Jacobs Article is up - Sheds some light on Warde's thought process | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Jacobs Article is up - Sheds some light on Warde's thought process

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I will be the first to admit that we never know about recruting. But we are hearing it this year, and we didn't last year. And again, I do think talent is part of the problem, but how can you pancake block someone if instead of firing off the line you have to wait to see what the D is doing to decide whom to block?

Your exactly right BL the line are not coming off at full speed like the opposing D-Line are. With DeLeones genius scheme you have to wait and see the defense who are flying all over the place at full speed including linebackers... Blocking this way is difficult no matter what the talent is.

Medic, I know we don't have Alabama type of talent, but we don't need that type of talent to beat Temple, W. Michigan, etc... I won't say Kent State does not have talent, but I will say that they don't have better talent then us! DeLeone is making our players look like we don't have talent that's the problem. Hazel in the other hand is doing a great job making his players look talented... Coaching plays a big part if not they wouldn't get paid the money they do. Edsall is an example of a coach making a 1*, 2 * player look like a 4* player!

Reaction Score
This argument about lack of O-Line talent is absurd. These O-Line players have just as much talent as several other of our O-Lines, yet none of them ever played as tentatively, subject to as many false starts, and incapable of blowing open a seam or holding off a pass rush, week after week, like these guys. This is a coaching issue. If you talk with any of these guys, or even more interestingly, with some of our past guys, you'd be amazed at what they have to say. Lets just say (not surprisingly) GDL's philosophy and techniques---and inherently miserable demeanor--do not merit lots of love.

Reaction Score
Keep believing that because it's a feel good position. Life isn't fair, our o-line sucks and it's not all because of the god damn schemes or coaching.
Huskymedic, there does seem to be a lot of people who are having issues with GDL, more than feel good. This tandem got evicted from Syracuse for a reason. If you can't get it done at a place like Syracuse, where at least they have the tradition, then you're going to have an even harder time at a place like Uconn, not even on the college football map. They are having the kind of results here that got them ejected out of Syracuse. It's like, these coaches are doing a great job except for the won/loss record. Everything's good except the results.

Reaction Score
I would jettison our coaches like the Red Sox axed Bobby Valentine as their manager. How interesting it was to listen to all the same arguments--- inherited a team with less talent, a ton of issues to deal with, needs more time, blah, blah. The fact is our players don't want to play for an named GDL nor his enabler, just as the Sox hated playing for Valentine. I don"t care about the timeframe, PP and GDL must go. They are bringing down the "franchise". The fact that Susan and Warde were in Tampa is akin to having the GM travel to Seattle to watch the Sox in a late season series with the Mariners. It spells doom.

Reaction Score
Huskymedic, there does seem to be a lot of people who are having issues with GDL, more than feel good. This tandem got evicted from Syracuse for a reason. If you can't get it done at a place like Syracuse, where at least they have the tradition, then you're going to have an even harder time at a place like Uconn, not even on the college football map. They are having the kind of results here that got them ejected out of Syracuse. It's like, these coaches are doing a great job except for the won/loss record. Everything's good except the results.

Let's go back to the OP that prompted my blurt:

Bill O'Brien is having success at Penn State in his first season (6-3) and look at that mess he took over. I don't think it's fair to the players and say theres no talent at the o-line positions when you have DeLeone coaching them... That itself should explain why we're not having success there.

UF said he didn't think it's fair to the players and say theres no talent at the o-line position when you have DeLeone coaching them. My response is that life's not fair and the o-line sucks and it's not ALL because of the god damn schemes and coaching. No where did I defend GDL - as a matter of fact I have said I'm not a fan of GDL but I stand by the comment that a reasonable person cannot put 100% of our o-line problems on schemes and coachng and that skill level (talent) has to come into play. I support the kids 100 % and will continue to do so each game but I'm not a bad person for saying that the D1 scholarship players have some onus here. (Coming from a dad who's kid plays AAU Baseball and has had his fair share of barbs thrown @ him by parents).

Reaction Score
Warde Manuel is a moron ! He's up 2 programs at once. 2 yrs ago BCS bowl game and NCAAT champion now look at Uconn. At this rate we will be the last team to leave the NBE when we should have been the first. Fball most important bball most successful. Now both suck and he's not all that concerned. Keep PP another yr. jerk KO around. Poeple everywhere but in CT predicted Uconn would sink to the bottom of college sports, we have, and Manuel is 'n torpedo. It's not like we are in the ACC already and can take our time fixing things, cuse, pitt. I think someone should tell him he's not at Buffalo anymore before we end up in the same league with them!

Is it OK to like a post simply for clarity of thought? My issue is that Ward is in year 1 and P is in year 2. The problem is that he has only had to suffer one year of this decline and actually doesn't know much else. We have seen where the program can be and recognize the unacceptable regression that 2 poor seasons can potentially cause for years to come. That said, his willingness to do a fair evaluation at season's end will determine if he's 'n torpedo Nicci thinks he is. And credit will be given if it's due.

Reaction Score
Let's go back to the OP that prompted my blurt:

UF said he didn't think it's fair to the players and say theres no talent at the o-line position when you have DeLeone coaching them. My response is that life's not fair and the o-line sucks and it's not ALL because of the god damn schemes and coaching. No where did I defend GDL - as a matter of fact I have said I'm not a fan of GDL but I stand by the comment that a reasonable person cannot put 100% of our o-line problems on schemes and coachng and that skill level (talent) has to come into play. I support the kids 100 % and will continue to do so each game but I'm not a bad person for saying that the D1 scholarship players have some onus here. (Coming from a dad who's kid plays AAU Baseball and has had his fair share of barbs thrown @ him by parents).

Not once did I say it was a 100% DeLeone's fault. Truth is the offense is playing awful under "DeLeone" and the O-Line is playing even worst under "DeLeone" you can't hide the fact's... he's not doing something right.

Again, the coaches get paid good money to bring out the best of these kids and DeLeone is not doing it! Edsall coached kids who came in as 1* players 2* players and by their Junior, Senior years they looked like 3*, 4* players.

When Charlie Weis coached Notre Damn the team wasn't winning like most people in the country thought they would. Now are you going to say Notre Damn didn't have enough talent?

I say it was poor coaching! That school brings in 4*, 5* players every year! look at what Brian Kelly has done with that team, and let's not forget a lot of those talented kids are Charlie Weis recruits. Brian Kelly is doing a better job coaching them up than Weis did and the success proves it;)

jbdphi

Aussie Aussie Aussie!
Reaction Score
I agree that this is our least talented OL in a while. But if you believe it's mostly personnel, Medic, that makes it the worst run blocking line in the country, let me ask you this. We know Jimmy Bennett has no ready replacement on the roster at LT, and we're hearing about UConn searching for a JUCO LT. If the talent on the OL just flat out sucked, why didn't we go the JUCO route after last season?

Minor point but I'm pretty sure we pursued that transfer from Maryland last year pretty aggressively (Dill?).

Reaction Score
Winning or losing does not matter at this point. There is no excitement with this program. I hate the HC and I hate OC .
Even if we win a few games there is no future with these guys. let’s not waste another minute . THE PP SHOW MUST GO !!!

Reaction Score
I don't know. Just for me, I would evaluate an AD over a very long time-frame. Coaches usually have a window of several years, and PP and especially GDL may be shrinking their window. At this point I'd still be okay if Warde pressures GDL to go and keeps PP for another year (in which he would clearly be on the hot seat). Whether it plays out that way or not I don't know. The most desirable outcome would be PP and co. voluntarily retiring but I really doubt he'd do that.

I agree with this completely. While I am not exactly thrilled with the words coming out of his mouth, it probably takes five to eight years to judge an AD's true impact. Warde is a leader at the organizational level, most of the decisions he makes are of the kind that won't show their true impact for years.

If I'm Warde Manuel. I'm thinking that I am playing a rapidly diminishing pile of house money with this football staff. He didn't hire them, and he doesn't want to look impulsive in throwing what's left of that money on red (or Coach Blue).

Depending on how this team finishes out, that pile may be depleted. Going into next season, he'll be spending his own. If the team gets bludgeoned for a third season in a row under Pasqualoni, then Pasqualoni will be Warde's fault. He can't just chalk it up to his predecessor.

I guess the only thing that disappoints me is the appearance of a lack of a desire to put his stamp on things. Many of these aggressive ADs want to get their guys in there as soon as possible. He may actually be think this way and he is just playing it close to the vest.

RedSoloCup

2 golf tournaments...
Reaction Score
He may actually be think this way and he is just playing it close to the vest.
My hope is just that.

Yeah, we need change around the football program. It needs to grow... and any torpedos of the head coach will hurt recruiting, etc., especially midseason.

Other than HFD, I am not sure who talks to WM daily and knows where he's taking this.

Reaction Score
Herbst and Manuel are aware. They are seeing everything we are seeing, and more. They are hearing everything we are hearing, and more. How many on this board alone have voiced (or emailed) their dissatisfaction with the current staff to one ir both? Now add on to that how many others who don't come to this board, and donate A LOT of money to the program,have also voiced their displeasure. SH and WM are fully aware. I like that we haven't heard from them thru the press at this point. What's to gain (other than getting HFD to halt his "auto-emails" to WM every hour, on the hour, 24/7 ;) )?

People expecting them to make a declarative statement at this point are being unrealistic, as much as I'd love to hear one as well (I don't care what Kentucky, Idaho, Houston, or even GT did, those are not programs I want UConn to emulate). I'm withholding my critique/assessment until Tuesday, December 4th (had to pick a Tuesday, all important announcements are on Tuesday). If at that time we still have both PP and GDL here, then I'll be concerned. Until then, i will continue to support Herbst and Manuel's handling of the situation.

Reaction Score
Herbst and Manuel are aware. They are seeing everything we are seeing, and more. They are hearing everything we are hearing, and more. How many on this board alone have voiced (or emailed) their dissatisfaction with the current staff to one ir both? Now add on to that how many others who don't come to this board, and donate A LOT of money to the program,have also voiced their displeasure. SH and WM are fully aware. I like that we haven't heard from them thru the press at this point. What's to gain (other than getting HFD to halt his "auto-emails" to WM every hour, on the hour, 24/7 ;) )?

People expecting them to make a declarative statement at this point are being unrealistic, as much as I'd love to hear one as well (I don't care what Kentucky, Idaho, Houston, or even GT did, those are not programs I want UConn to emulate). I'm withholding my critique/assessment until Tuesday, December 4th (had to pick a Tuesday, all important announcements are on Tuesday). If at that time we still have both PP and GDL here, then I'll be concerned. Until then, i will continue to support Herbst and Manuel's handling of the situation.

Kentucky plays in the best conference in America. GT has been a leader at times in a much stronger all sports conference than UConn. And you don't want to emulate them. I get it, UConn did beat UMass and Buffalo in the same season. Nothing says "emulate us" like those results.

Reaction Score
Kentucky plays in the best conference in America. GT has been a leader at times in a much stronger all sports conference than UConn. And you don't want to emulate them. I get it, UConn did beat UMass and Buffalo in the same season. Nothing says "emulate us" like those results.
I think there is a chance that we WILL model ourselves after Kentucky or Duke if this isn't fixed and soon. A basketball power that only rarely puts decent football teams on the field. I mean UK has exactly 2 football championships in the SEC. the most recent was when Ford was President.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
The football and hoop situation are apples and oranges x 1,000,000. This being the football board, I sort of hate to see it get bogged down in the KO issue and take the focus away from PP, etc.

I think it's way to soon to start throwing Manuel under the bus. The "came from a small program" stuff is nonsense. He PLAYED at Michigan and was an associate AD there. That puts him light years ahead of his predecessor.

Jacobs might have been stretching it to say that Manuel "insistent" that he won't fire P after two seasons. Here's what he said to Desmond Conner on Sept. 24 and reinforced to the New Haven Register last week

That being said, Manuel has Pasqualoni's back in terms of support. He said he's not even thinking in the direction of replacing his head coach right now.
"I'm not even thinking about whether Paul is the right coach at this point in his tenure," Manuel said. "He's fine. Nobody is working harder than Paul and that staff and those kids. My expectation and his expectation is that we go out and we plan to win every game we go into. We just have to ensure that we're doing, as coaches, as players and staff, doing everything we need to do to put ourselves in position to win but that's not even remotely in my thought process, about whether or not we have the right coach. I think we have the right coach. We just have to get better."
pixel.gif

Asked if he's seen anything that would make him want to make any changes, Manuel said: "Nothing up to this point would make me want to pull out Paul's contract and take a look at it. My goal is to support Paul, support the other head coaches. And at the appropriate time, if it comes that way, at some point he will be the first to know. But nothing up to this point, what I've seen, would cause me to want to take a look at Paul's contract."

The man isn't blind. I'd suspect the 1-4 "run" we're on since then has changed his mind.

That's a tepid vote of confidence, at best and is wide open to interpretation. Mine is simply that November 5 is not the appropriate time, but December 4th is a different story... I am in full agreement that to throw him under the bus this early into his tenure is comepletely premature and no one could not have handled the Ollie situation better than Warde Manuel did. I wrote it in a different post a couple weeks back, perhaps I'll go back and find it if I have a few minutes later on.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
My completely uniformed opinion why the Oline isn't doing well: too light, not strong enough, and unsuited to do what they are being asked to do.

Talent level has nothing to do with it.

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk 2

Reaction Score
My completely uniformed opinion why the Oline isn't doing well: too light, not strong enough, and unsuited to do what they are being asked to do.

Talent level has nothing to do with it.

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk 2

Not trying to be argumentative, but doesn't size and strength count on the OLine? How is that not part of talent? That's like saying that running back has a lot of talent, he just isn't big, strong, or fast, and can't break tackles.

Listen - I'm not defending the coaching, but I just can't buy the argument that LM is as good as JT and the OLine is basically the same, and the only thing that is different is the coaching. I'd put it at 30% talent, 70% coaching.

If JT or DB ran behind that same line, they have 2-3-400 more rushing yards last year. The combination of a struggling OLine with a small back is a very bad one.

Reaction Score
You nailed it. Great assessment, as usual.

Reaction Score
If this is true then Warde Manuel needs to go, is this guy blind. You could give Pasqualoni the NY Giants roster and he still wouldn't win, the guy is just a horrible coach at this point.

Someone has probably pointed out that the piece quoted above was not a quote at all. The idea (number of coaches/type of recruit) was not even attributed to the AD. It was JJ conjecture.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Not trying to be argumentative, but doesn't size and strength count on the OLine? How is that not part of talent? That's like saying that running back has a lot of talent, he just isn't big, strong, or fast, and can't break tackles.

Listen - I'm not defending the coaching, but I just can't buy the argument that LM is as good as JT and the OLine is basically the same, and the only thing that is different is the coaching. I'd put it at 30% talent, 70% coaching.

If JT or DB ran behind that same line, they have 2-3-400 more rushing yards last year. The combination of a struggling OLine with a small back is a very bad one.

I hate the coaching staff. The offensive line is causing 80% of the problems this team has. Even I admit it's not all coaching - this offensive line wouldn't be good no matter who was coaching them. They would be better - but not good.

Reaction Score
I might be wrong about this, but in my opinion UCONN gained prominence by sheer luck. They got lucky and hired two Hall of Fame coaches. Where the school is now, versus where it was when I showed up in 1989 is night and day. And we have a president that wants to make today look like 1989 (maybe I'm exaggerating a little but not when you hear her talk about it). And she is NOT an anti-sports person (I know there are some presidents that don't care about sports at all). So I expect her to be successful in ALL things. SHE expects to be successful in ALL things. From what I hear inside the school, she is the first president to lay the wood to people for wanting to keep the "status quo" - she is not from the "land of steady habits" as it were. I fully expect her to get judged for the decisions she makes, athletics included. All I'm asking is let's not ask for her to be hung because her predecessor hired the wrong coach. You want to bang on PP today, absolutely. But to put her in the same boat? Not fair at this point. Football is NOT the only thing on her plate.

I agree that she isn't a politically connected hack tied to state dem politics (which is most of politics in CT). She is an outsider with a great pedigree. Your last sentence supports precisely my point; she has more to do than worry about athletic success. And more important things to do.

Reaction Score
I agree that she isn't a politically connected hack tied to state dem politics (which is most of politics in CT). She is an outsider with a great pedigree. Your last sentence supports precisely my point; she has more to do than worry about athletic success. And more important things to do.

We've had a Democratic Governor for two years out of the last what -- twenty six or so? Yes, one party is responsible for all state bureacrats. Sheesh.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom