Jeff Jacobs: The Truth Is, UConn Isn't In BC's League | The Boneyard

Jeff Jacobs: The Truth Is, UConn Isn't In BC's League

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wordbomar

"Walker on McGee with four.."
Reaction Score
Next AAC TV deal is what will either make or break UConn and it’s sad but it is what it is

Reaction Score
One day, it is very possible we'll be laughing at Boston football. Except for the Patriots, of course. Nothing is said and done. We're not even in our final destination, conference-wise.

New London has an interesting mindset. One where they don't care for their own school.

Reaction Score
I disagree with his assessment the we are being "slowly, slowly slowly, strangled" by CR. We strangled ourselves by hiring bad ADs who hired bad coaches. The seeds of our demise date back to Hathaway when we were still in a major conference. CR has been a factor too but we primarily blew it with bad personnel decisions IMO.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
BC is just a bigger and more physical team than UConn right now - HCRE's teams during his 1st tenure would have beaten this BC team and handily
BC has a standout RB, an effective OL and good DBacks
That's the difference - Thanks RedPants

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
I disagree with his assessment the we are being "slowly, slowly slowly, strangled" by CR. We strangled ourselves by hiring bad ADs who hired bad coaches. The seeds of our demise date back to Hathaway when we were still in a major conference. CR has been a factor too but we primarily blew it with bad personnel decisions IMO.

I’d disagree in that it isn’t slowly. It has happened pretty much overnight.

shizzle787

King Shizzle DCCLXXXVII of the Cesspool
Reaction Score
The next AAC TV deal is going to look almost exactly like this one.
I think we will see a slight bump because the MW apparently got the same as they did before and they are slightly worse than us but a slight bump is nothing to write home about.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
I think we will see a slight bump because the MW apparently got the same as they did before and they are slightly worse than us but a slight bump is nothing to write home about.

Even if it triples it’s couch cushion money for the P5.

shizzle787

Reaction Score
Even if it triples it’s couch cushion money for the P5.
I hate to say this but our best hope is for the CTE thing to take hold in the next five years and completely crush football. That way we will likely have 3-4 major basketball conferences (NBE, ACC, B1G, Big 12) trying to woo us and then we will be on par money wise with the others.

Reaction Score
If UConn schedules six football teams a year that it can beat, it can qualify for a bowl games. If UConn has a few bowl game victories I think recruiting might improve. Then our ranking should improve, and we won't be viewed as a weak team. That will help us in realignment.

Reaction Score
If UConn schedules six football teams a year that it can beat, it can qualify for a bowl games. If UConn has a few bowl game victories I think recruiting might improve. Then our ranking should improve, and we won't be viewed as a weak team. That will help us in realignment.

That’s that second time you have said that...

You do realize that we play 8 conference games a year (which we have no choice in who/when) in a 12 game schedule?

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
I hate to say this but our best hope is for the CTE thing to take hold in the next five years and completely crush football. That way we will likely have 3-4 major basketball conferences (NBE, ACC, B1G, Big 12) trying to woo us and then we will be on par money wise with the others.

There is no way that CTE is going to blow football up that fast.

College basketball has a million of its own issues. Without college football money proping it up there is no way they are going to share that shrinking revenue with more schools.

Last edited:

shizzle787

Reaction Score

College basketball has a million of it’s own issues. Without college football money proping it up there is no way they are going to share that shrinking revenue with more schools.
Big East would. We'll see what happens with football.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
We are literally one winning season away from being relevant again.

I think what last night showed was that Boston doesn't care about BC. New England doesn't care about BC. Are they the better football team today? Yes. But there's a reason why they blocked us from the ACC twice. They know what would happen to them if we had the same revenue.

And I know what will eventually happen to them even without the same revenue...

BlueandOG

We are not amused.
Reaction Score
The game was tough last night but the energy was great. Lots of UCONN fans having fun. If you compare the BC game of 2016 with 2017, we look like supermen.

Reaction Score
The next AAC TV deal is going to look almost exactly like this one.

Next TV might be worse than this one. ESPN is losing subscribers as multiple threads have gleefully pointed out so less money to throw around.

Reaction Score
Warde Manuel sucked out loud. It doesn’t change that CR may have made the football job impossible.

It certainly has had a huge negative impact on the men’s basketball program.
Hated Warde the minute he was picked. Taking an AD from Buffalo with zero big time experience or connections was as dumb as it comes. The school neeeded an aggressive AD focused solely on CR, not one trying not to screw up so he could move up as soon as possible to a P5 that can operate on autopilot. He was sipping tropical fruit drinks and was a deer in the headlights.

Reaction Score

College basketball has a million of its own issues. Without college football money proping it up there is no way they are going to share that shrinking revenue with more schools.

I agree, the CTE thing won't impact college football that soon. the only way out of this is to ban together with Cincy and other impacted schools and sue the NCAA and the P5 cartel. If a school like UConn has the desire and the resources to compete at the highest level of college athletics, there's no way legally they can be excluded. Yes, I know all about previous suit and how it backfired on us, but we're getting close to the point where we won't have any bridges left to burn.

shizzle787

Reaction Score
The Big East’s tv deal isn’t all that much and is likely to go down next go round.
Probably but it will probably still be higher than AAC, and that is without football.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SeaDr

Top Bottom