OT: - John Calipari to return as Kentucky men's basketball coach | The Boneyard

OT: John Calipari to return as Kentucky men's basketball coach

Reaction Score

I know Big Blue Nation was in an uproar after Oakland, will be interesting to see how fans treat the news or if they will follow thru and not buy tickets or support the team anymore as many claimed they would do. Will Coach Cal have a nice bounce back season next year? Luckily one less p2 team that up and coming schools have to worry about regarding their coach being ....poached.

I would think an article like thus might signify a hot or at least warming seat and he's reaching the end of his chances.

Reaction Score
I hope they limp to a "not quite success, not obvious failure" season and do this all over again.
More or less this year in a nutshell, maybe one extra win. May you have many 24-9 (13-5 or 12-6 sec) seasons and round of 32 appearances! I think for him to stay long term gotta throw in a s16 next year though.

Last edited:

temery

What?
Reaction Score
I want them to get to the point where they make Calipari ask Calhoun to mentor him for a year or two, and Calhoun never gets back to him.

The only thing better would be to hire John Cheney as Calipari's mentor, but apparently he died a couple years ago.

pj

Reaction Score
I want them to get to the point where they make Calipari ask Calhoun to mentor him for a year or two, and Calhoun never gets back to him.

The only thing better would be to hire John Cheney as Calipari's mentor, but apparently he died a couple years ago.

The AD should ask Dave Benedict to mentor him on how to get out of the $33 million Calipari will be owed when he's terminated.

pepband99

Resident TV nerd
Reaction Score
State Of The Union Congress GIF by PBS NewsHour

BGesus4

Running everywhere
Reaction Score
At this point, uk fans hate him even more than opposing fan bases. The end of that story is not going to be pretty.

Reaction Score
We’ll see. UK will probably start throwing insane money at big transfers.
I’m sure they will, but that program requires a significant cultural change as far as preparation, accountability, attention to detail, and the standard to which players in that program are held. I’m VERY skeptical Cal is going to be able to change his stripes there even with an older team. That has never been his MO. He’s always been a personality manager.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Cal can coach. Thats not the problem. He just doesn’t know how to build a team for this era. If he’s smart he may bring in a new assistant to help with that. The portal has made it nearly impossible to win playing a very young team.

Reaction Score
At this point, uk fans hate him even more than opposing fan bases. The end of that story is not going to be pretty.
I get feeling upset, and refusing to buy tickets and merchandise, or even sending letters to the AD. But some Kentucky fans are insane, absolutely bonkers. They've been known to send death threats to refs who "wronged" them, tried to review bomb a business of a ref who "wronged" them (and targeted the wrong business at that), and were on Coach Cal's lawn planting "for sale" signs to the point where cops had to be called to the scene to protect his property in the aftermath of the Oakland loss. They maliciously targeted Saul Smith for no real reason. I mean imagine hating a player on a team you claim to root for to THAT extent. People complain about Philly fans but Kentucky fans give them a run for their money. Uconn fans can be brats sometimes, spoiled, but Kentucky is another level. As a coach you need to be experienced and have very thick skin to go to Lexington.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score

I know Big Blue Nation was in an uproar after Oakland, will be interesting to see how fans treat the news or if they will follow thru and not buy tickets or support the team anymore as many claimed they would do. Will Coach Cal have a nice bounce back season next year? Luckily one less p2 team that up and coming schools have to worry about regarding their coach being ....poached.

I would think an article like thus might signify a hot or at least warming seat and he's reaching the end of his chances.
That's good. I was a little concerned about losing Luke to them.

Reaction Score
More or less this year in a nutshell, maybe one extra win. May you have many 24-9 (13-5 or 12-6 sec) seasons and round of 32 appearances! I think for him to stay long term gotta throw in a s16 next year though.
He can always claim the team did well despite being young…or.. they blew it … because they are so young.

Reaction Score
Cal can coach. Thats not the problem.
The guy can coach offense. Can he coach the rest of it still? His teams were making wildly stupid plays on defense and their attention to detail was just embarrassing. That was with two fifth year seniors and a sophomore in the starting lineup. Maybe it’s complacency on his part, maybe it’s just the wrong players, but I’m not convinced Cal is going to change enough to right the ship there.

Reaction Score
I don’t like getting in other people’s business as if we have all the answers. Bad karma.

Purdue got ambushed last year, Kentucky this year, somebody next year…we are one hot team and one off night away from burning down the board…when you have high expectations the height of the fall makes it that much more painful.

Let’s keep focused on our business.

Mr. French

Tremendous Individual
Reaction Score
The quote at the end sounds very “former presidential” in that it was a whole paragraph of words that absolutely meant nothing and I have no idea what he’s trying to convey except he wants people to think he’s got this.

Edward Sargent

Sargelak
Reaction Score
I get feeling upset, and refusing to buy tickets and merchandise, or even sending letters to the AD. But some Kentucky fans are insane, absolutely bonkers. They've been known to send death threats to refs who "wronged" them, tried to review bomb a business of a ref who "wronged" them (and targeted the wrong business at that), and were on Coach Cal's lawn planting "for sale" signs to the point where cops had to be called to the scene to protect his property in the aftermath of the Oakland loss. They maliciously targeted Saul Smith for no real reason. I mean imagine hating a player on a team you claim to root for to THAT extent. People complain about Philly fans but Kentucky fans give them a run for their money. Uconn fans can be brats sometimes, spoiled, but Kentucky is another level. As a coach you need to be experienced and have very thick skin to go to Lexington.
Isn't that the way of the world now?

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
Cal can coach. Thats not the problem. He just doesn’t know how to build a team for this era. If he’s smart he may bring in a new assistant to help with that. The portal has made it nearly impossible to win playing a very young team.
Think he also just isn’t getting the talent he used to when he won. He’s only going to be as good as the recruiting class is and this years bigs sucked. The top 5 guys he brought in were overrated.

If he found another Anthony Davis, Cousins, or even maybe a Bam they can do well. Bigs are generally just not that good coming out these days and are horribly coached in the US.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
We’ll see. UK will probably start throwing insane money at big transfers.

And then when Squid fails at that he can blame them for being older players with ingrained bad habits which can't be molded.
And then he'll blame the generational gap between freshmen and fifth year seniors.
And then he'll blame the transfers for being high floor, low ceiling.
And then he'll blame..........................................

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom