Status
Not open for further replies.

JS

Reaction Score
Being announced shortly. Stay tuned.

JS

Reaction Score
Such a sad story. :(
More important than Sandusky himself, I think, is the question of institutional failure to protect the children.

This same day, for the first time a senior official of the Catholic Church (Msgr. William J. Lynn of Philadelphia) has been convicted of endangering children by covering up abuses by priests under his supervision, moving them to other parishes, etc.

The same kind of story, with the same motivation to avoid damaging publicity overriding any concern about enabling possible new abuses, will play out at Penn State.

Similarly, an investigation kept in-house or scarcely conducted at all; similarly, Sandusky banished from the main Penn State football facility only to be allowed to conduct his youth program on satellite campuses; similarly, more of a desire to treat the abuser humanely than to reach out to his victims or take strong steps to prevent new ones.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
More important than Sandusky himself, I think, is the question of institutional failure to protect the children.
Yea, gonna be interesting to see how all that plays out.

Reaction Score
I read that one of Sandusky's adopted sons was prepared to testify for the prosecution that as a child he was sexually abused by his father. Obviously the prosecution didn't feel it was necessary, and they were right. So many victims for so many years. Shame on those adults who saw what was happening and made no attempt, or such feeble attempts, to put a stop to it and protect those kids. He deserves every year of the sentence he will receive.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
The first step towards seeing justice done is drawing to completion.

The revelation of internal e-mails two weeks ago will likely seal the deal on Curley, Schultz, and Spanier will be paying a high price as well. Meanwhile the Governor's popularity continues at all time lows of 36%. Many see him having chosen political expediency over more aggressive pursuit of this case when it first crossed his desk.

As you can imagine this whole thing has dominated the local news, especially, the late news last night.

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
The Civil Law Suits against PSU & Sandusky will keep this story going for 5 or more years unless PSU is able to settle them out of court. They will lose the majority of them.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
I read that one of Sandusky's adopted sons was prepared to testify for the prosecution that as a child he was sexually abused by his father. Obviously the prosecution didn't feel it was necessary, and they were right. So many victims for so many years. Shame on those adults who saw what was happening and made no attempt, or such feeble attempts, to put a stop to it and protect those kids. He deserves every year of the sentence he will receive.
Where was Sandusky's wife during all this? How could a mother not know something was going on? Please don't tell me that everyone was able to cover it up so that she never knew, I absolutely reject that. A mother knows, she just does. I also don't believe that she never heard her husband's victims screaming for help. She should be prosecuted along with the other enablers.

Reaction Score
The Civil Law Suits against PSU & Sandusky will keep this story going for 5 or more years unless PSU is able to settle them out of court. They will lose the majority of them.

This could have a huge impact on the athletic department. I am sure the PSU deep pockets will be emptied in the next few years.
...................................................................................................................
Also, what the heck are points, and how are they earned ?

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Also, what the heck are points, and how are they earned ?
The points thing is a part of the forum software and not something we installed. They are a function of the number of posts made by a poster plus the number of likes he receives.

Say, John, do you want to change your handle? Some people think they're stuck with their own names as handles but I can change it for you.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
The points thing is a part of the forum software and not something we installed. They are a function of the number of posts made by a poster plus the number of likes he receives.

When you receive enough points they are redeemable for quality merchandise from the Boneyard online store. I have an avocado electric skillet that I have my eye on. The hibachi set complete with mini grilling tools seems nice though.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Where was Sandusky's wife during all this? How could a mother not know something was going on? Please don't tell me that everyone was able to cover it up so that she never knew, I absolutely reject that. A mother knows, she just does. I also don't believe that she never heard her husband's victims screaming for help. She should be prosecuted along with the other enablers.

Nan, that simply is not true. there are good, honest people near all of these predators and the vast majority of them never know what is happening. Sometimes even the victims don't because repressed memories are pushed deep into the shadows. Thirty some odd years ago I had a young woman who suddenly had a terrible time in her marriage all because long buried memories of abuse by a family relation began to come forward in her memory after almost 20 years. No one had a clue as to what had been going on.

In hind sight sure the clues were littered here and there but one doesn't live life that way. One lives forward and those same "clues" are often visible separately in the lives of others around us and innocently so.

None of knows the extremes to which Sandusky went to hide these things. One of the victims said he thought the basement was sound proofed, was it, we don't know. Maybe there were very good reasons she didn't know, maybe not. Denial and fear are powerful things, it took until two days ago for the one adopted son to admit this had happened to him. Mothers think they know many things and don't have a clue.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
When you receive enough they are redeemable for quality merchandise from the Boneyard online store. I have an avocado electric skillet that I have my eye on. The hibachi set complete with mini grilling tools seems nice though.
I have never grilled avocados. Are they good that way?

Reaction Score
When you receive enough points they are redeemable for quality merchandise from the Boneyard online store. I have an avocado electric skillet that I have my eye on. The hibachi set complete with mini grilling tools seems nice though.

That is what I thought, is anyone old enough to remember S+H green stamps ? We got some pretty good things with them. I need a new laptop, how many points will I need. ?

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Nan, that simply is not true. there are good, honest people near all of these predators and the vast majority of them never know what is happening. Sometimes even the victims don't because repressed memories are pushed deep into the shadows. Thirty some odd years ago I had a young woman who suddenly had a terrible time in her marriage all because long buried memories of abuse by a family relation began to come forward in her memory after almost 20 years. No one had a clue as to what had been going on
So, did Sandusky come home one day in 2002 and say, "Penn State won't allow me to bring kids on campus anymore" and the wife went, "Oh, ok" without pondering why or wondering if it could be related to all the times her husband took kids down into the basement alone?

Sorry, not buying it and I won't be convinced otherwise.

Reaction Score
Let Glass be Glass! That way we can track 'im down if he steps out of line.
'sides I'd recognize that face anywhere.;)

Say, John, do you want to change your handle? Some people think they're stuck with their own names as handles but I can change it for you.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
So, did Sandusky come home one day and say, "Penn State won't allow me to bring kids on campus anymore" and the wife went, "Oh, ok" without pondering why or wondering if it could be related to all the times her husband took kids down into the basement alone?

Sorry, not buying it.
How do you know he even told her at all? It was never announced publicly. How do you he even told her that he took kids to the campus?

1 in 4 girls is reported to have been sexually abused and 1 in 6 boys. This is horrid but if you think about that statistic it means all of us are surrounded by kids who were or are being abused. How many kids do you as a parent know among your kids schoolmates, neighbors, club members, scouts, etc, apply the percentage how many kids that you have contact with does that 17-25% represent. How many are you aware of being abused? These guys and gals who abuse are sly, calculating and often hide and bright daylight. Sandusky was hardly a shadow figure in State College. Every time we say they had to know we excuse ourselves for not knowing because surely I would have known. Fact is we don't and the percentages tell us the abuse victims and therefore abusers are all around us.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Let Glass be Glass! That way we can track 'im down if he steps out of line.
'sides I'd recognize that face anywhere.;)
Well, he should not be allowed to change his name to Stone. Afterall, men who live in Glass houses should never cast the first Stone.

Reaction Score
How do you know he even told her at all? It was never announced publicly. How do you he even told her that he took kids to the campus?

If the wife knew nothing, then she should get the Sargent Schultz award.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
If the wife knew nothing, then she should get the Sargent Schultz award.
Easy to say but the mind is far more complex than that. She may well have had suspicions at some level but they may well have been deeply repressed. This is a tremendously complex area of human behavior.

JS

Reaction Score
She may well have had suspicions at some level but they may well have been deeply repressed.
The old-time mobsters famously kept their wives in the dark.

Of course, the wives likely knew the general nature of their husbands' "business" if not the details.

And of course the mobsters didn't generally carry out their hits in the basements of their family homes.

Blakeon18

Dormie
Reaction Score
The revelation of Matt Sandusky being ready to testify against his father: I wonder how his siblings [and Dottie] will react to this.
Does Dottie [and the others] now isolate him because he is lying about Jerry? Would his admission lead to any of them accepting the guilt of the father?

BTW: just a note....Matt had previously denied that he was abused. Would that have led to the jury not considering his testimony truthful?

Sandusky's attorney said Matt's possible testimony was the reason why Sandusky didn't take the stand...in a prosecution rebuttal case.
Do our legal beagles accept that as truth?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom