2025 Recruiting: - Joson Sanon Top 10 | Page 2 | The Boneyard

2025 Recruiting: Joson Sanon Top 10

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
$$$. There's no other reason to include them. Gotta wonder who us shelling out cash in this environment though
Yeah like who is going to be paying you when Payne is fired in like 30 days?

Reaction Score

If we don't see a drop-off in recruiting (or a bunch of transfers immediately after the season), I've gotta imagine they have someone lined up or at minimum a promise of ample $$ to throw at an experienced coach.

Reaction Score
What I dont like is seeing OTE make the top 10, paired with a team like Louisville who for all intensive purposes seems to be preparing to unload on a new coach (Mick Cronin?) and spend a boatload in NIL.

Are there rumors that Mick will be canned from UCLA? I haven't heard that. He's made a sweet 16 or Final 4 every year he's been at UCLA and has a 70% winning percentage. This season is clearly a down year for him, but the prior 3 seasons he's been pretty darn solid.

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score

NIL money comes from boosters, not coaches.

Reaction Score
Are there rumors that Mick will be canned from UCLA? I haven't heard that.

No, for a bunch of reasons. And they’ve sort of righted the ship to an extent. They’re not going to win anything this year but it’s not the horror show it was a month ago.

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
Sure, sure. Yeah totally.

I'm confused. Are you arguing that coaches are paying recruits out of their own pockets? Even if you want to argue that the money is coming from the school instead of boosters, fine, they can still pay him even after Payne gets fired.

Reaction Score
We rank 123rd out of 358 in pace that’s plenty fast. Do you want staff to close on this kid or what?

I see 319 on Torvik for tempo.

And we have ranked 200, 292, 303, 169, 125 in the years before. So only once were we in the top-half of the NCAA under Hurley--our first season before our system was in place. If anything, we're playing slower now that we're bringing in more talent, our system is in place, and we can beat people in the half-court

At URI his rankings were 161, 263, 323, 120, 184, 286... Again, twice out of 6 years in the top-half of the NCAA. Interestingly enough, his teams were in the top-100 both years at Wagner.

Hurley isn't a "play fast" coach like some are. Our system isn't predicated on generating steals and getting easy transition buckets. We deny the 3, make layups tough, allow the mid-range J, and run high-level half-court sets to wear teams down methodically.

IMO it's as close to a perfect system for developing a player's skills for the NBA as you're going to find. We aren't relying on gimmicks like a zone press or getting away with fouls to win; we're relying on high skill level, great ball movement, and high IQ basketball.

This turned into a way longer post than I intended, and barely responds to you at all... but I enjoyed it. Sorry, lol

Reaction Score
Are there rumors that Mick will be canned from UCLA? I haven't heard that. He's made a sweet 16 or Final 4 every year he's been at UCLA and has a 70% winning percentage. This season is clearly a down year for him, but the prior 3 seasons he's been pretty darn solid.
Ive heard Mick to Louisville. Muss to UCLA. And ive heard it from multiple people. Mick hates it out there and those good teams he had are long gone.

Reaction Score
I see 319 on Torvik for tempo.

And we have ranked 200, 292, 303, 169, 125 in the years before. So only once were we in the top-half of the NCAA under Hurley--our first season before our system was in place. If anything, we're playing slower now that we're bringing in more talent, our system is in place, and we can beat people in the half-court

At URI his rankings were 161, 263, 323, 120, 184, 286... Again, twice out of 6 years in the top-half of the NCAA. Interestingly enough, his teams were in the top-100 both years at Wagner.

Hurley isn't a "play fast" coach like some are. Our system isn't predicated on generating steals and getting easy transition buckets. We deny the 3, make layups tough, allow the mid-range J, and run high-level half-court sets to wear teams down methodically.

IMO it's as close to a perfect system for developing a player's skills for the NBA as you're going to find. We aren't relying on gimmicks like a zone press or getting away with fouls to win; we're relying on high skill level, great ball movement, and high IQ basketball.

This turned into a way longer post than I intended, and barely responds to you at all... but I enjoyed it. Sorry, lol
If you're a coach recruiting a player you use whatever stats you need to convince a recruit to come to your school. Hurley could just as easily tell a recruit UConn is one of the highest scoring teams in D1. 29th right now at 81.2 ppg. Most people would interpret that as a fast paced offense even though there are a lot of things that go into high scoring. UConn does it through efficiency.

Anyway, I doubt Sonon is picking a school based on the pace statistics no matter what he said in that quote.

Reaction Score
If you're a coach recruiting a player you use whatever stats you need to convince a recruit to come to your school. Hurley could just as easily tell a recruit UConn is one of the highest scoring teams in D1. 29th right now at 81.2 ppg. Most people would interpret that as a fast paced offense even though there are a lot of things that go into high scoring. UConn does it through efficiency.

Anyway, I doubt Sonon is picking a school based on the pace statistics no matter what he said in that quote.

This is an odd take, so I may just be misunderstanding you because you usually aren't a crazy person. Are you suggesting Hurley would mislead a kid into thinking we play a fast-paced offense? Or at least omit that information and let them think what they want?

I would imagine for any stat-minded players or families, we're pointing to exactly what you mentioned if anything about fast-paced offense comes up: efficiency. NBA teams don't care how fast or slow you play if you have the skills, size and athleticism. We have one of the most efficient offenses in the country year after year, and that is going to get you to the pros.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
I think the technical view of "pace" and what is perceived as pace are two entirely different things. We move the ball and move off the ball, we are in fairly constant motion on offense. That results in a lot of assists and high efficiency plus points, but low pace. But it looks fast. Because the ball is moving and people are moving. It seems to me that it's what he actually meant about the pace and ball screens. He doesn't care how early in the shot clock we shoot.

Contrast that with the Ollie offense where Jalen Gaffney dribbled in place for 18 seconds, we made one pass and hoisted up a bad shot. That might have actually been a quicker shot, but it looks slow.

Reaction Score

Just a wild guess by me, but why include BC and Providence unless if you are a lean to stay in New England. If your #11 you have to consider all of the other schools and ote. His #1 could be UConn.

Doctor Hoop

Prescribing Hardwood Excellence
Reaction Score
We don't play fast at all. We're one of the slowest teams in the country.
We don't play fast, in terms of time of possession. What we do is play fast with player and ball movement on both ends, creating offense on one side and harassing the heck out of the opposition on the other.

I know, not the same thing, but it looks "fast."

Doctor Hoop

Prescribing Hardwood Excellence
Reaction Score
I think the technical view of "pace" and what is perceived as pace are two entirely different things. We move the ball and move off the ball, we are in fairly constant motion on offense. That results in a lot of assists and high efficiency plus points, but low pace. But it looks fast. Because the ball is moving and people are moving. It seems to me that it's what he actually meant about the pace and ball screens. He doesn't care how early in the shot clock we shoot.

Contrast that with the Ollie offense where Jalen Gaffney dribbled in place for 18 seconds, we made one pass and hoisted up a bad shot. That might have actually been a quicker shot, but it looks slow.
Didn't read your post, and made the same point. Great minds, etc. ;)

Reaction Score

Great example of Ollie delusion syndrome. Yes, we hate him because he failed and sued. But you know how many minutes Jalen Gaffney played for KO? Exactly zero. He came in with Bouknight and Akok under Hurley.

Reaction Score
This is an odd take, so I may just be misunderstanding you because you usually aren't a crazy person. Are you suggesting Hurley would mislead a kid into thinking we play a fast-paced offense? Or at least omit that information and let them think what they want?

I would imagine for any stat-minded players or families, we're pointing to exactly what you mentioned if anything about fast-paced offense comes up: efficiency. NBA teams don't care how fast or slow you play if you have the skills, size and athleticism. We have one of the most efficient offenses in the country year after year, and that is going to get you to the pros.
I'm not sure how to respond to this. Hurley doesn't need to lie to a recruit. My only point is that if Sanon says he likes to play fast then Hurley can always say back, "We were one of the highest scoring teams in college basketball last year." Sanon can watch UConn games to see what he wants. Let Sanon think whatever he wants from all that. I don't think a recruit is looking at pace of play metrics to come up with his list of schools. And Hurley isn't lying to a recruit if he says what I pointed out. Kind of like any sales job.

Maybe I'm not explaining this well but I didn't think it was an odd take at all.

I noticed I spelled Sanon wrong in the post above. Uh oh, if he becomes a Husky I'm going to have to learn to spell his name right. :)

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Great example of Ollie delusion syndrome. Yes, we hate him because he failed and sued. But you know how many minutes Jalen Gaffney played for KO? Exactly zero. He came in with Bouknight and Akok under Hurley.
Point accepted. We dribbled too much with KO. We dribbled too much in the first couple of years with Hurley. It also reminds me of why I disliked Dan’s offense at URI and was worried about what he’d run here. Our offense really wasn’t that pretty before last season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Darkbloom

Top Bottom