Jana - In Madrid - FIBA Games | Page 15 | The Boneyard

Jana - In Madrid - FIBA Games

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Oh man, hope it's not bad:

Looks like Italy's # 7 inadvertently stepped on Jana's Foot. 5:33 of second period.
Egypt would have won with Jana in the Game. IMO Italy 64 Egypt 56.
Ouch!

Reaction Score
Looks like Italy's # 7 inadvertently stepped on Jana's Foot. 5:33 of second period.
Egypt would have won with Jana in the Game. IMO Italy 64 Egypt 56.
Ouch!
Doesn't look like anybody touched her at all ...looks like something popped as Jana pushed off in a new direction.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Jana is now on the sidelines in a wheel chair, calf wrapped and elevated. Comments said achilles but I'm hoping a calf strain. Injury was non-contact. She pushed off her left leg and immediately grabbed for the back of her calf.
Hoping for the lesser injury — calf. Reports of an Achilles injury will be devastating news not only to Jana and her family, but also to her UConn team members, and especially to us Boneyarders.

Reaction Score
I don’t even know what to say, it looked bad. Hoping with everything in me that it’s not as serious as it looked. Some kind of calf injury, and not an Achilles.

Reaction Score
The only thing that gives me hope it’s not an Achilles is her going back to the sidelines in the chair. Normally Achilles you go directly to the hospital from what I’ve seen and usually can be composed enough to be back on the side. But other than that… yea it looked just like an Achilles down to her grabbing her Achilles as she went down. Praying for a better diagnosis for her and the team.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Some on twitter saying she was lifting her leg up and looking at her ankle after the game and that's a sign it's not too serious. Not sure I'm buying that.

Reaction Score
The fact that it was a non contact injury is the part that worries me the most. I had an achilles tendon rupture during a basketball game when I was in my mid 30's. It was a non contact injury that occurred when I pushed off with that foot trying to change direction.
In Jana's favor is that she is not in the demographic that normally tears an achilles tendon.
See study below:
From 2012 to 2016, a significant increase in the incidence of AT ruptures was observed, from 1.8 per 100,000 person-years in 2012 to 2.5 per 100,000 person-years in 2016 (P < .01), for an overall incidence of 2.1 per 100,000 person-years. The majority of AT ruptures occurred in male compared with female patients, with an incidence rate ratio of 3.5 (P < .01). The largest overall incidence of AT ruptures occurred in those aged 20-39 years for male patients (5.6/100,000 person-years) and in those aged 40-59 years for female patients (1.2/100,000 person-years). The largest rise in the incidence of AT ruptures during the study period was observed in patients aged 40-59 years (78% increase). The most common injury mechanism was participation in a sport or recreational activity (81.9% of all injuries), with basketball being the most common overall cause of AT ruptures.

Hoping it's just an ankle in.

Reaction Score
Here I am astride a camel and “leaning on the Great Pyramid of Giza” last October. Unfortunately, my camel did not bump into CD or Jana’s camels while I was there.
795FC1F5-07F4-4680-8CB6-2E56CDE1CE9F.jpeg

Reaction Score
In slo-mo it looks like her foot is flat and she’s pushing off forward. I pray it’s minor but not looking good.

Reaction Score
Doesn't look like anybody touched her at all ...looks like something popped as Jana pushed off in a new direction.
Seems to me it might have been the landing on the play where she was fouled. If you go back and look at that, she comes down hard on pretty much just her left foot in a hard not normal landing. I suspect she just didn't realize anything was wrong until trying to push off after the free throws, but who knows because she missed both of them.

Reaction Score
I’ve watched the game a couple times now and it’s difficult to get a good view of the injury. But Jana appears to be moving “gingerly” long before the moment itself. Even the shot on which she was fouled — which is barely a touch foul — her jump looked awkward. I’m not sure if this is good news or not, but it could mean her ankle had been twinging for awhile prior, and then it got gradually worse until she couldn’t take it any more.

Reaction Score
Hard to tell for sure but it looks as though she is holding the front of her ankle rather than the heel?

sun

Reaction Score
Whether Jana's injury is a serious one or not, this tournament has a very demanding schedule & Jana has been a workhorse for Egypt & it's still very early in the NCAA season.

None of the USA players have averaged over 20 minutes per game, while some other teams have players averaging considerably higher minutes per game.
Even Jana has averaged about 27 MPG & played 35 minutes in one game.
This is partly why we've been discussing the UConn bench playing more minutes, to help lessen the risk of injuries.
At least UConn has a lot of available bench depth this year.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
The fact she was in a wheel chair with her lower leg wrapped (compression?) and leg elevated suggests a calf strain or achilles. Neither is good timewise.

And no I don't think it was Geno's or the UConn trainer's fault.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Hoping for the best for Jana. Her outstanding play at the U19 tournament was a revelation, giving UConn fans hope that she might even crack the starting lineup as a freshman. Now we will all have to keep our fingers crossed.

These young kids play an awful lot of basketball, often year round. Typically, they haven’t fully developed the strength and conditioning necessary for their bodies to handle the stress on muscles & joints. It’s time for coaches at all levels, along with medical professionals to do a “deep dive” on player injuries and develop guidelines to reduce stress related injuries to muscles and joints.

Top young players are playing with their HS, AAU and/or Club and International teams for up to 10 months a year. The other two months a year, they are playing pickup ball. Back in the dark ages, I didn’t focus on a single sport year round until my sophomore year of college. Surely, young players don’t need to play 60, 80 or 100 games a year to reach their potential?

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Hoping for the best for Jana. Her outstanding play at the U19 tournament was a revelation, giving UConn fans hope that she might even crack the starting lineup as a freshman. Now we will all have to see.

These young kids play an awful lot of basketball, often year round. Typically, they haven’t fully developed the strength and conditioning necessary for their bodies to handle the stress put on muscles & joints. It’s time for coaches at all levels, along with medical professionals to do a “deep dive” on player injuries and develop guidelines to reduce stress related injuries to muscles and joints.

Top young players are playing with their HS, AAU and/or Club and International teams for up to 10 months a year. The other two months a year, they are playing pickup ball. Back in the dark ages, I didn’t focus on a single sport year round until my sophomore year of college. Surely, young players don’t need to play 60, 80 or 100 games a year to reach their potential?

Reaction Score
I don’t post on here much but I do read quite a bit every once in a while. After Jana’s injury I did some digging on Instagram and Jana was tagged in a couple of updates on her injury by two Egyptian ahly games pages. One account has 18K followers and the other 25.9k followers. They both posted that Jana had an ankle injury which seems to be a little bit more relieving than an Achilles injury. Karl Anthony Towns had a similar injury where he looked back as if he was kicked and it turned out to be a strain. So hopefully this is a good sign.
039D4320-3BAF-421F-96CF-B183DDCBEAEB.jpeg
9E53C8AF-A8F8-4C27-AFD5-F088FEEE2CB2.jpeg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member