OT: - Jail-breaking the Firestick | The Boneyard

OT: Jail-breaking the Firestick

Reaction Score
Ok, can someone walk me through what I need to know before I do this? I'm not worried about doing myself since there's a million how-to's out there, but do I need a VPN? Is there a preferred platform? Does it enable regional sports, the YES Network, etc.?

Reaction Score
You don't need a VPN. Some recommend it, I don't use one.
Just YouTube it and go with a recent video that has a good amount of views. Read the comments to make sure everyone supports it.
I haven't had any luck with live regional sports.
Go with Terrarium TV over Kodi, in my opinion.

Reaction Score
Kodi seems clunky. The stick is a good tool to have in the entertainment arsenal but i wouldnt rely on it solely for my entertainment needs.

I agree. Kodi is clunky. It is hit or miss of it actually working. It worked last night so I could finally watch Thor: Ragnarok.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Complete waste of time.

You won’t see anything in terms of regional sports and you should buy or rent your movies like a grown-up.

But if you must, use a VPN. Also, you’re probably turning your FireStick into a DDoS bot.

Mr. French

Tremendous Individual
Reaction Score
I use my fire stick but generally agree with the above: I thought it seemed like a great idea, but literally nothing I did both worked AND provided me any real value.

Reaction Score
Complete waste of time.

You won’t see anything in terms of regional sports and you should buy or rent your movies like a grown-up.

But if you must, use a VPN. Also, you’re probably turning your FireStick into a DDoS bot.

I disagree on it being a complete waste of time. For movies and tv series, Terrarium TV works great. And who "buys" movies anymore, Gramps?

Reaction Score
I overpaided for a box that has been set up for me. I watched most of the Uconn games (on rare occassion it wasnt on). And pretty much all live sports. All paperview events... Terrarium is great for movies and TV shows. I've had it since September and its great. Now it doesnt come without issues. Sometimes you have to update it and some times the feeds can be choppy and you have to look for another one, but thats the nature of viewing things that way.

Reaction Score
I set up my Kodi and I use it all the time. Most movies that just came to theaters are going to be bad bootleg quality but give it a few weeks and you will get a nice clean copy. Not sure what those are doing who say its clunky and doesn't work.

I recently watched the Cobra Kai series on Kodi on the Firestick instead of joining YouTube Red and came in perfect. Around Oscar season all the free screeners that celebrities get end up online and their great copies on Kodi.

Agree who wants to spend 15 bucks to go to the movies. I went to see Avengers but unless its a big event movie I'd rather watch on my Firestick. Although I am now interested in the Terrarium TV.

Reaction Score
HDMI cable or a device like Nyrius combined with sites similar to 123movies & soccer stream is the easiest and safest way to watch stuff as long as you have ublock configured properly. That being said, I started Google rewards and they have deals for .99 rentals all the time. I've watched 20-30 movies off the play store and haven't paid for a single one

Horatio

Cohesion is the Key
Reaction Score
Kodi seems clunky. The stick is a good tool to have in the entertainment arsenal but i wouldnt rely on it solely for my entertainment needs.

I just jail broke mine 3 weeks ago. We were looking at getting a fire stick as a cable replacement until I thought about basketball season starting and not being able to watch games. Imagine that. We’ll Probably just use it for extra entertainment as well.

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
I just jail broke mine 3 weeks ago. We were looking at getting a fire stick as a cable replacement until I thought about basketball season starting and not being able to watch games. Imagine that. We’ll Probably just use it for extra entertainment as well.

I just switched to PS Vue; it gets SNY now and also all of the ESPN channels and CBS Sports. $45 a month. I'm paying $40 a month for internet so that's a pretty good deal to still be able to watch all of my sports.

Reaction Score
I set up my Kodi and I use it all the time. Most movies that just came to theaters are going to be bad bootleg quality but give it a few weeks and you will get a nice clean copy. Not sure what those are doing who say its clunky and doesn't work.

I recently watched the Cobra Kai series on Kodi on the Firestick instead of joining YouTube Red and came in perfect. Around Oscar season all the free screeners that celebrities get end up online and their great copies on Kodi.

Agree who wants to spend 15 bucks to go to the movies. I went to see Avengers but unless its a big event movie I'd rather watch on my Firestick. Although I am now interested in the Terrarium TV.

Terrarium is solid, i like it. Older things don't always work. If a feed gets choppy you just go back and grab another one.. Usually within the 1st three tries i get a non choppy feed. If you have to go back and grab another feed, it usually starts you where you left off in the previous feed. New shows are usually uploaded the same night that they air, or the next day (i just watch the show a day later usually). I like it alot when i'm not watching live TV on my device.

Reaction Score
Just adding on to what most people said, Terrarium doesn't require "jailbreaking" so its preferred in that sense - its a normal app you can download. If you find Kodi "clunky" you can download better skins for it that are more functional. For movies and tv both have nearly everything you would want. I prefer Terrarium at this point because the interface is better and im sick of logging into Kodi just to find Genesis doesnt exist that day or something similar.

You do not need a VPN. Or at least, I have never used one with mine.

If you want live television kodi is the way to go but I will say that its not a super reliable way to go either. Plenty of times I have planned on watching a UFC fight or Boxing match and been forced to watch with terrible quality or constant buffering. Less so on some of the 4 major sports but there are times when I have made plans around a college fball game only to not find it or been forced to watch with crappy quality. You are at the mercy of whoever is posting things.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
@whaler11 is an expert on cord cutting. He should chime in on this thread and give advice on the different ways to hack all these devices to save you guys 4 dollars and 79 cents a month.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
@whaler11 is an expert on cord cutting. He should chime in on this thread and give advice on the different ways to hack all these devices to save you guys 4 dollars and 79 cents a month.

Fishy already shoveled the dirt on this grave.

I’d rather watch Diaco coach than use Kodi.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
Fishy already shoveled the dirt on this grave.

I’d rather watch Diaco coach than use Kodi.

I love my X1 I can voice command the X1 youtube app from my remote now too. Never mind the absolute complete netflix intergration that is incredible. I dont even have to be in the app to search it.
Oh and watching stuff on my Home DVR on my Ipad when I was 300 miles away last week on a LTE connection was sweet too.

It gets better every week.

meanwhile these guys are trying to hack a LOL firestick.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
I love my X1 I can voice command the X1 youtube app from my remote now too. Never mind the absolute complete netflix intergration that is incredible. I dont even have to be in the app to search it.
Oh and watching stuff on my Home DVR on my Ipad when I was 300 miles away last week on a LTE connection was sweet too.

It gets better every week.

meanwhile these guys are trying to hack a LOL firestick.

Yeah but if you try three different applications and 4 different streams you can watch National Treasure in standard def for free.

Reaction Score
Try set tv..it just recently got sued apparently but not sure what is going to happen with it. Apparently they are fighting back. But while it is still around they charge $20/month and it’s been the best streaming service I have ever used. Not like kodi where you have to look for that perfect link. It’s just like you have cable tv or directv with a guide, and also has on demand movies that are in theaters as well as full tv series. All mlb/nfl/nba/nfl games and I’ve seen all the big ppv fights and they come in hd quality. Just watch a YouTube video on how to set it up. It’s fairly easy.

Reaction Score
We live in a society where a person publicly requests information on how best to steal in a forum accessible to virtually all law enforcement.
Several answers advise on the best way to steal.
Copyright caries a 5yr/100k per max penalty, IIRC.
9 hours later, and the thread is still visible.

Not sure whether to be depressed or impressed. Hell of a world.

Reaction Score
well the jailbreak would be to save any additional $$ that I could as things are getting tighter and tighter. I've already switched to Vue but if the jailbreak could save me $40/month I'd be all in.

Reaction Score
well the jailbreak would be to save any additional $$ that I could as things are getting tighter and tighter. I've already switched to Vue but if the jailbreak could save me $40/month I'd be all in.

Oh, I guess in that case...it's NOT stealing. Carry on.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom