Jim Calhoun to have University of Saint Joseph gym named for him (Borges) | The Boneyard

Jim Calhoun to have University of Saint Joseph gym named for him (Borges)

Reaction Score

Side door access <<

-> UConn has Jim Calhoun Way. Now, the University of Saint Joseph will have Jim Calhoun Gym.

Or, more accurately, James A. Calhoun Gymnasium.

USJ will officially name its basketball gym after the Hall of Fame coach, who came out of retirement after leading the UConn men's basketball program to three national titles and helped build the Blue Jays' program from scratch. The naming ceremony will be held on Thursday from 5-7 p.m. at what is now called O'Connell Athletic Center Gymnasium on the USJ campus.<-

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Love seeing UConn players from all three JC national championship teams in that pic. Also, John Gwynn on the far right!
BC7ED361-47B3-40F0-86EE-D7C582D61CF4.jpeg

A couple of familiar faces there, huh? For all Jim Calhoun achieved during his lifetime, and it is staggering when you take a look at it, the enduring love and affection of his players is no small part of it.

5A82A348-E72E-464E-AF49-342A01329B93.jpeg

Congratulations Coach! It’s well deserved.

Reaction Score
Eh, this gets a bit of an eyeroll from me. He was there for 2 seasons on a charity gig. Feels like forced history and fake pomp.

Reaction Score
Eh, this gets a bit of an eyeroll from me. He was there for 2 seasons on a charity gig. Feels like forced history and fake pomp.
When you create a program from scratch at a historically all girls school, and win the conference tournament in year 2... it's not a eye roll.

This is a big deal for the program of St. Joes...I'd capture and celebrate the creation of a program from the GOAT too.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
It was pretty momentous for them though, as it ushered in their switch to co-ed and instantly gave them recognition and credibility, which he then reinforced by rising to the top of their conference.

Reaction Score

When you create a program from scratch at a historically all girls school, and win the conference tournament in year 2... it's not a eye roll.

This is a big deal for the program of St. Joes...I'd capture and celebrate the creation of a program from the GOAT too.
I don't have a strong opinion one way or another, but one must admit that Calhoun's history prior to St. Joe's is almost 100% of the reason for this gym dedication. In other words, if a young no-name coach was the leader of the fledgling program and was equally as successful as Calhoun (or even more successful, for that matter), there's no way they'd be naming the gym after him or her at this point. I can see how one would roll one's eyes if one accepts that premise.

On the other hand, he's the most successful and influential coach in the (5-year) history of the program, so it's not totally ludicrous.

Reaction Score
One of JC's talents off the court is his ability to attract donations from boosters/alumni/interested parties to the Programs he's been affiliated with to impact their financial objectives on funding growth. At both St J and UConn.. His involvement has been impactful.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score

It was pretty momentous for them though, as it ushered in their switch to co-ed and instantly gave them recognition and credibility, which he then reinforced by rising to the top of their conference.

One of JC's talents off the court is his ability to attract donations from boosters/alumni/interested parties to the Programs he's been affiliated with to impact their financial objectives on funding growth. At both St J and UConn.. His involvement has been impactful.

Calhoun being at Saint Joe’s was not only momentous for them creating a very competitive basketball team out of nothing, but also because it super-charged the schools move from being an all girl school. His impact there has been huge, even though he’s had a relatively short run.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
I drove on it for the first time on Tuesday; I normally would take South Eagleville to Westwood to Hillside Circle to Hillside, but I decided to see which way my GPS would send me. I was pleasantly surprised to be directed to Separatist and then have the GPS announce "Turn right on Jim Calhoun Way." It was even better that the road was lined with facilities for all manner of sports, all of which were brightly lit and teeming with students.

Reaction Score
I drove on it for the first time on Tuesday; I normally would take South Eagleville to Westwood to Hillside Circle to Hillside, but I decided to see which way my GPS would send me. I was pleasantly surprised to be directed to Separatist and then have the GPS announce "Turn right on Jim Calhoun Way." It was even better that the road was lined with facilities for all manner of sports, all of which were brightly lit and teeming with students.
yes we always used to go via Separatist Road but were blocked from it the last few years. So pleased we can go that way again.

Reaction Score

And your rebuttal sounds forced.

He won the conference tournament in one of the two years he was there. Pretty much the same reason the Tarheels play in the Dean Smith Center.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom