John A with a Butler/Bone comparison piece | The Boneyard

John A with a Butler/Bone comparison piece

Status
Not open for further replies.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Not sure if this ended up in one of the other threads but thought it could use its own -
John has a nice comparison piece in his blog with an interview with Bone related to Butler's year of sitting out:
http://courantblogs.com/uconn-women...talie-butler-is-about-to-deal-with/#more-6310
I think it is a good comparison - I don't think Bone was the SEC freshman of the year but she had a very good freshman year at USCar and then in a fairly surprising move at the time transferred and had to sit out the NCAA year. She has some interesting insights on that year and what it meant to her and how she approached it.
Also - interesting to note that she decided against using her final year of eligibility and after graduation went ahead and entered the draft - something that was discussed in the Butler thread. Each player is different, but I do think that choice is legitimate for someone who has spent 4 years in college even with the reduced earning potential of the woman's game. They are only likely to have about 12 years of a professional career so if they have the ability, putting off the start by a year might not make the most sense as it is not a year they will get back at the end of their career.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Also meant to add ... I find it interesting that beyond the initial interview with AAU and high school and BE coaches none of the hoard has talked to Butler's family or to her about the decision - I suspect this is at their request - just a little odd. Obviously until the paper work is completed Uconn can't comment, but that restriction doesn't apply to her or the family.

HGN

Reaction Score
Very good article (interview).....I hope Butler reads it. Bone hits on some key points. Bone was good coming out of HS and was recruited by all the powers of WCBB. Settling on South Carolina. But did leave for TA&M.

Butler will probably get better over the 2014-2015 season. And hopefully win 1 or 2 NC's while at UCONN. Looks like the talent will be there to challenge for it. Certainly if Geno is able to bring in 1 or 2 more key recruits in the 2015 Class.

Everything I've read on Butler states she is a hard worker and has a high BB IQ. Well , she was smart enough to pick UConn , thats good enough for me.

Reaction Score
Very good article (interview).....I hope Butler reads it. Bone hits on some key points. Bone was good coming out of HS and was recruited by all the powers of WCBB. Settling on South Carolina. But did leave for TA&M.

Butler will probably get better over the 2014-2015 season. And hopefully win 1 or 2 NC's while at UCONN. Looks like the talent will be there to challenge for it. Certainly if Geno is able to bring in 1 or 2 more key recruits in the 2015 Class.

Everything I've read on Butler states she is a hard worker and has a high BB IQ. Well , she was smart enough to pick UConn , thats good enough for me.

We can only hope that Natalie wins one or two or three NC'S while at UCONN!

Reaction Score
Good article. Daddy Choc , in PMs, had already given me a new appreciation of Bone and her family, and this adds to his positive view. My original unfavorable take on her, and on her mother, came from the old HS recruiting days; sounds like she underwent some very significant positive changes during that year of sitting out.

Reaction Score
Not sure if this ended up in one of the other threads but thought it could use its own -
John has a nice comparison piece in his blog with an interview with Bone related to Butler's year of sitting out:
http://courantblogs.com/uconn-women...talie-butler-is-about-to-deal-with/#more-6310
I think it is a good comparison - I don't think Bone was the SEC freshman of the year but she had a very good freshman year at USCar and then in a fairly surprising move at the time transferred and had to sit out the NCAA year. She has some interesting insights on that year and what it meant to her and how she approached it.
Also - interesting to note that she decided against using her final year of eligibility and after graduation went ahead and entered the draft - something that was discussed in the Butler thread. Each player is different, but I do think that choice is legitimate for someone who has spent 4 years in college even with the reduced earning potential of the woman's game. They are only likely to have about 12 years of a professional career so if they have the ability, putting off the start by a year might not make the most sense as it is not a year they will get back at the end of their career.
I was the one who brought up the possibility that she could decide to leave with a degree after playing just two years with us. There is also a possibility that she would stay another year or more to pursue a Master's degree. Can a player continue playing after earning a degree or is there some NCAA rule against that?

Reaction Score
I was the one who brought up the possibility that she could decide to leave with a degree after playing just two years with us. There is also a possibility that she would stay another year or more to pursue a Master's degree. Can a player continue playing after earning a degree or is there some NCAA rule against that?

Yes, they can play after having earned an under graduate degree as long as they still have eligibility and are pursuing a graduate degree. UCONN has had players that have done this.

Reaction Score
What's wrong with four is that Natalie has only three years of eligibility left. As for one or two more recruits, yes Katie Lou would be the icing on the cake. However, they can win with the roster they'll have: Breanna, MoJeff, Morgan, Saniya, Natalie, Courtney, Kia, Gabby, Sadie, Napheesa and De'Janae. And Katie Lou. Lou would just make them unstoppable, another undefeated season.

Reaction Score

As long as they remain a fulltime student they are fine. Whether it's grad work toward a master's degree, or fulfilling the requirements of a second undergrad major (which IIRC is what Kalana did) they can keep playing as long as they have eligibility.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
What's wrong with four is that Natalie has only three years of eligibility left. As for one or two more recruits, yes Katie Lou would be the icing on the cake. However, they can win with the roster they'll have: Breanna, MoJeff, Morgan, Saniya, Natalie, Courtney, Kia, Gabby, Sadie, Napheesa and De'Janae. And Katie Lou. Lou would just make them unstoppable, another undefeated season.
Natalie may be on the team for 4 years, though eligible for only 3.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Natalie may be on the team for 4 years, though eligible for only 3.
Yeah - it is up to the team whether a player is honored with a NC ring, etc. and presumably if she has performed well for the year in practice she would have 'earned it'. I am not sure whether the NCAA actually 'records' NCs for individual players, but if they do, then they might not actually credit Natalie with one should they win next year as ineligible might be considered as 'not part of the team'. Same might be true for players that have taken red-shirt years like J. Moore.

Reaction Score
Anyone know for sure if she may travel with the team, given that she was not a member of this team prior to her transfer?
I'm guessing that she may not dress for games- ??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom