Jodie Foster showing some husky love | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Jodie Foster showing some husky love

Reaction Score
Season 4 is worse than Season 2.

1/3/2/4
Season 1 was one of the best things I've ever seen on TV. Rust Cohle and Marty Hart was the best pairing I've seen and the haunting scenery brought a constant feeling of dread to the whole season...

Season 2 stripped that all away with the weird LA location, the awful casting of Vince Vaughn and Rachel McAdams. Colin Farrell did his best with the material but the writing was so bad...

Season 3 was a bounce back with Mahershala Ali who is always awesome and Stephen Dorff who I wasn't expecting much from but he turned out to be a revelation. It didn't approach season 1 and I was left wanting for more but it was solid and the scene where the partners met up again as older men was so beautiful in it's sadness.

Season 4 just looks bad.

Reaction Score
Season 1 was one of the best things I've ever seen on TV. Rust Cohle and Marty Hart was the best pairing I've seen and the haunting scenery brought a constant feeling of dread to the whole season...

Season 2 stripped that all away with the weird LA location, the awful casting of Vince Vaughn and Rachel McAdams. Colin Farrell did his best with the material but the writing was so bad...

Season 3 was a bounce back with Mahershala Ali who is always awesome and Stephen Dorff who I wasn't expecting much from but he turned out to be a revelation. It didn't approach season 1 and I was left wanting for more but it was solid and the scene where the partners met up again as older men was so beautiful in it's sadness.

Season 4 just looks bad.
4 could’ve been good, was just executed very wrong. But, I thought Navarro was a shining light, she was great.

Reaction Score

Season 4 just looks bad.
Yes, exactly.
1/3/2/4

Reaction Score
I’m sorry but there is just no way anyone can argue 4 is worse than 2. In 2 there were so many random, disconnected story lines you’d have thought it was an American Horror Story season. The moment Rachel and Colin started hooking up out of nowhere was just like wtf it totally solidified that season as a joke.

At least 4, while obviously not as good as 1, had a decent story line that was cohesive and the acting I would say was pretty good, especially from Navarro. We needed more of Fiona Shaw’s character but as someone mentioned above she seems like written in as an afterthought so they could connect this season to the TD universe (she was related to McConnaughey’s father). I enjoyed how they wrapped it up and the “interpret how you will” ending felt very in line with the ethos and spirituality of the native people in the story imo.

Reaction Score
I’m sorry but there is just no way anyone can argue 4 is worse than 2. In 2 there were so many random, disconnected story lines you’d have thought it was an American Horror Story season. The moment Rachel and Colin started hooking up out of nowhere was just like wtf it totally solidified that season as a joke.

At least 4, while obviously not as good as 1, had a decent story line that was cohesive and the acting I would say was pretty good, especially from Navarro. We needed more of Fiona Shaw’s character but as someone mentioned above she seems like written in as an afterthought so they could connect this season to the TD universe (she was related to McConnaughey’s father). I enjoyed how they wrapped it up and the “interpret how you will” ending felt very in line with the ethos and spirituality of the native people in the story imo.
c'mon man, Season 4 was not at all cohesive plot-wise. There were many uneeded characters, many dead-end story lines that added nothing to the narrative, a rushed season finale that was silly at best and lazy at worst, tons of cheap jump scares that added nothing to the story, plot holes you could drive a city bus through, a very forced connection to Season 1.... This being said, the acting was good, but those poor actors were given a steaming pile of you-know-what to work with. I feel sorry for Jody Foster and Kali Reis, they deserved a much better show and script.

Mister Wonderful

Even when I think I’m wrong, I’m right
Reaction Score
I thought it would be bad but haven't watched it. Is it actually even worse than season 2?
Reposting from Reddit:

I thought the writing for this was embarrassing, not a single monologue of any merit that didn't include the word "duckin'".

Under-directed, it's like they couldn't find any ingenuity in creating any shots; no tension, not an ounce of tension in any of it. Jump scares that would make indie horror game devs embarrassed. Cookie cutter characters; side plots that were there to merely serve as padding; Priors wife, who just gets over it within 5 seconds, despite whining for every other scene.

Same with Danvers daughter, acts the rebel for the whole season, only to just come back home and get over it immediately .

A story that could have been told in 1 hour and 30 minutes, padded into 6 hour episodes.

And wow, the themes, pro-suicide, and pro mob justice.

And the character psychology? Yes, if you've worked your entire life as a scientist, achieving a PhD, then getting a prestigious research grant in Alaska.. why wouldn't you become a stab happy lunatic? Not as if you got nothing to lose, right? It's frontier justice baby!

Yes frontier justice is bad, mob justice is wrong, and how do we end the show? By more mob justice, in fact mob justice is a good thing, what a socially irresponsible message for the US viewer, after "LOCK HER UP!", and "STOP THE STEAL" who needs law and order anymore? Just execute justice according to your own feelings.

Frontier Justice Baby!

Throw in a garbage metaphor about mother nature's wrath "SHES AWAKE" and wallah, 93% on RT. Hey, why not an Emmy?

The moral instruction of this show is an indictment as to how low we have sunk as a society. And I personally would very much LOVE a heaping bowl full of whatever drugs the critics were on when they watched this.

Mister Wonderful

Even when I think I’m wrong, I’m right
Reaction Score
I plowed through and finished it because of my wife, turned out she also thought it was stupid and we could have saved ourselves six hours. We should communicate better, I guess. :)

Did all the cleaning ladies live together in the clown car house, or they just happened to be there for their weekly meeting when the cops showed up?

When the cops broke into the ice cave, walked a few steps down the tunnel, and came up into the giant science lab--WTF?

Was the giant science lab not insulated from the arctic cold?

Why did Jodie Foster need so many naps?

This idiocy was just from the last episode. It's like the script was written by a toddler on an acid trip. Jodie Foster was great, but not nearly enough to redeem the hackiness.

Watch "Deadloch" for an infinitely better female-buddy-detective series.
Yeah we had to hate watch it just because we started watching it in the first place realizing how bad it was. I’d be embarrassed if I had anything to do with making that abomination

Reaction Score
c'mon man, Season 4 was not at all cohesive plot-wise. There were many uneeded characters, many dead-end story lines that added nothing to the narrative, a rushed season finale that was silly at best and lazy at worst, tons of cheap jump scares that added nothing to the story, plot holes you could drive a city bus through, a very forced connection to Season 1.... This being said, the acting was good, but those poor actors were given a steaming pile of you-know-what to work with. I feel sorry for Jody Foster and Kali Reis, they deserved a much better show and script.
Idk dude, I think we’ll just have to agree to disagree here. I am by no means saying that 4 was perfect, it certainly had its flaws and left a lot to be desired. I do feel 6 episodes for a season for sure created some problems in terms of story telling and plot resolution and I’m very aware of everyone’s discontent with the supernatural touch in the story. However, IMO the characters and the content of the story felt real and topical to the setting and people of the area to an extent.

In 2, I just felt like the actors were playing such hokey caricatures of “broken, disgruntled and corrupt cops” in LA like they injected heroin into a Starsky and Hutch story line lol I felt like conversely in 4 the characters felt believable (minus forcing Foster to play a sexually active straight woman hahah).

I’m finding everyone’s divided opinions on this season so interesting because there is ALWAYS a mention to season 1 and I think the lens of comparison to that will always leave the viewers disappointed and not just allowing them to enjoy what’s in front of them. Nothing will ever stand up to 1. For me personally I liked how they wrapped up the story given the obvious production restraints it seemed they had and though I prefer there to be less supernatural aspects in TD I think it lent itself to the culture of the native people in the story and I respect that.

Regardless I accept peoples criticism of this season I just refuse to accept that it was worse than 2 Ahhah

Reaction Score
Season 4 story wasn't originally meant to be a True Detective season. Season 4 was a stand alone concept called Night Country that HBO re-branded as True Detective (for obvious reasons) and the TD mythology (flat circles, Rust's Dad, Tuttle Corp) was added to provide legitimacy.

The original True Detective creator/writer had zero to do with Season 4 so it's kind of pointless to compare Season 4 to the prior 3 seasons. It's like if HBO makes a new Sopranos season and David Chase isn't involved...call it what you want HBO but it's not The Sopranos. Season 4 was True Detective in name only.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
If you’re into poor storylines, females in male roles, males in Simp roles, and a terrible ending that makes no sense, season 4 is the season for you!

Reaction Score
Tried to watch it but nope. I should have known it sucked since they gave it so much hype.

NYAD on the other hand, was really good.

Reaction Score
Season 4 is worse than Season 2.

1/3/2/4
Season 4 had better dialogue at least. Season 2 had the worst dialogue I've ever heard.

"Well frankly, I'm apoplectic" "I'm feeling a little apoplectic myself "
"you're hungry, never do anything hungry...not even eating"

There's even worse than that but they won't pass the profanity filter.

WTF, who wrote that garbage.

Reaction Score
I’m sorry but there is just no way anyone can argue 4 is worse than 2.

It looks like several in this thread have argued that pretty well.

I'll add another: as bad as season 2 was, there were at least a few entertaining scenes. I can watch Colin Farrell threaten to b__f__ the bully's father with his mom's headless corpse all day.

There is not a single minute of the season 4 hack job that I ever want to see again.

See? That was another argument.

Reaction Score
This seems borderline emotional for some of you. I didn't love 4 but I was curious as to how it would end so I stuck it out. And I thought the lead opposite Jody Foster was fantastic for a relative novice actor. I watched every episode of 2 up until the finale which I skipped because I just didn't really give a how it ended.

Reaction Score
Idk dude, I think we’ll just have to agree to disagree here. I am by no means saying that 4 was perfect, it certainly had its flaws and left a lot to be desired. I do feel 6 episodes for a season for sure created some problems in terms of story telling and plot resolution and I’m very aware of everyone’s discontent with the supernatural touch in the story. However, IMO the characters and the content of the story felt real and topical to the setting and people of the area to an extent.

In 2, I just felt like the actors were playing such hokey caricatures of “broken, disgruntled and corrupt cops” in LA like they injected heroin into a Starsky and Hutch story line lol I felt like conversely in 4 the characters felt believable (minus forcing Foster to play a sexually active straight woman hahah).

I’m finding everyone’s divided opinions on this season so interesting because there is ALWAYS a mention to season 1 and I think the lens of comparison to that will always leave the viewers disappointed and not just allowing them to enjoy what’s in front of them. Nothing will ever stand up to 1. For me personally I liked how they wrapped up the story given the obvious production restraints it seemed they had and though I prefer there to be less supernatural aspects in TD I think it lent itself to the culture of the native people in the story and I respect that.

Regardless I accept peoples criticism of this season I just refuse to accept that it was worse than 2 Ahhah

When people disagree and tell you that you’re an idiot if you liked it, it’s all you need to know. I mean I’m guessing there’s plenty they like that would make me laugh as well.

It’s ok to disagree but let’s be honest, people have different tastes. #3 wasn’t as good as #1 but it was solid.

Glad someone explained this wasn’t really actually related at all to the True Detective series thus far.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I’m not really sure why this is seems like a personal attack for some for two things people unilaterally agree they don’t hold in high regard lol. I just enjoy discussing film and tv, good or bad and don’t really have any emotional stake in the game if you don’t agree with my opinion because your arguments are so seemingly irrefutable. Obviously your taste in film/tv is none of my business nor do I really care. Just didn’t realize some people’s opinions and arguments here are indisputable like they’re empirical data.

If you want to really consider “arguments” sake you can just look at the critical acclaim it’s received across the industry, critics and peers. Regardless, it’s just a tv show, what good is it if you can’t have a discourse about something artistic without a differing opinion it’s just fun. Can’t wait for everyone’s takes on Dune lol

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
I just finished the final of season 4. It wasn’t ideal but it wasn’t terrible either. I appreciated the way they worked in spirits given the overall tone of the season and the people involved. If that’s Alaska, Alaska blows.

Reaction Score
I just finished the final of season 4. It wasn’t ideal but it wasn’t terrible either. I appreciated the way they worked in spirits given the overall tone of the season and the people involved. If that’s Alaska, Alaska blows.

I can’t count how many times I said to my wife “I’d kill myself if I had to live there.”

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
I can’t count how many times I said to my wife “I’d kill myself if I had to live there.”
I’m damned close to leaving New England in winter and this place is delightful by comparison.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Season 4 was...ok. If you're ranking them I'd go
Season 1
Season 3
Season 4
Season 2

Some of the story lines didn't work so well in Season 4, but the acting was decent. Some of the characters where interesting. I guess the point was NOT to explain everything, being Native "voodoo" like lore. I guess?? But still better than Season 2.

Reaction Score
It sucks that the show got sucked up into the culture war. I really liked it through 4. It began to seem that the creator wouldn’t be able to tie up the story well and then I thought the finale was an all-time bad episode of tv. Oh well. Shogun is incredible, fwiw.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom