Jay Bilas showing UConn women some love | The Boneyard

Jay Bilas showing UConn women some love

Reaction Score
On today's College Gameday when talking about great men's coaches, Jay Bilas stated that "UConn women's team is the most dominant program in the history of the game". He later went on to say "Gabby Williams is the most complete player in college basketball, men or women".

Reaction Score
Kudos to Bilas. That's a powerful statement that should have gabby trending on google and YouTube, and that is just from his cohosts. If anyone has a link, I would love to see that.

JS

Reaction Score
I remember a much older Bilas comment -- in reference to the top of the WCBB heap -- that received favorable attention here and hugely negative attention on The Summitt.

Around the turn of this century, after one of TASS's drubbings of the LVs, he said that looking at the UConn program and "what they have coming" (reference Taurasi) "We're witnessing the changing of the guard."

Popular here, unpopular there, accurate and prophetic.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
On today's College Gameday when talking about great men's coaches, Jay Bilas stated that "UConn women's team is the most dominant program in the history of the game". He later went on to say "Gabby Williams is the most complete player in college basketball, men or women".

If Bilas is this impressed with Williams, this should give one pause to be optimistic about the chances of Williams to be selected as an ALL American this year. The Boneyard collective has been making similar overtures since the beginning of the season. Bilas does not focus on WCBB per se, so the fact that he has taken notice of her skill set and accomplishments this season is noteworthy. His opinion that she is "the most complete player in college basketball", puts her at the top of the summit, especially when he includes all of the male players as well.

IMO, I think Lou and Williams are STRONG candidates (shoe-ins) for AA honors this season. They are both having that kind of season thus far. To be honest, Collier deserves strong consideration too. She's having a phenomenal season. She's as consistent as any other player on the team. Being a huge UConn fan, I'm admittedly bias here; but I've got got to call them as I see them. Let's just hope the AA selection committee shares our views by the end of the season.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
If Bilas is this impressed with Williams, this should give one pause to be optimistic about the chances of Williams to be selected as an ALL American this year.
The Boneyard collective has been making similar overtures since the beginning of the season. Bilas does not focus on WCBB per se, so the fact that he has taken notice of her skill set and accomplishments this season is noteworthy. His opinion that she is "the most complete player in college basketball", puts her at the top of the summit. IMO, I think Lou and Williams are STRONG candidates (shoe-ins) for AA honors this season. They are both having that kind of season thus far. Let's just hope the AA selection committee shares our views.

Unfortunately even if Gabby averages a double double for the season I think there are those that would not recognize her greatness............they are only interested in points scored per game.............the fact that there are two other UConn players in the running for AA status might also dilute the voting..........

Zorro

Nuestro Zorro Amigo
Reaction Score
I remember a much older Bilas comment -- in reference to the top of the WCBB heap -- that received favorable attention here and hugely negative attention on The Summitt.

Around the turn of this century, after one of TASS's drubbings of the LVs, he said that looking at the UConn program and "what they have coming" (reference Taurasi) "We're witnessing the changing of the guard."

What is this "Summitt" of which you speak?

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
Unfortunately even if Gabby averages a double double for the season I think there are those that would not recognize her greatness..they are only interested in points scored per game...the fact that there are two other UConn players in the running for AA status might also dilute the voting.....
Charlie I certainly understand your perspective on the offensive favoritism the voting collective has traditionally shown, let me offer this perspective if I may (trying to keep the glass half full), given the number of games UConn has had on national TV, the upcoming SC games on TV and the the fact Geno, Lawson, Lobo, Burke and now Bilas have touted Gabby's unique skills and strong contibutions based on her domination against all competition, Big and quick, I am in agreement with Carnac that KLS and Gabby will get AA recognition with a decent chance for Napheesa. I am going to be optimistic on this!

Reaction Score
Charlie I certainly understand your perspective on the offensive favoritism the voting collective has traditionally shown, let me offer this perspective if I may (trying to keep the glass half full), given the number of games UConn has had on national TV, the upcoming SC games on TV and the the fact Geno, Lawson, Lobo, Burke and now Bilas have touted Gabby's unique skills and strong contibutions based on her domination against all competition, Big and quick, I am in agreement with Carnac that KLS and Gabby will get AA recognition with a decent chance for Napheesa. I am going to be optimistic on this!

I hope you are right but being ever the pessimist, I never expect common sense to necessarily prevail when it comes to this kind of voting

JS

Reaction Score
What is this "Summitt" of which you speak?
Present day? I understand it's some ruins
on the outskirts of VolNation.

little-cottonwood-canyon-ruins-front-and-south-side-wall.jpg

Reaction Score
Big up to Jay for showing love to the UCONN ladies and most importantly singling out Gabby. That shows you how much he watches the games and the knowledge he has about the women's game.

Reaction Score
Jay Bilas understands how amazing The Gabulous One is!! Won't get any argument from me!

Reaction Score

Great memory. Bilas was part of the broadcast crew at the 2000 NC in Philly...the night Geno took the Vols to school. He closed the ESPN broadcast with the quote you remember so well.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Great memory. Bilas was part of the broadcast crew at the 2000 NC in Philly...the night Geno took the Vols to school. He closed the ESPN broadcast with the quote you remember so well.

For those of us that either weren't UConn fans back then, or those of us whose memories are failing us, don't tease us Blueconn, what was the quote? :rolleyes:

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Does anyone have a video of today's statement from Jay?

Zorro

Nuestro Zorro Amigo
Reaction Score
Wow that Summitt looks like it has fallen into disrepair.

Yup. A lot of what used to be its rocky top seem to have taken a plunge. Sic transit gloria mundi.

CBear01

Plan your work and work your plan
Reaction Score

Wow that Summitt looks like it has fallen into disrepair.

Let's not give up hope just yet...they have several fantastic masons coming in with some pretty strong bricks to build it back up.

Oh wait, lest I forget, with head architect HW they can't figure out where any of these bricks go. She states "Gee, I never had this problem putting Legos together it's not that much different, right?"

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom