James Akinjo with 36 points last night | The Boneyard

James Akinjo with 36 points last night

Reaction Score
The ability he has to get in the lane, shield with his body, and finish with the left hand is a great to have at that age. I'm always amazed at how many athletic guards get to college and are handicapped by not having a strong off-hand when taking it to the hoop.

Reaction Score
The ability he has to get in the lane, shield with his body, and finish with the left hand is a great to have at that age. I'm always amazed at how many athletic guards get to college and are handicapped by not having a strong off-hand when taking it to the hoop.

His weak hand is his right. Shoots right-handed, but everything else is left, I am almost positive.

Finishing will not be his strength. Shooting and passing. He is not a great finisher yet--give him time.

Reaction Score
His weak hand is his right. Shoots right-handed, but everything else is left, I am almost positive.

Finishing will not be his strength. Shooting and passing. He is not a great finisher yet--give him time.
Well scrap what I said then. That's bizarre that he shoots with his off-hand.

Reaction Score
I like how well this kid is performing in tournaments and special events. Let's hope he can keep playing his best basketball on the biggest stages next year too.

Reaction Score
Well scrap what I said then. That's bizarre that he shoots with his off-hand.
My kid is the same way. He is right handed but left eye dominate. He is also barely right handed. He is ambidexterous. He finishes way better with his left hand. Has been this way for years. When he was at the modified level, opposing coaches would yell to their players that he is left handed and to force him right which, actually, was his strong hand. He would then proceed to score on them easily with his right. Then they started to double and triple team him full court, which was actually against the rules for modified here. He just used his strength to dribble through it and then pass when the remaining defenders collapsed on him. The other kids loved playing with him because he could drive with either hand and his head up so he got tons of assists. Kids that barely scored in the past became scoring machines.

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
My kid is the same way. He is right handed but left eye dominate. He is also barely right handed. He is ambidexterous. He finishes way better with his left hand. Has been this way for years. When he was at the modified level, opposing coaches would yell to their players that he is left handed and to force him right which, actually, was his strong hand. He would then proceed to score on them easily with his right. Then they started to double and triple team him full court, which was actually against the rules for modified here. He just used his strength to dribble through it and then pass when the remaining defenders collapsed on him. The other kids loved playing with him because he could drive with either hand and his head up so he got tons of assists. Kids that barely scored in the past became scoring machines.

What level did he make it to?

Ben Simmons is naturally right-handed and almost always finishes with his right even though he shoots left-handed. He'd be a lot better than he already is if he could finish with his left, because he ends up contorting his body to allow him to release with his right.

Reaction Score
Don’t think we’ll have 4 assists per game year.

Reaction Score
He finishes with either hand. Thought at first he may be left handed because the first 2 finishes were left handed and effortless. He is right handed. I think we have something good with this kid.

Reaction Score
What level did he make it to?

Ben Simmons is naturally right-handed and almost always finishes with his right even though he shoots left-handed. He'd be a lot better than he already is if he could finish with his left, because he ends up contorting his body to allow him to release with his right.
Most likely, it ends this year. He is a senior in high school and has a few more weeks to recover from his broken collarbone before he can play again.

The problem with being opposite eye dominate is that is screws up your jumpshot mechanics. I didn't know about this until it was too late. And his high school coach is still clueless about it. The best solution, in this situation, is to keep the ball centered on your body and not try to shoot from your strong arm side. The brain wants to bring the ball to the dominate eye side and that creates conflict. Often times, the ball ends up zig zagging across the body during the shot as a result of this conflict. Lonzo Ball actually brings the ball up his weak side in an example that goes even farther than just keeping the ball centered. My son fooled around with that on the driveway one day and it actually worked well for him. But he is stubborn and is still shooting from his strong side. He actually can make it work at times. He can eventually get locked in even with messed up mechanics but he needs to shoot his way into that. He is too unselfish to do that. But, given his current situation and limited time remaining, he may yet just say screw it and make the most of what time remains.

Reaction Score
Most likely, it ends this year. He is a senior in high school and has a few more weeks to recover from his broken collarbone before he can play again.

The problem with being opposite eye dominate is that is screws up your jumpshot mechanics. I didn't know about this until it was too late. And his high school coach is still clueless about it. The best solution, in this situation, is to keep the ball centered on your body and not try to shoot from your strong arm side. The brain wants to bring the ball to the dominate eye side and that creates conflict. Often times, the ball ends up zig zagging across the body during the shot as a result of this conflict. Lonzo Ball actually brings the ball up his weak side in an example that goes even farther than just keeping the ball centered. My son fooled around with that on the driveway one day and it actually worked well for him. But he is stubborn and is still shooting from his strong side. He actually can make it work at times. He can eventually get locked in even with messed up mechanics but he needs to shoot his way into that. He is too unselfish to do that. But, given his current situation and limited time remaining, he may yet just say screw it and make the most of what time remains.

The big problem is likely his genetics. Interesting post, though.

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score

If he’s a baseball player, It’s good if he’s a right handed hitter though.

Reaction Score
For those calling for Ollie's ouster, we would most likely lose this kid too. he seems to have a strong bond with Ollie.

Reaction Score
Virtually every high school player who gets a college scholarship is his team's star. It's nice the kid is scoring. It is relatively meaningless.

Reaction Score
For those calling for Ollie's ouster, we would most likely lose this kid too. he seems to have a strong bond with Ollie.

Any one recruit is not saving the program from ruins especially with the current coaching staff in place. That said I like Akinjo and hope he stays on after the coaching change.

shizzle787

King Shizzle DCCLXXXVII of the Cesspool
Reaction Score
The real question will be if the new coach can keep him from de-committing.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom