Jackie Young - ND 2016 Recruit | The Boneyard

Jackie Young - ND 2016 Recruit

Status
Not open for further replies.

bruinbball

@biglurp
Reaction Score
I was able to watch Jackie play in person on Tuesday in the Hall of Fame classic. I have never been disappointed Geno and UConn didn't either sign or recruit a player until now. In just a few more games, she will become Indiana's all-time leading scorer. She's a 6'0 guard with excellent athleticism, IQ, scoring, passing and rebounding abilities. I am disappointed I will not see this one in a Huskies uniform. Sorry for the rough video link, but damn I came away impressed. (The video is not from the tournament she played in this week).

Article on the tournament: https://usatodayhss.com/2015/doyel-historic-matchup-belongs-to-jackie-time/
https://search.yahoo.com/yhs/search...imp=yhs-002earch&hspart=mozilla&hsimp=yhs-002
Video of Jackie:

Reaction Score
I was able to watch Jackie play in person on Tuesday in the Hall of Fame classic. I have never been disappointed Geno and UConn didn't either sign or recruit a player until now. In just a few more games, she will become Indiana's all-time leading scorer. She's a 6'0 guard with excellent athleticism, IQ, scoring, passing and rebounding abilities. I am disappointed I will not see this one in a Huskies uniform. Sorry for the rough video link, but damn I came away impressed. (The video is not from the tournament she played in this week).

Article on the tournament: https://usatodayhss.com/2015/doyel-historic-matchup-belongs-to-jackie-time/
Video of Jackie:

Am I in the wrong place? Isn't this a UCONN message board? If Geno did not go after her there must have been a good reason. Being from Indiana there might not have been a chance to get her away from home. As for being disappointed that you will not see her in a Huskies uniform, that is sad for you, but there are others I am regret not seeing in a huskies uniform more than this young lady. Of course I do not blame Geno for them not coming to UCONN.......

Right now I would rather direct my attention on Megan Walker and other players from the class of 2017. I hope we can get some of the 6'4" players.....

By the way the word Disappointed needs perspective in the larger global scheme of things. But I assure you Geno will move forward today and every other day even though you are disappointed in him.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Cut Geno some slack here. Jackie Young is a very talented player but I am not sure UCONN ever had a chance to or interest in recruiting her.
Jackie committed to ND in October, 2014-Her Junior year.
http://www.ndinsider.com/basketball...cle_b18e8c38-4aa7-11e4-a61f-001a4bcf6878.html
Prior to committing to ND she visited only Illinois, Purdue, Indiana & Louisville-pretty clear indication she intended to stay in mid-West ish.
For young's class '16 and position G UCONN was rumored to have interest in Ionescu (uncommitted) and Chou (Baylor) both of which were rated higher than Young and had both of who made respective age group USA basketball teams. Ironically Chou stayed home, Ionescu might still stay home (Cal) and UCONN signed Molly Bent (Mass) pretty much home. The list of kids that want to stay home (and settle for second best) it is a long and distinguished -Wilson, Holmes, Cox, Young, Ionescu?) The list of Kids who actually leave home is more accomplished so for '16 Geno is betting on a Kid from The Volunteer State-pretty solid bet IMO.

Reaction Score
Am I in the wrong place? Isn't this a UCONN message board? If Geno did not go after her there must have been a good reason. Being from Indiana there might not have been a chance to get her away from home. As for being disappointed that you will not see her in a Huskies uniform, that is sad for you, but there are others I am regret not seeing in a huskies uniform more than this young lady. Of course I do not blame Geno for them not coming to UCONN..

Right now I would rather direct my attention on Megan Walker and other players from the class of 2017. I hope we can get some of the 6'4" players.....

By the way the word Disappointed needs perspective in the larger global scheme of things. But I assure you Geno will move forward today and every other day even though you are disappointed in him.

Why such a mean tone in response to Coco's post? I've seen many posts regarding "wished for"recruits and was not offended by any of them. I have often regretted Geno's inability/disinclination(?) to get Candace Parker, Brittany Hunter (pre-injury), and more recently, Erin Boley. That is in no way construable as some sort of attack or put-down of Geno's. Can't we all just get along?

Reaction Score
As a fan of wcbb nationwide i love info.that people have from all parts of the country.Thank you for posting the information on Ms.Young.Anyone who will be a tough opponent for our beloved sleddogettes in the future is of interest to me.Happy New Year to all from the Coachella Valley in California.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
As a fan of wcbb nationwide i love info.that people have from all parts of the country.Thank you for posting the information on Ms.Young.Anyone who will be a tough opponent for our beloved sleddogettes in the future is of interest to me.Happy New Year to all from the Coachella Valley in California.

Pacific44, Are you by chance an alumnus of UOP?

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Cut Geno some slack here. Jackie Young is a very talented player but I am not sure UCONN ever had a chance to or interest in recruiting her.
Jackie committed to ND in October, 2014-Her Junior year.
http://www.ndinsider.com/basketball...cle_b18e8c38-4aa7-11e4-a61f-001a4bcf6878.html
Prior to committing to ND she visited only Illinois, Purdue, Indiana & Louisville-pretty clear indication she intended to stay in mid-West ish.
For young's class '16 and position G UCONN was rumored to have interest in Ionescu (uncommitted) and Chou (Baylor) both of which were rated higher than Young and had both of who made respective age group USA basketball teams. Ironically Chou stayed home, Ionescu might still stay home (Cal) and UCONN signed Molly Bent (Mass) pretty much home. The list of kids that want to stay home (and settle for second best) it is a long and distinguished -Wilson, Holmes, Cox, Young, Ionescu?) The list of Kids who actually leave home is more accomplished so for '16 Geno is betting on a Kid from The Volunteer State-pretty solid bet IMO.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Why such a mean tone in response to Coco's post? I've seen many posts regarding "wished for"recruits and was not offended by any of them. I have often regretted Geno's inability/disinclination(?) to get Candace Parker, Brittany Hunter (pre-injury), and more recently, Erin Boley. That is in no way construable as some sort of attack or put-down of Geno's. Can't we all just get along?

Geno heavily recruited Brittany and she was regarded as a lock until a parent pretty much forced her to Duke where she was misused to the point of turning her into injured reserve. As yourself this, if Geno was not interested, why did he take her as a transfer when it was apparent irreparable injury had been done to her knee?

Reaction Score
it's really too bad what that her knee was so screwed up... I remember her being really good in her limited minutes. Still, was better to have her with limited minutes than not at all.

Reaction Score
Erin Boley is a good one that got away. But at least Geno tried.

ND is putting together a pretty good class for the foreseeable future. It is going to be very interesting next season giving what ND already has regardless who will depart when (Stewie & Mo) leave.

ND is loaded with shooters now. Another will be coming off injury along with a couple of high star recruits on the way. It is what it is. And regardless what it is don't look for Uconn to go running for cover. They will always stand and fight and prepare for battle.

In addition, SC, UCLA, TEXAS, BAYLOR, TENN. & OHIO ST. should all improve next season.

Reaction Score

Video of Jackie:

bruinbball, Happy New Year & be grateful :D. Check out the interview 3 Stripes you supplied after the initial one is done. At three minutes in when discussing possible schools she states distance from home as one of her top considerations. I appreciate your post and wish her the best but I am glad they did not spend the time and money that could have possibly been wasted. We have had a greater player than her come only to leave quickly to go home. This not only would leave a big hole in the recruiting class but possibly push another player out of the mix that would want to be here and develop into a part of the machine that produces NC's. :)
Geno & co also let the #1 player in our home state go off to Maryland for actual reasons we may never know. I for one am ok with it as I believe they had a reason. There is only so much room on a basketball team and it is only good for the game if the wealth is spread. Having said that if you have followed Geno for a decent amount of time, you would realize if he threw away an ace he is probably holding 4 queens. ;)

Reaction Score
Am I in the wrong place? Isn't this a UCONN message board? If Geno did not go after her there must have been a good reason. Being from Indiana there might not have been a chance to get her away from home. As for being disappointed that you will not see her in a Huskies uniform, that is sad for you, but there are others I am regret not seeing in a huskies uniform more than this young lady. Of course I do not blame Geno for them not coming to UCONN..

A bit harsh, don't you think? Of course you are on a UConn board. But we've had innumerable conversations here about prospects who have gone elsewhere, and to the best of my recollection, people have expressed disappointment that UCOnn did not get, say Candace Parker or Taya Reimer or any number of others. I don't recall that such expressions in the past have caused long-time BYers to question whether they were on a UConn board or not.

For what it's worth, I thought the tone of this post might have been indicative that the poster had a really long New Year's Eve celebration the night before and took out the consequences on the OP. Don't get me wrong:: I do my share of snark. But when I do, I'd like to think there was a reason for it.

Reaction Score
Erin Boley is a good one that got away. But at least Geno tried.

ND is putting together a pretty good class for the foreseeable future. It is going to be very interesting next season giving what ND already has regardless who will depart when (Stewie & Mo) leave.

ND is loaded with shooters now. Another will be coming off injury along with a couple of high star recruits on the way. It is what it is. And regardless what it is don't look for Uconn to go running for cover. They will always stand and fight and prepare for battle.

In addition, SC, UCLA, TEXAS, BAYLOR, TENN. & OHIO ST. should all improve next season.

How is Tennessee improved when they lose Graves and don't have any new recruits coming in?

Reaction Score
to
How is Tennessee improved when they lose Graves and don't have any new recruits coming in?

I took that in consideration too. Cooper will get better....As will DD and Mercedes. With what they have intact even when Graves leave is still pretty good before they feel the pain of landing no recruits.

cabbie191

Jonathan Husky on a date with Holi
Reaction Score

Put me in the camp that found your response to the OP unnecessarily harsh.

Reaction Score
They have Russell (#1) and Deshields (#3), and look what happens now ~~~

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
They also have an advantage in coaching. Just look at the Vols message board.

Reaction Score
Geno's inability/disinclination to recruit Brittany Hunter? What are you basing that on? Candace Parker is an amazing player but I do not see her fitting the UCONN mold. To me, and it might just be me on this... Parker is all about Parker. As for Erin Boley... I will admit I do not know enough about her, but what I do know is that Geno and Chris have won 10 national titles here at UCONN through their recruiting. I know Shea was part of a national title and a coach for what... 5 of the titles... so she was connected to six title runs. Marissa if I am not mistaken is also connected to 5 titles. I trust those people more than any "Tom, Dick, or Harry" on here. I am not saying that to be mean or anything.... but when a poster states they are disappointed in Geno because of the recruiting... you bet your bottom dollar I will respond and should respond.

We have had great players come and go. Sometimes it just does not work out... And we have had players start elsewhere and come here... If we really want to do the what if UCONN had this player game we should stick to Elena DellaDonne... had she stayed here what would we be at.... 7 straight titles? (Very very very good chance that that is what it would be )

Gus Mahler

Popular Composer
Reaction Score
If we really want to do the what if UCONN had this player game we should stick to Elena DellaDonne... had she stayed here what would we be at.... 7 straight titles? (Very very very good chance that that is what it would be )
Yup. Quite possibly. And going for eight. That would tighten some sphincters out in Westwood, eh?

Reaction Score

Geno was not in any way unable or lacked the ability to recruit Hunter(she really wanted to be a Husky) it was her stepfather that stuck his nose in because he wanted her to go to a more prestigious school. Hence she wound up at Duke. Her mom called Geno and asked if Brittany could commit to UConn, after her injury at Duke from which she had never really recovered. Geno said that even if she could not physicallyplay basketball that she was such a tremendous person to have on the team. Of course Newbie had a fit. He had written some nasty, nasty things about Geno on the Duke board.

bruinbball

@biglurp
Reaction Score
bruinbball, Happy New Year & be grateful :D. Check out the interview 3 Stripes you supplied after the initial one is done. At three minutes in when discussing possible schools she states distance from home as one of her top considerations. I appreciate your post and wish her the best but I am glad they did not spend the time and money that could have possibly been wasted. We have had a greater player than her come only to leave quickly to go home. This not only would leave a big hole in the recruiting class but possibly push another player out of the mix that would want to be here and develop into a part of the machine that produces NC's. :)
Geno & co also let the #1 player in our home state go off to Maryland for actual reasons we may never know. I for one am ok with it as I believe they had a reason. There is only so much room on a basketball team and it is only good for the game if the wealth is spread. Having said that if you have followed Geno for a decent amount of time, you would realize if he threw away an ace he is probably holding 4 queens. ;)
Maybe I should not have mentioned Geno's name. My post didn't insinuate a lack of recruiting ability, cause I think we all know that is asinine. My post was intended to be more directly related to her talents and how well I think she'd fit in at UConn and my disappointment she will be going to play for our rival. Sorry if anyone had a burr up their posterior in relation to my post.

I watched a really talented player, averaging nearly 40 points 10 rebounds 5 assists per game and thought to myself how much he could help her grow her game and much fun it would be to watch every one of her games the next for years.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
I took that in consideration too. Cooper will get better....As will DD and Mercedes. With what they have intact even when Graves leave is still pretty good before they feel the pain of landing no recruits.
Can you define "getting better"? I haven't seen much in the way of coaching skills from H. Warlick that would lead me to believe she's going to make the team better next year. And the loss of Bashaara Graves is HUGE. Kid is a gamer and I feel for her. I hope she has a great WNBA career.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom