James Bouknight Released | Page 5 | The Boneyard

James Bouknight Released

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
Disagree. We did a lot of winning in the two years he was here compared to the two years before he got here.
So that’s the point. Ok. If the kids are maximizing for themselves before they maximize for the program, I: unlike a few here who see a college sports only as a temporary stop on the way to a happy life, good for you, but there is the outside chance your world view is, um, not shared by all. And some immature poster telling other people what to tell him or not on a chat board is pretty immature. Bouknight likely didn’t maximize for UConn but beside that, he clearly lacked maturity to handle it.

Reaction Score
So that’s the point. Ok. If the kids are maximizing for themselves before they maximize for the program, I: unlike a few here who see a college sports only as a temporary stop on the way to a happy life, good for you, but there is the outside chance your world view is, um, not shared by all. And some immature poster telling other people what to tell him or not on a chat board is pretty immature. Bouknight likely didn’t maximize for UConn but beside that, he clearly lacked maturity to handle it.
And your point?

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
I mean, that’s just not true. Harrell, Hayward, Cody Martin, Rozier, Ish Smith we’re all on that team, a team that won 43 games that year. Plenty of solid vets he could’ve been around and he decided not to. The dumbest thing the Hornets did was firing Borrego, guy could coach. Borrego made Kemba into a 3rd team all NBA player and a got him a max deal. Bouk issues were all on him. Charlotte Hornets stink (and I say this as someone who actually roots for them and knows people on that staff), but you can’t really blame them for what happened to him. I’ll always pull for the guy, but he’s gotta own it.
Yeah not blaming Charlotte for Bouk being Bouk. Just saying there doesn’t seem to be any real mentors there to help have a positive impact on him either.

The team’s culture is horrible and Bouk isn’t the only one who’s had off the court maturity (and probably bigger) issues. We probably won’t get the chance but it would be interesting to see him in a somewhat more professional environment.

Reaction Score
As a fan who watched and followed his career at UConn, the only thing I feel even remotely equipped to speculate on is that it never looked to me like he particularly enjoyed playing basketball. (In fact, I can’t even remember ever seeing the man smile on a basketball court.) Easy for you to call him a knucklehead for not having maximized earnings in the NBA based on his talent, I suppose. And I know it’s hard for many of us regular joes and janes to grasp this, but, some people don’t actually want to be rich or (even less so) famous. There are lots of ways to get stuck in a career that you have no passion for. So how do you know he’s not just searching for something better out of life, and that’s what’s “motivating” his non-motivation as a basketball player? Again, speculating beyond that, for those of us who have no connection to his life, says more about ourselves than it does about him.

Reaction Score
How is 150k pretax not enough income?

Lol sorry, didn't mean to offend anyone.

I know a lot of families have to make do with a lot less. That has to take frugality and sacrifice.

I guess if James is willing to make those sacrifices--and if we assume 0% inflation for the next 50 years while his income stays fixed at 150k--then he can make it work. Ok?

I stand by my main point. A 24-year-old with $2m in the bank is in no way "set for life." It is a great situation to be in--a nice head start on life--but with no other income that money will be gone way to soon.

James will grow up and figure it out. In 10 or 15 years when his prime earnings days are over, I bet we see him back coaching or mentoring somewhere and helping to straighten out some other young knucklehead's life.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Disagree. We did a lot of winning in the two years he was here compared to the two years before he got here.
We obviously did more winning (and, yes, one of those was curtailed by COVID, though even in that case we were looking at a projected 9-11 seed at best), but nobody is hanging a banner for being a #7 seed that lost in the first round.

Inyatkin

Stairway to Seven
Reaction Score
We obviously did more winning (and, yes, one of those was curtailed by COVID, though even in that case we were looking at a projected 9-11 seed at best), but nobody is hanging a banner for being a #7 seed that lost in the first round.
No, we hung a banner for winning our fifth national championship, though.
I sometimes lose track of how many things you're complaining/worried about.

Reaction Score
Shocked it took this long.. Hope he gets another chance.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
You do know there are drugs and alcohol in every city.

I remember a pro saying one could find drugs anywhere adding "And that includes Salt Lake City!"

Reaction Score
No, we hung a banner for winning our fifth national championship, though.
I sometimes lose track of how many things you're complaining/worried about.
What the ____ does that have to do with what James Bouknight accomplished while at UConn?

WeAreUCONN

Why So Serious ¿
Reaction Score
Can someone help me make sense of this “gem” from the Courant?

“Police said Bouknight refused to comply with commands once he was awake, and appeared confused for several minutes. He then ate food and crashed into two police cars, according to the police report. A breathalyzer test reportedly confirmed his blood-alcohol content was above the legal limit.”

So he was found in his car, passed out and apparently intoxicated, and…the police provided food? And then let him (attempt to) drive away?
No, he also had firearms in his car so police did not engage him while he was in his car because of fear he would use the weapons. So they surrounded him and he tried to escape.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
We need to keep putting guys in the NBA to convince the next UConn greats to come here.

If guys like Bouknight stay 4 years instead of going pro, eventually you stop getting Hawkinses, Castles, etc.
I know that’s the logic or at least the thinking logical or not. No doubt the player who goes in the lottery or round one hits the financial jackpot. Is a person like Bouknight for the better, well from a maturity point of view seems not and of course it can’t be known if that would have changed had he stayed another year or less likely two. Every young person handles that differently. Also unknown is what impact he would have had on UConn success. @businesslaw states a fact that he made us better. True, but there was an awful lot of pissing and moaning after he left over early tournament exits not even accounting for people wanting to hang Hurley a year ago January. BTW i have as much fun as anyone watching these talents play. The assumption that it’s good for UConn to get these one or two and done kids is a net plus for winning the way people want or that it will lead to a stream of similar talent and lead to results on the floor we enjoy is pretty much not yet borne out despite the stupid laughing emojis where people would rather quite arrogantly assume their view is the only possible view. Castle came to UConn where the last one and done was when he was a little kid and when Drummond did pretty much nothing to elevate UConn. Beyond that, UConn’s last NC was the result of two senior guards leading the way after a mediocre season. Castle came along with a group of kids some called the Fab 5 where most of them play very minor roles if at all. Next year’s class right now has nobody committed that anyone is talking very early departure even Nowell who gets rave reviews about and we lost even some local recruits to lesser programs That is a recruiting class that follows Hawkins. Sanogo and Jackson leaving early and the addition of Castle who many had anointed preseason as likely one and done. So excuse me if i fail to see the early departure effect on quality of recruits and the potential for winning. I am quite open to discussion ;)

Please no whining next year if Castle and Clingan both leave, a team that could have had Hawkins, Castle and Clingan. We look right now to be heavily dependent on Karaban and the transfer portal for quality experience if those two leave and a really big leap by Johnson and several sophs and the new freshmen. Give me facts that support the idea that early departures do a lot for winning and getting highly coveted recruits. . Emojis at your pleasure.

Reaction Score
No, he also had firearms in his car so police did not engage him while he was in his car because of fear he would use the weapons. So they surrounded him and he tried to escape.
He didn’t know where he was. Total blackout

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom