Jay Williams as a color commentator | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Jay Williams as a color commentator

Reaction Score
Just wondering if anyone else was as annoyed with him as I was. Holy crap, stop talking already! Let the game breathe. I'm putting the game on mute tomorrow night.

Did Calhoun really take Tony Robertson over him? Hard to believe that.

Was it he or Ravech that mentioned Clingan "is driving around in a Rolls Royce"? A friend of mine texts me saying, "Clingan has a Rolls Royce? Wtf." Totally stupid comment that gives everyone watching a bad impression of Clingan that couldn't be further from the way Clingan is. As everyone who read that very long article in the New Haven Register written by Mike Anthony knows, that's not the story. Clingan was in LA with other UConn athletes to kick off Marc D'Amelio's NIL collective. He and Victor Rosa wanted to go to a mall and were going to Uber there. D'Amelio throws Clingan the keys to a convertible Rolls Royce coupe and tells them to take that.

It's hard to believe everything commentators say.
I said he was amongst the worst I’ve ever heard. So yes I was absolutely on same page as you. Shocked he made it through layoffs but maybe has a favorable contract….

Reaction Score
The crowd noise was the only reason I tolerated that annoying commentary. I like to feel the energy of the crowd and do my best to ignore the likes of this guy and the Bill Waltons out there. Especially Bill Walton….

Reaction Score
I had to shut them down early on. He was incessant, horrible and not even close to objective. In the second half I think he realized his cheerleading wasn't helping Indiana so he finally reeled it in.

Reaction Score
Just wondering if anyone else was as annoyed with him as I was. Holy crap, stop talking already! Let the game breathe. I'm putting the game on mute tomorrow night.

Did Calhoun really take Tony Robertson over him? Hard to believe that.

Was it he or Ravech that mentioned Clingan "is driving around in a Rolls Royce"? A friend of mine texts me saying, "Clingan has a Rolls Royce? Wtf." Totally stupid comment that gives everyone watching a bad impression of Clingan that couldn't be further from the way Clingan is. As everyone who read that very long article in the New Haven Register written by Mike Anthony knows, that's not the story. Clingan was in LA with other UConn athletes to kick off Marc D'Amelio's NIL collective. He and Victor Rosa wanted to go to a mall and were going to Uber there. D'Amelio throws Clingan the keys to a convertible Rolls Royce coupe and tells them to take that.

It's hard to believe everything commentators say.
I think I’ve heard him tell the story a bit differently before. More like JWill called Calhoun to tell him he was coming, but Calhoun had already taken his last scholarship player for that class. If Robertson committed before JWil was ready, that’s plausible.

Hard to imagine how talented those teams would have with him added. He and Butler make a pretty nice combination.

Reaction Score
I think I’ve heard him tell the story a bit differently before. More like JWill called Calhoun to tell him he was coming, but Calhoun had already taken his last scholarship player for that class. If Robertson committed before JWil was ready, that’s plausible.
Hard to imagine it went down like that. Wouldn't Calhoun have told Williams that already? But whatever. Just never heard that he was that high on UConn.

Reaction Score
When Jay Williams was at Duke, Dick Vitale said he was the best point guard in the country, college or pro. That was the kind of garbage we had to listen to when Vitale was using his on air position to recruit for Coach K.
Did same thing with Reddick as the best shooter college or pro. At least he's consistently biased I guess.

Reaction Score
I’d love confirmation on this from folks who were at MSG. Were they all IU fans, or were some Texas and Louisville fans just hating on UConn and rooting for an easier potential opponent?
There was a lot of red, but it is more that the red stood out and the blue all UConn fans were wearing blended into the background. There was more UConn fans there for sure, but an impressive turnout from Indiana.

Reaction Score
Did same thing with Reddick as the best shooter college or pro. At least he's consistently biased I guess.
Speaking of Reddick , he’s another announcer who can’t shut up and thinks he knows everything.

Common denominator…Puke

BGesus4

Running everywhere
Reaction Score
I actually think Jay Williams has gotten better. No chance Calhoun or any coach in the country for that matter wouldn’t have taken Williams, he was prob the most decorated incoming freshman his year, but he was just trying to make up a relevant story for the audience.

Ravech I can’t stand on basketball calls. I feel like he barely knows enough basketball to create a game’s worth of content.

Reaction Score
I actually think Jay Williams has gotten better. No chance Calhoun or any coach in the country for that matter wouldn’t have taken Williams, he was prob the most decorated incoming freshman his year, but he was just trying to make up a relevant story for the audience.

Believe it or not, Calhoun pretty much confirmed this story earlier this year. JWill interviewed JC on his ?radio? show a few months ago. I believe it was right after we won the title. JC confirmed that he took Robertson over Jwill....but never gave any detail as to why.

Reaction Score
I thought his game analysis is pretty good.

He does need to limit the 'look at me' stories.

I do have to wonder if the ugly first half of the first half got the ball rolling for him. When teams are missing shots, fouling and turning the ball over.

I don't think Coach K (even retired) and Duke like him saying he was going to go to UConn if they hadn't taken Robertson ahead of him. He's basically saying Duke was his backup school and admits why he might have a little grudge against UConn.

Reaction Score
Agree on Williams. Someone from ESPN needs to tell him this is a college basketball analyst role and it's not the JWill, Keyshawn & Max radio show anymore. He doesn't need to talk incessantly and give his hot takes. The commentary on Bob Knight was cringeworthy, and you could tell Ravich had had enough when tried to get back to the action on the floor, but Williams just kept going on and on. What true analysis he did provide was pretty good, but there was too little analysis and too much JWill schtick.

Reaction Score
They all suck. On the flip side, let him tell everyone Clingan was driving around in a Rolls. What effect will that have on recruits? I'd say a fairly positive one. or go with the Bugatti

car GIF by Top Gear

Reaction Score
Really bad. Very surprised. His in-studio commentary decent, but this was something else.

Ravech did a good job of ragging on him and keeping it entertaining.

WeAreUCONN

Why So Serious ¿
Reaction Score
I love Jay Dubs. He’s a man after my own heart. Jay and Donny is my dream team, and I wish they called every one of our games. Such knowledge, dignity, and handsomeness. I thoroughly enjoy the broadcast but I wish Indiana didn’t fold like a tent. We need good competition to be great.

Tommyboy

a lot of people go to college for seven years
Reaction Score
Watched the game after being at the Jaguars game. Williams was absolutely brutal. He is flat out bad.

Reaction Score
I’d love confirmation on this from folks who were at MSG. Were they all IU fans, or were some Texas and Louisville fans just hating on UConn and rooting for an easier potential opponent?
FWIW the lower bowls were heavily IU fans. There were very few Texas or Louisville fans.

A lot of lower sections, including mine, were 80% IU. The upper sections were more UConn. Tomorrows tickets will be cheap…

Reaction Score
The red stood out and was noticeable from the jump but as the gameplay started you could hear UConn fans loud and plenty. Personally I thought my section in the 200s was evenly mixed. Don't really think it was the case of Louisville fans(red) being mixed in, were fans really buying tickets for both games in large numbers? I doubt it.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Didn't Williams say that Castle could end up being the best UConn guard ever? I hope so but that's an outrageous statement to make at this point with UConn's history. Or maybe he was talking about future NBA success?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom