Jim Calhoun 'couldn't be prouder' of UConn men's basketball, Dan Hurley's growth as coach (Borges) | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Jim Calhoun 'couldn't be prouder' of UConn men's basketball, Dan Hurley's growth as coach (Borges)

Status
Not open for further replies.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
Great article.

Also telling that Calhoun still has not spoken with Ollie, and yet most here are ready to make amends and invite him back to campus. Not happening anytime soon, nor should it.
“Eventually, Kevin Ollie and my relationship didn’t go the way I would want it to be…” Calhoun said. Calhoun hasn't spoken to Ollie since Ollie was fired. “It was very unfortunate for everybody involved. But, all of us make choices in life.”

Those are JC's words. So you can spin this all you want, but KO made the choice to exclude Calhoun, not the other way around...
We already knew that

Mazhude

"Bark, Bark!"
Reaction Score
We already knew that
Agreed. But some Boneyarders seem to gloss right over that piece of history, as if it had no bearing on everything that happened afterwards.

Reaction Score
"I learned to handle the media, because it is very dominating here," he continued. "But Danny, you can't worry about that. You get paid a lot of money to win. If you don't, don't worry, they'll fire you. If you take care of the things you need to take care of ... Do as you do, you're a very good coach. You evaluate talent very well. You put the team together very well. Stop worrying about things you can't control. It doesn't mean you can't get pissed. But you can't drag it on. We all get pissed on certain things, everybody does every day, but you can't carry it over. My thing was; 'Next.'"

ummmmmm, @Zionn …..you have some serious explaining to do. Think you just exposed yourself to the national/BY media.

Time to come clean, coach.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
There is still a lot of anger towards KO for what he did or was perceived to have done. That's up to individuals how they want to deal with him going forward.

But can we act like JC and stop with the revisionist history of NC #4.

"Danny has worked very hard to become as complete a coach for the program," Calhoun said. "I'm very prideful of what UConn has done. I was prideful that Kevin Ollie won. Eventually, Kevin Ollie and my relationship didn't go the way I would want it to be. But, regardless, we have five. That's an amazing thing. To watch them do it, and somewhat the way they did it, I couldn't be prouder of them."

JC acknowledges KO's accomplishment. He points out that things changed between them but prior to that change he gives KO credit. He was proud of KO's accomplishment. He stated it in this story.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I thought this was interesting.

"I was begging him early to start running more," Calhoun recalled, "which now he's done a good job with."

I'm glad we have a coach who has the self confidence to listen to a Hall of Fame coach who probably has some good suggestions.

Reaction Score
You can feel any way you want about KO I get it. But anyone defending Miller at the end of the day just because he and KO separated is lost. He didn’t just rat out KO he ratted out the University of Connecticuts men’s basketball team and knew there would be consequences. He’s the worst piece of the whole story period!

Reaction Score
It depends what I did wrong, and whether I deserved it. I understand that you like KO, and i have no issue with that. But this post would lead an uneducated observer to believe that KO had nothing to do with what happened, and that it was all somebody else's fault.
There was surely more to it than that. Like the entire other side of the story.
KO was leading the program into oblivion. KO should have been fired. KO should have been paid. The fact the school decided to make him virtually unhireable to not pay him was foul play. It was desperate move by an AD struggling with revenue. I don't need to know the nitty gritty of the details to feel paying him to go away was the best way to move forward before letting things get so ugly publicly.

Reaction Score
KO was leading the program into oblivion. KO should have been fired. KO should have been paid. The fact the school decided to make him virtually unhireable to not pay him was foul play. It was desperate move by an AD struggling with revenue. I don't need to know the nitty gritty of the details to feel paying him to go away was the best way to move forward before letting things get so ugly publicly.
I think both sides came out of the situation looking terrible, but UConn isn’t to blame for Ollie’s inability to get another real coaching job.

KO was rumored to be a candidate to coach the Lakers after the national championship, but over the past few years, zero NBA teams have shown interest in him even as an assistant coach. Why do you think that is?

Reaction Score
Glenn Miller was part of the attempt to destroy Ollie, and may have lied about Ollie in an investigation that ended Ollie's collegiate coaching career. As I have said many times before, I am quite positive every poster on this board would hate everyone involved if their boss A) fired them, B) attempted to (and in this case succeeded in) destroying their career, and C) tried to break a contract to avoid paying $11 million. Actually, I am certain many on this board would go past being pissed about it.

Ollie has a right to be pissed at Miller, and Calhoun chose Miller. None of us know why Calhoun did that. People get in messy situations and the choices are not always clear cut. The only thing we know for sure about what happened is that Ollie kicked UConn's butt in court. We will probably never know the rest, and honestly, it is none of our business.
He most certainly did not kick anyone's butt in court; he won at the whims of an arbitrator, that he never should have been in front of.

Reaction Score
This is my understanding on the Calhoun/KO situation

1. KO wins a title almost immediately, which, even given Calhoun's recruits, is insane. He becomes a huge threat to leave and the university has to overpay to keep him for fear of him jumping to the NBA
2. KO starts to enjoy fame, maybe a little too much, allegedly. He gets divorced at some point. He spends a lot of time at the Owl Bar. Like, way more than you would think an elite coach who needs to be recruiting etc.
3. Apparently there's some Miller/KO situation, where maybe Miller ratted on KO to get rid of him bc he perceived KO to be destroying the program rather than going through something etc
4. KO shuts out Calhoun, who got him the job, prolly because of above or maybe because he just doesnt want to be hastled
5. UConn breaks the contract and gets into a very poorly thought-out court battle for $11 million that airs all the dirty laundry
6. Ollie eventually wins, and he probably deserves to since UConn seemingly tried to fire him on a technicality since they couldn't fire him for what the real problem was, since it was pretty delicate

Some of this is anecdotal and just rumors I've heard posted here and elsewhere and also seen with my own eyes

It is unfortunately. IMO, Ollie got a little too happy with his fame and sat on his laurels and the dissolution of his marriage also affected his life in a negative way and the University, in its attempt to get rid of him, rather htan doing it tastefully behind closed doors, made a huge mess of it. Ultimately, Calhoun stuck with the University cause its his program and he is proud.

Lots of good people make bad choices. doesn't make em terrible people or mean we need to take sides.

Just glad its behind us and I hope someday it'll all be water under the bridge. I hope KO and Calhoun can bury the hatchet while they're both still with us.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
He most certainly did not kick anyone's butt in court; he won at the whims of an arbitrator, that he never should have been in front of.

Ollie won $11.1 from the arbitrator, then UConn settled for another $3.9 9 months later because UConn was going to lose a defamation suit.

In basketball terms, UConn lost in a blowout.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
I think both sides came out of the situation looking terrible, but UConn isn’t to blame for Ollie’s inability to get another real coaching job.

KO was rumored to be a candidate to coach the Lakers after the national championship, but over the past few years, zero NBA teams have shown interest in him even as an assistant coach. Why do you think that is?
UConn literally engineered a “show cause” penalty against Ollie. Bruce Pearl, Steve Forbes and Kelvin Sampson are the only three coaches I know of that ever came back from one to a major job.

The show cause penalty is the definition of destroying a coach’s career.

Reaction Score
UConn literally engineered a “show cause” penalty against Ollie. Bruce Pearl, Steve Forbes and Kelvin Sampson are the only three coaches I know of that ever came back from one to a major job.

The 4 seasons after 14:
2015 20-15
2016 25-11
2017 16-17 (Transfers, recruiting tanked)
2018 14-18

The above trend did some destroying too.

Also, the 3 coaches you listed have less titles than KO combined. You would think they would look past a show cause to hire a champion.

Reaction Score

I mean, the NCAA did that, but sure. And I don’t see how that’s prevented him from getting an NBA job.

Reaction Score
Im not sure.. but I think he fired him.. but I think Glenn Miller ratted out uconn to the ncca
He's actually obligated to do that by the rules of the NCAA. That's mostly how rules / laws work. If you see someone breaking the rules, you either report that, or you are complicit in breaking the rules.

Reaction Score

So what part of the rule breaking that resulted in his show cause penalty did Kevin Ollie NOT do ? That's the only pertinent question here. The NCAA didn't give out such a penalty for fun.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
There is still a lot of anger towards KO for what he did or was perceived to have done. That's up to individuals how they want to deal with him going forward.

But can we act like JC and stop with the revisionist history of NC #4.

"Danny has worked very hard to become as complete a coach for the program," Calhoun said. "I'm very prideful of what UConn has done. I was prideful that Kevin Ollie won. Eventually, Kevin Ollie and my relationship didn't go the way I would want it to be. But, regardless, we have five. That's an amazing thing. To watch them do it, and somewhat the way they did it, I couldn't be prouder of them."

JC acknowledges KO's accomplishment. He points out that things changed between them but prior to that change he gives KO credit. He was proud of KO's accomplishment. He stated it in this story.
True, although, I also heard him say in another interview, how he basically won four national championships.

KO gets credit for 2014, although his coaching really took a downturn after Glenn Miller left.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
So what part of the rule breaking that resulted in his show cause penalty did Kevin Ollie NOT do ? That's the only pertinent question here. The NCAA didn't give out such a penalty for fun.

Ollie demolished UConn in court. That’s the only pertinent answer here. Money talks, and bullspit (like your argument) walks. If the NCAA penalty was valid legally, UConn would be $15 million richer.

No one needs to argue that Ollie’s NCAA penalty was valid again, because $15 million says that my characterization is right and all of yours are wrong.

Got anything else?

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
The 4 seasons after 14:
2015 20-15
2016 25-11
2017 16-17 (Transfers, recruiting tanked)
2018 14-18

The above trend did some destroying too.

Also, the 3 coaches you listed have less titles than KO combined. You would think they would look past a show cause to hire a champion.

Look up what a “show cause” penalty is before you make this argument.

Reaction Score
Look up what a “show cause” penalty is before you make this argument.

I know what a "show cause" is.
Coaches who come back from one are usually worth taking a chance on.

Not to mention that coaches who are "breaking rules" aren't typically also simultaneously losing at a rate not seen since their school was in the yankee conference.

Reaction Score
Ollie demolished UConn in court. That’s the only pertinent answer here. Money talks, and bullspit (like your argument) walks. If the NCAA penalty was valid legally, UConn would be $15 million richer.

No one needs to argue that Ollie’s NCAA penalty was valid again, because $15 million says that my characterization is right and all of yours are wrong.

Got anything else?
Not to rehash things I don’t follow that closely but didn’t he win by an arbitration, and mostly because of the union contract? Not that he didn’t do what UConn claimed he did

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Glenn Miller was part of the attempt to destroy Ollie, and may have lied about Ollie in an investigation that ended Ollie's collegiate coaching career. As I have said many times before, I am quite positive every poster on this board would hate everyone involved if their boss A) fired them, B) attempted to (and in this case succeeded in) destroying their career, and C) tried to break a contract to avoid paying $11 million. Actually, I am certain many on this board would go past being pissed about it.
This entire passage is nonsense since you fail to note Ollie was derelict in his job duties. Of course, I'd be pissed if all that happened to me and I showed up everyday. That's not the case here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom