Joel Ntambwe (UNLV Transfer) | Page 14 | The Boneyard

Joel Ntambwe (UNLV Transfer)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
We state Ntambwe is better than Sid and Polley currently, which is different than a blanket statement. If you don't see or want to see the distinction, so be it.
Ntambwe might completely lose his game, he might have a career ending injury or he might play in the NBA. Sid might never progress at all or might become an NBA player. All we can go off of is what we've seen and Ntwambwe has shown he's better than them at the college level. You can have an idea of how players might progress but nothing is a given.

The original question from kansashusky is why are we recruiting Ntambwe when we already have Sid and Polley at the same position. The answer is because Hurley wants to make our team better and Ntambwe is better than them.

Reaction Score
We state Ntambwe is better than Sid and Polley currently, which is different than a blanket statement. If you don't see or want to see the distinction, so be it.
You still haven't explained what this has to do with Ntambwe being better than Sid and Polley. How is this at all relevant?
So I take it you were the only poster who was critical when Sid came to UConn. However I don't recall your reservations of his skills in posts on the Boneyard. Did I miss your reservations of Brendan as well?

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
So we shouldn't project because you never know? Is that your actual point?

Don't sign Yu Darvish I guess. Style's different here and you know - even with numbers you never know so PASS

You said this. "As of right now, he's probably the 2nd or 3rd best player on our team if he committed. Right now. Based on his track record - third best guy we could put out on the floor right now."

So he's clearly better than all but two of Al, Josh, Akok, Vital, Gaffney, Bouknight? With certainty. No doubt about it. In a different and more physical league. On a team where he has to play defense every minute.

He's a nice looking player. If he gets a waiver or we have extra ships, I'd be happy to have him. But I read similar posts about how Sid was going to be an absolute monster performer leading up to least year.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
Projections are based on starting point and trajectory. We don't have much trajectory data on Sid or Ntambwe. We have some people that believe Sid has more upside and, based on that, likely a higher trajectory. The problem is that you never know if a kid is going to realize that potential and higher trajectory. Based on what I have heard, I wouldn't assume it is a given for Sid. Take the kid who is ahead now and if Sid surpasses him, so be it. There are 200 minutes to go around so they can both still play lots of minutes even if Sid's minutes increase over time.
Measured response.
I can't speak for @HawkHusky, @AfgHusky15 or @kansashusky but as far as I'm concerned I don't know for certain which player has the most upside. And even if I did I wouldn't bet my life the trajectory would correlate perfectly.

Reaction Score
You said this. "As of right now, he's probably the 2nd or 3rd best player on our team if he committed. Right now. Based on his track record - third best guy we could put out on the floor right now."

So he's clearly better than all but two of Al, Josh, Akok, Vital, Gaffney, Bouknight? With certainty. No doubt about it. In a different and more physical league. On a team where he has to play defense every minute.

He's a nice looking player. If he gets a waiver or we have extra ships, I'd be happy to have him. But I read similar posts about how Sid was going to be an absolute monster performer leading up to least year.

I said that because he probably is. Right now. Might not be. I'll take my chances though and I think he's just flat out better than Sid at almost everything right now. Might not be someday for sure.

I guess what i'm saying is - projections look pretty solid. Track record probably puts him *at least* in the top 1/3 of our roster if not top 25% based on what he's capable of now. And now you've got two guys in him and Sid who should be really good *for each other*... and hey -what if both turn out to be studs? Wouldn't that be great?

I wouldn't say i'd *rather* have him than Sid, but he helps us a lot and we can have both so screw it. Let's get him.

Reaction Score
So I take it you were the only poster who was critical when Sid came to UConn. However I don't recall your reservations of his skills in posts on the Boneyard. Did I miss your reservations of Brendan as well?

Definitely not the only one. I thought Wilson would be one of the bigger disappointments this year. He's exactly the profile of a player who is overrated -- long, skinny, athletic, but little basketball skill.

ctchamps

Reaction Score
You still haven't explained what this has to do with Ntambwe being better than Sid and Polley. How is this at all relevant?
If UConn did not have multiple positional needs kansashusky would not have asked you the original question. You're dismissal of his intent is the relevancy. He understands, as do I and Hawk and Afg the value of upgrading talent. We're debating, as is prone in this forum, if the priorities should be focused on more than just an upgrade in talent, particularly if there is a possibility Akok, Polley and Wilson can develop and fulfill the need at that position.

Reaction Score
Definitely not the only one. I thought Wilson would be one of the bigger disappointments this year. He's exactly the profile of a player who is overrated -- long, skinny, athletic, but little basketball skill.

I kinda hate to agree with this, but I do. He's basically an 'Ollie Special'.

ctchamps

Reaction Score
I was being rhetorical with john. If you postulated this more power to you. Most of us were angry that he originally declared to St. Johns and ecstatic he changed his mind.

So what's your opinion of Brendan?

Reaction Score
I was being rhetorical with john. If you postulated this more power to you. Most of us were angry that he originally declared to St. Johns and ecstatic he changed his mind.

So what's your opinion of Brendan?

Brendan Adams? Good teammate, useful practice player, should give solid minutes as 9th or 10th man, or defensive stopper. Think Shamon Tooles, Donnell Beverly, Marcus Johnson.

If he's relied on for more than that, that means the rest of the talent isn't good enough.

Reaction Score
If UConn did not have multiple positional needs kansashusky would not have asked you the original question. You're dismissal of his intent is the relevancy. He understands, as do I and Hawk and Afg the value of upgrading talent. We're debating, as is prone in this forum, if the priorities should be focused on more than just an upgrade in talent, particularly if there is a possibility Akok, Polley and Wilson can develop and fulfill the need at that position.
I get what you are saying but since Hurley had him in for a visit and is recruiting him he kind of answers that question for you. Hurley also knows more than us how many scholarships he will have. It may not be an "either or" situation. The picture will soon become clearer once everything plays out.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
I said that because he probably is. Right now. Might not be. I'll take my chances though and I think he's just flat out better than Sid at almost everything right now. Might not be someday for sure.

I guess what i'm saying is - projections look pretty solid. Track record probably puts him *at least* in the top 1/3 of our roster if not top 25% based on what he's capable of now. And now you've got two guys in him and Sid who should be really good *for each other*... and hey -what if both turn out to be studs? Wouldn't that be great?

I wouldn't say i'd *rather* have him than Sid, but he helps us a lot and we can have both so screw it. Let's get him.

That's fair. I haven't watched him. Stats wise he put up nice ppg 12.5 and rpg 5.5, with a 75% FT and 38% on 3's. His shooting was meh, under 41% and he was turnover prone and didn't block shots.

Aside from boards, FT% and attempts and TO, his stats are similar to Polley's. He just took twice as many 2P shots (on a much lower shooting percentage). 3P shooting was nearly identical. Joel Ntambwe College Stats | College Basketball at Sports-Reference.com

So, do we want a high volume inefficient scorer? Joel shot 42% on 2 PT attempts. Josh shot 60%. With over 3X the blocks and more rebounds. Even Polley was just under 50% on 2 pt attempts. My point is, there is no way he takes that many shots last year if he's playing for UConn. Hurley would bury a guy who shot that percentage at high volume. His numbers aren't far off from freshman Christian Vital.

Reaction Score
A few weeks ago you probably never heard of him... now based off of Andre Lafleur's comments you can confidently state as a fact that he is better than Sid and Polley?... Come on :rolleyes:

Hurley has said Sid has the highest ceiling and aside from Jalen Adams has the best chance of going pro. Sid is much more athletic than Ntambwe. If Sid can get stronger and improve his shot (both very doable) than it would be very hard for Ntambwe to come in and take Sid's minutes.

If Sid only improves his shot and gets stronger he still won't be as good as Ntambwe. He has along way to go not sure what many of you were watching. #1 that shot is a long way from improving all that fast. #2 besides the fact he can electrify you with a blocked shot or 2 he can't guard anyone yet, huge improvement needed on defense. And he doesn't rebound the ball all that well. This guy does all of those things already, he's better than what we have and his skill set would allow Hurley to play 2 "wings" at times anyway.

Get him please!

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
The problem with Chief is he has very few friends and lots of enemies. It’s a symptom of a large number of posts containing little information. Unfortunately for Chief this was a situation that was created solely by him. Very simple solutions to the problem:
1) Post less
2) Put content in your posts that people care about.

Unfortunately we all know how Chief is and rather than listening to Hurleyman’s advice, Chief will spend time throwing shade.
Nah. The problem is every time he posts the same dozen or so guys fall all over themselves to be the first to say that they don't like the guy. Okay we get it. But do you understand that by doing that you guarantee that he is the subject of a few dozen posts because of it? I'm pretty confident that he is.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Sid is more athletic than Joel; that's the only area where he has him beat.

Sid struggled to get significant minutes on this team this year, so I wouldn't count on him getting a starter's role unless he significantly improves this offseason.
Which I fully expect to happen. I'm sure Sid knows what he needs to work on.

Reaction Score
Brendan Adams? Good teammate, useful practice player, should give solid minutes as 9th or 10th man, or defensive stopper. Think Shamon Tooles, Donnell Beverly, Marcus Johnson.

If he's relied on for more than that, that means the rest of the talent isn't good enough.

I'm in the same boat.

Your building block pieces are Akok, Bouknight, Gaffney, Wilson, Gilbert. You can do way worse than Carlton and I think he helps way more than he hurts before he's done here- although I don't think he's a world beater.

Everyone else is bench bit players from here on out. If not, something's wrong.

UconnU

If he blocks 100, he blocks 100
Reaction Score

Hurley thought he was getting Jared Terrell ended up getting Shamon Tooles. Hope I’m wrong but that’s the sense I get. Understand he’s a freshman but didn’t show me much of anything last year, not even flashes.

Reaction Score
That's fair. I haven't watched him. Stats wise he put up nice ppg 12.5 and rpg 5.5, with a 75% FT and 38% on 3's. His shooting was meh, under 41% and he was turnover prone and didn't block shots.

Aside from boards, FT% and attempts and TO, his stats are similar to Polley's. He just took twice as many 2P shots (on a much lower shooting percentage). 3P shooting was nearly identical. Joel Ntambwe College Stats | College Basketball at Sports-Reference.com

So, do we want a high volume inefficient scorer? Joel shot 42% on 2 PT attempts. Josh shot 60%. With over 3X the blocks and more rebounds. Even Polley was just under 50% on 2 pt attempts. My point is, there is no way he takes that many shots last year if he's playing for UConn. Hurley would bury a guy who shot that percentage at high volume. His numbers aren't far off from freshman Christian Vital.

Wings dont generally shoot 60% from two. 50% is fine. 55+ is great.

Even high 40s would make hom respectable.

ctchamps

Reaction Score
I get what you are saying but since Hurley had him in for a visit and is recruiting him he kind of answers that question for you. Hurley also knows more than us how many scholarships he will have. It may not be an "either or" situation. The picture will soon become clearer once everything plays out.
The only time things are clear in this forum are when the team wins a NC. Check that. If you go back in history in this forum you will find a few posters who will criticize something about those seasons or about how something was handled during the tournament run.

Situations, just like recruiting are fluid. If this kid commits, we fill the other needs, and the team makes the NCAAs most people will be happy. If he commits and things go badly people who are currently excited about his commitment (I'll be one of them) will question Hurley's decision ( I won't be one of them). And forget they argued their original concurrence. For the record I was excited about Sid. Still am. Was excited about Kahlid. Still am. Was excited about Hazelton and we know how that turned out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom