Jeff Jacobs Conveying our sentiments... | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Jeff Jacobs Conveying our sentiments...

GemParty

Co~host of the Sliders & Curveballs Podcast
Reaction Score
Well said. Ollies job is basketball. He has to win & develop the same in front of 100 fans or 50,000.

What's a Boneyard fanatics job? How about a casual fan?
It's to have fun.

Some people enjoy the journey of ups/downs. It may make the championships more euphoric because you've witnessed growth & pain. Some just want to be entertained. It's a fans choice & they say it with their wallets.

Reaction Score
Head coaching is a high wire act and KO makes $3.5 million per year. That means he has to get high quality players for all positions and coach them well. So far he hasn’t done that. How do I know? His record and the empty seats say it all.
Our attendance in the past ranges from 10,000 to 13,000. Good for somewhere between 20th to 40 th place. This season our average is 8500. We won the national championship in 2014 and our average attendance was 10,00. We won the national championship in 2011 and our average attendance was 11,500. Syracuse, Louisville, Kentucky, North Carolina... averages well over 20,000 annually.

C

Chief00

Not sure how much Jeff Jacobs wants to hear about UConn barely beating a 1-4 Columbia team at home, in a game that went to overtime against a squad ranked #190 in the latest Sagarin rankings.

Not sure how much Jeff Jacobs wants to hear about Kevin Ollie sitting idle last week, watching a once proud program take the biggest beating in 40 years in an apathetic effort in a national tournament.

What? Are we being too negative for you, Jeff Jacobs? Yeah, listen to the Boneyard sing, "It's the end of the world, as we know it, Its the end of the world as we know it, and I feel fine."

Sure, UConn never struggled or lost games against basketball programs with a fraction of their resources, budget, and reputation for developing talent. Jim Calhoun instilled a toughness and attitude that willed his teams to victory.

Well, Jim Calhoun isn't walking through that door. And no one should expect any coach to achieve on the same level of the one of the greatest basketball coaches that ever lived. But it also doesn't mean we should accept this.

To give Ollie another pass after a 5-2 start that included struggles against mediocre (at best) basketball teams and an embarrassing no show - man, that's generous. Especially from a writer who was outspoken about Ollie's commitment and approach after the departures last season.

Sure, the kids deserve to tell their story. But they don't "deserve" to do so in front of lots of fans. Before you critique Husky Nation for quitting on the program in November, you should hold the Head Coach and players to that same standard - especially when they quit during the middle of a nationally televised blowout. You want unconditional support and praise, take the stairs and earn it - unless that no longer applies either.

Jeff was reacting to my comment a few days ago that he was too emotional. Guess what, he proved my point!

Reaction Score
"Well, Jim Calhoun isn't walking through that door. And no one should expect any coach to achieve on the same level of the one of the greatest basketball coaches that ever lived. But it also doesn't mean we should accept this."

All I have to say is RE-Stored............

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
"Well, Jim Calhoun isn't walking through that door. And no one should expect any coach to achieve on the same level of the one of the greatest basketball coaches that ever lived. But it also doesn't mean we should accept this."

All I have to say is RE-Stored..

Good writers don't quote Rick Pitino.

Reaction Score
Remember when Coach Calhoun would get up off the bench and hike up his pants before letting whoever he was not happy with, players or refs, have it? He was an imposing presence on the sideline. Ollie is not that. Calhoun also knew what he wanted and the players knew what he wanted and whether they were meeting expectations. The whole Arkansas game we played with our pants around our ankles and for 3/4 of the Columbia game it was the same thing. I don't think the players really have a good idea of what they as a group are supposed to be doing. We win when hero ball is good enough.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Remember when Coach Calhoun would get up off the bench and hike up his pants before letting whoever he was not happy with, players or refs, have it? He was an imposing presence on the sideline. Ollie is not that. Calhoun also knew what he wanted and the players knew what he wanted and whether they were meeting expectations. The whole Arkansas game we played with our pants around our ankles and for 3/4 of the Columbia game it was the same thing. I don't think the players really have a good idea of what they as a group are supposed to be doing. We win when hero ball is good enough.
Kinda like this?

AR-120119934.jpg&Maxw=960&q=75

Reaction Score
It was done with love, although I'm sure it didn't seem that way at the time.
I agree, so don't take me the wrong way. But there is a very fine line. Jim toed it, in fact he was an expert in that.

But that line can easily be crossed.
rutgers-coach-mike-rice-hitting-players.jpg

Even the famous ones...(attachment).

Attachments

• neil_reed_AP404539727391.jpg
    neil_reed_AP404539727391.jpg
    28.7 KB · Views: 106
Reaction Score
Not sure how much Jeff Jacobs wants to hear about UConn barely beating a 1-4 Columbia team at home, in a game that went to overtime against a squad ranked #190 in the latest Sagarin rankings.

Not sure how much Jeff Jacobs wants to hear about Kevin Ollie sitting idle last week, watching a once proud program take the biggest beating in 40 years in an apathetic effort in a national tournament.

What? Are we being too negative for you, Jeff Jacobs? Yeah, listen to the Boneyard sing, "It's the end of the world, as we know it, Its the end of the world as we know it, and I feel fine."

Sure, UConn never struggled or lost games against basketball programs with a fraction of their resources, budget, and reputation for developing talent. Jim Calhoun instilled a toughness and attitude that willed his teams to victory.

Well, Jim Calhoun isn't walking through that door. And no one should expect any coach to achieve on the same level of the one of the greatest basketball coaches that ever lived. But it also doesn't mean we should accept this.

To give Ollie another pass after a 5-2 start that included struggles against mediocre (at best) basketball teams and an embarrassing no show - man, that's generous. Especially from a writer who was outspoken about Ollie's commitment and approach after the departures last season.

Sure, the kids deserve to tell their story. But they don't "deserve" to do so in front of lots of fans. Before you critique Husky Nation for quitting on the program in November, you should hold the Head Coach and players to that same standard - especially when they quit during the middle of a nationally televised blowout. You want unconditional support and praise, take the stairs and earn it - unless that no longer applies either.

Agree 1000%

Reaction Score
"Our" sentiments? LOL

Your sentiments maybe. While I grow closer to the "other side" I still keep my feet on the ground.

Also the fans are just spoiled, you have tickets and don't go you basically suck. Go find another team you're an idiot unless of course you have something else you need to do, are sick or tired or any other understandable reason. I went to many games which I knew they were going to lose in past, they were and still are my team. Good news now is when I can and want to go there are many seats available.

Reaction Score
Love the kids. Have no confidence at all in the coaching staff. The kids, fans and program deserve much better.

UConn has so much more more talent than Columbia, yet had to go to overtime at home to beat them. I'm sure Columbia's coach would love to have talent like UConn has. Fans have every right to be disappointed in what we have seen over the past 3 plus seasons. To think things are going to improve much under this coaching staff has no rational basis. UConn beats cupcakes, often struggling to do so. UConn rarely beats good teams anymore, and I don't see that changing under the current leadership. I wish I could be more optimistic, but the recent body of work dictates otherwise.

As a side note, KO had a confidence and a swagger his first two seasons. Those qualities are nowhere to be found recently, and I believe that carries over to the team's play.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score

I am still behind Ollie, He had near 100% turn over in his regular rotation and UConn has never been a program to recruit entire teams of 1&dones.

That said, his reaction after the Jalen Adams phantom foul (1:07:32) was mind boggling and a representation of why he is (and his teams are) so frustrating. Dwayne Killings said something to him, and Ollie responded with a quizzical yet subdued, "Goddann (Had to be, his lips never came together to complete the "Mmm" sound and the end of the word.)." Calhoun would have blown a gasket, which would have led to 2 or 3 make-up calls on ensuing possessions. In fact, I dare say that the phantom foul would have never have been called because Calhoun would have been chirping in the officials' collective ears for the entire first half.

Chirping seems to be a trait of most coaches ranging from decent to HoF. For some reason, Ollie doesn't do it, as if he doesn't know how to. He has two speeds: 1) sit on the bench with his furrowed WTF brow and forehead creases working, or 2) knocking SDI stat sheets all over the place. Chirping seems to be the happy medium. Yes, you'll get a technical every so often. So what? Playing vs. a 1-4 Ivy league team favored by 11 is when you are supposed to get techs. The message carries over to games at MSG vs #6 teams (Maryland 2015. The aforementioned stat sheet incident). If UConn went down by 7 to Columbia, Calhoun would get a tech before the 16:00 timeout just on principle.

Reaction Score
I am still behind Ollie, He had near 100% turn over in his regular rotation and UConn has never been a program to recruit entire teams of 1&dones.

That said, his reaction after the Jalen Adams phantom foul (1:07:32) was mind boggling and a representation of why he is (and his teams are) so frustrating. Dwayne Killings said something to him, and Ollie responded with a quizzical yet subdued, "Goddann (Had to be, his lips never came together to complete the "Mmm" sound and the end of the word.)." Calhoun would have blown a gasket, which would have led to 2 or 3 make-up calls on ensuing possessions. In fact, I dare say that the phantom foul would have never have been called because Calhoun would have been chirping in the officials' collective ears for the entire first half.

Chirping seems to be a trait of most coaches ranging from decent to HoF. For some reason, Ollie doesn't do it, as if he doesn't know how to. He has two speeds: 1) sit on the bench with his furrowed WTF brow and forehead creases working, or 2) knocking SDI stat sheets all over the place. Chirping seems to be the happy medium. Yes, you'll get a technical every so often. So what? Playing vs. a 1-4 Ivy league team favored by 11 is when you are supposed to get techs. The message carries over to games at MSG vs #6 teams (Maryland 2015. The aforementioned stat sheet incident). If UConn went down by 7 to Columbia, Calhoun would get a tech before the 16:00 timeout just on principle.

Down by 7? I still remember the technical he got in Chestnut Hill in a huge game to end the regular season in (I think) '03 while we were opening the game with a 14-0 run.

Reaction Score

Dilly Dilly!

Reaction Score
Kemba or Amida or Taliek (smile wise) are not coming through the door. Have a bunch of quiet/serious guys on the court (maybe Anderson is bit more demonstrative). Watched the last game again and looked for body language on the court and bench. This is a serious team trying to be good and get better. Faults, sure there are plenty. Larrier's handle, over reacting to drives at the expense of 3 point line, Adams shooting, etc; but this was a game where quiters would have quit. Guys were very supportive of each other (in their quiet way), didn't see any WTF was that looks.

I was impressed how hard they worked for 45 minutes in a game where "everyone" thought it should be a cake walk (except the opponent). UConn won because they out worked the opponent not out played them. Ollie and his 2 sidekicks seemed to me to be in the game the entire time and liked their interactions with players and game decisions. Don't see all the drama on Ollie should do this or that.

You guys want Bruce Pearl or Calamari type on bench, I'll take what we have instead. You want Duke/Kentucky/Kansas type recruiting become a behind the scenes booster with connections and money and go to it.

Am I saying we win #5, no, but this is no dumpster fire (yet). Will we underperform what's needed for Ollie to keep job, could but sure hope not. We are not an elite team so there will be a thin line between great/acceptable/disaster.

sammydabiz

I sport NewBalance sneakers to avoid a narrow path
Reaction Score
Good news now is when I can and want to go there are many seats available.
That's good news?!?!
Seems pretty selfish to me, but hey Mau, I guess as long as you're good (and can find a good seat) All is well then.
Congratulations...

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
We live in a time when filled arenas are a challenge for all sports teams, but 3,808 sends a message louder than griping about the coach. And I don't think it's a fair one at this point. The kids deserve to tell their story on the court in front of lots of fans that don't quit on them in November.

He has a point. Let's stay with the team and assess things at the end of the season. I think the players deserve that.

They absolutely and 1000 percent do.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
Dilly Dilly!
Anheiser-Busch has has really had some HoF advertising campaigns. I'm on the wagon at the moment and don't really drink beer in the quantities as I used to even when I'm off it, but it'd be nice if they'd divert some of those advertising dollars toward research and development.

Reaction Score
“ We are not an elite team”

There it is, you done said it yourself. Perhaps you’re missing it but that is exactly what has so many worked up. It wasn’t that long ago that we were.

Reaction Score
That's good news?!?!
Seems pretty selfish to me, but hey Mau, I guess as long as you're good (and can find a good seat) All is well then.
Congratulations...

Sarcasm but who would expect you to see that when you're probably using your typewriter sending letters to Dave B 10 times a day asking him to remove KO? I'm the farthest thing from selfish I promise biz-buz.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom