OT: - Jay Young Out At Fairfield | Page 2 | The Boneyard

OT: Jay Young Out At Fairfield

Reaction Score
It’s not a good job.

They haven’t won a conference title in like 30 years and even Ed Cooley’s magical run that got him to Providence ended in the second round of the NIT. To his credit, he’s the only one since the flood to get out of Fairfield with a winning record.
And I would add, one could argue that the job is even worse now with all the extra booster money, putting extra pressure to succeed.

The MAAC is still a really hard conference to win consistently, especially with so much talent, transferring out over the last few off-seasons. Iona is still the class of the conference too.

Reaction Score
And I would add, one could argue that the job is even worse now with all the extra booster money, putting extra pressure to succeed.

The MAAC is still a really hard conference to win consistently, especially with so much talent, transferring out over the last few off-seasons. Iona is still the class of the conference too.

Speaking of which. Why didn't Iona make a run at Young?

Reaction Score
Just speculation, but Tobin was a perfect fit.

Similar defense to Pitino, great with guard development, a splashy move due to the Purdue victory and regional success, and also Tobin has a long reputation for a winning head coach across all collegiate levels.

Tobin was 100% a home run hire for Iona.

I'm sure Kimani would be a great fit too.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
I realize that it is inevitable (Kimani and Luke moving on to run their own programs) and for the big picture I will want this for both of them.

At the moment I'm not ready to lose either one.

Reaction Score
It’s not a good job.

They haven’t won a conference title in like 30 years and even Ed Cooley’s magical run that got him to Providence ended in the second round of the NIT. To his credit, he’s the only one since the flood to get out of Fairfield with a winning record.

Partial credit to Tim O’Toole who at least tried to cheat his way to success there.
Uconn guy now, but back in the day went to Fairfield.

Reaction Score
I've lived in Fairfield since '84. It's not an easy job. There are schools in the conference who have more money, a bigger fanbase and less ethics. That having been said, Fairfield was far more competitive before moving to Harbor Yard, where they played in a glorified high school gym but had a fan base and people showed up. It must have been awful trying to recruit kids to play in an empty Harbor Yard. Hopefully they can become more competitive with the new on campus facility.

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
I've lived in Fairfield since '84. It's not an easy job. There are schools in the conference who have more money, a bigger fanbase and less ethics. That having been said, Fairfield was far more competitive before moving to Harbor Yard, where they played in a glorified high school gym but had a fan base and people showed up. It must have been awful trying to recruit kids to play in an empty Harbor Yard. Hopefully they can become more competitive with the new on campus facility.
Fairfield is a strange job. The school has academic requirements that the Iona’s don’t have. But they have money don’t let them kid you, and attendance increased in droves last year. I know people down at my marina who aren’t even alums shelling out thousands for seats.

The new arena is nice, but the AD still hasn’t proved he is serious about basketball. The arena came about because Mahoney dumped cash for it. They’ll make a run at Murray but hire an idiot.

Reaction Score
Alumni Hall was a real fun place to catch games…I guess I like glorified high school gyms :)

Reaction Score
Because young is a truly dreadful coach. I am a fairfield alumni and the basketball program is a dumpster fire. Luke murray is. Fairfield alum but his first job as head coach will be much better. I think kinani would be a great fit. Deserves better but his past has prevented better opportunities. Cooley was very good At Fairfield but failed to capitalize with ncaa bid. Iona is always formidable obstacle for ncaa bid. Siena also tough and usually hosts maac tournament. I doubt kimani or luke have interest

CTBasketball

Reaction Score
Because young is a truly dreadful coach. I am a fairfield alumni and the basketball program is a dumpster fire. Luke murray is. Fairfield alum but his first job as head coach will be much better. I think kinani would be a great fit. Deserves better but his past has prevented better opportunities. Cooley was very good At Fairfield but failed to capitalize with ncaa bid. Iona is always formidable obstacle for ncaa bid. Siena also tough and usually hosts maac tournament. I doubt kimani or luke have interest
Even when Cooley was there the was no hype around the program. He hit gold with Derek Needham, then flopped in the MAAC when Sanders followed him from BC. That team was loaded, total failure. I boycotted the program after Cooley refused to shake my hand when I was a freshman because I was wearing a UConn shirt.

So throughout my years of education at both Fairfield & UConn I never attended one Fairfield game. I was driving up to Storrs and Hartford multiple times a week. That program down there could rot in hell as long as the AD is employed.

Reaction Score
Even when Cooley was there the was no hype around the program. He hit gold with Derek Needham, then flopped in the MAAC when Sanders followed him from BC. That team was loaded, total failure. I boycotted the program after Cooley refused to shake my hand when I was a freshman because I was wearing a UConn shirt.

So throughout my years of education at both Fairfield & UConn I never attended one Fairfield game. I was driving up to Storrs and Hartford multiple times a week. That program down there could rot in hell as long as the AD is employed.
Cooley had a hard-o for UConn even during his Fairfield days?

CTBasketball

Reaction Score
Cooley had a hard-o for UConn even during his Fairfield days?
He’s Providence born, then studied under Al Skinner at BC. He’s bread to hate UConn.

Funny part is he begged Rakim Sanders to come to Fairfield, who was a double digit scorer for 3 years at BC. Rakim sat out a year due to transfer rules, then Cooley dipped when Providence came knocking. Leaving Rakim with Sydney Johnson and a CIT finish in 2012 for his RS senior season.

Guy burns a lot of bridges.

Reaction Score
He’s Providence born, then studied under Al Skinner at BC. He’s bread to hate UConn.

Funny part is he begged Rakim Sanders to come to Fairfield, who was a double digit scorer for 3 years at BC. Rakim sat out a year due to transfer rules, then Cooley dipped when Providence came knocking. Leaving Rakim with Sydney Johnson and a CIT finish in 2012 for his RS senior season.

Guy burns a lot of bridges.
Seriously? We’re going to single the guy out for bailing on a mid-major program after he recruited players to give something else up to play for him? You don’t think there are kids that went to Wagner or Rhodey specifically to play for Hurley?

Reaction Score
Seriously? We’re going to single the guy out for bailing on a mid-major program after he recruited players to give something else up to play for him? You don’t think there are kids that went to Wagner or Rhodey specifically to play for Hurley?

I agree with you on this one. Cooley had every right to leave Fairfield, just like Hurley after his second season at Wagner. I'm sure plenty of players were annoyed at him for that, but coaching is a career. You make career moves regardless of whose feelings get hurt along the way. All's fair in love and coaching.

This is all assuming Cooley (or anyone) didn't make promises to players about sticking around. If you're lying about your intentions, then you deserve to be roasted.

CTBasketball

Reaction Score
Yes he’s got a track record.

CTBasketball

Reaction Score
Fairfield is a horrible job, he did a great job and had every right to move on. He left the program in great shape and Sydney johnson ran the program into the ground
Johnson did run it into the ground, but I’m not sure if it’s a horrible job.

Reaction Score
Fairfield is a strange job. The school has academic requirements that the Iona’s don’t have. But they have money don’t let them kid you, and attendance increased in droves last year. I know people down at my marina who aren’t even alums shelling out thousands for seats.

The new arena is nice, but the AD still hasn’t proved he is serious about basketball. The arena came about because Mahoney dumped cash for it. They’ll make a run at Murray but hire an idiot.
They can recruit IF the new coach runs more of an up tempo offensive friendly system. Running the Princeton offense and trying to win games 55-54 recruits kids as effectively for them as playing defense, running the ball, and trying to win 10-7 has for UConn football.

Reaction Score
Johnson did run it into the ground, but I’m not sure if it’s a horrible job.
It is, leadership of school sucks. I graduated is 88. They made the tournament twice while i was there and only once in last 35 years. Cooley era was about the only time they actually had a good team

Reaction Score
Can't believe their last MAAC title and NCAA bid were under Cormier, crazy (other than Cooley's regular season MAAC title).

Reaction Score
And it doesn’t look good…

With the booster money, wonder if Young/Murray would bite if the school reached out to either.

All our fish are too big. They’re going to bigger programs and I would bet they stay until the right out of conference job reaches out. Maybe aside from nova.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom