2024 Recruiting: - Jordan Derkack (Merrimack Transfer) | Page 4 | The Boneyard

2024 Recruiting: Jordan Derkack (Merrimack Transfer)

Reaction Score
Wow.. now some people are judging Hurley on players that might have come here

I’m not judging anything I’m telling the truth. He wanted Timberlake before Spencer would you like to prove to me otherwise??? Doesn’t mean he’s not a great coach just saying in regards to the Merrimack kid.

Reaction Score
He hasn’t shown great touch to do baby hooks or mid range pops at all. He is more of a one dimensional Clint Capela type of player on o. His free throw percentage does not suggest he’s going to be an effective pick and pop threat.
He just needs to slow down. We havn't seen him coached up yet. Who thought Diarra would be this impactful..

Reaction Score
He just needs to slow down. We havn't seen him coached up yet. Who thought Diarra would be this impactful..

I think you have UConn blinders on, his skill set is running and jumping, doing the small things. Good as a hedge defender etc., I’d be surprised if Danny’s thinking after we get 6, hey we need Samson to be a pick and pop threat. Maximize what he’s good at rather than developing a skill set he hasn’t shown.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
It’s not true????? Please stop it’s just reality luck is part of coaching whether it’s him or Calhoun. Too bad you guys are so ignorant of that :rolleyes:
Luck is just probability taken personally. And "got lucky" is what someone says when they don't want to give credit to someone else for getting it right.

Reaction Score
UConn got lucky with Cam. His awesome.

But I believe that the UConn staff would have done a much better job putting Timberlake into a position to succeed and Timberlake would have likely been successful at UConn (although I starter role could well have over-exposed him).

The same is going to happen next season. The current team is led by Newton is slow and methodical and that fits with the current lineup.
A team with Diarra at the point - with Stewart, Johnson, and - yes - Ball is going to be much better at a faster pace, because that is going to suit them better. (And Ball is going to look vastly improved because of the increased suitability.)
Luck is opportunity meeting preparation. Interest in Derdack is an example of staff prepping and being prepared. Husky 249 mentioned that as he continued to view tape on Derdack, his value began to become apparent. May not be #1 guy in portal, but sounds like good enough.

Reaction Score
I’m very bullish on Ball too and I think he could absolutely break out next year, but if this program is going to be a perennial top 15 squad with the expectation of competing for national championships consistently, I don’t think you take risks like penciling him in as the starter. He just plainly hasn’t shown enough this year to warrant that on a top team.
Don't really know how fair it is to knock Ball for his lack of showing out this year. He was pretty decent against high level competition at the beginning of the year, when freshman are still trying to figure out the speed of the game. He doesn't play now because he's got an All American, a lottery pick, and a fourth year guy who plays with a veteran's savvy in front of him.

I also don't really see this as a top 15 team next year. Nothing to worry about as we're enjoying the ride now but with the pieces we lose, I see UConn as more of a top 25 team next year, even DH's ability to crush the portal.

Reaction Score
I'm not sure what you're trying to get at. Yes, Solo could develop into an NBA prospect. ANYONE on our roster could, even if it's exceedingly unlikely.

I wouldn't say one was a better prospect than the other in HS or otherwise. 4*s all get drafted at pretty much the same rate. The 50th and 90th ranked prospects aren't all that different--the difference could be one hot weekend over a summer years ago. That's how Akok got rated a 5* by some services.

And even after their respective freshman years, I see similar level of NBA prospects in Solo and Hass.. Neither has NBA size. Hass had more skill and is a better defender, Solo has a better physical profile. Pretty similar stats when you look at per-40 #s.
Not sure how fair it is to compare Hass and Solo's freshman years, as the talent of their respective teams and their role on each was significantly different. They're relatively the same size but Solo's athleticism is way beyond Hass' and his shooting stroke, though streaky at times, is fundamentally better (in my humble opinion). Seems like all of the recruiting services agreed that his ceiling coming out of HS was much higher as well. I think the comparison is colored a bit by how much senior Hass does for us now. I don't think Solo is a lock for the NBA but as it stands his potential to get drafted is much higher.

Reaction Score
Don't really know how fair it is to knock Ball for his lack of showing out this year. He was pretty decent against high level competition at the beginning of the year, when freshman are still trying to figure out the speed of the game. He doesn't play now because he's got an All American, a lottery pick, and a fourth year guy who plays with a veteran's savvy in front of him.

I also don't really see this as a top 15 team next year. Nothing to worry about as we're enjoying the ride now but with the pieces we lose, I see UConn as more of a top 25 team next year, even DH's ability to crush the portal.
That’s kind of my point though, it’s not a question of fair if you want to maintain the standards of this program as an annual contender. Awarding PT because someone was loyal or waited their turn is not going to cut it in the age of the portal.

Maybe Hurley feels comfortable with Ball as the starter and I will trust him if he does, but there is absolutely a path for Hurley to hit the portal and reload as a championship contender next year and I wouldn’t expect him to just accept a lesser team because those are the pieces he has currently. Remember, after the roster turnover last year, even this board was pretty much locked in as this only being a top 25 type team.

Reaction Score
That’s kind of my point though, it’s not a question of fair if you want to maintain the standards of this program as an annual contender. Awarding PT because someone was loyal or waited their turn is not going to cut it in the age of the portal.

Maybe Hurley feels comfortable with Ball as the starter and I will trust him if he does, but there is absolutely a path for Hurley to hit the portal and reload as a championship contender next year and I wouldn’t expect him to just accept a lesser team because those are the pieces he has currently. Remember, after the roster turnover last year, even this board was pretty much locked in as this only being a top 25 type team.
Right maybe I didn't communicate this well enough in my post. I don't think he should be handed a starting spot because he stuck around - I don't think anyone should be handed a starting spot period. I just don't think he should be written off so quickly since his playing time is minimal due to being on an incredibly talented roster. I think if this team weren't as good as it is and Solo was called on to play more minutes the entire season we may be looking at him in a completely different light.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
He was playing really well until his abdomen injury. JC and Hurley were describing him as the alpha dog preseason last year. So add me to the list.

Reaction Score
Right maybe I didn't communicate this well enough in my post. I don't think he should be handed a starting spot because he stuck around - I don't think anyone should be handed a starting spot period. I just don't think he should be written off so quickly since his playing time is minimal due to being on an incredibly talented roster. I think if this team weren't as good as it is and Solo was called on to play more minutes the entire season we may be looking at him in a completely different light.
Fair. All this is to say, Hurley and the coaches see these dudes in practice every day and have earned this fan base’s trust. If we don’t go after any starting guards and it’s clear that Ball is the guy, I will not question that. I just have my doubts that is how it will go.

Reaction Score
Luck is opportunity meeting preparation. Interest in Derdack is an example of staff prepping and being prepared. Husky 249 mentioned that as he continued to view tape on Derdack, his value began to become apparent. May not be #1 guy in portal, but sounds like good enough.
The luck part was Timberlake falling through. Things out of their control.

But I agree with you remarks on the preparation. If it had been Timberlake, they had a plan to use him effectively in their offense and I suspect they would have succeeded. Kansas's plan was throw a lot of money at him and it will all work out.

Sibeerian

Mush on, you Huskies
Reaction Score
About Solo Ball: I notice that Raftery has brought up Solo a few times when he's covered our games. Compliments his shooting and thinks he'll contribute a lot in the future. I don't know if that comes from watching a practice or warm-ups or hearing it from Hurley, but I think I've heard it on three separate broadcasts.

Reaction Score
What happened w Gavin Griffiths at Buttgers? Poor #s but I know they were awful offensively. Rumblings he’s going into portal. Would we want him (assume so) or is bloom off rose?

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
What happened w Gavin Griffiths at Buttgers? Poor #s but I know they were awful offensively. Rumblings he’s going into portal. Would we want him (assume so) or is bloom off rose?
If he’s willing to compete for his role, sure. He had his chance to come here and get real development as a freshman ala Solo before projecting into a bigger role next year. He can go elsewhere if he wants any promises.

Reaction Score
If he’s willing to compete for his role, sure. He had his chance to come here and get real development as a freshman ala Solo before projecting into a bigger role next year. He can go elsewhere if he wants any promises.
Feels like a bad match for both parties. I wouldn’t want him for anything other than competing for a Joey C role. Just hasn’t shown enough. And I doubt he wants to go somewhere to sit on the bench.

Reaction Score
About Solo Ball: I notice that Raftery has brought up Solo a few times when he's covered our games. Compliments his shooting and thinks he'll contribute a lot in the future. I don't know if that comes from watching a practice or warm-ups or hearing it from Hurley, but I think I've heard it on three separate broadcasts.
Hope you're right and hope Raftery is a better judge of talent than Billy Packer who famously said, during the 1999 Final Four,
something along the lines of, "wait till you see who UConn has for next year"..............Ater Majok.

caw

Reaction Score
Hope you're right and hope Raftery is a better judge of talent than Billy Packer who famously said, during the 1999 Final Four,
something along the lines of, "wait till you see who UConn has for next year"..............Ater Majok.

Ajou Ajou Deng not Majok.

He wasn’t great but wasn’t horrible in limited minutes. His brother turned out to be a star though.

Reaction Score
It was Ajou Ajou Deng

Reaction Score
I watched Ajou play pick up in the FH with regular students around that time and told my dad “no way this guy is gonna be good” because he was getting scored on by general population.

We joked about it for a year before we finally saw him play in a uconn uni and then were like “omg, he really isn’t good!”

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom