Just re-watched the 2000 NC game- random thoughts | The Boneyard

Just re-watched the 2000 NC game- random thoughts

Status
Not open for further replies.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
ESPN Classic aired the 2000 NC game the morning of this year's NC game, and I recorded it on my DVR. I just finally watched it, and it was a fun trip down memory lane for sure. Some thoughts:

-Hey, ESPN, are you sure you can't figure out how to show the whole game in a two-hour block? Maybe we don't need Bill Cosby's intro to your program from 13 years ago, the extended starting lineups introductions, or the broadcast team's initial analysis of the game? Maybe I'd prefer to watch the three-plus minutes of actual game play you decided was less important?

-If there was an NC-winning team to compare the 2013-14 team to, 2000 is one I'd hope proved to be apt. I mean, given the continuity of personnel, 2013 might end up being more apt, but in terms of a pillar-to-post season, 2000 may well apply. In 2000, UConn had two viable NPOY candidates in Svet and Shea. KML and Breanna may well fit that bill for UConn. Can Mo have the kind of sophomore season Sue did? That's a tall order, but a breakout sophomore campaign wouldn't be shocking in any event. Morgan Tuck has drawn a million Asjha Jones comparisons, and I wouldn't complain at all if she had the kind of tournament off the bench Asjha did (not sure if Morgan is going to start or be sixth woman- we'll have to see). Could Saniya be Kennitra Johnson? Stef will be the answer at the five, something it took a while for Geno to figure out on the 2000 team. Could Kiah and Shumacher have some things in common? I wouldn't complain. Swin and Bria aren't especially comparable, but bottom line, both teams were loaded and versatile.

-I know not everyone agrees with me on this point, but damn it, this rivalry needs to come back in a big way. The 1999-00 incarnation of these two teams REALLY didn't like each other. That was fun. I also recently re-watched the 2003 and 2004 finals. There was just an intensity there you rarely see today. Similarly, I hope UConn-ND is able to resume after this upcoming season, that UConn-Stanford continues, and that UConn-Baylor continues to be a meaningful game.

-This game was not as close as the final 19-point deficit would imply. UConn was up by as many as 27 with 6:00 to go, after which Geno started bringing in subs.

-Tennessee made a huge tactical error at the outset by trying to establish Michelle Snow in the blocks instead of getting Catchings involved early and often. Snow was completely ineffective, and by the time Catchings really got involved, the game was already out of hand. Catchings, the NPOY for 2000, and finished with somewhere between 17 and 19 points in this game, but those were quiet points. A big part of it was that UConn was doubling Catchings early any time she touched the ball, but her teammates also weren't looking for her enough.

-In addition to Snow being God-awful, Kara Lawson and Sameka Randall were also ineffective. That was the difference in this game, in fact. UConn's stars played solid ball, whereas Catch was marginalized, UConn's role players like Asjha and Kelly were magnificent, whereas no one showed up for Tennessee and made UConn pay for the attention Catch was getting.

-Mike Patrick: I don't miss you. My favorite moment: says Sue is called for a foul. Not only was the whistle in question on Tennessee, but Sue wasn't even on the court. But I mean, other than that, he totally nailed that call.

-Another signature moment that encapsulated why UConn dominated this game: Shea boxes out what seems like everyone on the floor at the time for the LVs, grabs an o-board, and throws up and twisting, seemingly impossible putback shot, which she makes AND draws Catch's second foul. Just an extraordinary individual effort.

-Matt Mitchell sighting at 9:35! Dude looks almost exactly the same.

-I know the game ended 13 years ago, and most of the stars of that game are closer to the ends of their pro careers than they are the beginnings...but I still think UConn just scored again on a backdoor cut. Good gravy.

-And Shuie just blew up another attempt by the LVs to score within 15 feet of the basket.

-Hey, remember when Jen and Rebecca were the recent alumnae in the stands? I don't really.

-Interesting halftime stat: Tenn's 19 points tied them for second lowest in the first half of a championship game. La Tech had also had 19 in 1988, and Purdue had 17 just a year prior. Both La Tech and Purdue won their respective NCs! Don't touch that dial, America! Of course, UConn shattered that record in 2010...and also came back and won the game. Another record to be proud of, indeed. Maya and Tina agree that was special.

-Plural references were made to the "remarkable" recruiting classes coming in for both programs. Well, this kid from the 2000 class certainly turned out ok:

a_taurasi_vt.jpg

Overall, still a wholly satisfying game and an emphatic passing of the torch to UConn as the #1 program in WBB, a title that, despite a few relatively "down" years in the middle of the previous decade (to the extent that two E8s and a S16 count as down), the Huskies have yet to relinquish.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Fun stuff! I still think about that next years team which prior to injuries I think truly was the most talented team in Uconn history. Not sure the first half scoring record was something Uconn really wanted! But the result was 'acceptable'!

Phil

Stats Geek
Reaction Score
That's an amazing stat, and worth repeating. Of the 32 National Championship games, the five lowest first half point totals were :
  • 12 Connecticut 2010
  • 17 Purdue 1999
  • 18 Rutgers 2007
  • 19 La Tech 1988
  • 19 TN 2000

Three of the five teams came back to win the National Championship! Wow.

CCinCT

Poster
Reaction Score
"Mike Patrick: I don't miss you. My favorite moment: says Sue is called for a foul. Not only was the whistle in question on Tennessee, but Sue wasn't even on the court. But I mean, other than that, he totally nailed that call."

Ditto alex - Patrick was one of the least prepared (I won't attribute his verbal miscues to what I think was really the problem) ESPN talking heads I've ever heard for WCBB.

The late great Arnold Dean once cut me off when I brought up Patrick's inability to get names of players, schools, cities, etc. correct in broadcasts. Told me he was the "consummate professional" LOL.

Reaction Score
That's why the Dean of Sports was considered such a gentleman. I don't think he ever allowed a fan to trash someone on his show.

Reaction Score
The late great Arnold Dean once cut me off when I brought up Patrick's inability to get names of players, schools, cities, etc. correct in broadcasts. Told me he was the "consummate professional" LOL.

For years, in baseball broadcasts, there was one player almost always referred to as the "consummate professional". That was how Bill Buckner was always described before he let the ball roll between his legs in a crucial World Series game.

Reaction Score
Great post Alex. That game was ridiculously fun to watch. Having one of our least heralded players dominate the Vols was a total pleasure. Thanks for rekindling the memories.

And I couldn't agree more about bringing the rivalry back. Win or lose those were some really special games.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Nice post, Alex. I was stunned at how effectively we stopped the LVs. Yes, the final margin was misleading, as we totally dominated. It was a well-coached and well-executed game, but only by the Huskies. That game was pretty much a clinic.

Reaction Score
My favorite comment on the game was Jay Bilis, I believe at halftime said someting like this: Tennesse may have come to play basketball, but UConn came to fight!

Reaction Score
Also, I can't believe Lawson was trying to steal the ball from Page as she was holding the ball as the clock ran out.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
Also, I can't believe Lawson was trying to steal the ball from Page as she was holding the ball as the clock ran out.
DT made sure no one did that to her in 2004...

Blakeon18

Dormie
Reaction Score
Just a wonderful recap...thanks! I remember [at least I think I do] that Shea made an 'and-one' in the second half and in the seats behind that basket her Mom just jumped off and was more pumped than even Shea...fist-shaking till the cows came home.

Great game. BTW: one of the best games in that rivalry was earlier that year at Gampel when LadyVol won by one [71-70???].
We had beaten them prior to that in Knoxville that season and I am fairly convinced that the loss in the second game helped us win in Philly. There are such things as 'good losses' depending on the coaches and the character of the team...imo. Uhhh...granted we pushed that theory to the max with ND this past year.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
I really believe that 2000 Huskie team is one of the better UCONN championship teams of all time. UCONN was unbelievably deep and talented at every position. They had 2 solid centers in Sauer and Schumacher, a great set of forwards in Abrosimova/Cash/Williams/Jones, the best off guard in the nation in Ralph and a great floor leader in Bird. Ralph had an unbelievable season, she shot something like 62% from the floor and had great all around stats. She was also a phenomenal defender and one of the toughest players in the country. I think this team gives 2009 and 2010 UCONN a good run for their money. Also think they could knock of 1995 UCONN.

How do you think 2000 UCONN matches up with the other past UCONN championship teams?

Wally East

Posting via the Speed Force
Reaction Score
How do you think 2000 UCONN matches up with the other past UCONN championship teams

I've always thought the 2000 team is just about as good as the 2002 and those two teams are just bit better than 2009.

For 2000 vs. 2002, there's the addition of DT plus Sue, Swin, Tamika, and Ashja are all two years better vs. losing Shea, Sveta, and Schuey.

For 2000 vs. 2009, you'd get Schuey, Cash, Jones, and Tamika covering Tina and then Cash, Tamika, and/or Sveta covering Maya.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
I've always thought the 2000 team is just about as good as the 2002 and those two teams are just bit better than 2009.

For 2000 vs. 2002, there's the addition of DT plus Sue, Swin, Tamika, and Ashja are all two years better vs. losing Shea, Sveta, and Schuey.

For 2000 vs. 2009, you'd get Schuey, Cash, Jones, and Tamika covering Tina and then Cash, Tamika, and/or Sveta covering Maya.

2000 UCONN also had a solid backup point guard in Kennitra Johnson who wasn't on UCONN in 2002. And for 2009 vs. 2000, you don't think Ralph would covered Moore?

Wally East

Posting via the Speed Force
Reaction Score
2000 UCONN also had a solid backup point guard in Kennitra Johnson who wasn't on UCONN in 2002. And for 2009 vs. 2000, you don't think Ralph would covered Moore?

Right, KJ. I knew I was forgetting someone.

To me, Cash seems like the best defender to put on Moore, but, yes, Shea is definitely another option -- probably better than Sveta.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom