J. Adams under Ollie & Hurley | Page 2 | The Boneyard

J. Adams under Ollie & Hurley

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I’m thinking of Jalen as the Sundance Kid... he can’t sit outside and hit threes, but he will wreak havoc if coach lets him move.
Laughed at the reference, but I'm sure JA is green lighted to drive.

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
Jalen has regressed a ton this year. The people saying he isn't that good seem to have short memories...I remember him taking over the end of games each of his first three years. There was one game last year, can't remember which one, but in crunch time Jalen had the ball in his hands every possession and either scored or assisted on all of our points to seal the game away. That Jalen is just a distant memory at this point.

I love Hurley, and think he'll have success here, but for all the talk about how Ollie wasn't able to get the most out of his players, Jalen has played the worst ball of his career under Hurley. It needs to get better or we're sniffing the NIT at best.

UChusky916

Making the board a little less insufferable
Reaction Score
Jalen is adjusting to playing in a real basketball system under Hurley and also having a PG next to him in AG.

Under KO in years past, he had to carry the load of ball-handling and creating offense out of necessity. Also, a majority of his time in that role, the team was losing frequently and needed him to push the ball offensively and play a bit reckless and force things. He was, out of necessity, always in attack mode... and KO did nothing to reel him in.

Under Hurley, and now with a healthy PG and in a better team system with more talent around him, it's a totally different scenario for Jalen. He needs to learn how to play within a structured offense and realize that each possession is valuable. He still hasn't been able to adjust to this role and know when to be assertive within the flow of the offense.

His role on this team should be penetration and kick out, mid range pull up j, or attack the rim. That's what he does well and he's trying to assert himself from 3 when that's simply not his strength and he has a decent team around him now with better options.

Also, he's never been a natural leader and almost faces that expectation of being a leader which makes him force things more.
While he's gifted offensively, he still is uncomfortable in this offense and doesn't know when to assert himself.

zepfan

I'll make it.
Reaction Score
Jalen's problem at the 2 guard position is that he can't shoot, which must be the primary skill at that position. And at the point guard position, he may not have the foot speed against better competition.

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
Having read through this thread, I have to disagree with the posters saying Jalen is a natural 2. He's a scoring PG that has done very well distributing the ball in his career. The move to off-ball this season has definitely affected him. If it's Hurley's plan to keep Gilbert as the lead PG because of the future, then I can't blame him since I doubt this team is going very far this year, but we would definitely have more success if Jalen was allowed to run the offense more than he is doing. He has always been at his best when the ball is in his hands.

I'm disappointed with how he's played this year, but he's also not being used to his best abilities. We may have to live with him not playing to his potential if Hurley wants to install his culture and that culture means Alterique is the lead guard.

Reaction Score
it Happened every year of his career.

Ollie starts him out at the two, he doesn’t play well, injures put him back at the 1. He plays well.

He’s not a 2. He’s a scoring point guard.

Playing him there just exposes his weaknesses (hitting open jump shots), and negates his positives (playmaking).

He is a better player with the ball in his hands.

Reaction Score
Rico and Blackbird, nice analysis. Makes sense. The problem is Al is so small for a 2 guard, so it would be tough to swap positions.

Psolo12

Future Doctor of Law
Reaction Score
Rico and Blackbird, nice analysis. Makes sense. The problem is Al is so small for a 2 guard, so it would be tough to swap positions.
Would the only option then be playing them at different times?

pj

Reaction Score

I don't get the size issue. Defensively they can swap and AG defend the opposing point guard. Offensively Jalen could be the PG and Al the SG.

That said, I'm not convinced this is the key problem. These two guards should be flexible in their roles, playing the PG or SG role situationally. It's a serious failure of Jalen if he can only play one style of play.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I don't get the size issue. Defensively they can swap and AG defend the opposing point guard. Offensively Jalen could be the PG and Al the SG.

That said, I'm not convinced this is the key problem. This two guards should be flexible in their roles, playing the PG or SG role situationally. It's a serious failure of Jalen if he can only play one style of play.

I agree. Jalen is Bazz and Alterique is Boat. Bazz ran the point early and often but there were plenty of times they switched roles on offense. Remember the time in the Kentucky game where Bazz pushed Boat out of the way 'cause he was running the play and Boat needed to switch out rather than come to the ball.

Start Jalen handling the ball, wear him out early and often doing it, then let Gilbert take over a bit and then each take time leading the team as fouls, game success and other factors play in.

Jalen is not Rashed or Ben or Lamb. It would be better to put CV at the 2 and bring Gilbert off the bench than run it as we are.

Hankster

What do I know.
Reaction Score
Can he?
I agree on that question. Honestly a couple of years ago he did take it to the hoop and score. However, maybe just ,e but I think he gets crushed going to the hole. Crushed or get's his pocket picked. Although this topic is about Jalen, Gilbert should be included. Both of them get their pockets picked. Nova game Jalen got trapped, three players. Instead of calling a timeout, he fought them and one player just took the ball from and score. Turnover and 2 points. Not good showings from STAR guards. Only difference is Gilbert will come through with a timely three.

Reaction Score
No excuses for Jalens play, 1 or 2 it doesn't really matter in this offense it's wide open. You make the plays if you have the chance, they use the picks and either make a move or hand it off to another guard who has that same opportunity. The guy is a TO machine, careless with the ball this year. With Gilbert he's handling it less and turning it over at a higher rate so this is not the guy I want with the ball in his hands more, no way. I do want the guy who had his head screwed on right more often on teams who stunk but maybe that's the issue? He just was more comfortable on a team with less expectations in which he was the man. And please just a couple times a game get a little closer to your guy on D and pretend.

Whatever it is he needs to find his game I could care less if he's the 1 or 2 just make plays and be smarter with the ball. Obviously we need him to be that guy or 9-9 will be our season in the league.

Reaction Score
There is way to much worry here about who's bringing the ball across half court. Antoine Anderson was the guy bringing it up and initiating the offense most of the time last year. They'd run Jalen off a few screens and get him the ball off a little motion then he'd go one on one which is exactly what they are running for him this year. This way he doesn't have to attack a stationary defense and can get his man off balance and out of position or force a switch and a mismatch before he gets the ball. The problem is his decision making once he has the ball. He's still getting the vast majority of possessions. He's just making worse decisions for whatever reason.

On the whole though other than turnovers this is still his most efficient year scoring wise. It just looks worse because he's had a couple of bad games in big spots. He's had games like this every year though. His strength is driving right and his counter is a mid range pull-up. When a good team stops him from driving and he's not hitting from mid range its going to look bad because he doesn't find other ways to score. He doesn't hit threes and he never gets to the foul line both of which would cover up low percentage shooting days. He's not perfect and is a victim of high expectations because of those who came before him. He's just not those guys and isn't going to suddenly become them but he will still be the team's leading scorer and one of the best players in the conference.

evmore

FRIENDOftheprogram
Reaction Score
Way too many times in the past years the team would always fall behind by a lot and then make a furious comeback. The hallmarks with him and this team in prior years was inconsistency. Sadly, he looks worse to me than before. He either looks like he is ready to break out into laughter or tears. Hope for everyone's sake including himself he can pull it together for the league schedule.

Lets not deceive ourselves, Jalen has obvious holes that separate him from the Kemba's & Shabazz' of the world.. The inconsistent shooting is clear, as are his turnovers. Year to year there has not been a progressive improvement. It isn't a shame or anything like that, he will still have a career in basketball, but coming out as a 5 star player we expected so much more... That is on us, not him. We believed the hype and highlight reel to be truth and set expectations based off of those things. When you actually watch him play you can clearly see that there is a difference between his highlight reel and his game through 48 minutes. He is a freak athlete, has an insane ability to drive right, plays great transition Defense with 'Top10 plays' blocks regularly, but he isn't Kemba Walker or Shabazz Napier. We need to stop wishing he were.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I agree. Jalen is Bazz and Alterique is Boat. Bazz ran the point early and often but there were plenty of times they switched roles on offense. Remember the time in the Kentucky game where Bazz pushed Boat out of the way 'cause he was running the play and Boat needed to switch out rather than come to the ball.

Start Jalen handling the ball, wear him out early and often doing it, then let Gilbert take over a bit and then each take time leading the team as fouls, game success and other factors play in.

Jalen is not Rashed or Ben or Lamb. It would be better to put CV at the 2 and bring Gilbert off the bench than run it as we are.
Jalen is not Bazz by any stretch of the imagination. Bazz was a better leader and his range started at the gym door.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
No excuses for Jalens play, 1 or 2 it doesn't really matter in this offense it's wide open. You make the plays if you have the chance, they use the picks and either make a move or hand it off to another guard who has that same opportunity. The guy is a TO machine, careless with the ball this year. With Gilbert he's handling it less and turning it over at a higher rate so this is not the guy I want with the ball in his hands more, no way. I do want the guy who had his head screwed on right more often on teams who stunk but maybe that's the issue? He just was more comfortable on a team with less expectations in which he was the man. And please just a couple times a game get a little closer to your guy on D and pretend.

Whatever it is he needs to find his game I could care less if he's the 1 or 2 just make plays and be smarter with the ball. Obviously we need him to be that guy or 9-9 will be our season in the league.
Agreed. A lot of excuses are being made and some are pretending Jalen doesn't have the ball in his hands to create. Jalen always has the ball in his hands, Hurley has said over and over he wants Jalen to be selfish, shoot 30 shots, take over, have a Jimmer type senior year etc. Jalen has been given the keys to take over and to dominate games and he has failed to do so over and over. It's on Jalen.

Reaction Score
Jalen's difficulty playing within Hurley's system is a headache now, but bodes well for the team's future.

Unlike the last two years where team's success was riding on the iso game of Jalen, he's forced to play more team ball. The returnees for next year will be better poised for life w/o Jalen and mesh more smoothly with our '19 class.

Reaction Score
There is way to much worry here about who's bringing the ball across half court. Antoine Anderson was the guy bringing it up and initiating the offense most of the time last year. They'd run Jalen off a few screens and get him the ball off a little motion then he'd go one on one which is exactly what they are running for him this year. This way he doesn't have to attack a stationary defense and can get his man off balance and out of position or force a switch and a mismatch before he gets the ball. The problem is his decision making once he has the ball. He's still getting the vast majority of possessions. He's just making worse decisions for whatever reason.

On the whole though other than turnovers this is still his most efficient year scoring wise. It just looks worse because he's had a couple of bad games in big spots. He's had games like this every year though. His strength is driving right and his counter is a mid range pull-up. When a good team stops him from driving and he's not hitting from mid range its going to look bad because he doesn't find other ways to score. He doesn't hit threes and he never gets to the foul line both of which would cover up low percentage shooting days. He's not perfect and is a victim of high expectations because of those who came before him. He's just not those guys and isn't going to suddenly become them but he will still be the team's leading scorer and one of the best players in the conference.

Thank you, I think you're exactly right. What we're seeing from Jalen this year is basically the same thing we've seen every other year.

People in this thread are remembering a few games against the Tulanes and ECUs of the world where he put us on his back and entirely forgetting the rest of his body of work.

He hasn't made the leap, and that's disappointing, but he hasn't regressed either.

Reaction Score
I'm trying to find time to watch last year's Oregon and MSU games, when Jalen and Al are playing together. Might be some clues about fixing our current problems.

Reaction Score
Time to move on and work with Viral and Gilbert as the primary guards. They aren’t unbelievable but at least they make an effort. And I think Gilbert might have a pretty high upside. It will take a year to get his game fully back

Reaction Score
Agreed. A lot of excuses are being made and some are pretending Jalen doesn't have the ball in his hands to create. Jalen always has the ball in his hands, Hurley has said over and over he wants Jalen to be selfish, shoot 30 shots, take over, have a Jimmer type senior year etc. Jalen has been given the keys to take over and to dominate games and he has failed to do so over and over. It's on Jalen.

That was also my point though.

Jalen doesn’t take over unless forced. Never has.

That’s a between the ears thing. And an unselfish player is not necessarily a bad thing, but if that is what it is..then at least put him in a position where he can play make...instead of making his role to clank jump shots. Granted, I’m not sure if it’s an unselfish player thing or a “just wants to be liked” thing.

It’s unfortunate that he didn’t become what he could have. Some of that is certainly on him. Some of it was just the nature of his personality. (He’s not a “killer”), but some of it is on Uconn. The Uconn coaching staff has repeatedly failed the kid, and I’m not sure the current staff has enough time to fix it.

People sometimes make this a Gil vs Jalen thing. Gil hasn’t been anything to write home about either. (With his own, perfectly valid reasons). And certainly doesn’t garner the attention Jalen gets on defense.

Reaction Score
That was also my point though.

Jalen doesn’t take over unless forced. Never has.

That’s a between the ears thing. And an unselfish player is not necessarily a bad thing, but if that is what it is..then at least put him in a position where he can play make...instead of making his role to clank jump shots. Granted, I’m not sure if it’s an unselfish player thing or a “just wants to be liked” thing.

It’s unfortunate that he didn’t become what he could have. Some of that is certainly on him. Some of it was just the nature of his personality. (He’s not a “killer”), but some of it is on Uconn. The Uconn coaching staff has repeatedly failed the kid, and I’m not sure the current staff has enough time to fix it.

People sometimes make this a Gil vs Jalen thing. Gil hasn’t been anything to write home about either. (With his own, perfectly valid reasons). And certainly doesn’t garner the attention Jalen gets on defense.

Explain to me how the coaching staff failed Jalen? Did they fail Bazz, Boat?

Jalen is failing Jalen and his teammates.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom