Jalen Carey Update | The Boneyard

Jalen Carey Update

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Welp, this doesn't look too great. Looks like he thinks he is a pure PG. Family may feel slighted by signing of Akinjo... who knows. Too bad Syracuse doesn't have the problem of having too many good guards to compete with. Carey and Howard Washington should be a dynamic duo.

And Carey favorited this one. Tweet was referencing an announcement of the Akinjo commitment.

Last edited:

NowInStorrs

The truth is out there.
Reaction Score
In sort of related news, Cuse picked up a guard for 2019 in Brycen Goodine. Think this has any effect on Cuse guard recruiting, and by implication UConn guard recruiting?

Reaction Score
In sort of related news, Cuse picked up a guard for 2019 in Brycen Goodine. Think this has any effect on Cuse guard recruiting, and by implication UConn guard recruiting?
Carey is worlds better than any guard currently at or committed to Syracuse (well I guess besides Battle if you'll count him as a guard); whereas he'd actually have to compete with talented guards here and Miami for PT. Think this is simple really.

Reaction Score
Probably not. He's ranked very high 100's and is another SG. They really have only 1 pure PG on their roster in Washington (yikes) other than grad transfers which they seem to be subsiding off over the past couple years. Everyone else is of the SG/SF breed.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
I think we lost the min Cuse told him he'd be their PG from the get go. Us and Miami both told him what everyone knows about his game, he's a scoring guard, not a pure PG. He'll be a great college player if he embraces that role in college, but this could burn Cuse if they try really hard to make him something he's not(Frank Howard).

Reaction Score
[QUOTE="AntG168, post: 2330551, member: 6716"[/QUOTE]
Carey has been pitched the idea that he will be to the NBA in two years. Take that for what it may be, but playing behind two very good pure point guards and another very solid combo guard, and likely a SG coming in, is not his fastest path to the league if he wants to be a Point Guard rather than a combo. Going into a barren backcourt where he can have the keys of the offense from day one is the better option for him. This doesn't make him "not a UConn player", or the staff wouldn't have recruited him. It's just that the staff wanted him as a combo guard, which is realistic given his skill set and ineffectiveness as a passer, and they obviously are not seeing eye to eye. The miss that hurts most though now was David Beatty, who was a guy who clearly wanted to be here and play combo with great athleticism and good size. As for Carey, better to part ways if this is the case, if he thinks he's a pure point then so be it

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction Score
I think we lost the min Cuse told him he'd be their PG from the get go. Us and Miami both told him what everyone knows about his game, he's a scoring guard, not a pure PG. He'll be a great college player if he embraces that role in college, but this could burn Cuse if they try really hard to make him something he's not(Frank Howard).

Boeheim is a weasel and is just telling Carey and his father what they want to hear. I don't want to go on a tangent here but if you check Carey's father's Instagram page then you could see how easily he would buy that bs. The guy's like a teenager taking pictures of himself with sunglasses on in restaurant bathrooms. We might dodge a bullet in that regard. The reality is Battle will follow in other Cuse players' footsteps and leave early for the draft (and not pan out). Carey will step into the open 2 guard spot.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Carey has been pitched the idea that he will be to the NBA in two years. Take that for what it may be, but playing behind two very good pure point guards and another very solid combo guard is not his fastest path to the league if he wants to be a Point Guard rather than a combo. Going into a barren backcourt where he can have the keys of the offense from day one is the better option for him. This doesn't make him "not a UConn player", or the staff wouldn't have recruited him. It's just that the staff wanted him as a combo guard, which is realistic given his skill set and ineffectiveness as a passer, and they obviously are not seeing eye to eye. The miss that hurts most though now was David Beatty, who was a guy who clearly wanted to be here and play combo with great athleticism and good size. As for Carey, better to part ways if this is the case, doesn't mean he is lazy or didn't want to work hard.
I didn't say he wasnt a UConn player. What does that even mean? But if the reason why he isnt coming here is because he wants to be the only good guard on the team, then yes he is clearly choosing the path of least resistance(work\competition) . It wasnt as much a knock on Carey as it was me big upping Akinjo who wants to be here and who bleeds blue. For the record I'm 100% ok with that outcome, because the moment Carey didn't get or earn the minutes or spotlight he wanted he was going to bolt. But thats "moronic". What do I know?

Reaction Score
I didn't say he wasnt a UConn player. What does that even mean? But if the reason why he isnt coming here is because he wants to be the only good guard on the team, then yes he is clearly choosing the path of least resistance(work\competition) . It wasnt as much a knock on Carey as it was me big upping Akinjo who wants to be here and who bleeds blue. For the record I'm 100% ok with that outcome, because the moment Carey didn't get or earn the minutes or spotlight he wanted he was going to bolt. But thats "moronic". What do I know?
Totally agree on Akinjo. Guess what I was getting at is the fact that after the fact many people try to quantify misses by saying players were lazy or "not UConn players," just was getting at the fact that Carey very may well have wanted to come here and work, just wanted to do so as a Point Guard rather than a Combo, which would have been a logjam with three guys who play the point or at least think they are pure points.

Reaction Score
Totally agree on Akinjo. Guess what I was getting at is the fact that after the fact many people try to quantify misses by saying players were lazy or "not UConn players," just was getting at the fact that Carey very may well have wanted to come here and work, just wanted to do so as a Point Guard rather than a Combo, which would have been a logjam with three guys who play the point or at least think they are pure points.
But thats assuming the staff ever sold him on being a point. The change of heart seemed to come after Akinjo commitment which is dumb because he was never starting point over alterique anyway!! Who for the record will be here for 3-4 more yrs. He was always going to play more off the ball than on it, so why even consider us?

Reaction Score
But thats assuming the staff ever sold him on being a point. The change of heart seemed to come after Akinjo commitment which is dumb because he was never starting point over alterique anyway!! Who for the record will be here for 3-4 more yrs. He was always going to play more off the ball than on it, so why even consider us?
That is true, guess the relation to the Akinjo announcement is pretty strange. Family must just be angry that UConn made him seem to be a priority at guard then recruited another guard who knows. Not like we were going to sit around and let a very talented player who wanted to come here pass by.

Reaction Score
Welp, this doesn't look too great. Looks like he thinks he is a pure PG. Family may feel slighted by signing of Akinjo... who knows. Too bad Syracuse doesn't have the problem of having too many good guards to compete with. Carey and Howard Washington should be a dynamic duo.

And Carey favorited this one. Tweet was referencing an announcement of the Akinjo commitment.

Not good. Asking around

Reaction Score
That is true, guess the relation to the Akinjo announcement is pretty strange. Family must just be angry that UConn made him seem to be a priority at guard then recruited another guard who knows. Not like we were going to sit around and let a very talented player who wanted to come here pass by.

I'm pretty sure the opportunity was given to have them pledge to the Huskies prior to Akinjo and they didn't take it. Oh well these things happen there's more out there.

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
Would've been nice and now their fanbase will take some shots at us but it is what it is. We've known this for while. I just don't see the appeal of playing for a coach on his way out, a coach that doesn't develop players and don't do well in the NBA, and a zone that hides your flaws and doesn't translate to the NBA. Yes, I know Ollie doesn't have many in the NBA but imo that was due to the sanctions/ban/etc. Ollie also doesn't have 30 years experience to level it out. I think our team has more talent next year even with larrier and possibly jalen gone. If Jalen does leave Carey and Gilbert would be the starting backcourt. We have Sid and Akinjo forming a great base for next year. Ollie and crew need to seal the deal and bring a few more tuna and we'll be solid for next year

Reaction Score
The cream rises to the top. I think he is a great talent but without the right level of confidence bit only takes you so far. Being afraid of competition on a college team doesn't show me alot of confidence in his own abilities. What happens if he gets a chance with an nba team he will be competing with alot more talent. Good luck to the kid. I could see him having a change of heart after a year asy cuse.

Reaction Score
Remember when we waited forever on Hami & passed on others. We neeeded 1 of our 3 guard targets. Couldn't go 0-3.
Yup, and not many teams go far with a SG running point for them all year either. Carey is a great talent, but he is going to end up a 2 guard wherever he goes. It's a shame it won't be UConn.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
If you're good enough, you'll play minutes anywhere. If you're good enough and show you can run a team you will play minutes at point guard. If you're the best on a team at running the point it will be your team. I'm not sure why that is difficult to understand. It isn't going to be given to you.

Reaction Score
If he really wants to be in the NBA after 2 years, the only way he has a shot is to be the starting PG immediately when he steps foot on campus. That won't happen here with Alterique.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom