Jacobs: UConn's Road To A Power 5 Goes Through New York | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Jacobs: UConn's Road To A Power 5 Goes Through New York

Status
Not open for further replies.

UCPusky

"Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber
Reaction Score
Man, the way he says UConn won 4 championships in the 2 major sports is cringeworthy.

Agreed. I also could have done without his dig at Calhoun which didn't add any value to the argument he laid out.

Reaction Score
Man, the way he says UConn won 4 championships in the 2 major sports is cringeworthy.

Yet, the unfortunate truth.

Women's hoops is gaining more and more popularity nationwide every year, but you can't begin to put it on par with Football and Men's Basketball.

UConn Dan

Not HuskyFanDan; I lurk & I like
Reaction Score
Yet, the unfortunate truth.

Women's hoops is gaining more and more popularity nationwide every year, but you can't begin to put it on par with Football and Men's Basketball.
Jacobs wasn't referring to wbb, only mbb and football championships since 1999.

He was saying of the two major sports only Florida also has 4 championships since 1999. Florida has 2 mbb and 2 football for total of 4 and UConn has 4 mbb and 0 football for a total of 4.

Reaction Score
Jacobs wasn't referring to wbb, only mbb and football championships since 1999.

He was saying of the two major sports only Florida also has 4 championships since 1999. Florida has 2 mbb and 2 football for total of 4 and UConn has 4 mbb and 0 football for a total of 4.

Yes, I know, my comment was in response to the OP's which I perceived as a snub towards Women's hoops.

CAHUSKY

UConn Class of 2013
Reaction Score
From Jacobs: "When the Big Ten chose Rutgers in 2012, it looked to the New York market and overlooked Rutgers' crappy sports performance. Rutgers' advantage over UConn? Rutgers is one of the 60 members of the Association of American Universities, the elite fraternity devoted to academic research. The Big Ten loves the AAU. Even though UConn's academic stock has continued to rise in recent years, the powers in Storrs are convinced that's why UConn got beat out"

If we had 9 million cable boxes I guarantee they would have overlooked AAU.

Reaction Score
I actually think that Joe D. & Gresch should have Jeff Jacobs on as an in studio guest & spend a few segments discussing this topic (of course taking callers for commentary). I wonder though if they are under a gag order by WTIC management on this speculative topic due to WTIC's contract as the UCONN flagship station?

Reaction Score
The only thing Key about me is that I wore a Piano Key necktie once.

Don't undermine your research thread bro. That was very well put together, and nailed UConn's selling points better than any of the local media has done.

Reaction Score
I actually think that Joe D. & Gresch should have Jeff Jacobs on as an in studio guest & spend a few segments discussing this topic (of course taking callers for commentary). I wonder though if they are under a gag order by WTIC management on this speculative topic due to WTIC's contract as the UCONN flagship station?
The segments would last 3.5 minutes since WTIC has to constantly do traffic and weather together every 10. We get it. It's cold. And there's traffic on 84 and 91, and in Waterbury and New Haven and on 95. :)

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
The segments would last 3.5 minutes since WTIC has to constantly do traffic and weather together every 10. We get it. It's cold. And there's traffic on 84 and 91, and in Waterbury and New Haven and on 95. :)
I don't believe Joe D would want to touch it, especially how we were picked over in the past. And Gresh cant go more than 3 minutes without saying "vox populi."

Reaction Score
I have no doubt that Jacobs has been in contact with UConn authorities. My question is who initiated these discussions. Did Jacobs hear something and was curious then contacted UConn to do research on this? Or did UConn contact Jacobs with hopes of Jacobs writing these columns to "market" these ideas? Neither one is particularly a bad thing,

He interviewed WM last week: Jeff Jacobs: The State Of State U. Sports

Reaction Score
A lot of this must depend on Fox and what ESPN thinks Fox might be up to. Fox is experiencing success with their BTN model and they may be considering something similar. At the same time FS1 is drowning. We saw how desperate Fox was for content when they paid the BE for bball and amount that ESPN must be laughing at. ESPN gets AAC men's bball, women's bball and football for half of what Fox paid. Some FS1 games get 10,000 viewers.

So the question is really what does Fox want to do about being so far behind the game in college sports.

IMind

Wildly Inaccurate
Reaction Score
A lot of this must depend on Fox and what ESPN thinks Fox might be up to. Fox is experiencing success with their BTN model and they may be considering something similar. At the same time FS1 is drowning. We saw how desperate Fox was for content when they paid the BE for bball and amount that ESPN must be laughing at. ESPN gets AAC men's bball, women's bball and football for half of what Fox paid. Some FS1 games get 10,000 viewers.

So the question is really what does Fox want to do about being so far behind the game in college sports.

What this really tells me is that UConn Women's hoops is more valuable than the entire Big East conference. :cool:

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
As far as NYC goes, UConn prepared a document back in 2011 titled "UConn is New York City's Team". It is on page 6 of these documents:

http://www.documentcloud.org/documents/282123-responsive-documents.html#document/p1

You are the friggin' man. This document is the one I have been trying to find for years that puts a UConn voice behind our presence in NYC and Boston. What I bolded is huge and should supply weight behind the 11.4M TV homes we would bring.

Page 7

"Although Relatively New, UConn Football ls Popular ln Both New York and Boston I
In three of the last four years, UConn's national television rating of its bowl game has been
higher than the Rutgers bowl game -- including doubling the mark in 2007 and 2011.
ln a recent New York Times article*, UConn was ranked ahead of Syracuse among the most
popular college football teams. In the New York DMA, and UConn was the only BIG EAST school
listed among the top five most popular college football teams In-both the New York and Boston
DMAs."

Reaction Score
One point made very clear on the bottom of p. 8 top of p. 9 is that the school Presidents were driving the CR bus. It was not being led by the AD's.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
  • In 2010-11, UConn Men's Basketball was the Most Viewed East Conference Team In New York City.
  • A combined 1.35 million households watched UConn basketball games ln the New York DMA that were televised on ESPN or ESPN2. That number doubled the number of households watching Syracuse games on ESPN or ESPN2 and was five tlmes more than the number of households that watched Rutgers on ESPN or ESPN2.
  • UConn's flve games In the BIG EAST tournament were watched by a combined 590,000 combined households in the New York DMA.
  • Over the past ten years, UConn ls the only school to rank among the top two league in tickets purchased to the tournament by their supports. The other school paired with UConn has varied greatly over the years.
  • The UConn women's basketball team played before a crowd of 15.232 against Ohlo State in Madison Square Garden in December 2010 -- the second-largest crowd for a women's basketball game (college or professional) at MSG.
All good stuff.

Reaction Score
Not that anyone ever doubted Susan and other respective university presidents drive the bus, but any hesitation was eliminated regarding UCONN's bus driver. A few of the not always subtle email reminders to various athletic department representatives are comical.

Reaction Score
I am watching tonight's Manhattan-Iona basketball game, and Manhattan College claims that they are the 6th borough on signs at both ends of their arena. Who claim was first, UConn or Manhattan College? If Manhattan was first, would that have any legal repercussions on UConn's claim. Any attorneys who wish to comment would be more than welcome.

MattMang23

Adding Nothing to the Conversation
Reaction Score
I am watching tonight's Manhattan-Iona basketball game, and Manhattan College claims that they are the 6th borough on signs at both ends of their arena. Who claim was first, UConn or Manhattan College? If Manhattan was first, would that have any legal repercussions on UConn's claim. Any attorneys who wish to comment would be more than welcome.

Why would Manhattan college be claiming to be the sixth borough when they are in the Bronx, which is like the second borough, and named after Manhattan, which is like the first borough? Kind of a weird marketing strategy, but OK...

Reaction Score
You can't be the 6th borough of NYC when your school resides in one of the 5 Borough's (Manhattan College is in the Bronx by Van Cortland Park and Gaelic Park)

Reaction Score
I am just reporting, to my surprise, what I saw watching that game. Nothing more, nothing less. I don't know if this is something that they have trademarked or anything like that. Those Riverdale people could never accept that they are part of the Bronx.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom