Status
Not open for further replies.

HuskyFan1125

"Dont be the same, be better"
Reaction Score
Did NOT see that one coming!!!!

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Of her final three college choices, I'm very happy (and surprised) that she chose the Horns rather than ND or UT. Holmes is said to be a good one, and as a Husky, if we can't get her, seeing her in Austin seems a satisfactory outcome.

Last edited:

southie

Longhorn Lover
Reaction Score
For those who have followed her recruitment, it is not a surprise at all. The only surprise is that she even bothered to make the official visit to Tennessee in August. We had been told a few weeks ago that she had canceled her scheduled October visit to Notre Dame. She only camped at Texas in the summer, and one of her best friends, 2016 Jada Underwood, has been a long-time Texas verbal commitment. When it was announced she was taking her official to Texas with Jada and verbal commit Alecia Sutton on the same weekend (back when they all were camping at Texas), it sure seemed like a done deal to most.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
Just more bad more talent coming to Austin. Now, the question will be how much the program delivers in terms of the Big 12 and the NCAA tournament.

Reaction Score
We will now see if she can coach or not. You have Atkins, McCarty, Higgs, and Hosey up there already.....and all of them are top 10 kids in there classes respectfully. Now you add maybe one of the best, if not THE best 2016 class.

They have a chance to add Chou or Sabrina to the mix which either one of them would give them the best 2016 class hands down.

Sabrina is down there this weekend with all the other commits and Chou's sister is the manager for the basketball team. The only thing is they have only 1 scholarship left for that class.

It gets interesting for the 2017 class though for Texas. Boothe family and Travis Mays grew up together and he has been a mentor to her. You add the fact that Richards and Holmes are like sisters so you know they will be recruiting her to commit back. When it's all said and done...... If Texas can coach those kids, they will be a HUGE problem.

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
Huge Get for Karen Aston and Texas. Karen has stopped the exodus of many of the elite players from Texas.

Besides Joyner, Texas also have a 2016 Verbal from Alecia Sutton #15 Ranked and Jada Underwood #46 ranked.

Texas had the 6th Ranked recruiting class for 2015.

The battle for B12 Bragging Rights will be interesting starting next year between Baylor and Texas. If Nancy Mulkey develops into an elite player for Oklahoma, they'll be in the mix as well.

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
I would like your opinion on Geno's 2016 Class so far.

We will now see if she can coach or not. You have Atkins, McCarty, Higgs, and Hosey up there already.....and all of them are top 10 kids in there classes respectfully. Now you add maybe one of the best, if not THE best 2016 class.

They have a chance to add Chou or Sabrina to the mix which either one of them would give them the best 2016 class hands down.

Sabrina is down there this weekend with all the other commits and Chou's sister is the manager for the basketball team. The only thing is they have only 1 scholarship left for that class.

It gets interesting for the 2017 class though for Texas. Boothe family and Travis Mays grew up together and he has been a mentor to her. You add the fact that Richards and Holmes are like sisters so you know they will be recruiting her to commit back. When it's all said and done. If Texas can coach those kids, they will be a HUGE problem.

Reaction Score
I would like your opinion on Geno's 2016 Class so far.
Out of the 3 commits so far i would only consider Dangerfield as an elite kid. If Geno misses out on Cox it will not be good for the program.

Bent is a 5'6" shooting guard and i just don't see how that helps on the big stage that is expected of UConn. Irwin is just a big body

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
No surprise here. I thought all along that UT was the perfect fit for her.

Reaction Score

It gets interesting for the 2017 class though for Texas. Boothe family and Travis Mays grew up together and he has been a mentor to her. You add the fact that Richards and Holmes are like sisters so you know they will be recruiting her to commit back. When it's all said and done. If Texas can coach those kids, they will be a HUGE problem.
So Ionescu changed her visit date? It was reported just last week that she'd visit Texas the weekend of October 2.

Also, does that scholarship count take into account the addition of the 2nd Caron-Gourdreau twin next season?

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Out of the 3 commits so far i would only consider Dangerfield as an elite kid. If Geno misses out on Cox it will not be good for the program.

Bent is a 5'6" shooting guard and i just don't see how that helps on the big stage that is expected of UConn. Irwin is just a big body

If you are going to dis a UConn recruit, you might want to do it with at least accurate basic facts: Bent is a 5' 9" point guard who Kentucky's coach said could play for him 6 months ago. Your slam of Irwin ... you have not seen her play.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
No, good news for us compared to other choices she had.

Yeah I mistyped. Meant that more and more talent is heading to Austin, and I'm curious to see what Aston accomplishes with these players.

Reaction Score
If you are going to dis a UConn recruit, you might want to do it with at least accurate basic facts: Bent is a 5' 9" point guard who Kentucky's coach said could play for him 6 months ago. Your slam of Irwin ... you have not seen her play.

I don't care what they have her listed as.....In person she is 5'6" maybe 5'7". Also I'm not sure what they have as far as position but watching her, she is an off guard.

In the 2017 class they have Patterson as a pg and she is far from that. Don't go on what they have them listed as.....watch a few of the games for yourself.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Good for Texas and good for Holmes. Tenn may be on the list of a lot of kids since they cast a wide net, but it's still awesome to see them swing and miss!

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
I don't care what they have her listed as.....In person she is 5'6" maybe 5'7". Also I'm not sure what they have as far as position but watching her, she is an off guard.

In the 2017 class they have Patterson as a pg and she is far from that. Don't go on what they have them listed as.....watch a few of the games for yourself.

She was an off-guard and then transitioned to point guard.

"Molly is a high-motor kid," Rhode Island Breakers coach Jim Edgehill said. "She is a college conditioned athlete right now, she has great ball handling skills while she worked on to become a true point guard. Last year when she played with us with the Breakers she was more of a scoring guard. This year we talked to Molly about making everybody around her better and there are games where she made everybody on our team a lot better.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score

Define "not good for the program." You do realize that Geno has brought in one-player classes before and somehow managed to produce teams that are okay.

SCGamecock

Carolina Sandlapper
Reaction Score
Wow. I wonder how this affects McCoy's decision..

Reaction Score

Maybe. But it ain't over til it's over. Crystal Dangerfield is the best point guard in the 2016 class and she looks to me like a super talented iteration of Moriah Jefferson. We don't yet know where Lauren Cox is going, but if she selects UConn, I think that those two would absolutely be "THE best 2016 class hands down." Reminiscent of the class of 2012 when we got the best playmaker (Mo) and the best overall player (Stewie). Along with teammates Kaleena Mosqueda-Lewis and Morgan Tuck, that became the foundation for an historic run of National Championships.

Dangerfield and Cox would be an unstoppable dynamic duo, much like Moriah and Stewart, and could very reasonably reprise their incredible NC accomplishments. Especially since they, too, will have similarly extraordinary teammates in Katie Lou Samuelson and Napheesa Collier as well as the best coach in America.

Last edited:

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
Dangerfield and Cox would be an unstoppable dynamic duo, much like Moriah and Stewart, and could very reasonably reprise their incredible NC accomplishments. Especially since they, too, will have similarly extraordinary teammates in Katie Lou Samuelson and Napheesa Collier as well as the best coach in America.

As a non-UCONN fan, that's a bit of a scary thought

Last edited by a moderator:

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score

We have 2 absolutely terrific young women on the team named Tierney Lawlor and Briana Pulido, who I would argue actually "help UCONN on the big stage" by being great kids, teammates, and practice players. UCONN has a history of recruiting not only the top players in classes, but also glue kids who work hard, and are just good teammates and people. I'm betting you would have had equally harsh comments about Maria Conlon, the unathletic slow kid who came to UCONN in Dee's class, and who was the starting PG on 2 NC teams.

I don't know where you got your info from, but you seem to be behind the times as Molly Bent has already transitioned to a PG, yet you seem to be talking about her from a year (or more) ago.

Regarding "I don't see how Bent helps" and "Irwin is just a big body": There are a million ways to say things and if you'd taken a moment to think you might have said something like "I think Bent and Irwin will likely be a role players at UCONN. I'm not sure they have the upside to be starters, or first off the bench in big games".

Lastly, your comment on Cox - and not getting her would "not be good for the program". Again, I'd like to offer some education. UCONN already has a 3 person class and Dangerfield is a consensus top 5 kid, but they did only land Kelly Faris (maybe a consensus top 10 kid) in 2009, and still went on to win 2 NC's while she was here. They did only land Saniya Chong (probably average ranked in the 30's) in 2013, but have won 2 consecutive NC's since she joined UCONN. So not landing Cox, while disappointing, will hardly be "bad" for the program. Just sayin...

JS

Reaction Score
Define "not good for the program." You do realize that Geno has brought in one-player classes before and somehow managed to produce teams that are okay.
Exactly. And the minimal classes have, like this one, typically followed very strong classes.

The Chong and Faris classes have been mentioned, and before that were the Kennitra Johnson and Ashley Valley solo classes.

Geno doesn't like the dynamics of the feast and famine cycle for lots of reasons. He's been known, while biding his time in the hunt for potential stars, to recruit people he thought could help the team (and who maybe could be steals) even if they weren't ranked in the stratosphere by the services.

His judgment on this, while not infallible, is obviously pretty darned good.

I've been thinking 2016 is already stronger than is usual in the aftermath of a blockbuster class. Cox (not holding my breath, but UConn has a real shot) would make the 2015 & 2016 classes a devastating one-two punch.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22