John Wall the Worst Shooter in the NBA | Page 2 | The Boneyard

John Wall the Worst Shooter in the NBA

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Well then - what makes a star a star?
Stats?

Not stats, at least not in my opinion. I look at the value he contributes to his team. Considering the Wizards have zero wins, I'm not sure how much worse off they'd be without Wall.

Reaction Score
Well then - what makes a star a star?
Stats?

Doing something noteworthy on a team that isn't the worst team in the league.

Wall had a "nice" rookie season on a team that was - don't get anything twisted here.

97% of people in America do not know who John Wall is.

caw

Reaction Score
Wall is considered a potential star more than an actual star. The kid has a ton of potential and PG's usually take some time to develop in the league, esp. when their teams next best player is Nick Young (had to look that up) that's not good. Andre Blatche, JaVale McGee and Rashard Lewis round out the Wizards best 5. That's pretty bad. God the NBA has some crappy, crappy teams. I thought the Bobcats were bad, but the Wizards eesh.

Reaction Score
how can anyone possibly say that Wall is "awful"

that's like saying Michael Jordan was a mediocre basketball player

Reaction Score
No - he's a star for the same reason that the prostitute Kardashian woman is - because everybody knows him and treats him like a star.

Your argument means that Kris Humphries is a star. <________<

Reaction Score
Derrick Rose and Wall in the same sentence? That is insane. He's not in the top ten PGs in the league. Hell, that's generous.

I only have an opinion of Wall because he plays for my local team. So from time to time I watch Wizard games. It's like root canal.

He's not a star, he's not a good player, he is a can't shoot point guard with limited point guard skills.Honestly, he isn't even showing any upside.

Reaction Score
Maybe hes not a star at least yet but hes definetly not mediocre he will never be like Derrick Rose he is a pass first point guard, the kid just turned 21 give it some time. He may not be a great shooter but how could anyone say he doesnt have any pg skills. Hes a talented kid with a lot to learn if he were mediocre he wouldnt be the first pick of the draft. I would like this mediocre pg on my Knicks.

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
This is the-sky-is-blue stuff. John Wall is good.

Reaction Score
For Wizards fans it's still up in the air if he will end up better than Kwame Brown.

Reaction Score
I only post once in a blue moon when I read something so egregious, just so blantently stupid that I almost lose faith in humanity due to this board. I realize approximately 70% of this board is biased beyond belief that only Uconn players are any good, but this argument is stupid.

I'd like to take 2 points that people throw out in this and just take a second to on them.

Whoever said 97% of America can't name John Wall is wrong. His jersey was the tenth best selling jersey in America. He only wasn't rookie of the year because Blake Griffin had arguably one of the best rookie of the years since Wilt. You literally have to have no knowledge of college sports or the NBA to not know Wall, and in that case your either an imbecile or you don't follow sports- so your opinion doesn't matter
http://probasketballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/04/13/lebron-returns-to-top-of-nba-jersey-sales-pile/

Now on to the stats:
Look at the stats from these two seasons
GP GS MPG FG% 3P% FT% RPG APG SPG BPG PPG TO/G
69 64 37.8 0.409 0.296 0.766 4.6 8.3 1.8 0.5 16.4
70 70 34.1 0.487 0.406 0.895 3.2 7.3 1 0.1 15.6

I'd like you to take a guess who is the first and second?
The first is of course- John Wall. The second being a pretty decent PG by most standards, Steve Nash. This was Nash's first"full" season of starting, after being able to soak in how the NBA works for three years. John Wall was instead, thrust into the league at 21.

"But Huskybro- Wall averages a full TO more, and shoots 8% less"

I know we all can't read at least at a third grade level around here, but a mere google search shows Nash playing with Dirk and Michael Finley (when he was good), while Wall plays with... well might as well be me and three other guys I picked up from the Waterbury Rec.

Anyone who can confidently say a 21 year old, 6'4 PG who is one of the fastest players in the league is a bust, or soon to be bust is stupid. Let him get his full second year in, albeit on maybe the worst team I've seen in the NBA in years, before you jump to that conclusion.

Reaction Score
I only post once in a blue moon when I read something so egregious, just so blantently stupid that I almost lose faith in humanity due to this board. . .
Anyone who can confidently say a 21 year old, 6'4 PG who is one of the fastest players in the league is a bust, or soon to be bust is stupid. Let him get his full second year in, albeit on maybe the worst team I've seen in the NBA in years, before you jump to that conclusion.
That, for those of you who didn't recognize it, was an intellectual beat down. Well don HB10

Reaction Score
I have watched John Wall play for the Wizards. Forget the numbers. Watch him play. He doesn't know how to run a team. He is not a leader. He doesn't bring energy to the floor. He can't shoot. His defense is often half-hearted. And he is he makes critical errors at the end of games.

Yes, he is fast, tall and plays lot of minutes. That accounts for his numbers.

BTW, Steve Nash is ten times tougher than Wall. Watching Nash go into the paint and either score or make a great pass while being bumped and hacked is jaw dropping. I've seen it close up. Not on TV, but watching the contact knock the sweat off him. Then he does it again, next trip down the floor. Wall simply isn't on the same planet as Nash as a point guard regardless of stat lines.

How on earth can people compare Wall to Nash and Rose? Two of the three are elite basketball players. The NBA is not Rucker Park. Wall may be talented but he is not a good NBA point guard. Not good.

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
I have watched John Wall play for the Wizards. Forget the numbers. Watch him play. He doesn't know how to run a team. He is not a leader. He doesn't bring energy to the floor. He can't shoot. His defense is often half-hearted. And he is he makes critical errors at the end of games.

Yes, he is fast, tall and plays lot of minutes. That accounts for his numbers.

BTW, Steve Nash is ten times tougher than Wall. Watching Nash go into the paint and either score or make a great pass while being bumped and hacked is jaw dropping. I've seen it close up. Not on TV, but watching the contact knock the sweat off him. Then he does it again, next trip down the floor. Wall simply isn't on the same planet as Nash as a point guard regardless of stat lines.

How on earth can people compare Wall to Nash and Rose? Two of the three are elite basketball players. The NBA is not Rucker Park. Wall may be talented but he is not a good NBA point guard. Not good.

Reaction Score
Now on to the stats:
Look at the stats from these two seasons
GP GS MPG FG% 3P% FT% RPG APG SPG BPG PPG TO/G
69 64 37.8 0.409 0.296 0.766 4.6 8.3 1.8 0.5 16.4
70 70 34.1 0.487 0.406 0.895 3.2 7.3 1 0.1 15.6

those stat lines aren't in the same galaxy regardless of who you're playing with.

before you start calling out names, have a clue. shooting 40% is gross, absolutely gross. it hurts your team. the 16 ppg actually makes it worse. if he only scored 8 ppg i'd say the 40% means less, but the guy actually takes shots to get his numbers and that 40% kills his team.

he was the same way in college... he shot like 45 or 46% and turned the ball over a ton at Kentucky too but all people could see was how fast and athletic he was (which he absolutely is). but the kid hasn't been and isn't a great basketball player. could he be? sure, guys improve, but he certainly hasn't.

Reaction Score
Nomar.

Love the Dude! And, well, yes, err, it is just, like, my opinion.

Reaction Score
First of all palatine you were the one prancing around calling him a "bad player" and almost not deserving of a starting job in the league. "The NBA is not Rucker Park". What does that even mean? Oh and he's on Kwame Brown's level now?!?! Wall's numbers don't matter or count because they are attributed to his athleticism!?

Reaction Score
That, for those of you who didn't recognize it, was an intellectual beat down. Well don HB10

That's still FAR from calling him a star, which he's not even close to being.

Reaction Score
why compare him to nash when you can just make the natural comparison to drose rookie year? they are extremely similar

rose: 37mpg, 16.8ppg, 6.3apg, 3.9rpg, .516 TS%, 16.0 PER
wall: 37.8mpg, 16.4ppg, 8.3apg, 4.6rpg, .494 TS%, 15.8 PER

H

huskymagic

^ no people earlier this thread were claiming he is a "bad player". Believe it or not, there's something between a bum and a star. John Wall is probably the fastest player in the league.

Ok Wall's speed is very overrated and he is not the fastest player in the league by any stretch. Westbrook, Rose, Kemba are all faster than him and I am dead serious about this. Being hyped by Dukie V and the media doesn't make you a star which is why Duke players almost always turn out to be awful busts in the NBA. Gerald Henderson is very good though and he is playing really well with the Bobcats. John Wall is not even as good as Henderson is as a player.

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
how can anyone possibly say that Wall is "awful"

that's like saying Michael Jordan was a mediocre basketball player

To mention Wall in the same sentence as Michael Jordan is simply ridiculous. It makes me wonder if you know anything at all about basketball.

Reaction Score
To mention Wall in the same sentence as Michael Jordan is simply ridiculous. It makes me wonder if you know anything at all about basketball.
it wasn't in the same sentence.... and obviously you don't understand a comparison, analogy or parallel

people are saying a guy who got a full ride to Kentucky and was a top draft pick in the NBA making millions is "awful", and you're worried about what i said based on the logic and reasoning that Michael Jordan would then be considered "mediocre" based on that scale????

the point is that MJ is the greatest basketball player and Wall is an excellent basketball player who is in the 99.9th percentile in this country and the world... sorry making a comparison makes me a basketball dunce

Dribbles

Mrs. Dribbles
Reaction Score
Maybe hes not a star at least yet but hes definetly not mediocre he will never be like Derrick Rose he is a pass first point guard, the kid just turned 21 give it some time. He may not be a great shooter but how could anyone say he doesnt have any pg skills. Hes a talented kid with a lot to learn if he were mediocre he wouldnt be the first pick of the draft. I would like this mediocre pg on my Knicks.

As I recall it wasn't all that lon g ago Rondo "couldn't shoot."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer