It's official- Baylor series renewed for two more seasons!!! | The Boneyard

It's official- Baylor series renewed for two more seasons!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
Game to be in CT next year. Can I buy tix now?

Speculation is the game will be played February during "rivalry week." If so, ESPN got their way.

Just got the text from COurant. Link, I'm sure, will follow.

bruinbball

@biglurp
Reaction Score
I got the text as well! I'm pumped. I told my wife we will vacation in Connecticut next year to see a UConn home game - I will do my best to make it the Baylor game. :)

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
wow i'm a bit surprised. i wonder if the Baylor AD put pressure on Kim to accept. i don't blame her for not wanting the game in February. but i think it will clearly be a battle between #1 and #2, and i don't think anyone will be close to Baylor or UCONN next year, except maybe Duke...

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
I think Kim may have taken a look around and realized the big XII is not going to be a gauntlet next year in all likelihood, and this was a great game to get her kids geared up for the postseason. Additionally, it's a great game for WCBB in general, one that I think both teams had a responsibility to the advancement of the sport to play. Realize not everyone agrees with me on that one.

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
Sorry, I'm one of the disagree folks. Yes, coaches have a responsibility for the greater good, but that is 2nd to their responsibility to their employer / team (however you want to phrase it). In this case, I suspect the 2 coincide.

As a side note, I am pretty sure that there is little that is going to advance the sport. It really seems like there is little dent put in the traditional sports fan base by anything. Good games just draw a higher percentage of folks who are already fans of either WBB or the teams playing.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
Anecdotally, I participate actively on a Texas football message board. The only times WBB has ever been discussed is a) UConn's streak, b) people who don't follow WBB bitching about why Coach G isn't winning, c) A&M winning it all (with some of B mixed in), and d) last month's UConn/Baylor game. That's it.

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
This is really big. UConn in Texas is a good recruiting tool. Gotta wonder after Griner leaves who Baylor has coming in on their radar.

Reaction Score
Great news.

The only thing that would've been better was if they had it in Waco with CollegeGameDay.

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
It was easy to see this coming. ESPN gets a game -- THE Game, for now -- that will attract viewers like no other wcbb contest. Baylor gets to solidify its position as the dominant team in Texas and that will help their recruiting in the Lone Star State and maybe beyond. UConn goes on national TV (again!) to reinforce its stature in wcbb and boost national and Texas recruiting.

And, Oh Yeah, there was one other consideration. $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
Can someone tell me that it was ever more than speculation that Mulkey was the one preventing this deal from being made earlier. There has been a lot of fan speculation and I never saw one official report that said that it was Mulkey who prevented this from being agreed upon sooner. Mulkey actually commented at one time that she would like to see the top teams play each other twice each year.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
This is really big. UConn in Texas is a good recruiting tool. Gotta wonder after Griner leaves who Baylor has coming in on their radar.

Please don't mention BG leaving...I am trying to block that out for another year...

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
Kim went on record saying she didn't want to play OOC games during the Big 12 Season. That led to the speculation that the series wouldn't be renewed. UConn, Geno and the TV networks want the game to be played in Jan/Feb time period instead of November/December that Kim prefers. It appears that Baylor and Kim no longer object to next years game being played during the Big 12 Season. I suspect the return game at Baylor will be held in November/December time period. A worthy compromise by both coaches and schools.

Can someone tell me that it was ever more than speculation that Mulkey was the one preventing this deal from being made earlier. There has been a lot of fan speculation and I never saw one official report that said that it was Mulkey who prevented this from being agreed upon sooner. Mulkey actually commented at one time that she would like to see the top teams play each other twice each year.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
Kim went on record saying she didn't want to play OOC games during the Big 12 Season. That led to the speculation that the series wouldn't be renewed. UConn, Geno and the TV networks want the game to be played in Jan/Feb time period instead of November/December that Kim prefers. It appears that Baylor and Kim no longer object to next years game being played during the Big 12 Season. I suspect the return game at Baylor will be held in November/December time period. A worthy compromise by both coaches and schools.

I like the word "speculation.' However, everyone is talking like it was a fact.

Maybe it was about Baylor asking for more money and ESPN came through. Who knows what all played into the delay and the ultimate decision. I am just glad that Kim was not the reason that WCBB fell apart and disappeared into obscurity.

And I am thrilled that we get to see BG play against UCONN again, guaranteed. She should be coming off of her Olympic experience and may be unstoppable after that time spent with the national team coaches. She will be a beast next year and Baylor is adding a top 10 recruiting class to improve their depth, in addition to getting Shanay Washington and Mariah Chandler back. These may be two of the most talented teams to ever match up on women's college basketball.

Reaction Score
This is a good thing! Baylor and UConn are the two best teams next year, and this game will serve to elevate all of WCBB.

I wonder how Tennessee feels about .... dropping out of its marquee matchup with UConn ...That was the game everyone looked forward to all across the country. Now UT isn't promoted as much, for the time being, it is Baylor who has filled in the void.

Already looking forward to this game next year..... it is going to be GREAT!!

Reaction Score
in addition to getting Shanay Washington and Mariah Chandler back. These may be two of the most talented teams to ever match up on women's college basketball.

Washington isn't coming back this year? Geez, what happened to her that she's missing 2 years. Ugh.

Reaction Score
... Oh Yeah, there was one other consideration. $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Everybody nod heads now in agreement!

Just one question - does ANYBODY have any evidence that any television channel pays any school actual money (not just visibility/exposure) to broadcast wcbb games? Besides CPTV, of course.

Well?

Reaction Score
... I wonder how Tennessee feels about .... dropping out of its marquee matchup with UConn ...

This is for zls44, who asked "Who?"

. . . . . . . . . . . . . Mr. Marquis Matchup

eddie-murphy-.jpg

DieHardHusky

The Blue Guy
Reaction Score
I'm pumped about this. Would've been nice to see a series with TENN but, I won't even go there. Can't wait to see how loud next year's game is!

RadyLady

The Glass is Half Full
Reaction Score
I for one am looking forward to it.

A thought...Connecticut has had consistancy in superlative teams year in and year out for a long time now, as had Tennessee, though Tennessee is waning now with the most unfortunate circumstance of Summitt's illness. My point is that there have been flashes of greatness of other teams throughout the years, but flashes only and Baylor of course had been an example of this. My question is, with Griner and Sims there, they are enjoying some of that greatness these days. Griner will be gone in another year, so will that greatness subside as well, or has KM built enough of a foundation to continue. perhaps not at the very top, but in the run for the top 4 or 5?

Sims is a competitor and a really good player, can she carry the team? What talent are they bringing in?

I guess I am also asking, that if UConn vs TN were once considered as the marquee game in WCBB and now UConn and Baylor are now, dos Baylor have enough to maintain this in the post Griner era, and also, where does ND fit in this mix? They had Ruth Riley and won a title, then she left and they slipped down.....Now with Diggens, they are back again, but Diggens will be gone as well...?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom