John A.: Geno is NOT happy with Dolson | Page 2 | The Boneyard

John A.: Geno is NOT happy with Dolson

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I never bought the 2nd best post in the USA. That was Geno hype for Stef's sake. She was6th thru 8th best at best. Now ... well ... not so good ...

Serious question, who is the 2nd best post in the USA?

Reaction Score
If Dolson is to be effective she needs to spend a lot of time building hand, arm and upper body strength. People say "well, the guards don't get her the ball" but it seems like when they do, she bobbles it, gets it stripped, or otherwise loses it at a rate much higher than is desirable in the center for a top nationally-ranked team. Take a good look at her arms and upper body, is there much evidence there of time spent in the weight room? My eyes say not. It's a simple fix, but she has to be willing to do the work to get it done. She has the frame to carry some serious upper-body and arm musculature, but there's very little there.

Reaction Score
I HATE TREND MICRO SECURITY SOFTWARE! It blocks the links to the blogs.
Since each year Internet security and antivirus companies technologically leapfrog each other, the best Internet security and antivirus software differs most every year. However there are about three that tend to be at the top. Which are they? Go to AV-Comparatives.org for the latest, independent, and thoroughly tested results. They are far better than PC Mag etc.

Reaction Score
But don't you think that Geno is also trying to piss Stet off enough that she gets out there and proves him wrong? He's done that with other players in the past.

I think there's plenty of blame to go around for the breakdown last night.

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk

Reaction Score
Serious question, who is the 2nd best post in the USA?

Serious answer: EDD! Don’t care if she is listed as a forward/guard, watch the games. She plays center. Albeit she is a wide ranging center, but nonetheless a center. Truth be told I think EDD is more skilled at center than Griner. Griner is taller and a better shot blocker but that is it.
Although she is listed as a forward, when playing in tandem with her sister, Chiney Ogwumike plays center and better than Dolson. Again although listed as forwards both Devereaux Peters and Natalie Achonwa play center and do it better than Dolson. Another better center is Elizabeth Williams at Duke. Oh yeah, right now, Kiah Stokes! Defensively and rebounding-wise Buck is better. Heck! Right now it might be wash offensively between them!

Reaction Score
The fact that Auriemma took Dolson out of the game for the last defensive play says it all.

What exactly does it say?

I do believe St. Johns scored the game winning 3 on the last defensive play. Senior Tiff Hayes apparently was "confused" on it. That last play says nothing about Dolson. Geno also took Dolson out at the under 7 timeout. KML drove to the hoop and had a beautiful dish to a wide open Stokes who blew a wide open lay up from point blank range in a tied game. Yeah Kiah had a good game but that was a huge miss because our guards do not dribble penetrate enough and when the posts miss layups like that it encourages them to depend too much on launching up 3's because the post players can't be trusted. Kiah had a very good game but that was a huge miss.

There is a lot of blame to go around for yesterday. Including Dolson. But the last play? Well perhaps Dolson should have been on the court. As icebear pointed out she made a good D play the previous possession. And the 5 we had on the court for that last play clearly didn't get the job done as they allowed what they couldn't allow- a wide open 3 to lose the game.

vtcwbuff

Civil War Buff
Reaction Score
According to the PBP Dolson subbed out with 0:19 left in the game. I think it says everything about who Auriemma thought would provide the best defense at the end of the game.

IMO Hayes was not confused on the last play. She knew her assignment but she was screened off her position by Stevens. Stokes saw what happened and she tried to cover but it was too late. I think one could argue that Hayes should have been out on the wing already but I think the team was not expecting the play that developed.

Reaction Score
According to the PBP Dolson subbed out with 0:19 left in the game. I think it says everything about who Auriemma thought would provide the best defense at the end of the game.

IMO Hayes was not confused on the last play. She knew her assignment but she was screened off her position by Stevens. Stokes saw what happened and she tried to cover but it was too late. I think one could argue that Hayes should have been out on the wing already but I think the team was not expecting the play that developed.

Chris Dailey called Hayes confused on the postgame on that play. She could be wrong but I doubt she would say that if she did not believe it to be true.

I'm not sure it's a good idea to use what happened on that final play speaking volumes about anyone who was not in the game. It's safe to say any substitutions that were made didn't end up working out for us.

Ozzie Nelson

RIP, Ozzie
Reaction Score
Dolson will see better days. I'll gladly watch over the "Dolson Bandwagon", sure to be be full before you know it.

Go gettum Stef.

Reaction Score
Since each year Internet security and antivirus companies technologically leapfrog each other, the best Internet security and antivirus software differs most every year. However there are about three that tend to be at the top. Which are they? Go to AV-Comparatives.org for the latest, independent, and thoroughly tested results. They are far better than PC Mag etc.
Thanks for the tip! I'll check.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
There is a lot of blame to go around for yesterday. Including Dolson. But the last play? Well perhaps Dolson should have been on the court. As icebear pointed out she made a good D play the previous possession. And the 5 we had on the court for that last play clearly didn't get the job done as they allowed what they couldn't allow- a wide open 3 to lose the game.

Regardless of the play Dolson made during the next to last possession, Stokes is still quicker, the better defender and rebounder so having her on the court at the end was the right call. St John's ran the screen and roll with Stevens and Smith. It sounds like the coaches wanted Tiff to guard Smith and have Stokes go Stevens. Tiffany went with Stevens and Stokes tried to recover by getting out on Smith but was too late. Although you don't want to give up a 3 in that situation, St John's is a terrible 3-point shooting team and Smith made her 4th or 5th of the season. Sometimes the game goes that way.

Reaction Score
"when she got the ball in the post and we didn’t do a great job handling the ball."

I think Dolson has become a liability on the floor, especially on the defensive end.
I watch the way Stokes plays and I wonder if Dolson will have a starting job next year.
Unless she improves dramatically, her time will be limited next year. I don't think her mobility has improved. What happened to all the quotes about her running up the stairs of the football stadium to get in better shape, etc.?

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
I commented earlier in the year that there were multiple post players who were better than Dolson when the "2nd best post" talk was going on. I also stated at the time that it was Geno trying to instill confidence in Dolson. Also, on another thread I commented that things are being expected of Dolson that she is simply not capable of doing.

IMO, Dolson doesn't have the footwork or quickness to do the things that many think she should be doing. She kind of reminds me of Liz Sherwood. She is a big girl and will probably always be a big girl, which will limit her effectiveness when playing against big, quick post players.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
Serious answer: EDD! Don’t care if she is listed as a forward/guard, watch the games. She plays center. Albeit she is a wide ranging center, but nonetheless a center. Truth be told I think EDD is more skilled at center than Griner. Griner is taller and a better shot blocker but that is it.
Although she is listed as a forward, when playing in tandem with her sister, Chiney Ogwumike plays center and better than Dolson. Again although listed as forwards both Devereaux Peters and Natalie Achonwa play center and do it better than Dolson. Another better center is Elizabeth Williams at Duke. Oh yeah, right now, Kiah Stokes! Defensively and rebounding-wise Buck is better. Heck! Right now it might be wash offensively between them!

Just curious in what ways EDD is a better post player than BG. I am being serious and not being a defensive BG fan.

I haven't seen her play so I can't compare.

semper

Paleographer
Reaction Score
I watched her as much as I could last night, given that I was trying to work too. I agree that she needs to get in the gym more, and she was doing that last year at this time. At the beginning of the season, she was starting to ripple a bit. What happened to that? I saw her at the center of a dogpile much of the time, back to the basket. Last year she was learning to get her arms up and to turn, and she was able to do so much more as a result? What happened to that? I guess my earlier comment was based on seeing things turn for her last year, and hoping the same thing will happen this year. She is also plagued with a certain niceness, the same disease that Tina was suffering at this time in her career. I remember when Tina was in the doghouse, Geno said, she is the girl every one wishes their son would marry, referring to her kindness. She broke out of it, and became a monster. I don't think Steph has this in her, but she could get edgier, and was starting too last year.

Reaction Score
Stokes Volleyball.jpg
"Good hands and she can get up there..."

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Regardless of the play Dolson made during the next to last possession, Stokes is still quicker, the better defender and rebounder so having her on the court at the end was the right call. St John's ran the screen and roll with Stevens and Smith. It sounds like the coaches wanted Tiff to guard Smith and have Stokes go Stevens. Tiffany went with Stevens and Stokes tried to recover by getting out on Smith but was too late. Although you don't want to give up a 3 in that situation, St John's is a terrible 3-point shooting team and Smith made her 4th or 5th of the season. Sometimes the game goes that way.

Putting Stokes in for Stef was the right substitution for the reasons you say. It was a practical choice not a knock on Stef. It was an excellent defensive play by Stef that got us the lead with the trap and block. Geno recognized that SJ's speed and mobility was going to be more of an issue with the players SJ had on the floor and went for length and speed and shot blocking with Kia. Good choice.

Tiff did not get screened of the ball she said to be in the wrong coverage. I'll take CD's word on it.

Reaction Score
Putting Stokes in for Stef was the right substitution for the reasons you say. It was a practical choice not a knock on Stef. It was an excellent defensive play by Stef that got us the lead with the trap and block. Geno recognized that SJ's speed and mobility was going to be more of an issue with the players SJ had on the floor and went for length and speed and shot blocking with Kia. Good choice.

Tiff did not get screened of the ball she said to be in the wrong coverage. I'll take CD's word on it.

Watch it again, Hayes was screened by #3 for St Johns

bschwartz

Popular Im-Poster
Reaction Score
Both Kiah and Stef made great strides in their Frosh years. I am hoping for Stef, one of my favorite players, that it is just a confidence thing that can be corrected. As a Soph, Stef is also under extra pressure because next year UC has two studs coming in taller than six feet. You have to think that it won't be long before Breanna is starting leaving a PF or center slot. Now is is the time for Stef to cement that other front court role. As a Frosh, I don't think Kiah has that pressure yet. The good news for the team is that the two players seem to have different strengths. I just worry because there are only so minutes to go around. Totally want Stef to be successful here.

I will say what Geno said was unusually harsh -- even for him. Anyone ever recall if he said something like that about Tina? I am kinda hoping that it was a calculated rather than an off the cuff remark. Maybe Geno thinks that is the kind of comment that will motivate her. Would he have said it if he didn't think Stef would benefit from it?

Reaction Score
“I don’t think Stefanie Dolson has had a good year at all, from Day 1,” Auriemma said.

LINK
It's amazing to me that Geno says on his show that if you can't score, you can't play for the huskies. I love CD and KF, but neither of them contribute anything offensively to this team , but because of the "love fest", we keep talking about their "GREAT" court game. PLEASE ,GIVE ME A BREAK! Kiah is the most improved player on the team, and a monster rebounder. Play physical with huskies, Pack the lane aganst SD, because CD and KF are non factors. That's the game plan folks.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Watch it again, Hayes was screened by #3 for St Johns
My point is that she was not supposed to be in that place at all. She was not screened by motion she had taken a position face up in the post against #3 where Kiah was, also.. Tiff is not screened she was squared up defending a player she was not to be guarding in the first place. Tiff was supposed to have the perimeter player and Kiah the player in the post. Shekinna Smith never ran Tiff into the screen/pick. Tiff took that position and note that she is using an arm bar on #3. Not something that happens when you get screened. Think about it. Who you you have had in the post to challenge Kiah or Tiff and who would you have defending the quicker perimeter player I think the answers are obvious.

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
"Neither ..." Caroline nor Kelly "...contribute anything offensively to this team." Do assists count? Does avoiding turnovers count? Do Caroline's 15 points and numerous steals against Louisville count?

I don't see how Caroline can possibly be blamed even slightly for the St. Johns outcome since she was injured in the opening minutes and played only 8 minutes. For most of the game, we had a backcourt of Bria/Tiff/KML -- is that offensive enough for you?

I do agree that a twin-towers line-up (Kiah in the low post and Stef high) with those guards is probably a good idea at this point. But I think if Caroline had not been injured early in the St. Johns game, the outcome would probably have been different -- if nothing else, the 18-to-8 adverse turnover differential would almost certainly not have occurred.

The turnovers and the lack of offensive production from Stef were the primary causes of the unfavorable outcome.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
"Neither ..." Caroline nor Kelly "...contribute anything offensively to this team." Do assists count? Does avoiding turnovers count? Do Caroline's 15 points and numerous steals against Louisville count?

I'm with you Joe.
One of the key contributions Caroline could have made last night was to help the team take better care of the ball. She was unavailable and that hurt.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom