Jalen at critical times of the games | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Jalen at critical times of the games

Reaction Score
So telling it like it is means we hate Jalen? What kind of solid college guard can’t shoot well from either mid range or 3? He’s not agreat creator either. Granted if he had good players around him he’d be better.

Reaction Score
Jalen Adams believed in Ollie 100% at the same time as our fanbase did. I’m sure he’s just as let down at the past few years as everyone else here. Nobody hates that kid.
There are a few posts in this thread that are borderline 'hater'. I think his biggest issue is that he's not Shabazz and everyone thought he would be the next tough Massachusetts guard. Bazz had Boat, Daniels, Giffey who could all score. We would kill right now for Kromah, Brimah, Olander and Nolan etc and it pains me to type that. Compare that rotation to what Jalen is surrounded by? No doubt he needs to improve but he is our best player...and leading rebounder today to boot..

Reaction Score
In my opinion Jalen has been a real disappointment this season. I figured after last season he was going to take a big jump this year. He actually is playing worse now. I don't think he's being used properly and he's falling into some bad habits because of it and it just snowballs. He's too talented to be doing this.

Reaction Score
He is our best player. But he needs to make open shots period. We could have been up early if he was 4/7 instead of 2/7.

Reaction Score
Jalen seems to always force a bad shot at critical times. Why not just iso Larrier and if not there or doubled, kick it out for an open shooter. Jalen is such a momentum killer.
Who knows what the heck coach is telling him, telling the team or even doing at all. Our big men just do not develop inder this system. Our shootimg has been horrible over last 5 years. We can't shoot rebound or pass. We just do not win big games. Maybe 2-3 big AAC games

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Jalen seems to always force a bad shot at critical times. Why not just iso Larrier and if not there or doubled, kick it out for an open shooter. Jalen is such a momentum killer.

All Jalen has to do is play every single minute and direct every single possession. He may be the only person associated with the UConn basketball program who is actually not awful at what he does.

He has no help. Zero. There isn’t one player on the court that he can rely on to do anything. Everyone on the court knows what UConn is going to do and he still has to go out and somehow run through five defenders a few dozen times a game.

If you want to see what he’s worth, wait until he sprains an ankle or something...it’ll make the Arkansas game look like the good old days. Let someone else run Captain Catastrophe’s offense of doom and see how that goes.

Reaction Score
All Jalen has to do is play every single minute and direct every single possession. He may be the only person associated with the UConn basketball program who is actually not awful at what he does.

He has no help. Zero. There isn’t one player on the court that he can rely on to do anything. Everyone on the court knows what UConn is going to do and he still has to go out and somehow run through five defenders a few dozen times a game.

If you want to see what he’s worth, wait until he sprains an ankle or something...it’ll make the Arkansas game look like the good old days. Let someone else run Captain Catastrophe’s offense of doom and see how that goes.
amen amen amen

Reaction Score
Jalen is a great college talent. Unfortunately he is allowed to keep his bad habits. He has a green light to do practically anything he wants, including taking the escalator. He can not continue to play full games during the conference play, he'll be burned out before February.

All college kids need coaching and stars need a little more attention. I don't know what the hell is going on, but Jalen does not have the maturity to be unrestrained. He has not improved that much but that is not all on him.

I think Bazz should reach out to him as soon as he can, he is doing some funky stuff, which is not helping his future (college or pro). He has AA potential and great basketball skills. He's good clay ready for molding.

He could be the saddest story ever at UConn when all is said and done.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Where do you people get this idea from? I honestly want to know.

At the beginning of the then-"D-League" and as far as I know still today, teams played at a frenetic pace. More points were scored (7 more per game, but on 6 additional possessions per game than in the NBA), so it was assumed that the defense was bad. The faster pace leads to more disorganization on defense, so sometimes yes the D is worse. The Kings affiliate ran the Grinnell system, for goodness sake.

Reaction Score
Jalen was 7-20, 0-3 from 3, 4 steals, 5 rebounds and 6 assists, 18 points. It’s actually not a bad looking line.

35% effective field goal percentage is pretty bad, the rest is decent.

BUConn10

Artist formerly known as BUHusky10
Reaction Score
Let's get real. Jalen has an awful shot. He was 3-10 today. He can't make the 12 foot jumper consistently. He can't make the three consistently. If it wasn't for his ability to get to the rim, he wouldn't start.
I remember this offseason people here were saying their goodbyes to NBA bound Jalen after he takes PoTY honors in some alternate dimension. My one criticism of his game is that he can't shoot, like really shoot the ball, especially if he wants to play pro. Instead I got the usual hogwash stats from JA in some random cherry picked interval that made him look better than Steph Curry statistically. Basically every convo we have about our player's glaring deficiencies here.

Reaction Score

Very likely accurate, but the situation doesn't allow him to hone his skills or develop good habits. KO enables this with a one dimensional offensive scheme.

Reaction Score
I'm not understanding the Jalen capes. He's been a big disappointment this season. Kid was a five star out of high school who is now 22 years old and making the same mistakes he's made his entire career. Say what you want about Ollie - the other lead guards that he's coached here have turned out alright.

We all know he doesn't have much around him. But if you're telling me he looks like one of the best players in the country right now, you're nuts. Several times today he barreled into traffic and had his shot blocked by the help defender instead of dishing. That's day one stuff. His jump shot actually seems to have regressed from last season. I'm not going to say his conditioning is bad because he plays an unreasonable amount of minutes, but I certainly don't get the feeling that he's in as good a shape as he could be. This isn't Ray Allen or Kemba. He's a good college guard who doesn't seem to have much of a penchant for leading and isn't ever going to be as good as he could have been. He should be the best player on the floor in every game we play and I never get that sense. Other great players, you know they're great even when they're being coached by lame duck coaches. Our offense is bad because of Jalen as much as it is bad despite him. He's asked to do a lot, yes, but he doesn't actually do it. The fact that he can't get iso buckets consistently because his jumper his broken holds back our offense big time.

Reaction Score
I can't get mad at Jalen, he is literally the only chance we have to win a game. Larrier is fine if he can catch and shoot otherwise it's up to Jalen to drag us to victory. We have 2 players on this roster that have reliable skills on offense..what a disaster.
I don’t believe that. We all saw that 5-assist 13-3 run or something early in the game. After that one stretch, we had four for the rest of the game; to hit our dead-last season average.

Reaction Score
Jalen was 7-20, 0-3 from 3, 4 steals, 5 rebounds and 6 assists, 18 points. It’s actually not a bad looking line.

You think 7/20 is good? There's a lot of guards in this world who can score 18 on 20 attempts. Thats not good basketball.

To hi credit: the rebounds, assists and steals are pretty good. And the team kept it close until the last 5 min, similar to arizona. Ultimately we just ran out of creativity and firepower

Reaction Score
Jalen can make some unbelievable circus shot drives but because he can't make the open 3 which are there as well as the pullup 15 footer on a regular basis, we are not going to beat good teams this year. Watching WS knock down open 3's from multiple players is just demoralizing.

Reaction Score
Jalen has been taught, over the past 2.5 seasons, that the only way to win is for whoever the best player is to take over and go 1-v-4 down the stretch. Remember that we lose to Stony Brook earlier this year if he doesn't do exactly that:

Jalen Adams & game-deciding 14-0 run...

And then a few weeks later, we lose to Monmouth if he doesn't do exactly that. And we lose to Columbia if he doesn't do exactly that.

It's how he's been coached. It's how everybody on this team has been coached.

You know what thats BS and you used to get it but you're out now. Galen Adams is a nice player but on defense he's a dog@!!!!

Reaction Score
You know what thats BS and you used to get it but you're out now. Galen Adams is a nice player but on defense he's a dog@!!!!
This post is a reminder, during the holidays, of just how bad things can get when you let Jack Daniels take the wheel.

Don't drink & internet, kids.

Reaction Score

Wow good call Fishman, damn you're right he excellent on offense. The day you wake up and see he blows on defense is the day I will realize you know anything at all about basketball for once.

Reaction Score
This post is a reminder, during the holidays, of just how bad things can get when you let Jack Daniels take the wheel.

Don't drink & internet, kids.

F off I now a lot more than you Matrim watch the damn game , only you think you know more...but congrats

Reaction Score

Fish even though you're right, Jalen has been a huge disappointment. We all know he's a good college player, but with his high school pedigree and his physical talent, he should be much better by now as a junior.

He's regressed shooting the ball, and physically he looks a shell of himself looking slow, lethargic, making dumb bonehead plays. A big part of our offense looking so bad is because of him. His leadership skills are nowhere to be found and he is not making anyone around him better.

If he was actually a threat to score on the perimeter, our pick and roll offense would look a hell of a lot better. Not to mention that the guy screening for Adams(should be Larrier on this team) needs to be a threat to score. Adams doesn't do any of that and no one on the team understands that including the head coach. He doesn't calm anyone down when the going gets tough or make a big play to calm the storm.

PS: I won't get into Ollie and coaching because my thoughts on him are quite clear and evident to everyone on the boneyard.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Razzle

Top Bottom