OT: - Jalen Green spurning Memphis, heading to G-League | Page 7 | The Boneyard

OT: Jalen Green spurning Memphis, heading to G-League

Reaction Score
The article basically states what you have been trying to crush people for suggesting
Me? I don't remember posting anything about Zion Williamson previously in this thread.

Reaction Score
The article basically states what you have been trying to crush people for suggesting
You had said Zion and Lebron didn’t need college to get huge contracts/be household names. My point was those guys are the exception not the rule when it comes to most top 5 high school seniors
Exactly.

I've said at least 2 if not 3/4 times he picked the wrong guy to make his point.

Where did I say the G League is better for all of the top 5-10 HS guys all of the time?

Zion would have gotten a very similar contract no matter where he went to school. Guys can't do what he can do.
No, that's not what I was saying.

I never said anyone was better off going to the G League.

I said (and you agreed) he picked the exception, not the rule.

1) Zion could have went to any of the blue bloods, and it would have helped. It didn't need to be Duke.
2) Going to Duke didn't get him a Lebron type sneaker deal. His freakish athleticism did that.

RJ Barrett isn't making what he's making from sneakers for a reason, and it isn't because RJ won't be a great player.

Reaction Score
My mistake it was @WingU-Conn who disagreed with everything woj said
Sure he benefited from Duke. No more than he would have benefited from UNC, Kentucky, Kansas, etc, etc.

His leverage
doesn't come from Duke, or the $500k rookie contract, it comes from his 6'6ish, 280ish pound body that comes with his 40+inch vert.
Did going to college "hurt" him? I don't believe so.

Did it "help" him? Probably. But it's impossible to quantify that.

Did he "need" it for leverage in negotiations with sneaker companies? Absolutely not.
Zion, like Lebron, is an outlier.

For most of the top talent, college is probably a wiser decision. For someone like Zion, he doesn't "need" Duke's leverage

Reaction Score
Going to play in college for a year at duke made him a lot of money, that is the point you refuted

Reaction Score
Going to play in college for a year at duke made him a lot of money, that is the point you refuted
It's not, but you're not going to get it, and i'm okay with that.

Reaction Score
Duke is the example cause it’s where he went. Any elite prospect going to a blue blood program has benefits from an exposure standpoint until the GLeague is able to show an ability to market them and get them in front of the casual fan. If you disagree with that and want to die on that hill you’re more than welcome to. People are wrong all the time

Reaction Score
Duke is the example cause it’s where he went. Any elite prospect going to a blue blood program has benefits from an exposure standpoint until the GLeague is able to show an ability to market them and get them in front of the casual fan. If you disagree with that and want to die on that hill you’re more than welcome to. People are wrong all the time
Not the argument I made.

Reaction Score
Not gonna quote your retort to everything I said going back 7 pages. Or your selective quoting.
Enjoy your weekend

Reaction Score
Post #159— “your selective quoting”

when everyone took your point one way, and now you say everyone took it wrong. You should look within
I'm not saying you took it wrong today.

You took it wrong the entire time.

I didn't change my posts, they stayed consistent.

You're calling it selective quoting. It's not. It's specifically addressing the point I disagree with. I never said the G League was a better option for every kid (or even top kids). Yet that's what you all keep telling me I'm saying.

Even when I specifically stated otherwise, then offered you the quote again, you still don't get it, and we're both okay with that. Enjoy your weekend.

Reaction Score
I'm not saying you took it wrong today.

You took it wrong the entire time.

I didn't change my posts, they stayed consistent.

You don't get it, and we're both okay with that. Enjoy your weekend.
Everyone did. So I’m in good company.

Reaction Score
I think you just overstated your point and being unwilling to compromise your point without getting all pompous was the problem.

Reaction Score
I think you just overstated your point and being unwilling to compromise your point without getting all pompous was the problem.
In just about every response to me you've gotten something I said wrong.

At least you're consistent.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
This trend should be good for everyone involved, except maybe the blue blood schools.

NBA:

Pros: Gets better assessment of the top kids by seeing them against grown men in the G League. You know some 24 year old that has been grinding in Turkey or Russia for the last 3 years is going to want to show up the highly rated kid. These kids are going to learn what the real world is like, and right quick.

The NBA teams won't have to take as many flyers on freshmen that averaged 12 and 8 just because they are great athletes.

I think that you will see an overall higher quality of play in the NBA because you will have fewer busts.

Cons: The young players will not get nearly as well promoted in the G-League as they would be in college. That is just a fact.

Players:

Pros: Get paid above board for their skills.

Cons: Maybe coaching. The G League coaches may not be focused as much on development as a college coach would be, because the G League coaches are trying to get into the League too and they don't have the leeway to give a ton of minutes to some kid who can't play yet.

Some of these high school stars need a little more time to develop. If they are not ready when they get to the G League, they will be written off pretty quickly.

They will miss the college experience, which is undoubtedly a loss.

Colleges:

Pros: No longer have to deal with the one-and-done insanity. Also, for the second tier McD AA's, not getting invited to the G League will be a reality check for them which should be both motivating and get them to ignore those whispering in their ears to jump early.

The players that go through college will need to be more polished when they leave. Hopefully this will keep the ones that end up in college around for an extra year or two. I hate to see a player do what Tyshon Alexander did.

Cons: Blue Bloods won't have the superstars. Should balance things out a little.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
This trend should be good for everyone involved, except maybe the blue blood schools.

NBA:

Pros: Gets better assessment of the top kids by seeing them against grown men in the G League. You know some 24 year old that has been grinding in Turkey or Russia for the last 3 years is going to want to show up the highly rated kid. These kids are going to learn what the real world is like, and right quick.

The NBA teams won't have to take as many flyers on freshmen that averaged 12 and 8 just because they are great athletes.

I think that you will see an overall higher quality of play in the NBA because you will have fewer busts.

Cons: The young players will not get nearly as well promoted in the G-League as they would be in college. That is just a fact.

Players:

Pros: Get paid above board for their skills.

Cons: Maybe coaching. The G League coaches may not be focused as much on development as a college coach would be, because the G League coaches are trying to get into the League too and they don't have the leeway to give a ton of minutes to some kind who can't play yet.

Some of these high school stars need a little more time to develop. If they are not ready when they get to the G League, they will be written off pretty quickly.

They will miss the college experience, which is undoubtedly a loss.

Colleges:

Pros: No longer have to deal with the one-and-done insanity. Also, for the second tier McD AA's, not getting invited to the G League will be a reality check for them which should be both motivating and get them to ignore those whispering in their ears to jump early.

The players that go through college will need to be more polished when they leave. Hopefully this will keep the ones that end up in college around for an extra year or two. I hate to see a player do what Tyshon Alexander did.

Cons: Blue Bloods won't have the superstars. Should balance things out a little.
You forgot one:

Pros:

Listening to Penny whine about losing recruits to the highest bidder.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
You forgot one:

Pros:

Listening to Penny whine about losing recruits to the highest bidder.

Calipari has been openly paying players for 30 years. Bruce Pearl is the biggest scumbag in college basketball, when he isn't ruining other coaches' careers by narcing them out to the NCAA. Coach K pays players and he is practically sainted. Sean Miller is on a wiretap negotiating to pay players, as are the coaches at like a dozen other schools.

I am sorry, what did Penny do again?

Reaction Score
Calipari has been openly paying players for 30 years. Bruce Pearl is the biggest scumbag in college basketball, when he isn't ruining other coaches' careers by narcing them out to the NCAA. Coach K pays players and he is practically sainted. Sean Miller is on a wiretap negotiating to pay players, as are the coaches at like a dozen other schools.

I am sorry, what did Penny do again?
Penny Hardaway on the G-League

Reaction Score
In just about every response to me you've gotten something I said wrong.

At least you're consistent.
Here goes pompous man again, instead of a Conversation you do the lil arrogant thing

Reaction Score
Here goes pompous man again, instead of a Conversation you do the lil arrogant thing
Oh I'm sorry, I didn't realize you were still attempting to have a conversation when you started insulting me.

What would you like to discuss?

Or do you just want to throw stones from your glass house?

Reaction Score
Oh I'm sorry, I didn't realize you were still attempting to have a conversation when you started insulting me.

What would you like to discuss?

Or do you just want to throw stones from your glass house?
All I ever tried to do was go back and forth, then u starting throwing memes up instead of a conversation.

Reaction Score
All I ever tried to do was go back and forth, then u starting throwing memes up instead of a conversation.
Well in my first response to you I agreed with you. I think Lebron and Zion are the outliers.

It wasn't a meme. It was an Instagram post. Because another poster brought up Instagram popularity.

And you weren't tagged in that post, so I don't know why you took it personal. It wasn't directed at anyone in particular, just evidence of his popularity.

Reaction Score
Well in my first response to you I agreed with you. I think Lebron and Zion are the outliers.

It wasn't a meme. It was an Instagram post. Because another poster brought up Instagram popularity.

And you weren't tagged in that post, so I don't know why you took it personal. It wasn't directed at anyone in particular, just evidence of his popularity.
The jim Carey thing was a meme. I don’t mind disagreement, I just like to exchange ideas, with you it seems like it’s only a one way exchange

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbie32

Top Bottom