Jay Williams as a color commentator | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Jay Williams as a color commentator

Reaction Score
Seems weird to me when people carp on sports announcers. I pretty much universally watch the game, and treat the announcers like background crowd noise. If anyone were to ask me what the guy just said, 90% of the time I couldn’t tell you.
I don’t like what I hear I turn the volume off. It many times enhances my concentration and game experience, reducing stress levels. Did this many times during the tourney.

Reaction Score
I loved when Jay went on this long tangent about something (not sure what it was I stopped listening) and Ravech just interjects “will you just answer the question?!”

Then coming back from halftime he has his kids at the announcers table. Kinda weird

Reaction Score
I love Jay Dubs. He’s a man after my own heart. Jay and Donny is my dream team, and I wish they called every one of our games. Such knowledge, dignity, and handsomeness. I thoroughly enjoy the broadcast but I wish Indiana didn’t fold like a tent. We need good competition to be great.
Pretty weird take. Dignity and handsomeness? From a color guy on a college hoop broadcast.

Reaction Score
Yeah, announcers don't generally bother me much, different styles are interesting, but I really found him annoying yesterday.

Reaction Score
It has always seemed to me that Williams has an ESPN job b/c of the Dook machine and people feel sorry for him that he made an idiotic decision (he wasn't wearing a helmet, motorcycle violated & voided his contract, speeding etc..) and squandered his talent and basketball career by buying and riding a motorcycle that he then crashed severely injuring himself. The fact that he'd still have the gall to criticize someone else's vehicle/transport/driving decisions without knowing the facts is as bad as his diarrhea of the mouth nonstop babbling. Sure he knows the game but someone needs to tell him to talk just about that otherwise STFU.

Last edited:

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
Like many announcers for both the women's games, they need to stop the incessant talking. Call the game, make decent analysis - that is all.

My wife picked it up immediately. Williams playing the "I wanted to go to UConn but they did select me" crap set the tome in our house.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
He was awful today. And his comment about the crowd feeling more red was interesting considering uconn outnumbered IU fans
Not based on the eye test looking around the arena. For those who are saying well a lot of the people in red may have been Louisville fans, I will say the eye test walking around the concourse was that they were predominantly Indiana fans. They showed up in force, good for them. They also were arrogant and a little obnoxious at the start of the game and absolutely crushed at the end of the game. So basically they were the perfect opposing fan.
U Mad Bro Drinking GIF by Travis

Reaction Score
Pretty weird take. Dignity and handsomeness? From a color guy on a college hoop broadcast.
It's obvious at this point that he likes to post strange stuff just to get a rise out of people. Better off just ignoring him.

Reaction Score
I'm probably in the minority here, but I found the whole discussion of the Rolls Royce thing hilarious, especially while the game was going on. Just ridiculous. I like when things are sometimes ridiculous.

Reaction Score
I had to google DJ Wagner after our game. JWill speculating that he could transfer to Louisville after the season must have been grounded in some reality. But na, he is doing fine and more than likely will be a one and done. That is scummy and unprofessional. Imagine if we were watching a UK game and the commenter goes on some anti-NIL tangent and begins to speculate that Steph Castle will transfer to Providence. Williams isn’t totally devoid of talent on-air but it’s not like he’s so good that he compensates for his grating personality and huge ego.

Reaction Score
I find most of the color Guys obnoxious. This includes Donny. I mute the TV and listen to music. Much more enjoyable.

Reaction Score
It has always seemed to me that Williams has an ESPN job b/c of the Dook machine and people feel sorry for him that he made an idiotic decision (he wasn't wearing a helmet, motorcycle violated & voided his contract, speeding etc..) and squandered his talent and basketball career by buying and riding a motorcycle that he then crashed severely injuring himself. The fact that he'd still have the gall to criticize someone else's vehicle/transport/driving decisions without knowing the facts is as bad as his diarrhea of the mouth nonstop babbling. Sure he knows the game but someone needs to tell him to talk just about that otherwise STFU.
Maybe he can go back to volleyball. He was third team all state in that, wasn't he?

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
when he was on the morning show he opening talked about how much he was pulling in at Duke. Weird he’s on that hill now

Reaction Score
He was horrible. Didn’t shut up once. Filled every second without play-by-play with nonsense and was openly cheering for Indiana. As bad is it gets.
With Jay Williams, commentating is like riding a bike........

Reaction Score
Talking Bob Knight, describing him as an in your face coach, then saying UConn has one too, Hurley Sr.
No mention of Jim Calhoun in that sequence.

If you just listened to announcers, you’d think Indiana was up 10.

Even talking talent, suggested Indiana is every bit as talented as UConn. But failed to mention UConn missing starting guard.
Also, if they're as talented that must mean DH is a much better coach than the former NBA star coaching IU.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
With Jay Williams, commentating is like riding a bike........
If it goes on for too long it's a pain in the ass?

Reaction Score
Yes they live in a bubble of pre 1988 glory.
My uncle (moved to Indiana in the 50's and all the kids were born there and went to IU) has been rolling over in his grave since 1999. He always put down UConn and said they'd never win anything. His now adult kids used to politely dismiss UConn but after the last couple championships they admit admiration for the program.
We were out to dinner with one of my cousins and his wife in Florida in 1987 and, as a good Big East fan I was rooting for Syracuse, and my cousin said before the game they don't have a chance. In retrospect the game turned out OK............he got his win and TO still has JB 2 to 1!

Reaction Score
I can’t believe Calhoun picked Robertson over Williams. A rare error by the GOAT.
JC would have offers out to two players for the same position and let them know the first to accept would be the one he took.
Another good example was KO over Travis Best.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
Thought Williams was fine - mentioned multiple times UConn was playing with more energy and was very complimentary of the program and Hurley.

Reaction Score
If it goes on for too long it's a pain in the ass?
His NBA contract prohibited riding motorcycles but he did so anyway and the injuries he suffered in an accident were so severe they ended his career. The team (Bulls?) paid off his contract, perhaps to avoid the possible bad publicity that would come with holding him to the contract's terms.

I mentioned it because it seems to illustrate his arrogance and sense of self being more important than living within the terms of the contract. Fits with what others have said about his comments being so heavily slanted about himself.

Samoo

Providence-Newark-San Antonio
Reaction Score
I said he was amongst the worst I’ve ever heard. So yes I was absolutely on same page as you. Shocked he made it through layoffs but maybe has a favorable contract….
The SMU of broadcasters, he’s working for free…

Reaction Score
He is:
1) A sport radio/TV guy and doesn't know how to switch gears

2) A Dukie

Of course he was going to suck. Did anyone expect an alternative outcome? However, I believe he will improve on point #1. Death is the only cure for point #2.

Reaction Score
JC would have offers out to two players for the same position and let them know the first to accept would be the one he took.
Another good example was KO over Travis Best.
Would've loved to have seen what Calhoun could've done with Travis Best, he was a beast.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom