Jimmy Bennett | The Boneyard

Jimmy Bennett

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Anyone know his status with regards to a potential 6th year?

He missed all of 09. He played 4 in 2010. Didn't he miss most of 11? Anyone know how many games he appeared in? I believe the threshold is 30% of the games, so it seems like he's out of luck for 2010, but might qualify for 2011. Obviously he needs to get healthy before even matters, but wondering what his chances are at a 6th year.

Reaction Score
He cannot apply for one until after this year. So no one know the status of a 6th year.

Reaction Score
Apply for what? Another year of rehab. Feel bad for the kid, just never seemed to pan out for him.

Reaction Score
Apply for what? Another year of rehab. Feel bad for the kid, just never seemed to pan out for him.
According to the UConn coaches, Jimmy was our best offensive lineman last year. He has had a run of tough luck and it makes it very hard to depend on him. However, if he stays healthy this year, it will be a big plus for the Huskies. At that point, it would be reasonable to talk about a 6th year.

Reaction Score
He cannot apply for one until after this year. So no one know the status of a 6th year.

That's not a particularly helpful response. I'm not sure why this topic would be taboo. If it's just not of interest to you, then I'm not sure why you posted twice.

I'm aware he can't apply until then and that no one will know until the NCAA makes a determination at that point, but the general criteria appear to be if you miss more than 70% of two seasons due to injuries, you stand a chance. I know Bennett missed 70%+ of at least one year ('09), did he miss more than 70% in '11?

Reaction Score
That's not a particularly helpful response. I'm not sure why this topic would be taboo. If it's just not of interest to you, then I'm not sure why you posted twice.

I'm aware he can't apply until then and that no one will know until the NCAA makes a determination at that point, but the general criteria appear to be if you miss more than 70% of two seasons due to injuries, you stand a chance. I know Bennett missed 70%+ of at least one year ('09), did he miss more than 70% in '11?

I think he played too many games and too late into the season in '11 to be eligible for a 6th year. (Unless, of course, he doesn't play this year, in which case he should be eligible for next year.)

Reaction Score

He can't apply for a sixth year until after this year. Period. It's not taboo. It's a fact. With the NCAA, you have no idea what their mindset will be a year from now or even if the rules will be the same. I'm just saying.

Reaction Score
I think he played too many games and too late into the season in '11 to be eligible for a 6th year. (Unless, of course, he doesn't play this year, in which case he should be eligible for next year.)

Thanks. That's exactly what I was looking for.

Reaction Score
BL I am quite sure based on past history with the NCAA Jimmy will get another year provided he wants one. He redshirted his freshman year and was injured in camp his second year. I think he wants to get through this year healthy and then decide if he wants to apply for another. I'm pretty sure he will have 2 degrees by the end of this summer so it will probably depend on health wether he wants to apply for another year. For those who have not met Jimmy he is one of the nicest most respectable young man you will ever meet.

Reaction Score
BL I am quite sure based on past history with the NCAA Jimmy will get another year provided he wants one. He redshirted his freshman year and was injured in camp his second year. I think he wants to get through this year healthy and then decide if he wants to apply for another. I'm pretty sure he will have 2 degrees by the end of this summer so it will probably depend on health wether he wants to apply for another year. For those who have not met Jimmy he is one of the nicest most respectable young man you will ever meet.

I would love to see him here in '13, and wish him nothing but the best. But my understanding is that the NCAA doesn't grant a 6th year when you take a non-medical redshirt as a frosh and then lose one of the next four years to injury.

Reaction Score
BL I haven't looked into as far as NCAA is concerned but I have discussed it with Jimmy and I believe that he thinks he'll get another year if he applies for one.

Reaction Score
Quick notes on final open practice
By johnsilver on April 17, 2012
"Here are some quick notes from today’s practice. Game is 1 p.m. for the Blue White Game."
"Bennett is also a good candidate for his sixth year medical waiver if he wants to play next year according to Pasqualoni. To get that sixth year you have to essentially miss two years because of injuries and the staff feels that if Bennett wants to play in 2013 he has a case to make to the NCAA."

Let's hope he stays healthy and plays strong this year and the NCAA grants him a sixth year medical waiver if he decides to come back next year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom