Jim Mora Expected to be Named HC | Page 9 | The Boneyard

Jim Mora Expected to be Named HC

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
Here's another nice thing.... we wont be chasing coaches in that window from thanksgiving to signing day like other programs. Given our positioning, that had potential to be NOT fun......like watching Edsall look for an OC two seasons ago.

Reaction Score
The opinion of a casual fan: pleasantly surprised we hired a guy with his credentials. Lou Spanos is a nice guy, but I do not any retention of our current staff. We need to clean house.

Reaction Score
Guess he had to sit this one out....he is too tight with Edsall.

But if I were AD David Benedict I would be calling Danny O today to keep the connection alive and well.
That was my point - of course Dan shouldn’t have a significant say, but Dave B. should have called.

Actually little surprised at the vitriol directed at Dan here. If there was a Mount Rushmore of UCONN football he would be the first face carved on the stone.

Reaction Score
The opinion of a casual fan: pleasantly surprised we hired a guy with his credentials. Lou Spanos is a nice guy, but I do not any retention of our current staff. We need to clean house.

I think we are going to see some retention. I'm ok with keeping a few guys, Spanos included. I don't think we've gotten a clear view of his potential as a DC. He's been playing a bunch of babies. He needs to develop those guys and get some experience from the portal to help out. He's outrageously positive and very well liked.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Guess he had to sit this one out....he is too tight with Edsall.

But if I were AD David Benedict I would be calling Danny O today to keep the connection alive and well.
I would call and tell him "Love you Dan, get over it!"

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
This is what makes me nervous - one of the things that is absolutely vital in getting this program on track is to recognize relatively nearby recruiting hotbeds. CT should not be primary focus - Florida, Penn, Ohio and Virginia should be.
If he doesn't realize it now (I imagine he does) he will find out soon enough that in order to compete at the level we want to compete in we can't view our home state (or even all of New England) as a sufficient talent base.

Logically half of our roster will need to come from fertile recruiting grounds with somewhat similar climate (NJ, Maryland, Virginia, Pennsylvania and Ohio). We will also need to bring in some talent (as we have for a couple decades) from Florida and continue with recruiting Texas (a recent addition) along with the occasional recruits from other southern states (Georgia, SC, NC).

The entirety of New England and New York state (except for rare occasions) shouldn't supply more than 20 or so scholarships (throughout all classes) at any point. This doesn't mean we shouldn't be willing to look for talent locally.

Reaction Score
This is the dumbest post ever
Why? Because I have an opinion and don't go weak in the knees when someone off the radar is hired? Think critically my friend. Don't just shout goodie.

Reaction Score
These Old guys, P, Edsall, are mainly collecting one final round of paychecks before they ride off into the sunset permanently.
#MeToo

and in my industry ... I really can spot young talent and can delegate. That is an acquired skillset. HCRE brought his entourage. I will bet we see a whole upgrade in that respect now.

Reaction Score
We're a tiny state. We couldn’t rely primarily on CT recruits.
You can't be serious to think that his appropriate (and mandatory) reference to how important it is to be on board with CT HS coaches and retaining our in-state talent, somehow means that Mora thinks it's more important to recruit CT than recruiting in the areas where talent is abundant. He's not that stupid and neither are you.

Reaction Score
If it was me? The entire staff should be let go for a nice fresh start. But I also believe incoming HC should be able to assemble staff as he sees fit. If he feels comfortable with Spanos (and they had some successful seasons together at UCLA) then he should keep him.

Reaction Score
Why? Because I have an opinion and don't go weak in the knees when someone off the radar is hired? Think critically my friend. Don't just shout goodie.

yeah but ... you are the same Tuthill that opined we ought to drop to FCS and I - vociferously state that nobody would do that after a $300m Investment. So I do watch your posts closely

Reaction Score
At this point, it’s fine. He’s fine. Not excited, not mad.

Just once though. Once… it would be nice if the reaction was “boy, UConn stole that guy.”

He’s well qualified. And nobody else wanted him. If someone else did the chances were good that we wouldn’t get him.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
No. He’s and out of work HC. And we got him for a steal. Nobody else wanted him.

Doesn’t mean he can’t be good but we did not punch above our weight class here.
He’s a very solid hire by any reasonable standard, checking pretty much every box. I agree with you, though, that we “didn’t punch above our weight class.” This is exactly the kind of quality hire that we should reasonably expect for our university and is dramatically better than many of the names that were floated on the board.

Reaction Score
That was my point - of course Dan shouldn’t have a significant say, but Dave B. should have called.

Actually little surprised at the vitriol directed at Dan here. If there was a Mount Rushmore of UCONN football he would be the first face carved on the stone.
And if there were a basketball one Ray would likely be first one carved. He spoke up for Ollie, Benedict did what was best for the program. Just bc they’re a face doesn’t mean they know what’s best.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom