Jana - In Madrid - FIBA Games | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Jana - In Madrid - FIBA Games

Status
Not open for further replies.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
I saw her last fall in some African developement league game. She looked like an adult playing with children. Both teams were so bad it was impossible to come away with more than Jana being promising.

Reaction Score
I just Googled the FIBA games, and look -- they have a picture of Jana!

Screenshot_20230715_113307_Samsung Internet.png

Reaction Score
Sorry but It's not good basketball. Egypt's player development to me is like watching a good middle school or average JV team.
I've watched several of her HS games and a few FIBA games, and I saw exactly this too. The level of skill of those teams is weak. Jana really stands out over everyone in every aspect of the game. I remember seeing one other player (whose name I'm blanking on) who rivaled her.

Half speed up and down the floor
I agree. She'll have to raise the energy level. I think she had to develop this economical mode just to be able to be on the floor for as much as she was needed, since she effectively did everything for her teams -- not just rebounding and banging in the lane, but also breaking the press, passing from the edge, driving the lane. If she went all out for long, she'd be exhausted before the end of the first half. Liv and Dorka developed better ways to manage their energy once they became full game players, and Jana will have to figure it out too. Stewie and Rebecca are the only bigs I can remember who could run the floor all out for entire games -- and they got tired sometimes, too.

She has a hook shot before her freshman season even begins
Absolutely! I almost cried the first time I watched her do that! Go Jana!!!!!

Reaction Score

I would call that as JANA being able to " Play through CONTACT!" My guess is the triple teaming on JANA and
the physically of the Czech Republic was part of Czech Rep. game plan : " get El Alfy out of the game and we win!'
Go Jana..., you have the HUSKIE Nation behind you. JANA: 29 points, FG 58.8% and FREE THROWS: eight of nine!!

Reaction Score
Great Video. Could it be that JANA learned some of those driving moves in JUNE? I saw some of
the same kind of action of her finishing on passes from Paige. This looks very good for the season!
Bullishhhhhhhhh!!!!!

Reaction Score
Some comments
1. She doesn't mind contact. Kind of got her Nika going.
2. Very good first step and good driving ability.
3. Good form on her outside shot
4. Should do well from the elbow with driving and shooting.
5. Most of her work needed is as others have commented is on the defensive side of the ball. We play a switching man to man with Help side requirements.
6. With our depth all players should be able to go full up and down the court.

Jana will be a very effective 4 and could make AA at that position.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Some comments
5. Most of her work needed is as others have commented is on the defensive side of the ball. We play a switching man to man with Help side requirements.

Looks to be very good FT shooter (8-9 today).

Reaction Score
Some comments

Excellent assessment. I totally agree about #5 — defense needs to be her focus.

I love her ball handling skills and the ferocity she shows once has the ball in her hands. That one score in the highlight clip against the double team in the paint is typical. She doesn’t let people strip the ball easily. Plus the look on her face as she rips the ball away and turns back into the defense to force the ball up through them — priceless.

The first time I saw her handling the ball in HS and breaking the press, I thought she reminded me of Stewie. She’s got the long arms and the strong hands. The guards don’t seem to want to challenge her for the ball in the open court. I suspect she’s a bit physically intimidating to smaller guards.

She could be great if she develops on both ends of the floor. I’d say the coaching staff has a winner here and a lot of potential to work with. The fighting heart is already there.

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
With her and Ice in at the same time, UConn will have TWO players who can mix it up underneath and shoot from range. They can play four-out with 6-4 as one of the outs. They’d be really tough in a horn set, too.

Reaction Score
the full court drives and her first step are what stood out to me. Also her ability to finish with both hands. She's super talented for sure. I agree that her defensive impact was not that great and she got a bit careless on some inbound passes. I think it's cuz she has to do so much for the team. In any event, I look forward to watching her play, the rest of this summer and of course this upcoming season.

Reaction Score
Some comments

Don’t forget those 7 turnovers! Could rival other team members for the lead in that category.

Reaction Score
Good aggressive drives to the basketball. Work required on defensive end and rebounding. Minimize those turnovers. I think with better team mates around her she might not look as bad on defense.

Reaction Score
Some comments

Jabstep - good points - she brings a few skills to the table we haven’t seen from our bigs (6’4” aNd above”), in a while, and that includes a pretty good handle. Her court vision is also good, and on a UCONN team, that’s ideal!
Will stick with what I said back in April after seeing some of her video…”great skill set for her size. Coaches kid, and believe it’ll translate into great things Before she’s done!“, and Geno’s assessment, “My guess is there will be a lot of surprised people when they see her play.”

Reaction Score
She is very talented on offense and actually got a more varied offensive game than most other current UConn's posts. I think that she is told not to go too hard on defense. as Egypt needs her for as many minutes as possible due to her being by far their best player. At UConn she'll play n much shorter sparts and will be expected to go all out on defense as well as offence.

Reaction Score
I am hoping that Jana will live through this experience without having any injuries especially one that will put her out for the rest of the season.
My thoughts entirely. Speaking for myself, I'm looking forward to the season with a lot of anticipation and excitement. This could very well be NC#12. But nagging in the back of my mind is the specter of someone, anyone, on the team coming down with a season ending injury. I'll need a season of no major injuries and only the usual minor nicks and dings to get those thoughts out of my head.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom