are a true Gentleman and scholar

My statement was in general and it's to ANY coach who feels the need to go this route
Yes it was brought on by what just reported with Syracuse, but I would feel this way no matter which team or which coach, we can't always get our way in life, any mature adult knows this.. returning one evil for another just amounts to foolishness, and doesn't really profit anything in the end..
In refusing to play a team because a coach made a "wrong decision hurts who, only the coach or the kids on his team?
If one person on the BoneYard makes a stupid comment, Should everyone here be punished for it by fans from other boards/teams?
My statement is much more specific. The UCONN coach and players have not been hurt in any way shape of form by not scheduling TN-I think you are just making that up!

Bajan Best

Reaction Score
I would understand perfectly well if my Coach holds a personal grudge ,although I don't think he does. The injustices of that school were nor "perceived" they were a real attempt to destroy MY FAVORITE program and hurt many innocent people in the process. The higher road in this situation has been determined by the innocent people who were hurt in the process-AS IT SHOULD BE!
In this particular incident, in my opinion Syracuse Coach reacted no differently than Geno did in refusing to set foot in Duncunville Gym after losing out on Tamika Cathings..
So if it is okay for us, why is it not okay for them to retaliate after losing a recruit.. If anything he should be more understanding.. I don't think Geno was trying to destroy Duncunville, no more so than they are trying to destroy UCONN.. I's just an emotional reaction to a perceived wrong..

Reaction Score
With regard to Syracuse specifically:
1. In the press conference, Geno said he was not upset that they said no. He stated that lots of teams say no. He said the coach has to build his own schedule. No pettiness at all.
2. Geno did not say they would not play Syracuse again, he said that UConn would not ASK. I believe the words were "we do not ask twice."
3. He said they tried to retain local rivalries, and supported regional games.
4. It just seems clear that UConn has no intention of asking for a game with Syracuse.

Not sure this is particularly petty.

Shorty Dee

Number 1 UConn fan
Reaction Score
And I know that no one that walks this earth is perfect by any means..

I will say you are one of the biggest fans, behind me. Geno isn't holding a grudge. He did take the higher ground, when asked by ESPN to play Tennessee he stated Pat needed to make a public apology to him, UConn, Maya and her mother. What Pat did was wrong, and it could have destroyed a beautiful built program, and hurt a lot of innocent people. Just because a recruit choose another school, a person do not have a right to make the allegations Pat made. Also, if Geno held a grudge, him and Kathy wouldn't have made a large contribution to Pat's foundation.

Bajan Best

Reaction Score
My statement is much more specific. The UCONN coach and players have not been hurt in any way shape of form by not scheduling TN-I think you are just making that up!
I agree the coaches have not been hurt, You have made my point for me, the only losers here are the kids playing the game, they are the ones who lose out on the opportunity because of a coaches actions and us fans as well

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
In this particular incident, in my opinion Syracuse Coach reacted no differently than Geno did in refusing to set foot in Duncunville Gym after losing out on Tamika Cathings..
So if it is okay for us, why is it not okay for them to retaliate after losing a recruit.. If anything he should be more understanding.. I don't think Geno was trying to destroy Duncunville, no more so than they are trying to destroy UCONN.. I's just an emotional reaction to a perceived wrong..
My #A%$&SS! TN was trying to destroy the UCONN program and they used innuendo, slander and outright lies to do it. Go read the report-I can't with you!.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I agree the coaches have not been hurt, You have made my point for me, the only losers here are the kids playing the game, they are the ones who lose out on the opportunity because of a coaches actions and us fans as well

The bolded part must have escaped your attention the first time around.

Bajan Best

Reaction Score
With regard to Syracuse specifically:
1. In the press conference, Geno said he was not upset that they said no. He stated that lots of teams say no. He said the coach has to build his own schedule. No pettiness at all.
2. Geno did not say they would not play Syracuse again, he said that UConn would not ASK. I believe the words were "we do not ask twice."
3. He said they tried to retain local rivalries, and supported regional games.
4. It just seems clear that UConn has no intention of asking for a game with Syracuse.

Not sure this is particularly petty.
I'm not sure either, but by appearance it does paint that picture..
I guess only time will tell if Syracuse tries to schedule.. :)

Reaction Score

Still, there comes a time you have to let it go for your own good as well.Head bang
Google

Bajan Best

Reaction Score
The bolded part must have escaped your attention the first time around.
My #A%$&SS! TN was trying to destroy the UCONN program and they used innuendo, slander and outright lies to do it. Go read the report-I can't with you!.
And Where exactly did I mention Tennessee?

I don't speak this Language sir "#A%$&SS!"

I saw no verbiage in the Forum that said I personally have to agree with every member on every subject..

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
And Where exactly did I mention Tennessee?
I don't speak this Language sir "#A%$&SS!"
I saw no verbiage in the Forum that said I personally have to agree with every member on every subject..
Somehow I don't think you were seeking agreement as much as you were stirring the pot.
Now you are being coy because of the smell you dredge up.

luck.png

Reaction Score
Wow! Poster says that it is good to take high road and is called sickening. I'm not sure I agree with the view, but that's more than a bit much.

I want to know what UConn player was insulted. Could someone please inform me on that? Thanks.

Reaction Score
At this time, what would be the point of playing Tennessee or Syracuse? UConn already plays the top teams in the country. Either of these would be a step down at this time. If they improve their programs a bit, maybe this discussion would have some merit. JMO

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Wow! Poster says that it is good to take high road and is called sickening. I'm not sure I agree with the view, but that's more than a bit much.

I want to know what UConn player was insulted. Could someone please inform me on that? Thanks.
All players, all coaches, the University and the BY were all insulted.

Reaction Score
I wasn't on this site last year when the big dis happened, so I don't know the consensus as to whom at Syracuse is to blame, but I'm guessing it's not the coach, Quentin Hillsman. It had to be the AD who refused to schedule UConn for Breanna Stewart's "homecoming game". Quentin does not strike me as someone who wants to alienate Geno. It had to be some petty administrator with veto power - either the AD or the university President/Chancellor.

And I'm sure Geno knows this.

I think Geno gets so much praise from all corners these days, he's energized by having some shade thrown at his program, however indirectly, by the claims of Syracuse having the best backcourt in the country. If he was truly set on revenge for the scheduling snub he would have pulled out all the stops in last year's national championship game.

By the way, here are the national championship scores and margins. Last year's was the second highest winning margin.

Margin

1995 v Tennessee 70-64 8
2000 v Tennessee 71-52 19
2002 v Oklahoma 82-70 12
2003 v Tennessee 73-68 5
2004 v Tennessee 70-61 9
2009 v Louisville 76-54 22
2010 v Stanford 53-47 6
2013 v Louisville 93-60 33
2014 v Notre Dame 79-58 21
2015 v Notre Dame 63-53 10
2016 v Syracuse 82-51 31

Bajan Best

Reaction Score
Somehow I don't think you were seeking agreement as much as you were stirring the pot.
Now you are being coy because of the smell you dredge up.
Seeking Agreement?
I stated very clearly my opinion on the issue of refusing to schedule a team
if you believe that to be stirring the pot, that is your interpretation..

I have better things to do with my time than to instigate and stir a pot..
you made statements to which I responded without any malice..
But that's alright, I wont change who I am when others disagree with my opinions or views on life..

the fact that I'm responding to you still is more out of respect for you, they were a few other comments on here I chose not to dignify with a response..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom