Jalen Gaffney to UConn | Page 9 | The Boneyard

Jalen Gaffney to UConn

Reaction Score
As we all know, back in the Big East days, UConn had some deep, historic rivalries with programs that were close to our equals (Cuse, Georgetown etc).

However, a really underrated aspect of UConn fandom at that time was eating St. John’s lunch.

Nothing is as cute as a St. John’s fan’s hope and optimism for the future and today reminded me of just how enjoyable crushing their hopes and dreams is.
Wait until we get Precious! We should schedule them. Beat the crap out of them at the garden with Gaffney, Sid, and Precious. That would be some fun! I might even hop a plane back to NYC for that one!

Reaction Score
I went over to the St Johns/Cuse/Providence message boards today. Along with knocking UCONN (the whole "why would recruits want to play in the AAC without Calhoun"), they also basically admitted that UCONN remains a threat and isn't going anywhere.

Good day!

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
I'm not sure why he isn't on everyone's ignore list. He doesn't offer anything
He offers confirmation of Ralph Waldo Emerson's, "A foolish consistency is the hobgobblin of little minds," additionally proving out the plural by garnering a Like from Jibsey.

And I say the above while noting that the majority of the handful I still ignore seem in this off season to be UConn fans happy with how things are developing.

Take note, as well, of some posters who have completely disappeared recently. I wonder if or when they'll return. I do not miss them.

RayIsTheGOAT

Sticks, to the rafters
Reaction Score
We'd need to hit on all five for this to be true. I take your general point, but let's not overstate the class yet. Frankly, it almost certainly needs Achiuwa on it for it to be even close.

We had a class of Drummond-Daniels-Boat in Calhoun's last year. 247 has Drummond ranked oddly low (I remember him being consensus Top 5), but if my memory is right, they had two players (Daniels and Drummond) who are ranked higher than anyone we're after except Achiuwa (who would be equivalent to Boat), in addition to Boatright, who is ranked higher than either of our guards.

I think this class has potentially to be very good. But UConn has had very good recruiting classes before.
Agreed. That's why I said potentially, given the indications that we have a great shot at some combination of Akok-Achiuwa-Kofi. The potential is there for this to be the greatest and most important recruiting class we've ever had. Obviously if we don't get those three, that likely won't be the case.

RayIsTheGOAT

Sticks, to the rafters
Reaction Score
St. John’s misses out on Jalen Gaffney
This article is hilarious to me
Especially the part about the fact St. John's were after Gaffney for "years". And that Sid Wilson transferred from there to us after a week. And that Chris Mullin sucks. And that St. John's has sucked for the better part of my life.

But in all seriousness, the idea NE schools might be becoming afraid of Hurley is awesome. What a turnaround in the last 5 months for this program.

StepbackCity

I like winning
Reaction Score
Corey Evans of Rivals posted this on TOS.

Very, very good start for the Huskies this fall. Look for them to place a greater priority on their frontcourt in the months ahead, that being Achiuwa, Akok, Wahab and Cockburn.

Best part about the two guard commitments is that each can play on and off of the ball and, more specifically, each can really shoot the basketball.

The last part is music to my ears.
Just like boat n’ bazz baby

C

Chief00

Wait, you mean this is just a vague statement that could have been gleaned by 2-3 posts written before he jumped in? No way! Not our Chief!
The nuances escape you. Like I am going to name a guy to help the shark schools while Hurley is working on arranging a close visit.

Reaction Score
Congrats to UConn mens basketball, the staff and to the fans
These are 2 good commits
Not to downplay the commits but going into the fall signing season these were the two that offered the least competition from the national schools and were leans to UConn for at least the past 6 months
Now it's time to see if this so called dam is going to burst - UConn needs some 2019 big commits - 4s and 5s - if Coach Hurley gets some of these ranked in the top 100 - I don't care if it is September or December or March - it will be a recruiting effort and class well worth spouting about.
I am very excited to see what comes down the recruiting road
”The national schools”?? What the hell is that supposed to mean?

C

Chief00

I went over to the St Johns/Cuse/Providence message boards today. Along with knocking UCONN (the whole "why would recruits want to play in the AAC without Calhoun"), they also basically admitted that UCONN remains a threat and isn't going anywhere.

Good day!

When Penny, Houston and Mick get it going along with Coach Hurley - as with football it’s going to be very good. Vision.

Reaction Score

Good day!
The Providence board is so funny. "This isn't elite UConn anymore." We did win a title 4 years ago. They have won 1 tournament game in the last 21 years. One.

The narrative of the American is going away with recruits. Hurley is selling player development, exposure, and getting these guys to the league. This is what programs like Gonzaga do.

If Memphis gets multiple 5 stars (which it looks like they will) that also helps the league, and the perception of it.

Reaction Score
Interesting take considering ESPN opened its related story with the following sentence:

Four-star point guard Jalen Gaffney made a verbal commitment to UConn on Monday after his official visit over the weekend.
Not that interesting. Rivals has him as a 3 star and not in their top 150. If ESPN has him as a 4 star then he is probably borderline on rivals. Where is he on the other sites?

Reaction Score
Not that interesting. Rivals has him as a 3 star and not in their top 150. If ESPN has him as a 4 star then he is probably borderline on rivals. Where is he on the other sites?

He's a 4 star on 247. The only one who doesn't have him as a 4 star is rivals.

Reaction Score
tenor.gif

To all the haters and losers, of which there are many, we are BACK

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
The Providence board is so funny. "This isn't elite UConn anymore." We did win a title 4 years ago. They have won 1 tournament game in the last 21 years. One.

The narrative of the American is going away with recruits. Hurley is selling player development, exposure, and getting these guys to the league. This is what programs like Gonzaga do.

If Memphis gets multiple 5 stars (which it looks like they will) that also helps the league, and the perception of it.
The AAC has a bad reputation and it deserves it. Memphis and UConn are the primary reason. They have been abysmal. If these two programs turn things around and the current teams doing well maintain their degree of success, the negative reputation ends.

ON A MORE IMPORTANT NOTE: I don't give a damn about the dam. As good as it's for the mojo, I'm uncomfortable feeding inflated egos. You sir (or ma'am) are my number one poster. You've been the most accurate with recruiting and have not spent threads patting yourself on the back. So I'm going do it for you. Well done!!!!!!!!! You are dynamite as in the DYNAMITE that blew up the damn dam.

formerlurker

www.stjude.org
Reaction Score
We land a recruit and some of you are in here comparing johnson sizes.

536.jpg
"We land a recruit and some of you are in here comparing johnson sizes"- Dwight Schrute

Edit- Not making fun of UCDave's original post. I just got home from a charity golf outing and drunkenly was reading the good news. When I got to Dave's post, I saw his avatar pic first and completely read it with Dwight Schrute's voice in my head. Haha.

Last edited:

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score

It's weird to be rooting for them, but I am in this. I want them (and us) to be a monster.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom