Joyce Edwards score 52 | The Boneyard

Joyce Edwards score 52

Reaction Score
It says she graduates; there’s a big difference. The author knows nothing about her future plans.

Reaction Score
There's near-zero coaching in SCHSL, so she'll likely face an adjustment similar to Fulwiley's, but very excited to watch both of their careers

Reaction Score
There's near-zero coaching in SCHSL, so she'll likely face an adjustment similar to Fulwiley's, but very excited to watch both of their careers
Why do you think that is the case?

Reaction Score
Why do you think that is the case?
We are a poorer state than Georgia or North Carolina, but even with what we have, we also just invest less in coaching in general. Find a football recruiting database and look at the number of South Carolina HS recruits compared to Georgia in 2004 vs current year. That's the #1 sport at every HS in the state, and it's much worse in basketball, where girls basketball even has to fight with baseball and softball for community support in small towns.

It's an issue on the boys side too. These are top of my head, so numbers will be slightly off, but Dorman has won 5 of the last 7 championships at the highest classification on the boys' side. They're the only program who consistently travels to top tier out-of-state tournaments and, going into the season, had lost 5 or less games against in-state competition in that time, with only one by more than a single score. In the same time, they've lost 17 (give or take) to out-of-state teams, many by double digits.

Our top girls teams do not travel and do not invest in coaching or summer development within the HS programs. The officiating is also generally terrible, which doesn't help. If you go to a top tier Atlanta program (arguably greatest concentration of girls talent rn), they view AAU/summer ball coaching as a place the girls learn bad habits that must be corrected in season. For South Carolina girls, the travel coaching is almost always a step up from the take ball and score you see in the HSL.

Reaction Score
Joyce’s high school coach has her team playing a lot of different teams. They travel out of state as well and play holiday tournaments. Joyce then plays for an AAU team out of Atlanta. Then remember she was mvp of the U19 team. I don’t think she starts bc of the talent ahead of her but I think she will come in ready.

Reaction Score
She's coached at Camden by a former player at South Carolina.

And of course played on the U-19 National Team as one of its youngest and more productive players.

She's likely to come in at a high level and much more structured than some others.

Reaction Score
We are a poorer state than Georgia or North Carolina, but even with what we have, we also just invest less in coaching in general. Find a football recruiting database and look at the number of South Carolina HS recruits compared to Georgia in 2004 vs current year. That's the #1 sport at every HS in the state, and it's much worse in basketball, where girls basketball even has to fight with baseball and softball for community support in small towns.

It's an issue on the boys side too. These are top of my head, so numbers will be slightly off, but Dorman has won 5 of the last 7 championships at the highest classification on the boys' side. They're the only program who consistently travels to top tier out-of-state tournaments and, going into the season, had lost 5 or less games against in-state competition in that time, with only one by more than a single score. In the same time, they've lost 17 (give or take) to out-of-state teams, many by double digits.

Our top girls teams do not travel and do not invest in coaching or summer development within the HS programs. The officiating is also generally terrible, which doesn't help. If you go to a top tier Atlanta program (arguably greatest concentration of girls talent rn), they view AAU/summer ball coaching as a place the girls learn bad habits that must be corrected in season. For South Carolina girls, the travel coaching is almost always a step up from the take ball and score you see in the HSL.
Yep not sure where you get yout take from. Joyce's coach played at South Carolina. They have played many national tournamaments and fared well and She was the MVP of the U19 Gold medal team last summer that had many college stars already on the team. Speak for yourself, and I am from South Carolina. We have a small state, but just as in football, percentage wise we have put out immense talent that routinely brought the likes of Geno Auriemma, Pat Summat, Andy Landers, and Jody Conradt to this state in past years.

Reaction Score
Yep not sure where you get yout take from. Joyce's coach played at South Carolina. They have played many national tournamaments and fared well and She was the MVP of the U19 Gold medal team last summer that had many college stars already on the team. Speak for yourself, and I am from South Carolina. We have a small state, but just as in football, percentage wise we have put out immense talent that routinely brought the likes of Geno Auriemma, Pat Summat, Andy Landers, and Jody Conradt to this state in past years.
Neat. I am also from South Carolina. HSL coaching sucks.

Reaction Score
They travel out of state as well and play holiday tournaments.
Nope. I double checked the school website and it confirmed info I'd already seen on Maxpreps - they did not play a game outside of South Carolina her junior or senior year. If you have the #2 recruit in her class, tournaments will pay for you to show up. The coach just didn't want it.

Reaction Score
They have 6 tournaments/showcases on their current schedule, two of which were out of state (NC and NY) although the NY tournament got cancelled. They replaced the NY with a home game against a Tenn team. They also played Sarah Strongs NC team in the chick fil a classic.

Reaction Score
Nope. I double checked the school website and it confirmed info I'd already seen on Maxpreps - they did not play a game outside of South Carolina her junior or senior year. If you have the #2 recruit in her class, tournaments will pay for you to show up. The coach just didn't want it.
What's the big deal about "out-of-state" tournaments when teams from other states will come to your state for the Beach Ball Classic? Maybe a small-town public high school has families that struggle to afford to travel so sticking within driving distance and still playing top teams from other states in Myrtle Beach is the preferred choice. Camden has played 10 teams from outside South Carolina in the past two seasons.

Reaction Score
What's the big deal about "out-of-state" tournaments when teams from other states will come to your state for the Beach Ball Classic? Maybe a small-town public high school has families that struggle to afford to travel so sticking within driving distance and still playing top teams from other states in Myrtle Beach is the preferred choice. Camden has played 10 teams from outside South Carolina in the past two seasons.
Honestly don't want to get too bogged down in criticizing a Gamecock alum.

If she was trying to keep all games within easy driving distance for family, that is an admirable goal. They aren't a national or even regional program, just a school blessed with a once-in-a-career talent. However, keeping all games within easy driving distance for families is not best for player development. It's fine to decide that shouldn't be the goal, but don't ask why public schools from states where dozens of programs travel outpace us in number and median quality of college recruits.

Reaction Score

What? Lol this is such an idiotic take.

Reaction Score
What? Lol this is such an idiotic take.
"We have less money than neighboring states" is hardly idiotic or even disputable. If you have another explanation for why our HS development lags behind, I'd love to hear it.

After making the original reply, thought I should have added "and pointing this out leads to denials rather than attempts to fix it," and every reply since has made me regret not immediately editing to include that.

If you take issue with the claim our median player development lags behind, please share the secrets our HSL has discovered to close the indisputable resource gap. Must be some groundbreaking stuff that could likely help grow the sport across the nation.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I am from South Carolina, Greer to be exact. High School football in SC is outstanding. I went to James F. Byrnes High which is regionally and nationally known from those years of Marcus Lattimore and company. I don't remember all the names, but remember there were guys that singed with UT, UNC, UCLA, Carolina, Clemson and others during those great runs where I believe we made it to #1 in the Nation a time or two. The coach was Bobby Bentley who I went to school with.

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SeaDr

Top Bottom