James Akinjo Decommits | Page 6 | The Boneyard

James Akinjo Decommits

Reaction Score
I've said it before I wouldn't be surprised to see Gilbert go to juco for a year to rehab and play a low stress year and gain confidence. Then he can go wherever and never have missed a year and have 3 years eligibility after juco

Not sure if Wilson can get a waiver or not

Mike Honcho

I've lost count of titles
Reaction Score
You’d love to keep the kid - he’s a winner.

But we have to move on.

There’s a reason that two of our recruits live as far away from New England as you can get while keeping your feet dry and the other is from Lithuania.

We need someone who can walk into a New England gym and not have the place drop ten degrees.

Last night, #1 ranked Salesian blew a ten point 4th quarter lead to be upset by Folsom, the 8th and lowest seed in the CIF NorCal regionals. James had 30 points, but just 2 in the the 4th and none in OT. I watched him in person last week and while he's good, he would not single-handedly save the program. Best of luck to James. Onwards.

Reaction Score
Last night, #1 ranked Salesian blew a ten point 4th quarter lead to be upset by Folsom, the 8th and lowest seed in the CIF NorCal regionals. James had 30 points, but just 2 in the the 4th and none in OT. I watched him in person last week and while he's good, he would not single-handedly save the program. Best of luck to James. Onwards.

Wow can't believe they lost in the first round of the NorCal's. Was thinking of going but didn't.

Reaction Score
He's a local-ish guy who's turned around two programs in the past decade, raising both to new heights. He recruits the local area pretty well, his teams defend like hell, his players don't transfer, and he has a ton of UConn ties (Moore, Blaney, having Calhoun out to Kingston to talk to the team before each of the past two seasons). He's also been a head coach for almost 2 decades, and almost one decade at the college level despite his relative youth.

Remove his first, rebuilding year at Wagner and his first, rebuilding year at URI and his winning % is 66%, which is elite.

Would I take him over, say, Chris Mack? Probably not. But he's easily the best fit & resume of coaches who are potentially available.

Makes sense.

But if we can remove rebuilding years from resumes.......

As long as it isn't Creen

Matrim55

Why is it so hard To make it in America
Reaction Score
Makes sense.

But if we can remove rebuilding years from resumes..
I don't think that's un-representative. Your first year, you're really coaching somebody else's team.

That said, I'd expect Hurley (or whoever) to approach/top 20 wins as long as our top 6 guys return.

Amen amen amen.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Amen amen amen.

There are people here who really want Crean. Drives me batsh_t. He might be the one guy that could make me stop watching UCONN hoop.

Every time someone mentions him, I'm going to spam with pics:

gl7vxY6.jpg

Reaction Score
Agreed
Only an idiot would think so or think the loss is worth it
But I never thought if KO was to walk away the kid would have come to UConn - the family loved KO and the kid idolized him
For those who think it's not a big loss - just follow this kid - he can totally ball and is tough as nails

Whatever dude, Steph Curry wouldn't have been worth keeping KO. Let it go.

Reaction Score
The kid mentioned in one interview others were still recruiting so he will have many options as we know, maybe our new guy can retain him but more than likely not. Like his game it’s too bad but had to go this way.

I really hope Matthews likes UConn for more than KO though.

Edward Sargent

Sargelak
Reaction Score
You’d love to keep the kid - he’s a winner.

But we have to move on.

There’s a reason that two of our recruits live as far away from New England as you can get while keeping your feet dry and the other is from Lithuania.

We need someone who can walk into a New England gym and not have the place drop ten degrees.
I don't know Fish. Maybe we need some kids willing to get on a plane and light up a gym in Wichita Kansas

swami7774

I know things.
Reaction Score
Do you want the omelet or not?

Nobody is saying this is good in a vacuum. It's something we have to live with in order to achieve our goal of not being disgustingly bad.

Also, I hope/assume Gilbert is coming back. If he'll be healthy, he'll be great.
Three shoulder surgeries later? Doubt it.

WestHartHusk

$3M a Year With March Off
Reaction Score
My call on the possible staff if Calhoun happens. Tom Moore, Howie Dickerman, Blaney's kid, and Donyell Marshall as his latest coach in training as his future replacement. BTW, momentum is picking up.
An alumnus hand-picked by Calhoun with little head coaching experience...what could go wrong?

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score
You're welcome, Akinjo family. Best wishes to James. His highlights were always a joy to watch.

I hope he goes to Virginia.

They are the type of place who seems to do it right.

Reaction Score
If it were Danny Hurley could he reel Akinjo back in? He was a pretty good point guard.

Reaction Score
Im not too worried because in todays cbb youre one recruiting class away from a final four. Although if the one and done changes and i assume it is pretty much certain its still possible to get really good really quick. Heck two years from now we could be looking back on all this misery like a distant memory while we`re waiting for sunday to see if we`ll be a 1 seed.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
My call on the possible staff if Calhoun happens. Tom Moore, Howie Dickerman, Blaney's kid, and Donyell Marshall as his latest coach in training as his future replacement. BTW, momentum is picking up.
Should have saved this post for 'Throw back Thursday." That said, we could do worse. A lot worse actually.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
You're welcome, Akinjo family. Best wishes to James. His highlights were always a joy to watch.

And let me add that a great many of us will welcome the Akinjo family back with open arms if they choose to come back to play for the new coach, at the best university in the world...

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom