Just read: Shock The World | The Boneyard

Just read: Shock The World

Status
Not open for further replies.

GemParty

Co~host of the Sliders & Curveballs Podcast
Reaction Score
UConn Basketball In The Calhoun Era. By Peter F Burns, JR.

What a trip down memory lane! A very thoughtful story of our beloved Huskies and their rise.

Favorite line: The Best Coach of His Generation. The focus on Calhoun as the Best program builder ignores a more important fact about the coach. He has done more with less than any other coach in his generation.

I have a handful of UConn books but This one stands out for me because it covers my Entire life as a UConn fan.

Give it a read!

Reaction Score
I read it around Thanksgiving, and I agree, it was great. I especially loved the chapter when the Duke rivalry was discussed. The author took some swipes at how big of a whiner Coach K is. He whined about how they didn't get calls, but the author pointed out that is funny since Duke gets all the calls.

Very good read.

Reaction Score
Got the book for Christmas. Good read and got thru it in 2 days. Made me feel old though.

Reaction Score
I just got the book last week. It was a late Christmas present. I'm about 90% through it and it is a great read. Burns, the author, is obviously a UCONN fan but he also discuses some of the negatives at UCONN. Picture on the cover is Talik after he hit the 30 foot 3 pointer against sPitt. That picture and the book brought back a lot of great memories.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Got the book for Christmas. Sadly, I rarely read books any more unless I am on vacation. But this one is easy so I plowed through the first several chapters in one sitting and expect to finish it shortly. Nice read.

Reaction Score
Got the book for Christmas. Sadly, I rarely read books any more unless I am on vacation. But this one is easy so I plowed through the first several chapters in one sitting and expect to finish it shortly. Nice read.
Thank you! Feel free to post a review on Amazon, if you like.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Amazingly found a copy yesterday at Half Price Books here in Pittsburgh. Got it for $13.98! Halfway through already, good times.

Reaction Score
I will be giving a talk on Shock the World: UConn Basketball in the Calhoun Era -- and signing and selling copies of it -- this Thursday (1/17) at noon at the Connecticut State Library, 231 Capitol Avenue Hartford, CT 06106.

http://cslibweb.wordpress.com/2013/...-to-speak-at-the-connecticut-state-library-2/
Your marketing worked....I bought it on your suggestion the day of the snowstorm. Great read, my freshman year at Uconn was Calhoun's first year. I was very good friends w Cliff and Phil (still am) and reading back over that first year was very painful. However, the rest was fantastic and I thoroughly enjoyed the book...well done!!

Reaction Score
Your marketing worked....I bought it on your suggestion the day of the snowstorm. Great read, my freshman year at Uconn was Calhoun's first year. I was very good friends w Cliff and Phil (still am) and reading back over that first year was very painful. However, the rest was fantastic and I thoroughly enjoyed the book...well done!!

Painful but funny in retrospect.

Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member